Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed indefinitely. Reassign teachers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This annoys me so much. Teachers and snas who through no fault of their own cannot work in a classroom at the moment but are trying their best to work remotely. Lets reassign them.
    People out of work for years getting 350 a week. Ye carry on sitting on your arses.

That's impossible.

You can't get 350 unless you were made redundant recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

WAW wrote: »
    Secondary yes. Infant teachers are not. Get real.

Infant teachers in my school are working and damn hard

cms88 wrote: »
    I'm working from home for the last month. Still have to report on what im doing etc Something teachers aren't doing, but ya like alway they're doing as much as anyone else...

Of course you’ll say that. Sure I’m flat out myself, never get a minute, keeping the place going, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭St Tropez Betty

Tandey wrote: »
    From my experience none of the primary school teachers that I know of are doing their best to work remotely and parents I know can attest to this.

Giving kids a set of exercises to do from an exercise book and not looking for the work done to correct it. This isn’t working from home. It’s a 10 minute job at most a week.

But why teachers specifically.
    What about the other 1000s of people currently unemployed.
    Teachers have jobs to return to once this is over.
    I cannot speak for the teachers you know but I know plenty who are going above and beyond to facilitate learning at the moment.

I'm working from home for the last month. Still have to report on what im doing etc Something teachers aren't doing, but ya like alway they're doing as much as anyone else...

Teachers have fortnightly reports to complete also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cms88

Of course you’ll say that. Sure I’m flat out myself, never get a minute, keeping the place going, etc etc.

But teachers are of course going to tell everyone they're working around the clock at home. Who's actually chaecking they're doing what they're supposed to be doing?

Never said anything about never getting a minutes brkae did i? Or anything of the like?

But teachers are of course going to tell everyone they're working around the clock at home. Who's actually chaecking they're doing what they're supposed to be doing?

Never said anything about never getting a minutes brkae did i? Or anything of the like?
    We have plans to continue and reports on planning to write but sure why let fact interrupt a good story

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

s1ippy wrote: »
    Primary teachers are already working remotely and have been for some time. They're providing support to parents and assigning, sending and marking work from students.

Our kids' teachers are not. Haven't heard a jot from them since school closed up.

But we do know of other schools in the area where the kids are being kept busy.

khalessi wrote: »
    We have plans to continue and reports on planning to write but sure why let fact interrupt a good story

Bit like the one here about everyone getting the €350 a week?

That wasnt me so again fact check first before commenting

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    That's impossible.

You can't get 350 unless you were made redundant recently.

It doesnt matter who is getting how much.
    What annoys me is that teachers are being specifically targeted to reassign.

That wasnt me so again fact check first before commenting

Didn't say it was did i?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Ive three in primary school they get emailed stuff but they have it done in about an hour each day so they are doing some other stuff online as well. It’s not ideal for teachers or students, but nobody asked for this and I am glad they are maintaining that connection with the school and teachers. I’m sure some teachers are taking advantage of the situation and doing SFA but some are most definitely doing the best they can.

There are more than enough idle public servants to reassign, an awful lot of state activities have ground to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

This is typical. If people read the OP I'm referring to primary teachers not secondary.

Civil servants have already been reassigned so this is possible ( yes I know teachers are public not civil).

Re. Childcare. All state employees are still working andexpected to manage work and childcare which loads are doing by working remotely.

It is not a teacher bashing thread in disguise. I absolutely have respect and regard for the difficult job it is and unlike many people think they deserve their holidays. I have teachers in my own family fgs. But there are loads of young teachers/ of infant classes/ without kids who are not working from home and could be utilised to work remotely on other work.
    Fair enough if some teachers are remotely teaching, leave them to it but those who are not, enable them to assist under pressure services. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Our kids' teachers are not. Haven't heard a jot from them since school closed up.

But we do know of other schools in the area where the kids are being kept busy.

Probally flat out doing all their reports...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You obviously have no idea of the work being done by teachers at all levels at the moment. They are spending long days preparing and uploading lessons, calling parents and students, and coming up with copious original ideas to facilitate, motivate, and council their students.

Edit, And it's far from random or ad hoc.

Sure they are

This is typical. If people read the OP I'm referring to primary teachers not secondary.

Civil servants have already been reassigned so this is possible ( yes I know teachers are public not civil).

Re. Childcare. All state employees are still working andexpected to manage work and childcare which loads are doing by working remotely.

It is not a teacher bashing thread in disguise. I absolutely have respect and regard for the difficult job it is and unlike many people think they deserve their holidays. I have teachers in my own family fgs. But there are loads of young teachers/ of infant classes/ without kids who are not working from home and could be utilised to work remotely on other work.
    Fair enough if some teachers are remotely teaching, leave them to it but those who are not, enable them to assist under pressure services. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

I am primary and we are working as many have said on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’ve said this in a previous thread. Any thread set up to deliberately take a pop at any profession should not be allowed by mods. It serves no purpose but to stir reaction and cause arguments for people’s amusement.

Cop on. Stop trolling.

Just focus on the fact I got the amount people are getting incorrect. I wouldnt know.
    Have you any point to make about why only teachers are being asked to reassign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Tandey wrote: »
    From my experience none of the primary school teachers that I know of are doing their best to work remotely and parents I know can attest to this.

Giving kids a set of exercises to do from an exercise book and not looking for the work done to correct it. This isn’t working from home. It’s a 10 minute job at most a week.

My only surprise is that you're surprised.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter who is getting how much.
    What annoys me is that teachers are being specifically targeted to reassign.

Some people are very touchy! It's not targeting specifically
    to reassign..it's related to the announcement earlier re closure of schools so now the state knows it has a cohort of workers who can be reassigned. It just happens to be teachers.

Just focus on the fact I got the amount people are getting incorrect. I wouldnt know.
    Have you any point to make about why only teachers are being asked to reassign?

I didn't ask the question did i? I'm poiting out you said people who hav't worked in years got the €350 when it's not the case

Some people are very touchy! It's not targeting specifically
    to reassign..it's related to the announcement earlier re closure of schools so now the state knows it has a cohort of workers who can be reassigned. It just happens to be teachers.

They’ve had a cohort of non workers they could have put to use for years and didn’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

s1ippy wrote: »
    Primary teachers are already working remotely and have been for some time. They're providing support to parents and assigning, sending and marking work from students.

Some may be....but definitely not all.

Infant teachers in my school are working and damn hard

Please, that's ridiculous. What parent of infants is demanding remote teaching? And what teacher worth his/her salt would be assigning activities to infants unless the parents are completely clueless about play based learning.

Please, that's ridiculous. What parent of infants is demanding remote teaching? And what teacher worth his/her salt would be assigning activities to infants unless the parents are completely clueless about play based learning.

Look whether you think it is ridiculous or not it is happening

Can I ask just wondering, why havent you asked for anyone furloughed prior to todays announcment to be reassignmed? We now have 500,000 unemployed many of which have amazing skills that could be utilised. Why havent you called for them to be redeployed?

Look whether you think it is ridiculous or not it is happening

What are they working damn hard that? Seriously? My neighbour two doors down is an infant teacher.

Can I ask just wondering, why havent you asked for anyone furloughed prior to todays announcment to be reassignmed? We now have 500,000 unemployed many of which have amazing skills that could be utilised. Why havent you called for them to be redeployed?

Because a teacher was mean to them in senior infants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I don’t agree on reassignment of teachers but to those suggesting they are being singled out or that it is only teachers being mentioned I am in the public service and I know of entire sections in some organisations that have reassigned and have been give drastically altered rosters, expected to work weekends for the foreseeable future when it is not in their existing contracts etc., with no meaningful consultation beforehand, just told this is their area of work for now. Teachers are quite lucky in that I think they will be protected from that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement