Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cages - meh

Options
  • 10-04-2020 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

I'm sure a lot of you have a car and a bike. It's common enough.

After spending 21 years on bikes I decided to take the leap and bought a nice SUV with the missus. Ive only ever had a learner's permit and it long since expired. The last car was hers and she did all the driving in it. A recent health (life or death) scare made me change my attribute to learning to drive a car.

I know the controls and took to the whole car thing like a duck to water so it was no big mystery but by f*ck is it boring !!! Doesn't compare to bikes at all does it.

Am I doing it wrong or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your meant to get it up onto two wheels . That's where the craic starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »

After spending 21 years on bikes I decided to take the leap and bought a nice SUV with the missus. Ive only ever had a learner's permit and it long since expired. The last car was hers and she did all the driving in it. A recent health (life or death) scare made me change my attribute to learning to drive a car.

I know the controls and took to the whole car thing like a duck to water so it was no big mystery but by f*ck is it boring !!! Doesn't compare to bikes at all does it.

You bought an SUV. Just like bikes there are fun cars and boring cars, you got the boring car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Prepare for giant pain in the hoop. You’ll have to do the theory test and take a shed load of lessons if you’ve let it expire. I was couriering for 20 years and failed the theory 3 times and the test twice, thought I new it all!
    Drive both now, but only use the car for shopping, giving lifts. Tried driving into work in the car and it added nearly an hour to my journey, never again.
    It’s a micra by the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

You're not wrong. I've the inverse experience, driven a car for a long time and only finally threw my leg over a bike last year and almost every one of the 1000 or so miles on the bike was more exciting/enjoyable than any of the couple of hundred thousand on four wheels.

True, there are a fun cars but even if you could afford them (Ferrari, Porsche etc), Irish roads will not get the most from them so bike for fun, car for function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

True, there are a fun cars but even if you could afford them (Ferrari, Porsche etc), Irish roads will not get the most from them so bike for fun, car for function.

You don't need 200mph supercar to have fun in a car. That's like saying you can only have fun in a car on track if you have a F1 car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

beauf wrote: »
    You don't need 200mph supercar to have fun in a car. That's like saying you can only have fun in a car on track if you have a F1 car.

This.
    Imprezas are good craic especially when you drive them hard through corners, there are some low end cheap cars that are great craic.
    Same thing with bikes, if you gave me a 125cc or gold wing I'd hate every second. Love my cbr, my e90 318d is a lovely car but dull as dish water to drive. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My car has rear wheel drive and factory sport suspension and I like how it clings to the road but I stick to the speed limit and couldn't ever consider it anything resembling fun even though it is a sport version :rolleyes:
    Still like it a lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's been a move to rock hard suspensions, and sticky Tyre's in the modern era, which is all about increasing speed in ideal conditions, like a race track, at race track speeds.

There is a counter movement about lightness, skinny tyres, and softer suspension. A more nuanced approach.

So when people put a supercharger and dropped suspension in their MX5 they are largely missing the point.

Not that out right performance doesn't have a its place. It certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If this was that other site yed all be in Buswalds.....and rightly so....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭H_Lime

After spending 21 years on bikes I decided to take the leap and bought a nice SUVwith the missus. Ive only ever had a learner's permit and it long since expired. The last car was hers and she did all the driving in it. A recent health (life or death) scare made me change my attribute to learning to drive a car.

Whenever I hear a person living in Ireland referring to their car thing as an suv I'm always simultaneously reminded of svu law and order, which is ****, and oversized cars stuck in traffic with angry mothers wearing shades on top of their heads.
    Enjoy yer svuing and post a pic of you in it wearing shades on top of your head for a larf:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dunno - but I hear it's called staying alive......

BarryD2 wrote: »

How's yer own motorcycle treating you Barry in d2?

H_Lime wrote: »
    How's yer own motorcycle treating you Barry in d2?

Maybe its Barry and he owns a D2 :D

Screenshot-20200410-180321.jpg

If our barry in d2 owned that beautiful ol thing I'd say he wouldn't be on here with so many opinions about so many things;)

H_Lime wrote: »
    If our barry in d2 owned that beautiful ol thing I'd say he wouldn't be on here with so many opinions about so many things;)

He only mentioned Staying Alive.
    Personally I prefer Night Fever but yeah Staying Alive would be one of their better ones alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Learned to drive and passed the test in my mam's car, 1994, got my first bike the next year and passed the full A test the year after.
    Our family car is in the wife's name.
    I've never actually owned a car and I'm kinda aiming to get through life without ever having done so :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

blade1 wrote: »
    He only mentioned Staying Alive.
    Personally I prefer Night Fever but yeah Staying Alive would be one of their better ones alright.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

- Over Macho Grande?
    - I'll never get over Macho Grande.

- A hospital? What is it?
    - It's a large building with patients, but that's not important rgiht now.

- Surely you can't tbe serious.
    - I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

- The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
    - The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
    - The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
    - No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
    - The red zone has always been for loading.
    - Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading.
    - Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone shít again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.
    - Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.

- Jacobs, I want to know absolutely everything that's happened up till now.
    - Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

- Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines.

- Excuse me, I speak jive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

BarryD2 wrote: »

Oh look, Carol Baskins has a boards account.

Is ‘cage’ commonly used by motorbike owners or is it just the idiot ones?

• Advertisement

I never heard of it in 32 years of owning my own bikes other than on here and even then mostly refering to some other website.

blade1 wrote: »
    I never heard of it in 32 years of owning my own bikes other than on here and even then mostly refering to some other website.

There was a mad lad used to post it all the time in the car forums, always seems an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Here's another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Clickbait title is clickbait ;)

I don't use the word "cage" in real life or even on forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just knobheads...it makes them feel like "real bikers"........:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

How dare they say cage! Crimes against humanity. Kill him!
    Seriously, cry me a river.
    It's commonly used on biker.ie as you get banned for "cage talk" and rightfully so. You don't talk about cars on a biker forum. Same as you don't go to cycling forum and ask what is the most economical car.

I do like the term "cage rage". Encapsulates the frustration inherent in the activity.

As the old Irish ad from 40 years ago said:
    #If you, had the only, car in the world# (sung)
    You could drive as you please.
    But you haven't.
    And you can't.
    Keep left. Pass right.
    That's the basic rule of lane discipline.
    Most still have no clue with that one
    And we've all met the creeper.
    Now he's banjaxed TWO lanes of traffic.
    (Filmed on the Long Mile Road with a black Merc very reminiscent of Charlie Haughey, in the right-most straight ahead lane pulling across the lead car in the right turn lane)

Advertisement