Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening with Sciatica

Options
  • 10-04-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello everyone
    I get awful flare ups of Sciatia...I get injections for it and am taking anti inflammatories.
    It's so difficult to garden with the pain. I try to do bits for small amounts of time and take regular breaks
    Anyone else the same? Any tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Hello everyone
    I get awful flare ups of Sciatia...I get injections for it and am taking anti inflammatories.
    It's so difficult to garden with the pain. I try to do bits for small amounts of time and take regular breaks
    Anyone else the same? Any tips please?

I get mild sciatica at most. But you haven't said you've tried stretching? When mine starts to flare up I do 10 mins yoga in morning and some specific stretching excercises for the glutes and lower back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Kneeling pads, and a lot of good hand tools.
    Fruit hill farm in Cork have great handtools.
    A bit expensive but they save me a lot of pain.
    Suffering from my back since the 90s due to a fall from a ladder.

I learned over the years how to get the tools to work for me rather than me working for the tools.

Plenty of core exercises, and those gym balls are great.

Using gravity to shovel and raking is good.
    Don't drag the rake but take backward steps as you go along, and your body weight will pull the rake.
    When digging topsoil, use your body weight while holding the shovel, lean into the pile with your knees bent, lift with the knees and empty the topsoil into the barrow.
    When wheelbarrowing, and lifting bend the knees and keep your back straight.
    Always put weight in front of the barrow, and a gradual fill, a tapered fill.

Having two watering cans help too as you can fill them half way, and carrying them both won't put pressure on one side.

A oscillating hoe is easy to use over and back like the rake, let the hoe work for you.

It took me a while to get myself into the stride but I'm sure it added years onto my gardening career.

Long handles are an advantage too, as a short handle can be a killer from bending down.

This is what works for me and it might not suit everyone.

As mentioned above yoga and other activities are very helpful too

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Deco99 I do some yoga stretching every day.

Nthclare, thanks for your post. Lots of useful tips and advice

Advertisement