Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Nothing worse than fake news.

SO WHAT'S THE TRUTH?

The general manager of Cavan general was on northern sound radio addressing the issues reported in that shambles of a report from the Anglo celt. You can get it on their website.

Cavans absenteeism rate is no better or worse than other hospitals within the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

None. Swabs can be stored for months if necessary.

Any source for this?
    Asked whether any completed swabs had expired while waiting to be processed, Dr Holohan replied: “I can’t honestly say that hasn’t happened”. More information would be available at Tuesday’s briefing, he indicated.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-government-set-to-announce-new-travel-work-restrictions-1.4210176?mode=amp

Wonder why he did just say no then.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtenews/status/1247210258239455233

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

s1ippy wrote: »

Not one person has given me a valid reason for this post being incorrect but there's a flock of sheep after mashing the thanks button for a pathetic lazy response. Anyone care to indicate one single specific thing in this post, or does hit a bit close to home for a few of you?

People thanked that post because they knew the horse ****e it was.

And as for no one responding to it, believe me if it was worth responding to there are any amount of people con this thread capable of doing so but it's not worth their time responding to such drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Wombatman wrote: »
    Wonder why he did just say no then.

Chances are that he didn’t know and instead of being honest and admitting that he bluffed an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I bet in six months time, when we have hyperinflated our economies to the point that we have to import rice from China as the only food source, a lot of people are going to wish that they knew about looking after themselves in t

You really think there will be MORE importation from China after this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some cities in the US are starting to enforce rules on wearing masks already...

https://twitter.com/phillyTRU/status/1248656214642262016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t really understand how you can take anything from one politician committing suicide.

It’s very sad but seems more like an individual tragedy as opposed to be it being a sign of a response to more severe existential threat on the horizon for Europeans that only that politician understands.

It's not necessarily what I took from his suicide, it's what his colleagues and friends seem to be drawing from it... it's their opinion, not mine!

But if he did happen to think the EU might be up sh!t creek after this... I would be inclined to agree with him. It's not looking too good!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nj27 wrote:
    You really think there will be MORE importation from China after this?
    You can be almost guaranteed that the EU will act as if nothing ever happened. Other parts of the world might look differently at it, and I say fair play if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Huge drop in deaths in Spain. Just 250 this morning, I think its the first time the morning update has been less than 500 in about 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

petes wrote: »
    People thanked that post because they knew the horse ****e it was.

And as for no one responding to it, believe me if it was worth responding to there are any amount of people con this thread capable of doing so but it's not worth their time responding to such drivel.
    Jumping on the thanks bandwagon there with zero actual valid criticism. I'm genuinely looking for any constructive feedback as I know boards is full of people who think work is the only reason to live and just fuppin love Fine Gael because they hate the poor and I want some indication that its not just because of that.

Is it because I assert that Leo hates the poor? I thought that was a well-established narrative by now. He likes people who get out of bed early, dobb their neighbours in for claiming single parent when they live together and makes up stories about people who asked to be fired to receive the €350 payment, when that story was both unfounded and an indictment of this country's pay and conditions for workers.

He refers to himself as "president" and "prime minister" because he's ashamed of the actual culture we have here and he's happy to lick the boot in Europe until the leather starts to degrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Seems people have had enough of the current setup.

Looks like patience is running out.

Where do we go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's good that the number is now just one and there isn't separate numbers which while I can see why it was done, I don't think there was any coordinated attempt to sugar coat the numbers of confirmed cases, but it does seem they tried to over complicate the way they presented the numbers which lead to confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    Huge drop in deaths in Spain. Just 250 this morning, I think its the first time the morning update has been less than 500 in about 3 weeks

There is no morning update? :confused:

There is only one update per pay at 11 am for previous 24 hours.

Still shows another fall to 510 deaths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

Wombatman wrote: »
    Many of the tests coming through the Irish labs were from older cases too. France did a major adjustment, China did too. We can adjust for the German backlog if necessary.

And they did, in two ways.

Firstly, the modelling of the trend presented by Philip Nolan included an adjustment to take account of the German swabs. This was explicitly referred to in the press briefing.

Secondly, they gave a statistical breakdown in yesterday's presentation of all confirmed positives up until midnight Wednesday. There were 7071 confirmed positives until then, including the German swabs. They gave median age, sex, admissions to hospital, admission to ICU, etc. for this total.

Statistical analysis always runs a little behind up to date totals, for obvious reasons. People want up to date totals as well at the press conference. These were given.

It seems now that they are giving too much informtion, as some people are finding it difficult to deal with more than one figure. However, I hope they continue to give the information rather than "one figure", which might be simple but would be very uninformative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Some cities in the US are starting to enforce rules on wearing masks already...

https://twitter.com/phillyTRU/status/1248656214642262016

It's heavy-handed... but if it saves lives?

