Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions extended until 5th May

Options
  • 10-04-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I know this is necessary and that we want to avoid the monumental tragedies occuring in the rest of the world, but did anyone else feel a bit like crying when they saw how long the restrictions have been extended by?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0410/1129733-covid19-coronavirus-restrictions/

I was hoping for a further 2 weeks and then a review of the situation. The fact that it's 3 weeks into May has me really down in the dumps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

De Danann wrote: »
    I know this is necessary and that we want to avoid the monumental tragedies occuring in the rest of the world, but did anyone else feel a bit like crying when they saw how long the restrictions have been extended by?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0410/1129733-covid19-coronavirus-restrictions/

I was hoping for a further 2 weeks and then a review of the situation. The fact that it's 3 weeks into May has me really down in the dumps.

Behind every political decision lies the spin.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the may 5th date be revised down, and Fine Gael will be the heroes.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's 3 weeks until the next extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Until May 2022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Will be extended after that until after June Bank holiday, I think. Only then will they relax things but only slowly. We may not be back to normal till August. I'd say the Leaving will be grand now to go ahead, on the new dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

nullzero wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the may 5th date be revised down, and Fine Gael will be the heroes.

I seriously hope the date is revised down. They can spin it whatever way they wish! :pac:

I live in a house crowded with adults and a special needs child who misses his school and his routine...we're all going pretty crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nullzero wrote: »

I doubt it. A few day earlier might not seem like much but that would mean relaxing the restrictions just before May bank holiday weekend and risking a massive exodus that puts us back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what a surprise, its obvious as hell, that there is no plan here, other than getting their rosary beads out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

Wakey wakey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Stark wrote: »
    I doubt it. A few day earlier might not seem like much but that would mean relaxing the restrictions just before May bank holiday weekend and risking a massive exodus that puts us back to square one.

That is exactly why it is May 5th imo. That'll be the third bank holiday in lockdown mode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what a surprise, its obvious as hell, that there is no plan here, other than getting their rosary beads out!

Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I don't mind may 5 and beyond it if necessary to ensure that when things start reopening that a second wave risk might be lessened.

Ok I don't have to remain in like so many, I have to go to work so that helps, but I can appreciate how difficult it must be for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Things don't go back to normal until enough of the population has immunity either through recovering from the virus or through vaccination.

Vaccination is a long way away, and the current approach to this virus is to limit transmission as much as possible...which simply delays the point at which enough of the population has immunity.

Restrictions of some kind to continue for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All have different circumstance i know,but i for one was happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Well done FG. Never been a big supporter of them and they made a complete balls of it at the very start not shutting the borders but in fairness they are doing the right thing by the country here despite massive pressure from entitlement society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

They were always going to cancel the May bank holiday. I would imagine they had two weeks penciled in until they all realised that'd bring us right up to the bank holiday and therefore inflame the matter regarding beaches and back garden pissups (BBQs).

And there will not be a national Mardi Gras. Just a slow drift back to reality. Witness the stunned faces in Wuhan as they go clothes shopping for the first time in months.

If the Leaving is going ahead for August, then pubs might open for Halloween. There'll be a vaccine in sight by then (I hope).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I’d nearly prefer another war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    All have different circumstance i know,but i for one was happy with it.

I was happy with it too. In the absence of medical treatments or vaccines it was the only option.

I’d nearly prefer another war.

Yes, what this thread needs is automatic weapons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

BanditLuke wrote: »
    they made a complete balls of it at the very start not shutting the borders

Their reluctance to close the borders is the reason we have this extension, Slovakia and Czech Republic are slowly reopening because they didn’t waste time shutting borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

De Danann wrote: »

I agree, while it seems that it's necessary, the timing is not good for anyone. Health is most important I know, but the issue I'm having is the Property Registration Authority is closed for the last 2 weeks and this will push out any re-opening even further, I'm about to close on a house purchase, one that has not come easy for us with savings and lots of sacrifice to get to this point. The bank called the other day and were asking if we were going to draw down the money within the next 6 weeks, however, the advisor told me that there may be come a new announcement from the bank in a couple of weeks effectively putting a hold on issuing funds. As I said, health has to be the no.1 priority but there's a lot of stress being caused to people for different reasons due to the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Well done FG. Never been a big supporter of them and they made a complete balls of it at the very start not shutting the borders but in fairness they are doing the right thing by the country here despite massive pressure from entitlement society.

What pressure? I don't see anyone calling for restrictions to be relaxed. This was universally expected and pretty accepted by all, with little grumblings.

JL555 wrote: »
    I agree, while it seems that it's necessary, the timing is not good for anyone. Health is most important I know, but the issue I'm having is the Property Registration Authority is closed for the last 2 weeks and this will push out any re-opening even further, I'm about to close on a house purchase, one that has not come easy for us with savings and lots of sacrifice to get to this point. The bank called the other day and were asking if we were going to draw down the money within the next 6 weeks, however, the advisor told me that there may be come a new announcement from the bank in a couple of weeks effectively putting a hold on issuing funds. As I said, health has to be the no.1 priority but there's a lot of stress being caused to people for different reasons due to the lockdown.

There's a good reply by Sinead Ryan in todays Indo re mortgage switching. Iknow that's not what you're referring too. Basically, key staff have been reallocated to C19 duties and the advice from mortgage brokers is to hold your powder. Not advice from me, just something that struck a chord.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

And then on May 5th they will tag another two weeks onto that. And so on and so forth until god knows when. It’s been the formula so far. They can’t come out and say a full six weeks lockdown because many people wouldn’t accept that and there would be uproar. Adding on two weeks each time while encouraging our efforts to keep us going seems to be the mantra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

If only everybody was on board though. There were plenty of people shopping with their children at the supermarket where I work today. And let's not forget those who think filthy pj's and dressing gowns are appropriate attire for shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it's pissed me off and I think they showed poor judgment and understanding of how those of us who are "stranded" at home will feel about being allowed to do feck all other than what we did for the previous 14 days. I predict a riot. Well, no but I do predict that there will be flagrant bending of the rules by so many people the shut down will be undermined.

We needed a rolling 7 day review, that wouldn't seem so miserable to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

If only everybody was on board though. There were plenty of people shopping with their children at the supermarket where I work today. And let's not forget those who think filthy pj's and dressing gowns are appropriate attire for shopping.

I was reading an article earlier about a recently widowed mother of three young children. She was requesting people to be kind to parents they see shopping with their children. You don't know their situation so I wouldn't be quick to judge them for not being 'on board'.

I wont comment on the folk who wear their filthy pjs though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

De Danann wrote:

Absolutely not. From the original shutdown in middle of March it was obvious that kids wouldn't see the inside of school this side of the summer.

Here's one for you, the flatter the curve the longer the restrictions. Even when they do start to gradually lift the restrictions you might not see pubs open till the Autumn. Large gatherings like sporting events or gigs might not be back for 6 months or more.

Well it's pissed me off and I think they showed poor judgment and understanding of how those of us who are "stranded" at home will feel about being allowed to do feck all other than what we did for the previous 14 days. I predict a riot. Well, no but I do predict that there will be flagrant bending of the rules by so many people the shut down will be undermined.

We needed a rolling 7 day review, that wouldn't seem so miserable to me anyway.

We have rolling hourly reviews. Tony Houlihan and co. are not just rolled out for the cameras nightly. Those lights in Merrion Square and elsewhere are not on to keep the bats warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

What are single parents supposed to do with their children when shopping?

Advertisement