Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed indefinitely. Reassign teachers?

Options
  • 10-04-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Now that the primary schools are closed and unlikely to open before September what will the teachers be doing? I know that many of the secondary teachers are still working from home but couldn't the primary school teachers be reassigned to admin work in social welfare or HSE or some other public or civil service/ state agency that is very busy at the moment? I know teachers are public not civil servants but surely it could/should be done at this point.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

WAW wrote: »
    Now that the primary schools are closed and unlikely to open before September what will the teachers be doing? I know that many of the secondary teachers are still working from home but couldn't the primary school teachers be reassigned to ain work in social welfare or HSE or some other public or civil service/ state agency that is very busy at the moment? I know teachers are public not civil servants but surely it could/should be done at this point.
    Primary teachers are already working remotely and have been for some time. They're providing support to parents and assigning, sending and marking work from students.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

s1ippy wrote: »
    Primary teachers are already working remotely and have been for some time. They're providing support to parents and assigning, sending and marking work from students.

Perhaps some are. I'd say it's very much ad hoc. There is no dept of ed policy on this. I know lots of primary teachers ( yes I know lots) who are not working from home. Some of setting work for the week if kids want to do it, that's the extent of it. And that's fine. The younger ones can easily catch up in time. I think the primary school kids should be left in peace apart from maybe the teaching initiative on TV but there is real pressure in other state services now so plenty teachers could easily be reassigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You obviously have no idea of the work being done by teachers at all levels at the moment. They are spending long days preparing and uploading lessons, calling parents and students, and coming up with copious original ideas to facilitate, motivate, and council their students.

Edit, And it's far from random or ad hoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Now that the primary schools are closed and unlikely to open before September what will the teachers be doing? I know that many of the secondary teachers are still working from home but couldn't the primary school teachers be reassigned to admin work in social welfare or HSE or some other public or civil service/ state agency that is very busy at the moment? I know teachers are public not civil servants but surely it could/should be done at this point.

My daughters 5th class teacher sets work which we email on and she responds with it corrected. She’s doing her job as best the system allows.

Do you just want to do it to put them at risk?

Anyway, won’t happen. You sound like you haven’t a clue what they’re doing already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Perhaps some are. I'd say it's very much ad hoc. There is no dept of ed policy on this. I know lots of primary teachers ( yes I know lots) who are not working from home. Some of setting work for the week if kids want to do it, that's the extent of it. And that's fine. The younger ones can easily catch up in time. I think the primary school kids should be left in peace apart from maybe the teaching initiative on TV but there is real pressure in other state services now so plenty teachers could easily be reassigned.

I teach in a school of 70+ primary teachers and all are working from home. I am on google classroom, answering questions and emails, preparring work for my children and correcting their work. We actually have a job to do and if you are concerned about pressure in state services have you considered volunteering for reassignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cms88

Of course they won't sure they're overrun ''working from home'' the last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A not-so-subtle teacher bashing thread? I'm shocked

Teachers are working, some people can't accept this for whatever reason.

I was wondering will it be allowed run 50 or so pages before its decided that thats enough like the last one

cms88 wrote: »
    Of course they won't sure they're overrun ''working from home'' the last few weeks...

I’d say they’re doing as much as anyone “working from home”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Nah. leave them be op. can you imagine the rumpus lumping them in on top of clerical staff in the Civil service.

absolute mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Nah. leave them be op. can you imagine the rumpus lumping them in on top of clerical staff in the Civil service.

absolute mayhem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Put a standardised programme of work in place for all teachers to work remotely. Apart from obvious reasons, I don't see a why some form of digitised assessments can't take place for this year's LC group.

I'm a parent myself. Teachers aren't calling our primary school kids. You can email if you need assistance. I don't know any of the parents genuinely who are on to the school for help. Maybe 5th and 6th class teachers.
    Juniors and seniors teachers ( and 1st and 2nd) - seriously people, they are not working from home on school stuff nor is there any need for them too.
    This isn't a let's get the teachers bashing thread at all. It's about proper use of available resources to assist stretched departments and a country heading into difficult economic times.

How would assigning teachers to admin duties from home putting them at risk?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Put a standardised programme of work in place for all teachers to work remotely. Apart from obvious reasons, I don't see a why some form of digitised assessments can't take place for this year's LC group.

THank you we already have a standardised programme referred to as the curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭St Tropez Betty

This annoys me so much. Teachers and snas who through no fault of their own cannot work in a classroom at the moment but are trying their best to work remotely. Lets reassign them.
    People out of work for years getting 350 a week. Ye carry on sitting on your arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Primary school parent here with child in senior class.
    No teaching being done remotely or work being submitted.
    Kids have a list to work through.. If they can.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm a parent myself. Teachers aren't calling our primary school kids. You can email if you need assistance. I don't know any of the parents genuinely who are on to the school for help. Maybe 5th and 6th class teachers.
    Juniors and seniors teachers ( and 1st and 2nd) - seriously people, they are not working from home on school stuff nor is there any need for them too.
    This isn't a let's get the teachers bashing thread at all. It's about proper use of available resources to assist stretched departments and a country heading into difficult economic times.

How would assigning teachers to admin duties from home putting them at risk?

Why not assign the work you're talking about to people that aren't working at all? Why the teachers specifically?

I’d say they’re doing as much as anyone “working from home”.

A principal lives near me and when she was asked how was the home schooling etc going her answer was ''no they were wrecking my head'' but i'm sure she's flat out doing more work...

This annoys me so much. Teachers and snas who through no fault of their own cannot work in a classroom at the moment but are trying their best to work remotely. Lets reassign them.
    People out of work for years getting 350 a week. Ye carry on sitting on your arses.

But they're not....

• Advertisement

One for another thread perhaps but definitely. It’s an absolute disgrace that the 350 was handed out so easily. Should have been someone’s normal average wage up to 350. And people want to bash teachers just because they can’t let go of a bad time in school themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

As someone who works in the industry I know most secondary schools are continuing classes 'as normal' online with the same timetable.
    In most cases rolls are being taken at the start of each class, homework being assigned and corrected.

I'm actually amazed by how things are able to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

From my experience none of the primary school teachers that I know of are doing their best to work remotely and parents I know can attest to this.

Giving kids a set of exercises to do from an exercise book and not looking for the work done to correct it. This isn’t working from home. It’s a 10 minute job at most a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea but aren’t they “entitled”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

WAW wrote:

This would be like working for a company that has dozens of different companies. Let's say you work for Carphone Warehouse but they also owned a totally different business like maybe a clothes shop. Not in a million years would you be expected to work for the clothes shop. Your union wouldn't allow it & it's illegal for a company to force you to do something like this.

Not the best suggestion I've heard today tbh

A principal lives near me and when she was asked how was the home schooling etc going her answer was ''no they were wrecking my head'' but i'm sure she's flat out doing more work...

Like I said, as much as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Didn't take long

Who will mind their children if they've to do this new admin work?
    Seeing as creches are closed

It is headwrecking. I have kids who along with myself were landed in the predicament of online learning with no guidance. Up to a few weeks ago they for all their digital know how they werent aware of how to open a word document, type upload and download and they are doing it now and I am so proud of them.

THey ask a million questions and I am there every step of the way. I have had quesrions at 2am and it is headwrecking as it is new for me too but we are bungling our way together through it and I am so proud of how they are taking this challenge onboard. I am with them every step of the way as that is where I want to be and I will be till they dont need me.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You obviously have no idea of the work being done by teachers at all levels at the moment. They are spending long days preparing and uploading lessons, calling parents and students, and coming up with copious original ideas to facilitate, motivate, and council their students.

Edit, And it's far from random or ad hoc.
    Secondary yes. Infant teachers are not. Get real.

• Advertisement

Like I said, as much as anyone.

I'm working from home for the last month. Still have to report on what im doing etc Something teachers aren't doing, but ya like alway they're doing as much as anyone else...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement