Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dept of Social Protection: We won’t report illegal migrants who claim dole

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

MFPM wrote: »
    Who might they be?

The illegals in the country.

Eoin Ó Broin seem to think there are 126,000 illegals here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/ireland-urged-to-regularise-status-of-undocumented-migrants-1.3031291

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭MFPM

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    The illegals in the country.

Eoin Ó Broin seem to think there are 126,000 illegals here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/ireland-urged-to-regularise-status-of-undocumented-migrants-1.3031291

Yes but your point was about a 'payment' to 'illegals', what payment are you referring to and what 'illegals' are in receipt of it?

Yes but your point was about a 'payment' to 'illegals', what payment are you referring to and what 'illegals' are in receipt of it?

The Leo bucks paid out to illegals furloughed due to the shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I worked in Social Welfare before. For all other welfare payments you need to have a GNIB card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Those working illegally for cash .The government are looking at ways to make undocumented legal and have a figure of 17000 . I wonder have they got this number from those claiming the covid-19 payment . I think anyone getting legal status the employer would refuse to put them on the books too costly and they would just end up on welfare . This only work in a few cases where they are self employed .
    yenom wrote: »
    I worked in Social Welfare before. For all other welfare payments you need to have a GNIB card.

Got any scam stories ?

• Advertisement

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Those working illegally for cash .The government are looking at ways to make undocumented legal and have a figure of 17000 . I wonder have they got this number from those claiming the covid-19 payment . I think anyone getting legal status the employer would refuse to put them on the books too costly and they would just end up on welfare . This only work in a few cases where they are self employed .

Got any scam stories ?
    Ya, anything you hear on the street is almost always true.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    The Leo bucks paid out to illegals furloughed due to the shutdown.

So if they are 'illegal' how then are they in receipt of payment? I'm not being smart but when you making an allegation you need to back it up with fact and evidence you've yet to do that.

rgossip30 wrote: »

Got any scam stories ?

How are they getting an official payment if undocumented?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

How are they getting an official payment if undocumented?

Because they have pps numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

katkev wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/pps-number-foreign-nationals-3757741-Dec2017/

https://www.mrci.ie/2020/04/22/rights-of-undocumented-workers-to-access-social-welfare-supports-during-covid-19/

The first link shows the rise in PPS numbers and the second relates to how to get the payment . There is also provision for those who can get hardship payments and are not working . . How they prove they were in employment for cash is a mystery as the employer is unlikely to prove it .
    The numbers claiming this payment will never be revealed . The government is now bleeting on the continued cost of payments and those not wanting to return to work !!

• Advertisement

katkev wrote: »

A PPS number doesn't mean you'd get it. The computers will know if you were paying PRSI on 6/3/20. No PRSI=No Covid payment.

So if they are 'illegal' how then are they in receipt of payment? I'm not being smart but when you making an allegation you need to back it up with fact and evidence you've yet to do that.

Stop wasting my time and read the OP.

This was included in it.
    Pandemic Unemployment Payment and undocumented workers

We have received confirmation that people who are currently undocumented will be considered eligible for pandemic unemployment payments provided that they have a PPSN. The information will not be shared with the Department of Justice.

Likewise, anyone who is undocumented and who believes that they have COVID-19 symptoms can engage with health services without concern about their immigration status.

A Brazilian rickshaw driver who was ordered to return home or spend a year in prison for dealing ecstasy tablets is believed to still be in Ireland three years later and collecting the Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/courtsnewsIRL/status/1374337371479625730/photo/1

What an absolute farce. Paying PUP to convicted criminals who were meant to self deport.

Advertisement