Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco half price lamb?

Options
  • 09-04-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

Hi all, picked up some lamb today for Easter and noticed it was showing as half price but how do I know of what i paid was the full price or half price. I asked afterward and was told that the price was correct but I dunno...does this seem like half price for a leg of lamb? (We hardly ever buy lamb..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You paid €18? That's full price

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Veee doneagal lass

To me 18 is full price before sticker been put on??

The sticker says the price shown is inclusive of deduction - this is usual for promotions in my experience.

Whether it is good value or not is a different question.

Edit: it's similar on the website
    https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32830467

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The yellow sticker to the right of the price label says that the price shown includes the discount (I know this as I spotted this same deal in Tesco yesterday!) Which implies that at one stage, your leg of lamb was priced at €36ish. Yes, I know, this is unlikely in the extreme... but you'll get a similar (if not slightly bigger) leg in Lidl for the same money that you paid for yours, without any claims of any discounts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

2.2kg of a premium whole leg will be about €30+ in a butchers.

So €18 seems about right as a "half price" off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

How much does a butcher make from the whole lamb then?
    Does he get 30 for each leg ... that's 120.
    Just curious to know what the profit margins are?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Thats the Finest Tesco brand one.Thats gonna be more expensive.Thats why its so dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

It's about right. The price of lambs are gone so high I know of people in the farming community that are finding the skins and entrails of lambs in their fields from poachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

john9876 wrote: »
    How much does a butcher make from the whole lamb then?
    Does he get 30 for each leg ... that's 120.
    Just curious to know what the profit margins are?

Only 2 "leg of lamb" cuts per animal: that's the back legs. Front legs are, shoulders iirc, or some other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Leg of lamb in Aldi is €7.19 per kg (down from €8.69), so yours is not much dearer.

But as dubstarr pointed out, you purchased Tesco's Finest which is their premium brand and priced accordingly.

Just forget about the price and enjoy the roast. I'm sure it will be delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement