Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photinia (red robin) after getting high and leggy

Options
  • 10-04-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a photinia in my garden that doesn't look great, it's after growing to around 2.5m and is a bit leggy. I've noticed too that it drops quite a lot of leaves.

Would it be safe to cut that back to around 1m?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hi all, I have a photinia in my garden that doesn't look great, it's after growing to around 2.5m and is a bit leggy. I've noticed too that it drops quite a lot of leaves.

Would it be safe to cut that back to around 1m?

It should be ok you'll get away with pruning it maybe two inches above the buds.
    So the healing will be easier and the die back will not become an issue.

They get a bit tired so maybe put some fertiliser around the base and water it in a bit.

Just so it'll replenish easier after a hard prune.

Its a 50/50 go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

You can cut it back and see what happens, but Photinias dropping a lot of leaves is usually a sign that the site is too wet, they don't like waterlogging at all.

Advertisement