Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools in D6 and D4

Options
  • 10-04-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice / recommendation please.

Looking for a good primary school in the D4, D6 area as we will be moving next year. Would prefer a mixed school but don’t mind all boys. Looking for recommendations of public and private please. Just want a really good school for my boy. I’ve heard of St Michaels and Blackrock but that’s about it. Would like to know what others near Ranelagh area. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice / recommendation please.

Looking for a good primary school in the D4, D6 area as we will be moving next year. Would prefer a mixed school but don’t mind all boys. Looking for recommendations of public and private please. Just want a really good school for my boy. I’ve heard of St Michaels and Blackrock but that’s about it. Would like to know what others near Ranelagh area. Thanks.

Dunno but where are you moving from?
    Will the house you are staying in / renting be in their catchment area?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Dunno but where are you moving from?
    Will the house you are staying in / renting be in their catchment area?

Hi, moving from North Dublin. I know the private schools don’t have a catchment. I would like to know what schools there are in the area so I can check catchment and their enrolling policies etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you need to contact schools directly to see if they operate by catchment area and what their enrollment policies are and if they have space.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    you need to contact schools directly to see if they operate by catchment area and what their enrollment policies are and if they have space.

Thanks fo reply. But I’m unsure what schools even to be looking at at the minute. Catchment area not a big thing for us at the moment as we are flexible with where we move. If we found a school we liked we’d try and find a house in that catchment. I just don’t have a very exhaustive list at the moment of what schools are actually in the area. I only really know some of the private ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Going to move this to the Dublin City forum where you might get people more local to the area. I'll leave a redirect from Parenting so you'll get the best of both world.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Orion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

As a starting point, the Dept of Education have a webpage where you can see what schools are in an area.
    There are filters down the left side to limit the area and type of school.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Find-a-School/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

my kids attend John Scottus primary school on Northumberland Road. Great school.

Hubertj wrote: »
    my kids attend John Scottus primary school on Northumberland Road. Great school.

Fab that’s actually the main one I’m looking into at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Fab that’s actually the main one I’m looking into at the moment!!

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

The school that is usually called the best primary school in the area is the public St.Mary's NS on Belmont Avenue but you have to be in the catchment area (Dublin 4 and parts of Dublin 6) and it acts as a feeder into all of the best boys schools in the immediate locality - Gonzaga, St. Michaels, Colasite Eoin etc. its mixed and of catholic ethos although that doesn't mean much these days
    Junior schools of all the main private schools around include st.michaels (catholic, primary and secondary, fee paying all boys), st conleths (catholic, primary and secondary fee paying co-ed), john scottus (coed, primary and secondary, no religious but a focus on hippyish ehtos), st Marys (rathmines,catholic,primary and secondary, all boys, private)

Other primary schools include St.Brigid's primary school Haddington Road which formed through the amalgamation of two schools last year (mixed, primary only with a focus on diversity and inclusion)

St Matthews (coed, primary, protestant ethos)
    Star of the sea, Sandymount

There are a few to start with anyway

I get the impression that you are not from Ireland or possibly not from Dublin (just a guess) so....
    You will need to apply well ahead of time to all of these schools, they are all indirectly expensive if not directly expensive and you need to bare in mind that Dublin 4 is the most affluent part of the country so things will be potentially more stratified than anywhere else in Ireland.

Advertisement