Over here, we would be more worried about people's civil liberties than saving lives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think the whole way this has been handled is the usual way things are "handled" in Ireland - it started with a general "lookit, tis serious enough like lads but don't lose the heads now, keep on trucking and we'll be grand".

Then we move on to "Ah sure we are only taking these small unprecedented measures to be sure to be sure not because the manure is in any way heading for the national fan. No need to be miserable tho, go see granny in the Nursing home, have a jar, a punt on the gee-gees, no point losing the money shelled out on the ski trip. It's be grand. Wash your hands"

Stage 3 is " For feck sake, didn't we broadly hint dire warnings at ye and give speeches about how grand we'll all be if you just suck up a few more minor inconveniences like having no jobs to go to and where did ye go? The effin pub! Hoards of ye. We're closing those now. It's your own fault. "

"LOOK - our underpaid, badly resources frontline staff are doing trojan work and you mucksavages insult them by going to the beach. Who the actual do you think you are? Didn't we tell you that kind of thing will kill your granny stone dead?!? We would have this completely under control if you would all just stay the f at home and support the drinks industry but no - tis walks in the woods ye want. We're closing the countryside. It's your own fault".

"shut up, you are getting the dole, the banks have pretended to offer some help while making a sliver of a tax free profit that's all you need to know going forward. The economy will be grand. We can borrow magic money acorns at an unprecedented low price going forward and we have the beginning of an inkling of a plan how to form a FGFF government which is what God wants for Ireland going forward"

" It's easy *sigh* if you just pay attention 45218 tests have been done to date up to 23 hundred hours last Tuesday week, going forward we will be doing 32654 tests every day in the soon to come on line new test centres. We have reached an agreement to convert the speed vans into mobile test centres and there will be one in every layby by friday... saturday at the latest. When we add the results of the 96652 tests to the 5666666 German tests we get the square root of Pi which shows how successfully we have been hopping the head off the curve with a hurley. There have been some small issues as there is a global run on tissues but we have placed an additional order with the Chinese for €7 million worth of bog roll and sure the stuff we got last time makes great tracing paper for the contact tracing of the 7 people the 5 people who tested positive shared a luas with 3 weeks ago."

"We don't want to cause any panic because everything is grand but as Seamus Heaney said there's a brah brict moonlicht SURGE coming and the curve is looking a bit sneaky snake as it slithers over a drumlin near YOU but it's better than snakes on a plane and would ye all just put the fecking kettle on the coal fire, stuff your faces with chocolate, do as ye are told, stay inside, wash your hands, facetime granny, and stop asking your betters questions. We've got this under control :mad:. Now let us us give a big bualadh bos to the frontline staff sleeping in their cars and sheds"

What we never get is treated like adults, transparency, lack of spin, or any kind of openness.

Well put!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wouldn't be, I would be looking at the fact that the survival rate eventually drops to zero when your organs sustain above a certain amount of damage. This virus attacks them, sometimes until it nearly kills you. Then when you think you're better and you're weakened from the struggle, it potentially comes back and kills you. Better to exercise an abundance of caution and avoid the thing completely. Personally I don't understand how people are willing to go and work in Tesco for fuçkall when there is so little known about this thing.
    While I would agree as far as avoiding catching the damn thing(and spreading it on) there's quite a bit known about it S. The most solid ground appears to be that it overwhelmingly attacks older people and those with serious underlying conditions* as far as death rates are concerned. The vast majority of cases are mild, that is don't require hospitalisation. The vast majority of people recover and both those numbers go up the more testing is applied. QV Iceland.

The results of an absolutely tiny sample group of hospitalised patients in Wuhan and possible long term side effects measured over the very short term are to be regarded with a large dollop of caution. This goes double for looking at long term outcomes in people who have been sedated and ventilated and survived. If you were to take a perfectly healthy individual and sedate and ventilate them for two weeks, I'd bet the farm they'd have short and medium term impacts from that alone. With no covid involved.

*because of the fantastic advances in modern medicine it's easy to consider that high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes are not serious underlying conditions. They are eminently treatable, but they are still pretty bloody serious conditions that have knock on effects throughout the body.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Seems people have had enough of the current setup.

Looks like patience is running out.

Where do we go from here?

And thats why they couldn't have introduced a lockdown earlier. People would have started to disregard it within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's heavy-handed... but if it saves lives?

Over here, we would be more worried about people's civil liberties than saving lives...

You're comparing us to a country where you can walk around with a gun in your pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

The numbers coming back from the German lab are reported every day.
    But people probably just hear the number of new cases diagnosed in Ireland and number of deaths and then tune out.

I try to jot down the figures as Tony says them on my phone. Here are the numbers that were reported the last couple of days. Open to correction as this was just me taking them down.

April 10th
    480 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    260/216? positive cases from Germany (i wasn't sure if he said 260 or 216)

April 9th
    500 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 3,257 tests, 427 positive, 13% positivity rate

April 8th
    365 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 1,532 tests, 99 positive, 6% positivity rate

April 7th
    345 cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 20 positive cases from Germany, an 11% positivity rate

April 6th
    370 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 6,129 tests, 468 positive, 7.6% positivity rate

I didn't record any prior to April 6th.

