Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions extended until 5th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Well it's pissed me off and I think they showed poor judgment and understanding of how those of us who are "stranded" at home will feel about being allowed to do feck all other than what we did for the previous 14 days. I predict a riot. Well, no but I do predict that there will be flagrant bending of the rules by so many people the shut down will be undermined.

We needed a rolling 7 day review, that wouldn't seem so miserable to me anyway.

So long as it's flagrant it'll be pretty easy for Gardai to fine/imprison them. :D

If most kids are able to accept it then I'm not sure why any adult needs to be babied with the information and told "it'll be grand in a few days" on a weekly basis to avoid tantrums.

There'll be a vaccine in sight by then (I hope).

My Health Forum answer: No there won't

All first world countries governments are waiting for the virus infection rate to die down.

Method to my madness: no vaccine for the flu epidemic in 1918.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are we not a tiny bit more advanced than 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

beauf wrote: »
    This has really dragged this thread off topic.

It's was obvious they'd have to extend the restrictions. Not a surprise for most people.

Yeah they should have announced some light at the end if the two / three week tunnel though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I was late to realise the mental impact this is having on many people.

May I ask what helped change your mind?

Fair play for being willing to admit it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Its having a massive mental toll on people under 25 or more emotional immature individuals without any sort of coping skill. Its no real fault of their own, they have been brought up in a time in Ireland where life has never been so fortunate. I am genuinely shocked by the reaction over the leaving cert. Anxiety seems to really prevalent in this age groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its having a massive mental toll on people under 25 or more emotional immature individuals without any sort of coping skill. Its no real fault of their own, they have been brought up in a time in Ireland where life has never been so fortunate. I am genuinely shocked by the reaction over the leaving cert. Anxiety seems to really prevalent in this age groups
    Snowflake Syndrome.

They'll survive. :rolleyes:

Lundstram wrote: »
    Snowflake Syndrome.

They'll survive. :rolleyes:

There's a degree of lacking perspective among LC students but I definitely sympathise. They've effectively lost the last summer with their school friends in exchange for an extra two months of unfocused, preoccupied study at home and might then have to move very quickly from exams to college.

They'll get over it but it's a nightmare way to end their school life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

wadacrack wrote: »

Is it? I'm 24, and sure it's not exactly great fun. But me and my friend group all have worn so we're busy. We talk everyday.

Yea it's **** we can't go for a pint, but we're coping fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah they should have announced some light at the end if the two / three week tunnel though !

Holohan is just winging it based on delayed test results coming back from Germany, he's not going to tell Harris what to do just yet, so we all have to stay at home and claim the dole for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Downlinz wrote: »
    There's a degree of lacking perspective among LC students but I definitely sympathise. They've effectively lost the last summer with their school friends in exchange for an extra two months of unfocused, preoccupied study at home and might then have to move very quickly from exams to college.

They can just repeat. What difference will another year in school make to kids at that age (ages 4 to 18)? The Dept. Of Education needs to "write off", in effect, this entire academic year as if it never existed and start afresh next September if conditions allow. Home schooling or remote learning is neither effective nor healthy.

May I ask what helped change your mind?

Fair play for being willing to admit it tho

Not that my mind charged. I was just too busy to think about it. Then I noticed some people struggling with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

nullzero wrote: »
    Behind every political decision lies the spin.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the may 5th date be revised down, and Fine Gael will be the heroes.
    Like earlier ? We will be lucky to get out of this by Paddy's Day !! I can't see how people think otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

chicorytip wrote: »
    They can just repeat. What difference will another year in school make to kids at that age (ages 4 to 18)? The Dept. Of Education needs to "write off", in effect, this entire academic year as if it never existed and start afresh next September if conditions allow. Home schooling or remote learning is neither effective nor healthy.

The world will write off this year, third level and second level will be all held back a year and we will go from there. If we are lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Extension of restrictions and from reading posts on Facebook it seems there's still people coming over on ferries from the UK. Any passengers boarding a ferry should have proof of residency in Ireland or be turned away. Pure madness allowing in people like that.

It's itinerants that are coming over on ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Technically they are never more than 2km from their home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Downlinz wrote: »

The whole country has lost months and likely two or three more without their friends. Spare me the teenage bleeding hearts. It's an inconvenience not a nightmare. Screaming mental health, anxiety and depression over this is just downright insulting to those with genuine mental problems.

