Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

cloudatlas wrote:
    News websites reporting deaths of under 50's saying 'fit father 48' or 'fit 30 year old' and then you see the picture and it is of someone who is over weight and obese. I'm sorry they passed away but they were never 'fit'.

Have you got a point to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So the US is killing the messenger that they ignored.
    It's classic Trump flailing about for a target and that need to be seen to be doing something. He had to give up that reopening of the country he said he was thinking about. With his unpredictability he could still backtrack on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For their many faults I’d take Clinton, Bush, Obama, Regan, ANYONE... over Trump in this or any situation. It’s just seriously worrying, pulling funding like a petulant child from the WHO....an organization with immense capability to do a hell of a lot of good for the world. If he doesn’t like something they did or didn’t do , the time to address that is in the aftermath.

Question needs to be asked how much say his cabinet have, how much influence ? It’s either very little or if they do it’s a case of just being cut from the same cloth or ‘yes men’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So the US is killing the messenger that they ignored.

The WHO's handling of this crisis has been so inept, it's bordering on criminal negligence and a full investigation needs to be carried out to determine how those in charge got it so wrong, so something like this can never happen again.
    Trump pulling funding is unfortunate only because it will generate the usual outrage on anything he does and generate sympathy for the WHO.

Even CNN who hate Trump were giving out about the WHO last night, saying they were slow to call it a pandemic.

The initial WHO response to this was woeful, no-one disputes that. They advised people to fly away, both in and out of China. This was the starting point for the worldwide spread.

If this was isolated to China early, we'd actually have a functioning world economy at the moment, instead of wrecked economies and another Great Depression on the way.

Would not be so sure of a great depression - Spanish Flu was followed by the roaring 20's, and most outbreaks of plagued were followed by some degree of economic growth

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    The WHO's handling of this crisis has been so inept, it's bordering on criminal negligence and a full investigation needs to be carried out to determine how those in charge got it so wrong, so something like this can never happen again.
    Trump pulling funding is unfortunate only because it will generate the usual outrage on anything he does and generate sympathy for the WHO.
    In what way have they been inept? Almost every country is following their guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only thing?

Really?

:confused:

Pence needs to have that orange idiot sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

khalessi wrote: »
    Hopefully with their families carrying out social isolation. Mine will be

Fair play to you - hope is very different to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

walshb wrote: »
    What?

So, the actual spreading of it means nothing, just once the teens who may catch it have no underlying condition?

I am concerned about the spreading of it among the teens...

Isn't that what all this social-distancing is about, or have I missed something?

But what other options do they have when it comes to the LC? make all other them do 6th year again and sit the LC in June 2021?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Strumms wrote: »
    For their many faults I’d take Clinton, Bush, Obama, Regan, ANYONE... over Trump in this or any situation. It’s just seriously worrying, pulling funding like a petulant child from the WHO....an organization with immense capability to do a hell of a lot of good for the world. If he doesn’t like something they did or didn’t do , the time to address that is in the aftermath.

Question needs to be asked how much say his cabinet have, how much influence ? It’s either very little or if they do it’s a case of just being cut from the same cloth or ‘yes men’.

Absolutely....

How is this man allowed behave the way he does....?

His people and cabinet are very much to blame here.....

Even Faucci.......is Faucci that desperate to be the face of all this, that he can work with a man who has shown him nothing but contempt?

I am a little surprised that a revolt has not taken place in his circle and his cabinet...

I tell you, Trump would not be tolerated for a millisecond in any dignified democracy.....

• Advertisement

But, do you cut your nose off to spite your face, or say, hmmm ok, I expected better, you have funds now go DO better. The cutting funding is unfortunate because the world is going through a health crisis like never before. At which time the WHO have had the rug pulled from beneath them.

is_that_so wrote: »
    In what way have they been inept? Almost every country is following their guidelines.

The kept saying we should not ban Chinese flights because China didn't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Absolutely....

Even Faucci.......is Faucci that desperate to be the face of all this, that he can work with a man who has shown him nothing but contempt?

Fauci is trying to save lives, that idiot is just an unnecessary obstacle in his way.

It's the GOP's fault, they let it get to this, you can't offend the King.

We are talking about a scum bag who was threatening states if they didn't say nice things about him.

Absolute cretin.