The numbers were there, people just didn't pay attention to them.

They were kept separate because, as others have said, it would give a false look on the current spread of the virus. The number of new cases from Ireland are the ones being reported since the beginning, and that's what people were used to. If you start breaking them down by Irish and German figures people would get completely confused and it would not accurately reflect the current growth in Ireland.

As someone who stated on this thread that I thought the German results were being included I must hold my hand up.I was basing this in the first instance on Paul Reid's interview last Sunday.I will try to find the quote but basically he said that the German results had come though on Friday 3rd April.He categorically did not say that these were being reported separately.
    When the CMO mentioned the figures above in his daily press briefing he never once said specifically that these are in addition to the daily new case figure mentioned earlier.He did mentioned being included in the modelling by Prof Philip Nolan.I took this to mean that the graph of cases would be adjusted for the German cases.

As it happened the major increase in Irish new cases occured on Friday April 3rd so it was perfectly reasonable to think this was partly as a result of the inclusion of the German cases.

My main gripe is this.. 90% of people who read the papers would look at the total number of cases ,the daily new cases and the deaths.The figures given on the international comparison sites use these figures also.Despite this for 7 days one of these figures...total number of cases was being reported incorrectly.The Dept of Health knew this yet never once mentioned it.A simple correction earlier in the week would have clarified this very simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Like everyone else I am watching every update press conf from the DOH.

Why does the curve graph that they have behind them never get updated?
    It's still the 'what we are aiming to do' picture from day 1. I would like to see someone stand up each day and show a change to where we are now - let us know what effect our efforts are having.

I don't know why they don't see that a bit of graphic encouragement might go a long way in keeping public support. Unless.... maybe the current graph picture won't be so positive?

Either way, shouldn't we be told.?.. or more importantly shown in a manner that doesn't involve arguments over how testing and results figures are presented?

There is no morning update? :confused:

There is only one update per pay at 11 am for previous 24 hours.

Still shows another fall to 510 deaths though.

Where do you find that update? Im just talking about worldometres they post a morning update for Spain around 11am or so, then some more figures are added about twice in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We (Irish Authorities) now have three weeks until May 5th to do something about this virus, here is what should be done IMHO:

* Order 5 million anti-body tests
    * downscale current C19 testing and upscale with this new anti-body test
    * issue clear-to-go cards for citizens who are C19 immune who are then allowed to move freely
    * mandatory anti-body testing for the entire population - put those 50 testing centres into actual meaningful use
    * lockdown to remain in place for those over 66 (retired) or with a compromised immune system unless they pass an anti-body test
    * relax restrictions for the remainder of the population to pre-March 28th levels from May 5th
    * require that anyone entering Ireland has an anti-body test on the spot - if you refuse, immediate denial of entry to the state.
    * full opening of all businesses by May 18th.

This operation would require that we get up to 100,000 antibody tests done a day. With ~50 centres this would require a throughput of 2,000 people each day. Manageable?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I just watched Ryan Tubridy speil last night. One question stands out to me how on earth did he get a test. He seemed to make out that he had only one symptom which was a cough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Danno wrote: »
    We (Irish Authorities) now have three weeks until May 5th to do something about this virus, here is what should be done IMHO:

* Order 5 million anti-body tests
    * downscale current C19 testing and upscale with this new anti-body test
    * issue clear-to-go cards for citizens who are C19 immune who are then allowed to move freely
    * mandatory anti-body testing for the entire population - put those 50 testing centres into actual meaningful use
    * lockdown to remain in place for those over 66 (retired) or with a compromised immune system unless they pass an anti-body test
    * relax restrictions for the remainder of the population to pre-March 28th levels
    * require that anyone entering Ireland has an anti-body test on the spot - if you refuse, immediate denial of entry to the state.
    * full opening of all businesses by May 18th.

This operation would require that we get up to 100,000 antibody tests done a day. With ~50 centres this would require a throughput of 2,000 people each day. Manageable?

Where are you going to get 5,000,000 reliable antibody tests?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Where are you going to get 5,000,000 reliable antibody tests?

Antibody testing is quite reliable if done in a laboratory setting. It's just time consuming. It's the 15 minute finger prick tests that aren't reliable enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I just watched Ryan Tubridy speil last night. One question stands out to me how on earth did he get a test. He seemed to make out that he had only one symptom which was a cough?

And yet everyone else have to have two symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Worth watching.

Everyone tested. Anyone who tests positive put in hospital to isolate from passing on in community.
    Masks.

Try to see past the Asian faces and accent. Imagine it’s a different country if you must. I’m not sure what the economy of Wuhan is but it’s massive. They are not dado masochists wanting to kill their economy. They wanted to get back to normal.

https://twitter.com/cgtnofficial/status/1248234206582300673?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement