Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions extended until 5th May

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Friend of mine just text me to say that she heard Prof. Sam McConkey on the Radio saying that a vaccine will take approx 3 years and that we should all prepare to be restricted for that length of time.

Didn't hear it myself but the thoughts of 3 years is very depressing.

Even if the vaccine was approved for use in 12 months how long would it take for enough to be produced to vaccinate everyone?

Could easily be years before it was readily available and even then there could be different strains of the virus so the vaccine may not protect as well as hoped

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Friend of mine just text me to say that she heard Prof. Sam McConkey on the Radio saying that a vaccine will take approx 3 years and that we should all prepare to be restricted for that length of time.

If you think the world can lock down for three years, you are crazy. Whatever about in rich economies, poor nations need to get back to work. They have no safety net, no one going to ensure they have money to eat, keep the lights on .... if this does take three years, which I doubt, given the money being thrown at finding a vaccine/ treatment it will just become a disease that kills some people. Life will go on, people will die from it in the same way they do from other illnesses. It’s unfortunate but no one life will triumph human life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If he thinks people will tolerate the present restrictions for 3 years he is absolutely nuts.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Even if the vaccine was approved for use in 12 months how long would it take for enough to be produced to vaccinate everyone?

Could easily be years before it was readily available and even then there could be different strains of the virus so the vaccine may not protect as well as hoped

High risk groups take priority would be most likely the way to handle it. Imagine they're scaling up production lines already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Holy shít. His CV seems to be qualified to say this https://www.rcsi.com/people/profile/smcconkey

But three years just isn't practical. It'd literally set the world back hundreds of years economically

Can you find out what station and what time or which show he was on? All the major stations offer Listen Again playback on their apps

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If he thinks people will tolerate the present restrictions for 3 years he is absolutely nuts.
    He's a headcase alright. An attention seeker. Spain, with the third highest infection rate worldwide, will begin to ease certain restrictions in the coming days. These will allow certain types of work to recommence - construction and factory jobs. A "full" lockdown will remain in place officially. The rate of new infections over there has almost halted at this stage. Their "peak" occurred in mid March. So, that scenario holds out great hope for Ireland and could be replicated here within the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

He was on Brendan O'Connor this morning but he didn't say that these restrictions would last 3 years. He did say it could take 3 years to develop a vaccine and in the meantime we're just going to have to accept a certain level of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Colleges will continue with online learning in September then.Secondary and primary schools will have to open if restrictions continue I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A research team at Oxford University are reasonably confident that they'll have a vaccine through the first human test phase in the Autumn, so you can hang on to that if it helps :)

As with any vaccine those who need it most will get it first, so young and healthy people will be at the back of the queue and the front line medics will need to be at the front (they have been notably bad for getting the seasonal flu jab as it happens).

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/annual-flu-vaccine-campaign-launched-as-vaccine-uptake-rates-for-healthcare-workers-rates-at-highest-ever-levels.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ireland needs to lift restrictions eventually. The economy wont survive otherwise. We need somewhat of a functioning economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Society will learn to live with the virus, but society will not be what it was in say January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Or 3) ease gradually after mass testing is in place and case numbers decrease substantially after the peak and revert to a contact tracing strategy until vaccine is in place.

Mass testing is impossible
    It would take 3 years to test at 5k tests per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

99nsr125 wrote: »

At the current rate of testing sure. I would be hoping that countries are using the lockdown time well to ramp up testing capacity.

The idea of the strictest form of lockdown lasting for 1 - 3 years is nonsense. I'm seeing these extreme numbers on the thread about lifting restrictions.

We have Spain lifting the restrictions on non-essential workers and we have Denmark reopening schools and Austria opening non-essential shops with hotels and restaurants following in May. The Czech Republic and Norway are also beginning to consider lifting restrictions.

I suspect this will start happening as we start to see deaths dropping.

It won't be back to normal but it will be more normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

99nsr125 wrote: »

Health officials aren’t really saying we need to be able to consistently carry out 5k tests per day though in the long run. The aim is to get targeted testing turn around times down to less than 24 hours.

The whole purpose of the restrictions is to halt community transmission. When that is achieved it is hoped that we won’t need anything close to 5k tests per day to keep any outbreaks under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The lockdown may go on till after the June Bank Holiday and then it will be slowly lifted however social distancing itself may well have to continue for months and maybe well into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm supposed to leave a 6 year old at home alone with 2 dogs?
    Yeah, better to bring the child.
    You don't want 2 traumatized dogs when you get home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

By the 5th of May the UK will have an enormous death toll and the reality of them not counting care home deaths in their figures will be out in the public. There will be no problem extending the lock down here when 30000 are dead across the pond.

And America, another country we strongly identify with, will have a shocking death toll

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

JJayoo wrote: »
    By the 5th of May the UK will have an enormous death toll and the reality of them not counting care home deaths in their figures will be out in the public. There will be no problem extending the lock down here when 30000 are dead across the pond.

And America, another country we strongly identify with, will have a shocking death toll

The reason both countries have that death toll is because they didn’t implement lockdowns quickly enough. Honestly your logic makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The reason both countries have that death toll is because they didn’t implement lockdowns quickly enough. Honestly your logic makes no sense.

I'm no fan of Trump but America have banned all flights from Europe, China (and I think others?), so they've done much more than Ireland in that regard.

America has 320 million people and many large, busy cities. Of course their death toll will be huge numbers wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

We have Spain lifting the restrictions on non-essential workers
    Yes.
    Here the security measures for those workers in Spain.
    https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_business/2020-04-12/wash-clothes-at-60c-and-stay-two-meters-apart-the-spanish-governments-guide-for-returning-workers.html

while experts debate whether it is still too soon
    https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_business/2020-04-13/as-some-spaniards-return-to-work-today-experts-debate-whether-it-is-still-too-soon.html
    I personally think it is too soon, too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Since we're members of the EU, we identify most strongly with our fellow EUropeans who are easing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

GazzaL wrote: »
    Since we're members of the EU, we identify most strongly with our fellow EUropeans who are easing restrictions.
    Which EU Countries do you identify with the most, though ?
    Macron is speaking to France tonight and I don't think he will lift restrictions till at least 3 May or even 10 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

GazzaL wrote: »

Given I can't understand a word they say, I'd disagree, People from the UK and US tend to talk English and occasionally marry us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Colleges will continue with online learning in September then.Secondary and primary schools will have to open if restrictions continue I think.

Agreed . The notion of schools not reopening in September, lol!

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Trump but America have banned all flights from Europe, China (and I think others?), so they've done much more than Ireland in that regard.

America has 320 million people and many large, busy cities. Of course their death toll will be huge numbers wise

The Red Dawn emails that got released yesterday which are correspondence between senior US medical officials outlined how they viewed such measures as pointless at that stage. The virus was already rampant in the US by that point. Their deaths per million will pass Ireland out this week.

Also undiagnosed cases of coronavirus are an issue too. The interview with the paramedic on bbc yesterday included the fact that they're getting huge amounts of cardiac arrests that are from undiagnosed cases of the virus. So their current death toll looks to be substantially wrong.

In terms of measures, the federal government have done very little. It's fallen to governors. Meanwhile the president is giving emergency equipment to the States who are nice to him. Every press conference is less so about concern and more about promoting himself or certain businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Why would we extend the lockdown if our own numbers are where we want them to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Spain's lockdown happened very sudden and a couple of weeks before Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Lifted (hopefully) a week before my birthday

• Advertisement
Advertisement