Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours (not parties)

Options
  • 10-04-2020 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi everyone, some advise please. I’m an owner occupier in a two bed apartment in south Dublin. I’ll be living here Nearly 10 years this year. My problem is the first 8 years was a dream. The neighbour above me sold her apartment and now it is rented. The landlord did some works and now I can hear EVERYTHING. Washing dishes, water tank, water pump, footsteps, food blender etc etc
    I’m so upset by it all. I have tried contacting the landlord via management company but they said he is dealing with a letting agency and they are not responding.
    I’ve called up to the apartment once or twice and some issues have been resolved but it’s like it’s getting worse. I heard someone use the toilet the other morning.
    Previous to these tenants I had heard very little of anything. I didn’t even know previous tenants had moved out. I don’t want to cause any problems but it’s so frustrating. It’s my home and I’m beginning to hate being here. I go out for long periods just to avoid being here. I worked so hard for it. Any advise please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's not the fault of the tenants.

You can't expect them to not use the toilet or not walk around.

Something else has changed. Has there been a reduction in background noises (traffic etc)?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At a start, download a sound meter to your phone. Try "decibel x" free

Record the ambient noise levels when your neighbours are doing Normal things such as walking around, flushing toilet etc.

Post the results here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

If the landlord did upgrade works, he possibly removed some items ie: floor underlay or sound proof underlay.

In some developments this sound barrier is a legal requirement.

Check with the management company regarding this possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cheap laminate flooring

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

blackbox wrote: »
    It's not the fault of the tenants.

You can't expect them to not use the toilet or not walk around.

Something else has changed. Has there been a reduction in background noises (traffic etc)?

Oh I know it’s not their fault. I’m not blaming them at all. No nothing else has changed only work that was carried out in the apartment. That’s why it’s so frustrating

• Advertisement

Cheap laminate flooring

No underlay was what I was thinking but apparently the flooring wasn’t changed

e.r wrote: »
    If the landlord did upgrade works, he possibly removed some items ie: floor underlay or sound proof underlay.

In some developments this sound barrier is a legal requirement.

Check with the management company regarding this possibly?

Well I have had numerous dealings with them and they keep fobbing me off to try get in contact with the letting agents. They are not very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If nothing has changed it sounds like the previous occupants were incredibly quiet and what you’re experiencing now is normal enough when living in apartment.

Have you checked with your neighbours to see if they have the same issue ?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    At a start, download a sound meter to your phone. Try "decibel x" free

Record the ambient noise levels when your neighbours are doing Normal things such as walking around, flushing toilet etc.

Post the results here please.

Will do. Thanks was looking for something like that.

If nothing has changed it sounds like the previous occupants were incredibly quiet and what you’re experiencing now is normal enough when living in apartment.

Have you checked with your neighbours to see if they have the same issue ?

I have asked other neighbours and they are not experiencing the same as me with the pump water tank dishes etc. I know you are not going to get silence in apartments but I think to this volume is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I feel for you op, its why I will probably choose a tent over an apartment if faced with the choice again. Absolutely horrendous for your mental health... Selling apartment as soon as you can and getting into a house an option? In the one apartment I had with a pump, I used to turn if off at night, all you really need decent pressure for, is showering...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Wurley wrote: »
    Hi everyone, some advise please. I’m an owner occupier in a two bed apartment in south Dublin. I’ll be living here Nearly 10 years this year. My problem is the first 8 years was a dream. The neighbour above me sold her apartment and now it is rented. The landlord did some works and now I can hear EVERYTHING. Washing dishes, water tank, water pump, footsteps, food blender etc etc
    I’m so upset by it all. I have tried contacting the landlord via management company but they said he is dealing with a letting agency and they are not responding.
    I’ve called up to the apartment once or twice and some issues have been resolved but it’s like it’s getting worse. I heard someone use the toilet the other morning.
    Previous to these tenants I had heard very little of anything. I didn’t even know previous tenants had moved out. I don’t want to cause any problems but it’s so frustrating. It’s my home and I’m beginning to hate being here. I go out for long periods just to avoid being here. I worked so hard for it. Any advise please

As an interim solution consider downloading some sea, wave and beach sounds from you tube or you can also put it on your tele also which is very pleasant. Theres like 8 hours at the sea videos. Long term they might need to fit carpet if they have a wooden floors( check your title lease) oe you may need to rip out the plasterboard ceiling and insert rockwool and replaster it if space. What is your ceiling made of incidentally is it reinforced concrete dividing floors or just wooden beams with plasterboard? Is it a conversion or was it purpose built?

lomb wrote: »
    As an interim solution consider downloading some sea, wave and beach sounds from you tube or you can also put it on your tele also which is very pleasant. Theres like 8 hours at the sea videos. Long term they might need to fit carpet if they have a wooden floors( check your title lease) oe you may need to rip out the plasterboard ceiling and insert rockwool and replaster it if space. What is your ceiling made of incidentally is it reinforced concrete dividing floors or just wooden beams with plasterboard? Is it a conversion or was it purpose built?

the carpet would be good for impact noises. The other job is very high risk , cost when you may not get much of a benefit...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the carpet would be good for impact noises. The other job is very high risk , cost when you may not get much of a benefit...

I've had a bit of experience in soundproofing on a few of my jobs. Rockwool and 2 layers of thick plasterboard I think 15mm afair block virtually all sounds even in adjacent areas. I can find exact specs if if the OP needs.

I've had a bit of experience in soundproofing on a few of my jobs. Rockwool and 2 layers of thick plasterboard I think 15mm afair block virtually all sounds even in adjacent areas. I can find exact specs if if the OP needs.

yeah, you are right about the plasterboard, adding the density. does soundbloc board make much of a difference? You'd be looking at thousands though right? I assume like vast majorioty of apartments, its hollowcore or poured concrete slab. Assuming that. Can you just put up new plasterboard over existing one, ripping it out and disposing of existing, is a bloody mess of a job.

yeah, you are right about the plasterboard, adding the density. does soundbloc board make much of a difference? You'd be looking at thousands though right? I assume like vast majorioty of apartments, its hollowcore or poured concrete slab. Assuming that. Can you just put up new plasterboard over existing one, ripping it out and disposing of existing, is a bloody mess of a job.

I thought rockwool is what insulates it? Are you saying there's a gap above it? If so could it be pumped with drilling a few holes and then a second layer or two layers of 15mm board attached. The lads that pump cavity block walls could do that and it doesn't cost much. Maybe do one room first to see?
    Does that pumped I insulation deaden it?

I think it’s plaster board ceiling. I’ll def look into that. They are purpose built apartments. I just can’t understand how it went from heading hardly anything to hearing everything. Esp the water pump and tank.

I feel for you op, its why I will probably choose a tent over an apartment if faced with the choice again. Absolutely horrendous for your mental health... Selling apartment as soon as you can and getting into a house an option? In the one apartment I had with a pump, I used to turn if off at night, all you really need decent pressure for, is showering...

Tent sounds like a good choice to be honest. We are looking into it at present but it’s the 20% Deposit is holding it up unfortunately. And I was told all will be on hold as partner is out of work for time being.

Advertisement