Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions extended until 5th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

jackboy wrote: »
    I’m sure that’s a great comfort to a single parent who has just realised that their baby is down to the last nappy or they are out of formula. Sure they can just wait for the delivery.

Don't even entertain that poster! Only looking for attention. On one hand your told not to use delivery if you can shop and then you have people here crying because a seemingly healthy parent and child have to go to a shop instead of taking up the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Wuhan shut down =76 days, don't believe they had 2 km outings. Take what you will from that.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The local Centra and SuperValu are Delivering for free. Same day delivery. Local butchers is doing the same. Even take aways that don't have a delivery service are Delivering for anyone cocooning. Anyone of any age can cocoon for any reason. There is no excuse for bringing children or your partner into the shops.

My local Supervalue is closed to new registrations. They won’t respond to emails, my parents in their 80s can’t get deliveries, or even click and collect, not from anywhere. It’s insane that there isn’t priority for the cocooned. My head is wrecked doing multiple shops in one go. I wish I had a second person who could come with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jackboy wrote:
    I’m sure that’s a great comfort to a single parent who has just realised that their baby is down to the last nappy or they are out of formula. Sure they can just wait for the delivery.

Jasus wept. We are in lockkdown. We are supposed to be thinking ahead & having a few days or week stock of these items. My children are now adults but I can promise you that we never ran out of nappies, baby food etc. What if one of your children is extremely high risk and the whole family has to cocoon? Do you suppose this family will ever run out of nappies? An at risk family will ring a volunteer & have the emergency item delivered.

If cocooning families can do it then it's a complete cop out for a single parent to hide behind these excuses. There are services set up so that you never need to leave your house let alone bring kids into the shop

I'm supposed to leave a 6 year old at home alone with 2 dogs?

No. Stay at home and mind your children. There are free services available so you don't need to leave the house with or without the kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No. Stay at home and mind your children. There are free services available so you don't need to leave the house with or without the kids

You need to think a bit more about this. I'm not going to use a service, that is extremely critical for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Ah common telling a single parent to online shop only or use the county covid response volunteers is ridiculous.

Delivery slots often only available weeks away. Tesco just had to rejig their home delivery to ensure elderly were able to get slots

All your doing is adding to already overburdened services that are desperately needed

If every single parent started using the community volunteers there will be a lot of elderly and vulrenable who'll be stuck waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Jasus wept. We are in lockkdown. We are supposed to be thinking ahead & having a few days or week stock of these items. My children are now adults but I can promise you that we never ran out of nappies, baby food etc. What if one of your children is extremely high risk and the whole family has to cocoon? Do you suppose this family will ever run out of nappies? An at risk family will ring a volunteer & have the emergency item delivered.

If cocooning families can do it then it's a complete cop out for a single parent to hide behind these excuses. There are services set up so that you never need to leave your house let alone bring kids into the shop

We are not in lockdown, there are restrictions. Bringing a child to a supermarket is not restricted.

You need to think a bit more about this. I'm not going to use a service, that is extremely critical for someone else.

Exactly Drav, absolutely zero cop on to the strain it will add to vital services

Multipass wrote:
    My local Supervalue is closed to new registrations. They won’t respond to emails, my parents in their 80s can’t get deliveries, or even click and collect, not from anywhere. It’s insane that there isn’t priority for the cocooned. My head is wrecked doing multiple shops in one go. I wish I had a second person who could come with me.

In Dublin most if not all of the SuperValu & Centra prioritise cocooners. Even Tesco now gives priority to people cocooning.
    There are services set up for this. There are volunteers who will do the shopping for them. You should contact local support services. I promise you that there isn't a town or village in Ireland that doesn't have services set up. You need to find out who they are and get in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The local Centra and SuperValu are Delivering for free. Same day delivery. Local butchers is doing the same. Even take aways that don't have a delivery service are Delivering for anyone cocooning. Anyone of any age can cocoon for any reason. There is no excuse for bringing children or your partner into the shops.

I could explain why those are not available to everyone and not everyone cocooning isn't able to accept deliveries.

But if you have to explain the obvious, it's a lost cause. Too many people are wrapped in their own bubble to have any comprehension of what's going around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have not seen one child at the shops on my last 2 runs. So I would think those taking kids are in the minority. Its very easy to judge. Some people are parenting alone, some may have a spouse working in an essential service and possibly working more than usual and then there are those parents who refuse to look after their own kids leaving one parent no choice but to take their child with them.

Avoid the children, wash your hands and wipe down all your products and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

In Dublin most if not all of the SuperValu & Centra prioritise cocooners. Even Tesco now gives priority to people cocooning.
    There are services set up for this. There are volunteers who will do the shopping for them. You should contact local support services. I promise you that there isn't a town or village in Ireland that doesn't have services set up. You need to find out who they are and get in touch.

We’re not in Dublin. They don’t want to bother the gardai, they’re independent. They would actually do their own shopping before doing that. I go so they won’t. But if we could get a damn delivery slot I wouldn’t have to.

This is a cop out. It's as critical that children & large groups don't go into shops together. The restrictions actually say this shouldn't happen.

If you listen to Leo's speach from two weeks ago you will see that Leo said that a family /household unit can exercise together regardless of the group size. He didn't make an exception for shopping. Excercise only. Everyone should be shopping on their own. While you believe that you are being selfless by not availing of services put in place for this very reason, you are actually being selfish as you are putting your children & others at risk. No offence intended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Well done FG. Never been a big supporter of them and they made a complete balls of it at the very start not shutting the borders but in fairness they are doing the right thing by the country here despite massive pressure from entitlement society.

Have to ask, who the fuk you on about .............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've seen plenty of people taking their child/children to our local SuperValu.
    Don't notice anyone bothered about it and no mention of it at door.

If someone has young kid/s then having to bring them might be the only option they have.

Where I work has a high risk of infection at all times, not just during this crisis, but I have to get on with things. A bit if cop on, hand cleaning and patience works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Multipass wrote: »

Can you do scan and shop? That way you can shop in one shop, bag yourself into who owns what and then add the bill up at the end. Might make it easier. Its not forever. I would advise that you book your delivery slot in advance now for your parents. You can amend it closer to the date but at least you have it. If you still have no luck call the store.

Incidentally a lot of services that would normally support these people are under extreme pressure with more demand. They are going from house to house and are at high risk of catching anything. So if they suspect they've got something they isolate. Thus less people doing support and more demand. So the gap isn't filled by thin air.

For many people this is their normal reality before the shutdown. The health services only provides limited support normally. Someone in the family (usually) is covering the shortfall often the majority of care and support.

They don't really need to told to order takeaways and food from Harrods.

This is a cop out. It's as critical that children & large groups ...

Your hyperbole has moved from two people to large groups of people a Wolfpack as it were shopping en mass. Nice.

Most shops are limiting the number of people in store and only allow one person in as someone leaves. No Wolfpack allowed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm supposed to leave a 6 year old at home alone with 2 dogs?

Don’t be silly. Just tie them up outside the shop.

On a more serious note, there has to be some flexibility for those with no alternative childcare options. I would object to entire families going at the same time, the other parent can stay at home or wait outside with the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Online order & have it delivered. Only one person should be shopping. Husband should not be going in with the wife or vise versa.

Online shopping sounds great, but Tesco have a 4 week fulfillment period right now. Who can wait 4 weeks for food!

This has really dragged this thread off topic.

It's was obvious they'd have to extend the restrictions. Not a surprise for most people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Adam Carter

3 more weeks on the doss? Sweet! Bring it on, not my fault if normies can't handle not being allowed to work for a few weeks.

beauf wrote: »
    Your hyperbole has moved from two people to large groups of people a Wolfpack as it were shopping en mass. Nice.

Most shops are limiting the number of people in store and only allow one person in as someone leaves. No Wolfpack allowed unfortunately.

We are taking about KIDS. Not all single parents only have one child. We are talking about children in shops. We aren't talking about one particular single person with one particular child.

From the onset I pointed out that people should be shopping alone, as per the guidelines set down two weeks ago. From the onset I said that you shouldn't go shopping with your kids or partner. Alone. One person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is a cop out. It's as critical that children & large groups don't go into shops together. The restrictions actually say this shouldn't happen.

If you listen to Leo's speach from two weeks ago you will see that Leo said that a family /household unit can exercise together regardless of the group size. He didn't make an exception for shopping. Excercise only. Everyone should be shopping on their own. While you believe that you are being selfless by not availing of services put in place for this very reason, you are actually being selfish as you are putting your children & others at risk. No offence intended

If you also listened to him today, you'd have heard him comment on issues with those who lurk behind curtains. No matter how much you feel on this, I'm not going to take the piss, by using services that were setup for people who are actually comprised by what's going on.

Sarn wrote: »
    Don’t be silly. Just tie them up outside the shop.

On a more serious note, there has to be some flexibility for those with no alternative childcare options. I would object to entire families going at the same time, the other parent can stay at home or wait outside with the kids.

Will you stop. I want to keep restrictions for as long as we can to protect as many as possible

But some right little Nazis coming out since this all started, I see two in another thread who are saying to hell with teh economy and jobs now saying the people unemployed should be sent off fruit picking for €2 an hour often dozens to a cabin if there's a food shortage as "they've nothing better to do"

Unbelievable how these people who claim to want to be doing things for the better good can't see how their actions will backfire and normal people will get so pissed off they'll start to not give a **** for a finish

One point I will agree about.

Im pretty speechless at the outpouring of volunteering from many local shops. So many offering to personally deliver to vulnerable people is humbling.

Id prefer to be talking about those positive stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Its the correct decision but still hard to take for me ath. Its a reminder of the toll this will have on people's mental health.Society will be basically be recovering from a post traumatic stress type situation.

We are taking about KIDS. Not all single parents only have one child. We are talking about children in shops. We aren't talking about one particular single person with one particular child.

From the onset I pointed out that people should be shopping alone, as per the guidelines set down two weeks ago. From the onset I said that you shouldn't go shopping with your kids or partner. Alone. One person.

Since you aren't going into shops how do you see them?

What shops are allowing massive groups of kids into their shops?

Why are you shopping in shops that allow this....

Chinese whispas? (Taste nothing like the real thing)

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its the correct decision but still hard to take for me ath. Its a reminder of the toll this will have on people's mental health.Society will be basically be recovering from a post traumatic stress type situation.

I was late to realise the mental impact this is having on many people.

Advertisement