Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate biscuit cake - make with ordinary milk?

Options
  • 10-04-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm making chocolate biscuit cake for the first time, but have no condensed milk, just whole milk.

Can I use whole milk instead?

Is it normal for the mixture to be crumbly and not sticking together before it's put in fridge?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

No you can't, condensed milk is totally different to fresh milk, you could use golden syrup instead.

If it's too crumbly (other than the milk issue!) chances are you have too much biscuit to chocolate mix, should be going for stew consistency and not potato salad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

phormium wrote: »
    No you can't, condensed milk is totally different to fresh milk, you could use golden syrup instead.

If it's too crumbly (other than the milk issue!) chances are you have too much biscuit to chocolate mix, should be going for stew consistency and not potato salad :)

Would maple syrup be ok to use here? (Sorry Im not a great baker!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I usually use melted butter or coconut butter to "bond" the ingredients.

Not sure what recipe you're using, but I usually whisk egg yolks with sugar until they're white and fluffy, sieve in some good quality dark cocoa powder (not hot chocolate), the melted butter (not too much), stir well and then add the biscuit crumbles. Shape it, stick it in the fridge wrapped in clingfilm, serve when set. Works every time and it's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Maple syrup at a push, it's a bit expensive and thinner than golden syrup or condensed milk but if there is not much in the recipe it might do. Most recipes are chocolate, butter and either syrup or condensed milk, is that the sort of recipe you have? If so what quantities of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Leaving stuff out might mean it is just a crumbly mess, which is fine, you could just sprinkle it over vanilla ice cream and it would be lovely and certainly not go to waste. Or it could be just mixed with melted chocolate and let set, easter eggs are a cheap source of chocolate these days.

I worry you might ruin a load of perfectly good ingredients by doing something very unusual, such as using whole milk! Just because ingredients seem similar does not mean they can be substituted.

I remember during the last big snow seeing a poor man all confused looking at condensed milk in the supermarket, all these tins in front of him, told him "if you want something to put it tea or coffee its evaporated milk you want" pointing it out down the bottom.

Maple syrup is completely runny and is not really going to thicken, unless perhaps it was boiled right down, but I do not know if you can even do that.

I would not do anything spur of the moment and run it past people here first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

rubadub wrote: »
    Leaving stuff out might mean it is just a crumbly mess, which is fine, you could just sprinkle it over vanilla ice cream and it would be lovely and certainly not go to waste. Or it could be just mixed with melted chocolate and let set, easter eggs are a cheap source of chocolate these days.

I worry you might ruin a load of perfectly good ingredients by doing something very unusual, such as using whole milk! Just because ingredients seem similar does not mean they can be substituted.

I remember during the last big snow seeing a poor man all confused looking at condensed milk in the supermarket, all these tins in front of him, told him "if you want something to put it tea or coffee its evaporated milk you want" pointing it out down the bottom.

Maple syrup is completely runny and is not really going to thicken, unless perhaps it was boiled right down, but I do not know if you can even do that.

I would not do anything spur of the moment and run it past people here first.

Now, if they were to make fudge, or toffee... and use that... mind you, that might be too sweet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maple syrup also has quite a strong flavour compared to golden syrup, and I wouldn’t think it would taste great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hey all!

Thanks for the suggestions, cake turned out lovely after leaving it in fridge to set overnight.
    I'd offer ye all a slice but the lockdown means I can't leave the house, lol :)

Advertisement