LC has to go ahead as no way will colleges survive without first year students.

That's life, deal with it.

chicorytip wrote: »

Repeating is the smart option but there's a huge stigma against it as it's seen as "failure" in many families.

The kindest solution for LC students is to enforce repeating the year and take the decision out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Are we not a tiny bit more advanced than 100 years ago.

I was looking at photos from that pandemic and they were all wearing masks. Apparently, they were not sure if it was a virus that was causing it, but they did know about keeping the sick from the healthy. It's quite fascinating the same stuff we are doing now, they did back then.

So, maybe for this not as advanced as we think. Especially if the health system is overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Proof?

Also, wasn't new legislation brought in that travellers cannot be moved on?

• Advertisement

I was looking at photos from that pandemic and they were all wearing masks. Apparently, they were not sure if it was a virus that was causing it, but they did know about keeping the sick from the healthy. It's quite fascinating the same stuff we are doing now, they did back then.

So, maybe for this not as advanced as we think. Especially if the health system is overwhelmed.

You're basing that on photos...
    There are many additional reasons not to make blithe comparisons between the current crisis and the 1918 pandemic: stark differences in health care infrastructure and medical technology; the ravages of the first world war; the unusual tendency of the Spanish flu to kill young adults; and the fact that many, if not most, people infected with influenza in 1918 died from secondary bacterial infections (as mass-produced antibiotics did not yet exist). The global fatality rate is just an average, and the CFR of any pandemic varies immensely by age, population, and geography. During the Spanish flu, for instance, it ranged from less than 1 percent in some areas to 90 percent in one Alaskan village. What gets lost in superficial analogies is that, despite some valid and instructive parallels between the two pandemics, there are many more differences. We can’t use half-contrived statistics about a century-old pandemic to predict what will happen today.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Holohan is just winging it based on delayed test results coming back from Germany, he's not going to tell Harris what to do just yet, so we all have to stay at home and claim the dole for now.

Both of them should be put out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

De Danann wrote: »
    I know this is necessary and that we want to avoid the monumental tragedies occuring in the rest of the world, but did anyone else feel a bit like crying when they saw how long the restrictions have been extended by?

Crying?

No.

To be honest, my life hasn't changed an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wtf is wrong with people that they cannot stay in close proximity to their primary residence for a few months.

All the luxuries and mod cons and still whinging.

It's a **** situation I get it, but the more people that stay at home the quicker we will get out of this mess and back to normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

This is some load of cųnt

I'd say the asymptomatic rate is
    40% already.

We'll never test everybody, at 2,000 tests
    per day it'll take **6** years to screen everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Your life may not have changed an awful lot, but lots of people’s have.
    My 90 year old mother can’t have family visits, or a family Easter lunch. My 3 kids can’t go to school, hang out with their friends, play any sports in their clubs. My brother in law’s work in ICU is now a daily threat to his health. My sister and her fiancé have lost their jobs and had to postpone their wedding plans. And we’re the lucky ones, as we aren’t (yet) financially threatened, or in health difficulties.

Geuze wrote: »
    Crying?

No.

To be honest, my life hasn't changed an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Another possible solution for the schools and I don't know if it will work.

Changing the start of the school year from September to January. Spend the next few more months finishing off what's left of this school year. There's 6th class primary school students due to go to first year in secondary school without finishing properly in primary school. That could be upsetting for them. Maybe they could go back to school from September to December. Maybe LC exams could be held in December. Everyone starts in a new school year come January. I don't know if that would work.

This virus really is dumping on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

fcuk thats nasty but sure why wouldnt they if they are irish the effect of this pandemic is people fleeing home almost did it myself so every1 Irish will be ireland for the next while and that is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

jackboy wrote: »
    What are single parents supposed to do with their children when shopping?

People are still complaining about this every single day on a few groups I follow. I'm lucky my kids are older and I don't need to bring them but it's not an option for single parents of small kids.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Online order & have it delivered. Only one person should be shopping. Husband should not be going in with the wife or vise versa.

The only supermarket that does deliveries near me is Tesco, there's no online slots available in the next 3 weeks!

Absolutely agree that it should only be one adult per household though if it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's a **** situation I get it, but the more people that stay at home the quicker we will get out of this mess and back to normal life.
    No evidence WHAT SO EVER that this is true

Advertisement