I wish we ignored WHO advice on travel bans. Many countries have at this stage.
    Not much to ban. 900 people arriving and departing in Dublin airport on Easter Monday versus a typical expected 100K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

How so? 15% of Global GDP and 15% of WHO budget.

And they are within their rights, but morally they are completely bankrupt. All to stroke the ego of a narcissist

12% is actually controlled by Congress, so the Orange Oaf really only controls 3% of the W.H.O budget. Though you might not get that impression from listening to his inane ramblings.

We are talking about a budget of less than 5 billion, the cost of a large metropolitan hospital in any large city in the world.

I am sure that other countries, who have a functioning moral compass, will easily make up for the 3% and hopefully an awful lot more.

This might actually result in a large bonus to W.H.O funding, when countries realize the invaluable function they perform, and the crass stupidity of Trump's attempt to deflect attention away from his own glaringly obvious failures.

Not much to ban. 900 people arriving and departing in Dublin airport on Easter Monday versus a typical 100K.

Not now but the ban should've come in place a month or 2 ago

Strumms wrote: »
    But, do you cut your nose off to spite your face, or say, hmmm ok, I expected better, you have funds now go DO better. The cutting funding is unfortunate because the world is going through a health crisis like never before. At which time the WHO have had the rug pulled from beneath them.

This cutting of funds is nothing to do with anything other than Trump and deflection and blaming anyone else....it's the work of a schoolyard bully. He is like a 6 year ol having a tantrum, but by god, this 6 year old yields tremendous power, with impunity...

This man would detonate the bomb to deflect and blame and cause hostility.

I used to admire America, but recently I am disgusted and ashamed by it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It’s amazing though - we are in probably the worst non military crisis the world has seen in modern times and a signifiant number of countries are seemingly engaged in naval gazing idiocy.

I guess maybe this is what happens when you’ve decades of relatively peaceful, prosperous (a few recessions and so on but nothing horrendous), healthy times - the electorates in a few countries stopped paying any serious heed to politics, the quality of candidates stepping forward became very low, social drivers moved away from politics and it’s been seen as a side show in the USA in particular but the U.K. too - a sort of weird blend of infotainment and about as relevant as WWE wrestling.

Then we hit a crisis and you’ve a couple of key players neck deep in a political world that belongs on reality tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Absolutely....

I am a little surprised that a revolt has not taken place in his circle and his cabinet...

I tell you, Trump would not be tolerated for a millisecond in any dignified democracy.....

The Whitehouse administration lost all dignity a while ago. Among Trump's chief advisers and strategist are his daughter and son in law. Neither have any qualifications or experience for the job.
    They're not even trying to hide the nepotism any more.
    I think the the whole thing has got so toxic that decent Americans are forgetting what normal politics should look like.

Boggles wrote: »
    Fauci is trying to save lives, that idiot is just an unnecessary obstacle in his way.

It's the GOP's fault, they let it get to this, you can't offend the King.

We are talking about a scum bag who was threatening states if they didn't say nice things about him.

Absolute cretin.

Indeed......

Surely there are people behind the scenes really thinking hard about this nutcase in power.......

Not all the U.S. powers can continue to allow this man run wild.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

This cutting of funds is nothing to do with anything other than Trump and deflection and blaming anyone else....it's the work of a schoolyard bully. He is like a 6 year ol having a tantrum, but by god, this 6 year old yields tremendous power, with impunity...

The virus didn't start in America though. It started in China and spread around the world. That fact seems to have been forgotten. The Who didn't want flights from China banned. Look how that turned out.
    Blame the Us though and keep buying from China

In the end it will once again be the Us that saves the world

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    The kept saying we should not ban Chinese flights because China didn't like it
    As Harris pointed out about Italy, people could have come from other places anyway. The WHO position is based on evidence. Here's a paper from them on it.

https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/92/12/14-135590/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Would not be so sure of a great depression - Spanish Flu was followed by the roaring 20's, and most outbreaks of plagued were followed by some degree of economic growth
    Correct me if I'm wrong, pandemics/plague that killed a lot of people when there was a lot of population growth... whereas Covid is killing almost no one according to official stats, and most of EU has no pop growth.
    It is making a lot of debt which I'm not sure previous pandemics did.
    Not complaining mind.

joe40 wrote: »
    The Whitehouse administration lost all dignity a while ago. Among Trump's chief advisers and strategist are his daughter and son in law. Neither have any qualifications or experience for the job.
    They're not even trying to hide the nepotism any more.
    I think the the whole thing has got so toxic that decent Americans are forgetting what normal politics should look like.

