Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Locals only" shop service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

In rural areas, everyone knows everyone. Seriously.

I work in a small, relatively rural, town and it's true I would know 90% of the people I see every day. This would probably be even more true of people with shops in small villages who would know everyone within miles of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Sounds like a completely reasonable and necessary step to protect the shopkeeper, their staff and the community from blow-ins who could well be carrying the disease.

Better safe than sorry.

You do know that locals can carry the virus and infect people just as well as a "blow in" can. It might be better to follow government and WHO guidelines on social distancing and hand hygiene etc. than assuming locals have immunity and blow ins are virus ridden vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what if youre local but not a regular?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

DubCount wrote: »
    You do know that locals can carry the virus and infect people just as well as a "blow in" can. It might be better to follow government and WHO guidelines on social distancing and hand hygiene etc. than assuming locals have immunity and blow ins are virus ridden vermin.

Locals can only catch the virus through interactions with outsiders. Any steps that minimise the interactions of outsiders with the local community is for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

and how would this be enforced? By recognition? accent? by car reg ("quick Mary nip outside and check the plates") by skin colour? or by pure luck?

Loads of bollocks

You don’t know much about small village life do you Harry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Someone taking the piss walking around with an inflatable donkey under their arm is one thing, but this is a terrible idea otherwise and hopefully is discouraged. I've some elderly relatives down the country and I'm sure the local shop doesn't know me personally, but I might want to drop in to buy supplies for them. I'd rather not get into a prolonged conversation about how long my family have been in the area and whether we took the shilling/any other prejudices.

You'd have travellers putting in discrimination cases left right and centre.

And you'd have 'settled' people willing to chance it by putting in cases because they mentioned that they ID'ed as a woman or a transgender or a traveller or whatever, and the shop owner refused to serve them (whether that actually happened or not, one person's word against anothers).

Any shop doing it would be decimated.

The sign on the door says “locals only”. It doesn’t say “no transsexuals”.
    So how are transsexuals being discriminated against by the sign?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

mossie wrote: »
    I work in a small, relatively rural, town and it's true I would know 90% of the people I see every day. This would probably be even more true of people with shops in small villages who would know everyone within miles of the place.

Yeah, that's it. Like, my parents wouldn't know absolutely everyone in their small village but they'd know someone who does. So it's like a web of information. And the local shop owners would probably know close to 100% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

splinter65 wrote: »
    The sign on the door says “locals only”. It doesn’t say “no transsexuals”.
    So how are transsexuals being discriminated against by the sign?!?

They're all transsexual up there in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Why are Gardai not using Emergency powers?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's it. Like, my parents wouldn't know absolutely everyone in their small village but they'd know someone who does. So it's like a web of information. And the local shop owners would probably know close to 100% of people.

Absolutely. Where I live is in the sticks. I would know most people within 3km, we wouldn't all be close friends or anything but I would know who they are and they would know me. Same with the local shops - there's a shop / petrol station 3km in one direction, a village with a supermarket and smaller shop 5 km the other way. I would know most of the staff in all these, maybe not personally but they would know me as a regular. Same in town where I work, I wouldn't know them all personally but I know they're regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Would perhaps have been better if you had read all of my post where I did not condone people who had travelled after the restrictions.
    There is a difference even if you are unable to grasp that.

The 2km restriction has been in place for 2 weeks. So fair enough if people travelled prior to that, but in your post you mentioned those who travelled before Friday last. Last Friday people were not supposed to be travelling more than the 2km for non essential travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

mossie wrote: »
    Absolutely. Where I live is in the sticks. I would know most people within 3km, we wouldn't all be close friends or anything but I would know who they are and they would know me. Same with the local shops - there's a shop / petrol station 3km in one direction, a village with a supermarket and smaller shop 5 km the other way. I would know most of the staff in all these, maybe not personally but they would know me as a regular. Same in town where I work, I wouldn't know them all personally but I know they're regulars.

In fairness, I'm sure this is hard to fathom for anyone who grew up in a sizeable urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Locals can only catch the virus through interactions with outsiders. Any steps that minimise the interactions of outsiders with the local community is for the better.

Clearly nobody inside the magic circle interacts with an outsider or moves outside of the ring of steel at any time. In the unlikely event the germs make it inside the protective curtain, you can have the infected moved to the Covid-19 colony on the outskirts of the village.

Its nice to see that we are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The 2km restriction has been in place for 2 weeks. So fair enough if people travelled prior to that, but in your post you mentioned those who travelled before Friday last. Last Friday people were not supposed to be travelling more than the 2km for non essential travel.

Our was only a recommendation until recently. When people heard Harris was going to sign it into law, they rushed to their holiday homes in advance.

Stark wrote: »
    They're all transsexual up there in Dublin.

They’re a terrible bunch of big girls blouses at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the 2km limit is for exercise only

as someone posted elsewhere:
    if your business is essential the 2km does not apply
    if your business is non essential the 2km is not a waiver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Yes, the cousin I married and the sheep on the side.

Townies who actually think stuff like the above are why these kinds of divisions exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KiKi III wrote: »
    I think anyone who disregarded the government rules and travelled to somewhere they don’t normally live has to accept people are fearful they might have brought the virus with them.

If you drive from a virus hotspot to somewhere with no cases or a handful of cases, how would you expect locals to receive you?

Where is a virus hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Cienciano wrote: »
    Where is a virus hotspot?

Feel free to consult the news for a breakdown of cases by county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There was a report on Newstalk today about a shop in Fethard on Sea.

Sure, they know all about boycotts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

heatmap.png

Clearly nobody inside the magic circle interacts with an outsider or moves outside of the ring of steel at any time. In the unlikely event the germs make it inside the protective curtain, you can have the infected moved to the Covid-19 colony on the outskirts of the village.

Its nice to see that we are all in this together.

What an ignorant and idiotic comment. Simple fact is people moving unnecessarily put themselves at risk as well as other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KiKi III wrote: »
    Feel free to consult the news for a breakdown of cases by county.

So if I go into a shop in Granard and I'm from Navan, would they be within their rights to stop me? Or would I have to wait outside while they consult the news to see if its a "virus hotspot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

I have heard a couple of examples of shops in rural locations implementing a "locals only" rule and not serving any "outsiders".

When things get back to normal, these shops will be the ones complaining they don't get the business like they used to.

Dublin very often gets a bad reputation but we’re coming out on top in this. Plenty of “locals” in rural Ireland are threatening “outsiders” and threatening to do damage to their properties. Even on this forum we’ve seen it. Now this thread, locals only shops.

Proud to be a Dub. We don’t have that hate in us. We don’t see people as “outsiders”.

No doubt when this is all over we will be hearing the usual rubbish about rural Ireland dying. Well good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm over two decades living in rural Ireland and I'm still considered a 'blow-in' from Dublin, but this local only thing, if true, is a bit ridiculous - if people are ignorant enough to travel across the country, no matter where they originated from, they are staying put until the 5th of May so make sure they're spending local and at least contributing something. If the guards send them back home well and good but making enemies of people who help the local economy Now and in the future is regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Dublin very often gets a bad reputation but we’re coming out on top in this. Plenty of “locals” in rural Ireland are threatening “outsiders” and threatening to do damage to their properties. Even on this forum we’ve seen it. Now this thread, locals only shops.

Proud to be a Dub. We don’t have that hate in us. We don’t see people as “outsiders”.

No doubt when this is all over we will be hearing the usual rubbish about rural Ireland dying. Well good riddance.

You contradicted yourself. And it doesn't look good for you.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You contradicted yourself. And it doesn't look good for you.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

I have heard a couple of examples of shops in rural locations implementing a "locals only" rule and not serving any "outsiders". I fully agree with the restrictions on travel other than for essential reasons, but I think this is going further than the remit for a shop. If someone was refused service due to race, creed or membership of the travelling community, there would be protection under the Equal Status Act. However, there seems to be nothing stopping shops implementing a locals only policy.

Does anyone else think this is wrong?

I have heard a lot of ****e over the last 3 months. Should I start a thread for each individual piece of ****e I've heard or one big thread of ****e?

Advertisement