Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Locals only" shop service

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Clearly what we need here is the erection of domes over scenic villages. ****, didn't someone write a book about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

They absolutely should be served and treated the same way as everyone else. The they should be reported

I have heard a lot of ****e over the last 3 months. Should I start a thread for each individual piece of ****e I've heard or one big thread of ****e?

Sorry to break it to you but you're actually in the middle of the Covid-19 forum. Now competing with Reddit and the darker fringes of Twitter for idiocy and cow droppings. But grand fun when there's nothing on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jj880

It should happen but it wont.

Shop owners in small towns refuse money?

No chance.

More like they be ringin them up tryin to deliver then post on facebook about how terrible it is.

Spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I don’t believe this is happening on any significant scale, mountain out of a molehill imo. That said, if anybody is actually stupid and selfish enough to try to travel across the country for leisure purposes right now I would not have a great deal of sympathy for them if they are refused service in local shops.

I cannot fathom why anybody would go on holidays at the moment when there are appeals not to and nothing is open anywhere. Are there really that many travelling or is it completely blown out of proportion? I cannot believe that people are flocking to visitor destinations right now.

• Advertisement

I don’t believe this is happening on any significant scale, mountain out of a molehill imo. That said, if anybody is actually stupid and selfish enough to try to travel across the country for leisure purposes right now I would not have a great deal of sympathy for them if they are refused service in local shops.

I cannot fathom why anybody would go on holidays at the moment when there are appeals not to and nothing is open anywhere. Are there really that many travelling or is it completely blown out of proportion? I cannot believe that people are flocking to visitor destinations right now.

This. I well believe it's happening in isolated and well publicised cases. Along the line of the "No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish" gospel cos "I heard it 'cos my second cousin has a friend who knows someone in Killybegs"

You'll catch this thing from your next door neighbour of forty years - whether they live in Crumlin or Carrick-on-Shannon is irrelevant. The virus does not know any culchie or jackeen jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

DubCount wrote:
    Does anyone else think this is wrong?

No, well done to the shopkeepers.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No I don’t see anything wrong with it at all under the current circumstances. Unless someone is being discriminated against under one of the 9 grounds as specified in the Equality Act then the owner of the shop has the absolute right to refuse admission to whomever he chooses.
    Can you give me an example of why you think it’s wrong?
    TCM wrote: »
    No, well done to the shopkeepers.

I've two friends who work in medical based I.T. one who works for a software company that supplies hardware and software to hospital and community retail pharmacy and another that does the same for GPs and consultants.also.

Both of them are traveling to different parts of the country as required to keep these services up and running, are you saying that if they arrived at a shop down the country to buy fuel, a sandwich or a drink that they should be denied service?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Surely petrol stations and their shops serve anyone but I can understand local smaller shops adopting serving locals only

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm over two decades living in rural Ireland and I'm still considered a 'blow-in' from Dublin, but this local only thing, if true, is a bit ridiculous - if people are ignorant enough to travel across the country, no matter where they originated from, they are staying put until the 5th of May so make sure they're spending local and at least contributing something. If the guards send them back home well and good but making enemies of people who help the local economy Now and in the future is regressive.

It is true. RTE carried an image of a sign on a post office that said "locals only".

Not much that you can do about it really, except remember.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What defines a local though? I mean, should shops in Dublin refuse to serve someone unless they speak with a Dublin accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

It was a post office in Wexford. Inundated with visitors buying postcards.

Hardly essential.

I can see their point. Stay at home.

What defines a local though? I mean, should shops in Dublin refuse to serve someone unless they speak with a Dublin accent?

A man offered me a light in the queue for Lidl earlier (mine was audibly dying a death). From the accent I'd guess French or Spanish. Never cast eyes on him before. I ultimately didn't need it but I appreciate the kind little gesture in silent times.

The teenager who spat at me two nights ago (to impress his three giggling girlfriends) as I left the shop was certainly Dublin through and through.

You want to even ask who I'd stick on a road to nowhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    It was a post office in Wexford. Inundated with visitors buying postcards.

Hardly essential.

I can see their point. Stay at home.

Post office in Wexford. I hope they've checked with head office.
    sjZkq6y.png

Last time I bought a postcard was in the late 1980s. A stampede for them ? I'd be looking for veracity there.

Advertisement