Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions extended until 5th May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

jackboy wrote: »
    What are single parents supposed to do with their children when shopping?

They weren't single parents, the dads came along too for the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jackboy wrote:

Online order & have it delivered. Only one person should be shopping. Husband should not be going in with the wife or vise versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Neighbours kids seem to have missed the news. The first weekend of restrictions there wasn’t a peep out of them. No the they are all out running around like lunatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jackboy wrote: »

Chain them to the bike racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. From the original shutdown in middle of March it was obvious that kids wouldn't see the inside of school this side of the summer.

Here's one for you, the flatter the curve the longer the restrictions. Even when they do start to gradually lift the restrictions you might not see pubs open till the Autumn. Large gatherings like sporting events or gigs might not be back for 6 months or more.

I'm very much aware of how necessary it is. It was just disheartening to see the May date in the headlines. I don't expect to see the inside of a pub or a gig before Christmas to be honest.

I have vulnerable family members and this whole thing has me very anxious for their safety. I suppose I naively was hoping that the government would announce an extension of only 2 weeks and a review like they did this time. I thought we were doing pretty well so far (not great but better than originally estimated).

It being 3 weeks instead distressed me. It's like they're saying we are bracing for impact, and the last 2 weeks were not as effective as they hoped. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I feel like they extended it to three weeks instead of two this time to prevent people acting the ejit over the May bank holiday. If the restrictions eased up right before that weekend then people would have taken the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm so annoyed that they announced this today. They could have let us get through this weekend first.

I was just gearing myself up for lasting this weekend and then probably getting told it would be another two weeks but to announce a further 3 weeks this evening just makes it so much harder.

I'm not in the worst situation by any means but I do live alone and all of my family are up in Dublin and I haven't seen them for weeks. My mother is dying already of terminal cancer so every visit counts. My grandson seems to be growing by months.

So so pissed off now.

And then you have happy clappy couples holding hands in Tescos (because they can't possibly go one at a time) and having chats with the neighbours outside where everyone has to go around them and you want just slap the head off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

0_I200402_172015_2448259oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000209987104o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Extension of restrictions and from reading posts on Facebook it seems there's still people coming over on ferries from the UK. Any passengers boarding a ferry should have proof of residency in Ireland or be turned away. Pure madness allowing in people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

0_I200402_172015_2448259oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000209987104o.jpg

Exactly

And nothing but whingers

Me me me me me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Very pissed off here. I know it shouldn't matter but when you hear of the influx on ferries and planes from the UK hile we're locked down with my 8 and 4 year old, just makes my blood boil. Was off the drink for Lent until 4.50 today, 3 more weeks of this makes me downbeat.
    I'm angry at myself too, what else did I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I'm so annoyed that they announced this today. They could have let us get through this weekend first.

I was just gearing myself up for lasting this weekend and then probably getting told it would be another two weeks but to announce a further 3 weeks this evening just makes it so much harder.

I'm not in the worst situation by any means but I do live alone and all of my family are up in Dublin and I haven't seen them for weeks. My mother is dying already of terminal cancer so every visit counts. My grandson seems to be growing by months.

So so pissed off now.

And then you have happy clappy couples holding hands in Tescos (because they can't possibly go one at a time) and having chats with the neighbours outside where everyone has to go around them and you want just slap the head off them.

I'm very sorry for your situation, that sounds dreadful. It was indeed a bit of a shock.

I know some people say if they extend it by 2 weeks each time, people are just being fooled into taking a long lockdown in bitesize chunks...but to be honest I think that method is more bearable even it's a sort of trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Think they should cancel the may bank holiday and have it sometime in september when hopefully people might have a bit more freedom and less restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nullzero wrote: »
    Behind every political decision lies the spin.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the may 5th date be revised down, and Fine Gael will be the heroes.
    Doubt it will be unless there is a complete falloff in cases and deaths. May 5th includes BH. The last thing they want to is have people heading off all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Extension of restrictions and from reading posts on Facebook it seems there's still people coming over on ferries from the UK. Any passengers boarding a ferry should have proof of residency in Ireland or be turned away. Pure madness allowing in people like that.

Over and back the bars are open

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I’d nearly prefer another war.

obviously never known anyone who lived through one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

antodeco wrote: »
    It's 3 weeks until the next extension!

I think it could be late July for any type of restriction, people will be mad going stir crazy but we need to flatten the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If the Leaving is going ahead for August, then pubs might open for Halloween. There'll be a vaccine in sight by then (I hope).
    Treatments more likely, vaccine will probably be 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When the restrictions are lifted it will not mean that the disease is gone. I will be continuing to cocoon for a good while after things start to open up again - I am fortunate that I can - but everyone who is slow to rush back into action will be one fewer to spread or catch it. We will not be sure until there is a vaccine, and that could take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm just surprised people are surprised that it was extended for three weeks to the bank holiday.

It's a **** sandwich but the numbers this week suggested it was going to need to be at least another couple of weeks before any relaxation could even be considered.

As an aside, there was no mass influx on the ferries. That was some click bait nonsense subsequently spread on Facebook by imbeciles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

De Danann wrote: »
    I'm very much aware of how necessary it is. It was just disheartening to see the May date in the headlines. I don't expect to see the inside of a pub or a gig before Christmas to be honest.

I have vulnerable family members and this whole thing has me very anxious for their safety. I suppose I naively was hoping that the government would announce an extension of only 2 weeks and a review like they did this time. I thought we were doing pretty well so far (not great but better than originally estimated).

It being 3 weeks instead distressed me. It's like they're saying we are bracing for impact, and the last 2 weeks were not as effective as they hoped. :(

The better we are doing the longer the restrictions. Because of our success we are spreading out the curve for months instead of weeks. Restrictions are a long term thing. They couldn't tell us mid March that they would be in place for two or three months as the public wouldn't accept that. It will be two weeks & another & another. You need to face up to the reality of it now. Remember as restriction are gradually eased, they won't be for everyone. Your vulnerable family members will be most likely locked down for three to six months or longer. We aren't doing away with the virus. The plan is for us to get the virus gradually over months & months. Obviously your vulnerable family members will have to stay isolated till we build up heard immunity or a vaccine.

My father in law is 89 & my own mum is 86. I don't expect to see them for several months. It's difficult but there is no quick fix with this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Its a great time for saving ;)

No excuse for anybodys house to be a tip

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

as almost every other country in the world is putting border restrictions in place, we're letting British holiday makers pour in here on ferries for the weekend. Given that Covid is ravaging the UK, its fanciful to suggest that this won't lead to infections here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Try and keep up with 2 toddlers who only have wrecking the house on their minds and doing your day job at the same time.

My place is a tip. Never been this bad.

That said I'm working full time from home.

Hopefully will make a dent in it this weekend. Nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I applaud what the government are doing , not all perfect but better than I expected. I'm surprised there wasn't check points out side those ferries turning people back and/or fining them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people are still working and looking after others. Not everyone has nothing to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Think they should cancel the may bank holiday and have it sometime in september when hopefully people might have a bit more freedom and less restrictions

Good point, postpone bank holiday until later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All of this is guesswork while the Testing is still not right.

We don’t have any idea how many cases there are.
    We dont know if the restrictions are working.

And if we don’t know that then we can’t make decisions based on facts.

Including the next bank holiday is probably the right thing to do, because it eliminates a potential second wave of infection if the country lets loose over a bank holiday.

But let’s be clear it’s not based on facts.
    Because there are not enough facts to make that decision.

• Advertisement

Bad day for me today. My first proper low day since this all started.

I feel like I'm screaming into the void at people. I live with a nurse who is incapable of cleaning up or being hygienic at the best of times, let alone now. I work in a shop and am dealing with customers abuse, families crying at me because we have no 99 cone machine, eighty year olds in to check their lotto, the homeless in dire straits because there's no one on the streets throwing them petty change. We have been roared at for asking people to use gloves, we have been roared at for asking people to wait outside, roared at for low stock, roared at for cutting our opening hours. I make less than 350 a week.

My aunt is sick with COVID, I cannot help. My sister is a nurse, I can't go console her for the things she's seen the past month. My grandad cannot speak on the phone or make food for himself. He doesn't understand what's going on and is afraid. I am trying to work on my PhD.

It's just so much, with no end in sight.

Advertisement