Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint stripper old stone wall

• 10-04-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for a paint stripper for an old stone wall on a farm house shed.

Have tried all the other stuff, power hosing, scraping etc

My first go to was Nitromors but reading reviews they seemingly changed the recipe and it’s now awful.

Any ideas? It’s not being painted again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

nitromors and stuff is metal and wood not masonry.

I would say wet sand blasting or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’ve read a few different ones on Amazon (That don’t deliver to Ireland) and they seem to include Masonry?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭omeara1113

Used a product years ago called peel away it was the best paint remover I have ever used i dont know if it's still on the market.it came in a 20 litre bucket with a red lid
    great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any idea what kind of paint it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any idea what kind of paint it is.

Not a clue. I’m sure it’s a mixture of many emulsions

• Advertisement

i'd go with the wet blasting as it'll clean loose crap and grime out of the wall as well as the paint. If you use the chemical stripping method then a) you still have to scrap or blast it all off, b) you will have a heavy exposure to whatever chemical you use. It isn't the healthiest. Wet blasting is just using inert harmless materials and because it is wet, there is little to no dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

i'd go with the wet blasting as it'll clean loose crap and grime out of the wall as well as the paint. If you use the chemical stripping method then a) you still have to scrap or blast it all off, b) you will have a heavy exposure to whatever chemical you use. It isn't the healthiest. Wet blasting is just using inert harmless materials and because it is wet, there is little to no dust.

Can you rent out a machine for that or do you have to get a contractor

You could probably rent it. But you might be as well off getting someone hwo knows how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Give Conservation Technology on Davitt Road a call , they sell all kinds of paint stripper, that cannot be got in regular hardware shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you were just using a conventional domestic car washing pressure washer then it won't work all the time for this sort of stuff.

I'd rent an industrial one . Probably petrol powered and go again. Chemicals are nasty nasty and you'll have to pressure wash down anyway again

• Advertisement
Advertisement