Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sweden reports 170 new deaths from coronavirus.

Netherlands reports 189 new deaths.

Belgium reports 283 new deaths.

Switzerland reports 96 new deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Spain gonna have a big big rise again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

walshb wrote: »
    Agreed...

But taking areal stance here by someone like a Faucci could really change things....

Trump needs to be removed.......he really does....and only until those that work with him take a real stance, well.....

Faucci said that Trump did everything he asked of him, the idea that Trump made every wrong move possible isnt sustainable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

wakka12 wrote: »
    Germany has become the 8th country to report more deaths thanChina. Netherlands will also likely overtake china within the next day or two

It's not actually true, but by the numbers disclosed yes.

UK reports 801 new deaths, brings total to 12,908

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Norway

Spain, Italy, Sweden - look and learn ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Deaths are down again but new cases well up, possibly due to a lot more testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not much to ban. 900 people arriving and departing in Dublin airport on Easter Monday versus a typical expected 100K.

Are you for real, are you? On average 450 arriving in on a single day in the midst of a pandemic raving the world, and this is somehow not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

silverharp wrote: »
    Faucci said that Trump did everything he asked of him, the idea that Trump made every wrong move possible isnt sustainable

He also said that if they had acted earlier they would have saved lives. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/coronavirus-trump-retweets-call-fire-gov-expert-fauci-200413071754443.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250365064726659073
    anyone have an image of the text sent by the HSE ?

it might help fraudsters so maybe don't post it, but it would be useful to compare.

what if the IT system left the reference number bit blank...
    Your GP and HSELive do not have access to your reference number.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Is it possible frank321 to hold both to account? Is your post an attempt to do what you accuse other of because America invests a lot here. Is your argument that this somehow makes them immune from criticism?

It doesn't make them immune. But its tiresome at this stage on thread after thread focusing on the US.

Oddly enough if you look at per capita numbers, the US is doing better than us.

The US has 70 times our population. Our 41 deaths yesterday would be the equivalent of 2870 deaths in the US. Our 10,000 cases would be the equivalent of 700,000 cases in the US.

And before people say the numbers are massaged in the US by the federal government, its individual states who are responsible for testing and counting numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

keynes wrote: »
    Are you for real, are you? On average 450 arriving in on a single day in the midst of a pandemic raving the world, and this is somehow not a problem.

Yes, I would like to know if these numbers are correct. If so, absolutely crazy.

How do these stack up compared to the US per capita?

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder how long the virus can survive for in feces. How safe is it going to be to empty the septic tank of someone who had Covid-19?

There are far more harmful things to be worried about when encountering feces than Covid. All precautions when take handling human waste under normal conditions should be sufficient, even if it did survive in waste. I would suggest if when emptying a spetic tank you frequently encounter gastroenteritis or other issues, you might want to revise your methods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Blueshoe wrote: »
    China and the Us are in a constant battle to be world leader. China is catching fast. Us- China trade wars and squabbles will only increase as time goes on. Since you live in the western world and enjoy western liberal freedoms it is in your interest and your children and their childrens interest that the balance of power remains with the US. The west.

Completely agree - that's why Trump, to quote a man, "is a DISAAAAASTER".

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »

That goes for almost 200 countries, Ireland included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's a given the schools aren't returning until September at the very earliest. There is nothing to be gained bringing a group of super spreaders together for what 3 weeks before their summer recess risking an uncontrolled spread that will over run our health service.

Just do it in September instead?

The Washington Post is reporting that Donald Trump's name is to be printed on the coronavirus stimulus cheques being sent out to at least 80 million Americans where each adult is expected to receive a lump sum of $1,200.

The administration has denied this is the reason for the delay in dispersing the cheques.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/15/coronavirus-live-updates-stimulus-checks-us-deaths-donald-trump/2990712001/
    President Trump's name will appear on checks

The IRS began distributing stimulus money via direct deposit and launched an online portal that allows Americans to input their direct deposit information. For those who require a check, it could be in the mail next week - and will include Trump's signature, according to multiple media reports citing unnamed Treasury Department and IRS officials. Trump said earlier this month he did not plan on signing them.

ugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Completely agree - that's why Trump, to quote a man, "is a DISAAAAASTER".

He will most likely be gone after the election. Not only does he have Biden (don't get me started) against him but also pretty much the entire global media. He won't win the election.
    Tensions with China will roll on though.

Closer to home and in good news the info is reporting leo will have to cull a few minsters to move forward with new government. Richard Bruton likely given the door. Thank Christ for that

I think I may have said this to you before, but a single day is not a trend, for your own sake try to take a 5 day view on the stats if you need to look at them everyday, because that's the only useful way to do it. Day to day things will swing wildly at times, but over a number of days the underling direction will be more clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How do these stack up compared to the US per capita?

Its hard to compare to the US as the spread of cases and deaths is very uneven compared to European countries, very skewed towards New York. If NYC was considered as a separate country to the rest of the US it would look a lot less affected

Almost half of all American cases and deaths are in NY and neighbouring New Jersey

Most other states are still badly affected though just not as much. Louisiana with a population the same as Ireland has over 1000 deaths.
    Masschusetts with the same population as Bulgaria has 1000 deaths. Michigan with the same population as Portugal has 2000 deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder how long the virus can survive for in feces. How safe is it going to be to empty the septic tank of someone who had Covid-19?

The question that was on so many peoples lips but no one else had the courage to ask.

I would suggest that anyone doing such a job would be wearing the appropiate PPE at the best of times.
    Raind: There are far more harmful things to be worried about when encountering feces than Covid. All precautions when take handling human waste under normal conditions should be sufficient, even if it did survive in waste. I would suggest if when emptying a spetic tank you frequently encounter gastroenteritis or other issues, you might want to revise your methods
    raind is online now Report Post
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The question that was on so many peoples lips but no one else had the courage to ask.

I would suggest that anyone doing such a job would be wearing the appropiate PPE at the best of times.

+1

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229095
    Does coronavirus spread in faeces

just one of many googled atricles

https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus/will-my-septic-system-treat-covid-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For all the bad things that's said about Trump, and he is an idiot at best, he stopped all non-essential flights from China very early on in this and was universally criticised for it. His opponent in the next Presidential election called him xenophobic for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

eagle eye wrote: »
    For all the bad things that's said about Trump, and he is an idiot at best, he stopped all non-essential flights from China very early on in this and was universally criticised for it. His opponent in the next Presidential election called him xenophobic for doing it.

I think I've heard him mention that once or twice alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Two absolute idiots of the highest order but it's amazing the way Xi escapes from the line of fire given just how dangerous he is.
    Unfortunately, some people are quite easily led just by watching RTE news or reading Irish Times editorials/reports. Trump is the anti-Christ to both of these liberal outlets, so their reporting will be obviously biased.
    The cultural genocide of the Muslim Uighur in Xinjiang, the atrocities committed in Tibet by the Chinese army, the persecution of other ethnical and religious minorities all around China is glossed over by the liberal media in this country. Even if verifiable proof that Covid-19 was indeed created in a Wuhan lab, there would be posters on here blaming Trump and not Xi.

How many re-education camps are there in the U.S.? None.
    But they are scattered all around China; yet not a peep from the Irish liberal elite. They are too busy telling us how bad the U.S. is .......

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

It doesn't make them immune. But its tiresome at this stage on thread after thread focusing on the US.

The US has 70 times our population. Our 41 deaths yesterday would be the equivalent of 2870 deaths in the US. Our 10,000 cases would be the equivalent of 700,000 cases in the US.

And before people say the numbers are massaged in the US by the federal government, its individual states who are responsible for testing and counting numbers.

I really don't think you can compare like with like here, in the US only those with private health insurance, who can afford the tens of thousands that it costs to be treated or who qualify for medicare (which has a very tight criteria) are presenting to hospital. Sadly, there are many, many more dying in their own homes. These people are not being included in the US figures as they have not been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Just putting it out - is it time to ban running in public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I really don't think you can compare like with like here, in the US only those with private health insurance, who can afford the tens of thousands that it costs to be treated or who qualify for medicare (which has a very tight criteria) are presenting to hospital. Sadly, there are many, many more dying in their own homes. These people are not being included in the US figures as they have not been tested.

Indeed, the US death toll is a significant undercount. 4,000 unreported deaths were announced for New York city alone yesterday

Ireland is one of the only countries currently reporting a continuously accurate death toll

The Washington Post is reporting that Donald Trump's name is to be printed on the coronavirus stimulus cheques being sent out to at least 80 million Americans where each adult is expected to receive a lump sum of $1,200.

The administration has denied this is the reason for the delay in dispersing the cheques.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/15/coronavirus-live-updates-stimulus-checks-us-deaths-donald-trump/2990712001/

ugh

I'm surprised he hasn't named days of the week after himself at this stage. He wouldn't be out of place in North Korea with the cult of personality being aggressively pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Strumms wrote: »
    For their many faults I’d take Clinton, Bush, Obama, Regan, ANYONE... over Trump in this or any situation. It’s just seriously worrying, pulling funding like a petulant child from the WHO....an organization with immense capability to do a hell of a lot of good for the world. If he doesn’t like something they did or didn’t do , the time to address that is in the aftermath.

Question needs to be asked how much say his cabinet have, how much influence ? It’s either very little or if they do it’s a case of just being cut from the same cloth or ‘yes men’.

Give me bush anytime ..

As a frontline doctor I must disagree. Compared to what we planned for we are doing very well from a capacity and resources point of view. I'm sure you won't believe me but I have no loyalty to any politician I post my honest views here.

Hello Leo. :D

Did stopping flights do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Testing numbers are a totally flawed comparison metric, there are simply too many know variances involved.

USA pop ~67x pop of Ireland, deaths 26,061/67 = 389, Ireland deaths 366/407 so roughly the same.

But US data on deaths likely to lag to greater extent than in Ireland, given the multi-layered jurisdictions involved, US CDC est. 2wks plus.

That's assuming that there is consistency in the data reporting across US counties and states, and of course there isn't, cf US CDC.

Just putting it out - is it time to ban running in public?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Rvsmmnps wrote: »

Is there a point to this? I could only listen to four minutes of the rambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And it didn't make one iota of a difference.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote:
    And it didn't make one iota of a difference.
    Is that a criticism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Cheers. Can I ask, which country are or aren't reporting non hospital covid deaths?
    E.g. till now UK has not been reporting nursing home deaths like we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

None apart from one person badly influencing others as she doesnt understand viral spread or how a pandemic works as she is not sick yet. I watched it and not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Kivaro wrote: »
    How many re-education camps are there in the U.S.? None.
    But they are scattered all around China; yet not a peep from the Irish liberal elite. They are too busy telling us how bad the U.S. is .......

I agree with you but re-education camps weren't required in the US because Hollywood did such a fantastic job of ensuring that there was a plentiful supply of all-American kids rolling off the production line, unlikely to vote "wrong". It was also pure genius, coming up with the concept of "the American Dream".

Having said that, China's human rights record is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I notice Driving School lessons are still happening in my area. not sure its a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well if we look at individual states like Florida, who have now classed WWE Wrestlers as essential workers, it's not a leap to suggest they might not be taking this pandemic seriously, so there figures might not be all that reliable.

We simply don't know the scale of death in such a vast country, if all states are using different methodology to record deaths, but i agree with you i don't believe there is a intentional cover up of deaths due to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

fritzelly wrote: »
    Said it so many many threads ago about the WHO - far too political and all about saving face instead of calling out countries fecking up.

The WHO is an apolitical organisation. That's the point. If they weren't, they'd be condemning America up and down the street for all the shit they bring to the world.

Trump and his arseholes dumping on the WHO for not pointing fingers at China is silly. It wouldn't have served neither them, nor anyone else, to be criticising China at the beginning of a viral outbreak that threatened the rest of us. It only would have made China close up even more and be LESS transparent than were told they were.

Trump is being a jerk, plain and simple and his bootlicks are all in tow.

Did stopping flights do anything?

Was it a bad move in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

NY alone need to add an additional 3.5k deaths that were not recorded correctly. Source Worldometer. This is happening everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

The number of deaths and distribution doesn't make sense*in the us.23000 dead,10000 from nyc alone in a country of 330million..

Tony EH wrote: »
    The WHO is an apolitical organisation. That's the point. If they weren't, they'd be condemning America up and down the street for all the shit they bring to the world.

Trump and his arseholes dumping on the WHO for not pointing fingers at China is silly. It wouldn't have served neither them, nor anyone else, to be criticising China at the beginning of a viral outbreak that threatened the rest of us. It only would have made China close up even more and be LESS transparent than were told they were.

Trump is being a jerk, plain and simple and his bootlicks are all in tow.

Who has provided the most funds to the WHO in the last twelve months and in history?
    They have every right to criticise them if they feel the job they are doing isn't good enough.

You don't mention anything about their performance during this pandemic. The reason for that I'd guess is you know they have given lots of bad advice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement