Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber 1Gbps and over ISP

Options
  • 10-04-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm currently with Digiweb, I have the 1Gbps FTTH for around 74e a month.

As I'm with them for around a year, I was thinking about swapping for a new ISP.

Do Eir and Vodafone allow custom modem(router...) ?

I have an enterprise Ubiquiti UDM PRO (UniFi Dream Machine)
    I can use either a copper or a SFP for WAN

Do any ISP offer SFP WAN in Ireland anyway ? also is 1Gbps the max speed offered? was hopping for 10Gbps.

I assume every ISP here are using the same ONT (huawei) with copper and PPPoE + VLAN tagging ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

The VLAN tag is just do you can't go annoying your neighbours on the same subnet and vice versa.

Faster than 1gb is difficult because that's the max speed the interface on the other end of your fiber connection will support and good luck asking them for another fiber line to link aggregate them.

Unless they have a spare 10gb port in which case your in luck. Again try asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I am with EIR FTTH
    custom router ( Orbi)
    No PPPoE there at all , just a VLAN tag ( I would say EIR the only provider without PPPoE , but I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VID 10 comes from OpenEir, platform wide.

Eir have IPoE or PPPoE, the rest have PPPoE to the RAS and a private subnet for multicast (TV). You won't do SFP(or SFP+, SFP is dead) as the ONT is the demark point. In theory the OLT could do 2.5G to one sub on a zero split, I think, but they don't offer it as its a bit silly.
    was hopping for 10Gbps.

And I was hoping for a busty colombian girlfriend but we don't always get what we want. 10G is enough for the likes of TCD and UCD (25,000 students + staff). No home user needs 10G even if Singapore and HK have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Both the OpenEir and Siro networks have successfully trialled 10gbit/s but it's not a commercially available residential / normal business product, and won't be until the demand is there for those kinds of speeds.

They are future-proofed for those kinds of speeds though but it would mean needing the onward connectivity to go with it.

Xertz wrote: »
    They are future-proofed for those kinds of speeds though but it would mean needing the onward connectivity to go with it.

All "glass" is future proofed. 10G link on Monday becomes a 25G link on Tuesday if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

I would imagine most ISPs backhauls and core are only 10GB mostly. Would take serious investment to upgrade to a standard that would make it available for resi customers.

And as was mentioned above, you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

You're in 'dark fibre', or reseller territory there. Can't imagine anyone would entertain that.

Out of interest, do you want it, or need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The only ISP currently rolling out 10 Gbit/s capable ONTs is OpenEIR and only for the IFN. So you would have to be in an urban area, to get that.

That being said, there are no commercial offerings (even on OpenEIRs IFN) for beyond 1 Gbit/s at the moment. You don't need it either. Your bottleneck is your own CPU processing power, network processing power and the other end of where you connect to.

So even IF you got 10 Gbit/s or 2.5 Gbit/s, you still would not be able to max it.
    alec76 wrote: »
    ( I would say EIR the only provider without PPPoE , but I could be wrong)

You are wrong. Wireless Connect are IPoE only to my knowledge.

With some of the other providers it can be both, but most prefer PPPoE.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, Vodafone offer me 5Gbps but them at the end said I wasn't eligible ...
    But no I don't really "need it" to be fair my 1Gbps is fine even with the heavy VPN connection for Work and all kids watching 4K stream on both TV, I have enough (just greediness).

I'm swapping with Eir (chatting with them today) although Im very worried of any downtime from the migration Digiweb > Eir (working from home, I can't afford any downtime)

alec76 wrote: »
    I am with EIR FTTH
    custom router ( Orbi)
    No PPPoE there at all , just a VLAN tag ( I would say EIR the only provider without PPPoE , but I could be wrong)

Oh that's perfect thank you !

So I assume my settings will just look like this :
    https://ibb.co/ckmxwFn

I don't think I have any IPTV with my contract, do you happen to know the VoIP settings too by any chance ? (sure I can contact them anyway so no worries)

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    VID 10 comes from OpenEir, platform wide.

Eir have IPoE or PPPoE, the rest have PPPoE to the RAS and a private subnet for multicast (TV). You won't do SFP(or SFP+, SFP is dead) as the ONT is the demark point. In theory the OLT could do 2.5G to one sub on a zero split, I think, but they don't offer it as its a bit silly.

And I was hoping for a busty colombian girlfriend but we don't always get what we want. 10G is enough for the likes of TCD and UCD (25,000 students + staff). No home user needs 10G even if Singapore and HK have it.

I mean SFP+, no I don't really need 10Gb, the only thing with my current gateway, I'm suppose to be able to get over 3.5Gbs with DPI and IPS on, (obviously I only have 1Gbs WAN) but I'm getting only 600/700Mbs
    it's suppose to be a bug but I have the issue since February and they mention that a work around would be to use SFP+, but anyway Im just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

ED E wrote: »
    All "glass" is future proofed. 10G link on Monday becomes a 25G link on Tuesday if you need it.

They trialled more than the glass aspect. The openEir ONTs are already 10Gbps capable and Siro successfully tested it on their networks.

Based on what’s gone before, the bandwidth demands seem ludicrous now but so did 100Mbits/s in the days when 10Mbit/s was considered extremely fast.

kevincork wrote: »
    Oh that's perfect thank you !

So I assume my settings will just look like this :
    https://ibb.co/ckmxwFn

I don't think I have any IPTV with my contract, do you happen to know the VoIP settings too by any chance ? (sure I can contact them anyway so no worries)

Coming back to the WAN settings, does Eir support IPV6?

kevincork wrote: »
    Coming back to the WAN settings, does Eir support IPV6?

Yes, but your device has to DHCP in a specific way to get it IIRC, a poster on here detailed it really nicely before. Not sure who though so youll have to search.

DHCP is not working anyway https://ibb.co/D90STQp

Advertisement