Yeh.....

I am lost for words and reasons for the sate of U.S. politics......

I know they have had issues, like everyone, but today and since Trump, it really has sunk to desperate lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Fair play to you - hope is very different to reality.

As the adult in the family it is up to us to tell them sorry but pandemic, mixing with friends verboden now go sulk in room or garden with social media device or some such.

It will be difficult but has to be done for me as in my head, I walked out of my school knowing it will be 6 months before I return.

So for my children it will be 6 months of social isolation and then I will think about it. That means no staycation as we normally do as I cant trust them to social distance with friends.

Cause that is what being a parent is, knowing when to say no

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Ireland has a population of roughly 5 million people. With 800 new cases per day we are the equivalent of a country like Spain if they had 8,000 cases per day
    A lot of highly infected countries like italy or Spain managed to stay within the 6,000 new cases even during peak. We are not doing very well

per capita is a lazy argument on cases. The same as comparing per capita for Kerry and Madrid or Dublin and the Canaries. Each countries stats are a series of local stats, each with their only severity and local contributors.
    But if you want to go down that road - we have never had 800 cases in a day - the recent spike is backlog with a highest actual daily total of closer to 600 (we will know the true figure when chronology of backlog is updated). We also completed 50% more tests than Spain - so our peak, per capita, is closer to 4,000 spanish equivalent, which is 50% of their peak (8271 on the 26th March)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The virus didn't start in America though. It started in China and spread around the world. The Who didn't want flights from China banned. Look how that turned out.
    Blame the Us though and keep buying from China

The US, through it's president, has engaged in a never-ending blame game on every single topic for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I think what people forget is that transmission of the virus is very frequent in families. So selfish people who ignore containment measures are more likely to contract Covid-19, bring it home, spread it around and kill their granny.

I know people still calling into their friends and families even now!

100%, he’s every inch a maniac. Like in his election campaign he’s now pandering to the lowest common denominator. Fear mongering , accusing and trying to deflect blame... so he and his cronies come smelling of roses.

I was a fan of the US on the whole but this is like a really bad B movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Absolutely....

Faucci is just trying to save as many American lives as he can.

I do not envy his position trying to get what is needed done for the public good, in the face of overwhelming odds and an unstable boss.

He is one of the few who will emerge from this with honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I know people still calling into their friends and families even now!

A hidden benefit is that such behaviour will eventually raise Ireland's average IQ.

Faucci is just trying to save as many American lives as he can.

I do not envy his position trying to get what is needed done for the public good, in the face of overwhelming odds and an unstable boss.

He is one of the few who will emerge from this with honour.

Agreed...

But taking areal stance here by someone like a Faucci could really change things....

Trump needs to be removed.......he really does....and only until those that work with him take a real stance, well.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The US, through it's president, has engaged in a never-ending blame game on every single topic for the last 4 years.

China and the Us are in a constant battle to be world leader. China is catching fast. Us- China trade wars and squabbles will only increase as time goes on. Since you live in the western world and enjoy western liberal freedoms it is in your interest and your children and their childrens interest that the balance of power remains with the US. The west.

Look at Norway aswell the way they have turned it around, and then you have utter ****holes like Spain and Italy that have been in lockdown for longer and are only getting worse - it's a f*cking JOKE!

Spain and Italy are getting better, slowly and steadily, but is clear in the data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Correct me if I'm wrong, pandemics/plague that killed a lot of people when there was a lot of population growth... whereas Covid is killing almost no one according to official stats, and most of EU has no pop growth.

You're not wrong.

The reported death rate so far is 0.002% of the global population.

Taiwan: Six dead. Population 24 million. No lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I agree but it doesn't change the fact this falls squarely on China's shoulders.
    I agree the way China handled this initially was horribly and should be held to blame. However would you agree that the way countries leadershandle the virus in there own countries should be held to blame?

While I do agree China will have to hold there hands up (and in a way the WHO) in the middle of the pandemic may not be the right time

It's crazy the way people lose their head over Trump, but are just fine with the CCP and the WHO doing what they did ...

Its plain as day what Trump did and is doing, its obvious China have covered up in some way just not clear how, but hopefully will come to light, but can someone, anyone explain what the WHO did wrong? I may have missed it in all the other noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We have a problem sometimes in Ireland where sewage goes into the sea at some beaches. Would beaches and swimming at the beach be a possible source for picking infection and the covid19 infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

owlbethere wrote: »
    We have a problem sometimes in Ireland where sewage goes into the sea at some beaches. Would beaches and swimming at the beach be a possible source for picking infection and the covid19 infection?

There has been discussions about it being found in feces son maybe but then it could be diluted if in sea and maybe if swimming in sewage infested water maybe covid not first thought lol

Look at Norway aswell the way they have turned it around, and then you have utter ****holes like Spain and Italy that have been in lockdown for longer and are only getting worse - it's a f*cking JOKE!

Its isn't as if economic embargoes and house confinement for whole populations are a time-tested method for combating the spread of disease. Why do the folk epidemologists of boards have such a strong emotional investment in it?

Lots of experienced disease specialists predicted that the situation in Spain and Italy was the result of environmental factors. Presumably those factors are still present, so mystery solved.

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    You're not wrong.

The reported death rate so far is 0.002% of the global population.

Taiwan: Six dead. Population 24 million. No lockdown.
    That would the lessons from SARS back in 2003, which we now have, for the next time.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Category/ListContent/bg0g_VU_Ysrgkes_KRUDgQ?uaid=u1D6dRGtmP4Q5YA1GmSKIw

Interesting article.

Their methods of border control and quarantine seem an utterly sensible alternative to lockdown. I hope we can learn from it - and not make globalist ideology a priority.

I didn't realise China had gotten them barred from WHO conferences.
    In Taiwan, most residents carry on as normal, with offices and schools open. Many restaurants, gyms, and cafes in the capital, Taipei, are still bustling, although most premises will take temperatures and spray hands with sanitiser before allowing customers in.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Your link backs up my point- US GDP is not quite double China's but was more that double that of China up to 2012, so having double the contributions makes sense. Other countries appear about the same by GDP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

owlbethere wrote: »
    Regarding schools, I think maybe we would be better of they were to remain closed until September. It will be a raw deal for the 6th class pupils transitioning to secondary school without finishing primary school though.

It's a given the schools aren't returning until September at the very earliest. There is nothing to be gained bringing a group of super spreaders together for what 3 weeks before their summer recess risking an uncontrolled spread that will over run our health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths have now risen above 100 in the last two days in Greece, Hungary,Morocco, Pakistan, Colombia,Israel, Ukraine and Argentina

Now 42 countries worldwide with more than 100 deaths

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

As the adult in the family it is up to us to tell them sorry but pandemic, mixing with friends verboden now go sulk in room or garden with social media device or some such.

It will be difficult but has to be done for me as in my head, I walked out of my school knowing it will be 6 months before I return.

So for my children it will be 6 months of social isolation and then I will think about it. That means no staycation as we normally do as I cant trust them to social distance with friends.

Cause that is what being a parent is, knowing when to say no

Quoting for posterity. Finally, a parent acting like a parent!! Hats off to you, khalessi. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

There has been discussions about it being found in feces son maybe but then it could be diluted if in sea and maybe if swimming in sewage infested water maybe covid not first thought lol

I wonder how long the virus can survive for in feces. How safe is it going to be to empty the septic tank of someone who had Covid-19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

New Home wrote: »
    Quoting for posterity. Finally, a parent acting like a parent!! Hats off to you, khalessi. :cool:

In fairness, her kids are dragons so it's not quite the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

joe_99 wrote: »
    Trump and Xi Jinping as possibly the two worst world leaders to have at this time. Shambolic from both. Depressing

Two absolute idiots of the highest order but it's amazing the way Xi escapes from the line of fire given just how dangerous he is.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's a given the schools aren't returning until September at the very earliest. There is nothing to be gained bringing a group of super spreaders together for what 3 weeks before their summer recess risking an uncontrolled spread that will over run our health service.
    Do you really think they've been harbouring the virus for all these months just to unleash it onto an unsuspecting world?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement