Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You have 128 posts with the word 'flights' contained within. Do you maybe think people might have got your point by now?

128 out of close to 1000 posts.

Did you go through all 1000 posts to make this point? Sad if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

cloudatlas wrote: »
    News websites reporting deaths of under 50's saying 'fit father 48' or 'fit 30 year old' and then you see the picture and it is of someone who is over weight and obese. I'm sorry they passed away but they were never 'fit'.

Not hard to have some basic respect for the deceased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wakka12 wrote: »
    Doctor on RTÉ said joggers do represent risk of spreading infection to those they run by
    when was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

eagle eye wrote: »
    So along with caliing his decision xenophobic he called it hysterical and fear mongering. Wow.

The decision was not called xenophobic. Trump was called it.

Have you got a point to make?

I think his 'point' is that people like him won't die from it and people that do are partly to blame for their own fate. A sadly common view, dressed up in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump banned flights from China to suit his own trade war with China. Covid 19 was just the excuse. Up until mid march he repeatedly stated that it was no threat whatsoever.

And one of the reasons for the lack f a global response is Trumps unilateral stance on everything/ Unilateral by the way doesn't mean no one else acted, it means action was taken irregardless of what anyone else was doing.

And he banned them from Europe because?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Speaking from experience - i always seem to run past someone , the second they decide to cough!

Seems silly but running on public footpaths causes unwanted contact for both runners and walkers. Everyone needs patience at this time but is there an alternative?

I’m not a runner but maybe trying the local park if you have one , going across the pitches as opposed to paths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Chinese cities give vouchers to local residents that can only be spent locally to help economy.

http://www.nbd.com.cn/articles/2020-03-30/1421434.html

This keeps the money within China for a start, then it keeps money in the local areas it was issued, helps local businesses. This is also an incentive for people to stick to their local areas , as the vouchers have a relatively short expiration date.

The West just gives people cash while they have nothing to do or spend it on, making people more likely to travel around the place spreading disease and more likely to spend online shopping buying cheap goods made in China.

We don't really as people focus on these details, but these details really matter.

Is it clever on Chinas part or is it yet another way to extract more from everyone else to the benefit of the brutal authoritarian regime or both?

Even the most horrible, stupid people do the right thing sometimes.
    If you are trying to criticise him over something which any person with a bit of a brain knows was a right decisuon then you are beyond saving.
    My advice, walk away from American politics. Read about woeful world leaders not named Trump like Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Pinochet and Idi Amin. Then come back with a bit of reality. He us an awful, horrible man and a terrible President but that doesn't mean you have to hate everything he does.

You have to look at the action and the reason for the action. Trump took the action against flights from China as a stick to beat China with over his trade war. A full 6 weeks later he was still declaring this was just a flu. Trump does not make decisions based on right and wrong, but based on self interest and narcissism. If his own decision happens to align with the right decision on occasion, it is purely coincidence. In this case I am pretty certain, on it's own, it was not the right decision, as it was not coordinated with other countries. By the way, that's something far more governments and organisations have to take responsibility for. Global crisis cannot be solved through unilateral action, but what the Trump presidency has done is move the world further away from a co-ordinated international response on issues, to one of national self interest first. Pandemics do not respect borders and nationalism can only delay and not resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Its also happening in Ireland as our CMO admitted. Its also happening in the UK who are doing far worse than the US. Its happening in Italy and Spain.

You'd swear there was only one country in the world, the US.

As I said before, individual states are responsible for testing and collating numbers.

What part of me saying it's happening everywhere confused you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Did stopping flights do anything?

Look at all the hindrances that people are willing to support.

Out of all these, Trump halting flights from Wuhan is the one we deem as definitely unnecessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Who has provided the most funds to the WHO in the last twelve months and in history?
    They have every right to criticise them if they feel the job they are doing isn't good enough.

You don't mention anything about their performance during this pandemic. The reason for that I'd guess is you know they have given lots of bad advice.
    Lets say we take that at face value. What do you think of the timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Has anyone actually seen any Gardai? I live in a ****hole area so they're like mythical creatures, a few rare sightings here and there, that hasn't changed since the restrictions came into effect, and the neighbourhood has pretty much gone back to normal with people going about their "business".

Everything should be banned, imo. Too much risk with anything. Anything to be said for banning everything risky?

Not everything. Jogging right up by someone is as bad as sneezing near them at the moment, we have the evidence to see that. If people want to be defensive about it I can understand, but the evidence is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are people waiting weeks to get tested or a percentage waiting on their results due to a back log?

I don't understand this backlog. Weren't Ireland processing the tests chronologically?? If not, why not? If so, how are people waiting almost a month for results still??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You have to look at the action and the reason for the action. Trump took the action against flights from China as a stick to beat China with over his trade war. A full 6 weeks later he was still declaring this was just a flu. Trump does not make decisions based on right and wrong, but based on self interest and narcissism. If his own decision happens to align with the right decision on occasion, it is purely coincidence. In this case I am pretty certain, on it's own, it was not the right decision, as it was not coordinated with other countries. By the way, that's something far more governments and organisations have to take responsibility for. Global crisis cannot be solved through unilateral action, but what the Trump presidency has done is move the world further away from a co-ordinated international response on issues, to one of national self interest first. Pandemics do not respect borders and nationalism can only delay and not resolve.

Give me nationalism over globalism any day. Look after you and yours primarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

128 out of close to 1000 posts.

Did you go through all 1000 posts to make this point? Sad if so.

Nope, it took all of ten seconds because I know how to use the search facility. Does it seem likely that I manually counted?

That is a huge percentage of posts containing a non-link word. If you're that bothered about it which you clearly are, posting repeatedly about it on boards.ie seems a bit impotent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly, this is actually a blessing in disguise, just f*ck it, get masks to everyone, wash your hands loads, maintain social distancing, but get the economy back up !!!

We survived the 1918/19 pandemic with no vaccines, doubt there were lockdowns back then either ...

Moronic. Absolutely moronic.

Are you even remotely aware of the death toll from the flu pandemic that swept through the world at the end of the war.

You've posted a lot of stupid nonsense, but you take the biscuit here.

Taiwan certainly didn't think the WHO were doing a good job.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/PAD-lbwDHeN_bLa-viBOuw?typeid=158

And here is the WHO advising against travel bans.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-who/who-chief-says-widespread-travel-bans-not-needed-to-beat-china-virus-idUSKBN1ZX1H3

It couldn't be clearer that the WHO attempted to cover up the seriousness of covid 19 in the early weeks.

WHO does not operate in a political vacuum as much as we would like it to. Had they acted on Taiwan's advice, China, due to the ongoing political situation between the two countries, would likely have frozen the WHO out completely, leaving them with out any access to an evolving situation. So yes, in a ideal world they would have called out China's BS as early as possible, but what then once they no longer had access to any information?

• Advertisement

:D
    Oh my god, your username. I get the reference. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Just putting it out - is it time to ban running in public?

Definitely, it instills a sense of fear

why are those people running?, what are they running from?

Oh my God, I should run too, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Speaking from experience - i always seem to run past someone , the second they decide to cough!

Seems silly but running on public footpaths causes unwanted contact for both runners and walkers. Everyone needs patience at this time but is there an alternative?

I kind of hate myself for this, but I agree.

Someone was giving out about joggers a week or so ago and I dismissed it and moved on. But since I've experienced numerous joggers come too close to me and my kid in his buggy as they pass, panting heavily.

I don't think everyone should stop jogging due to my discomfort and paranoia, but I think yiz could be a little more mindful when you're out there. If possible get off the roads and paths and do laps of fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mwengwe wrote: »

I've always wanted to visit Addis Ababa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Not everything. Jogging right up by someone is as bad as sneezing near them at the moment, we have the evidence to see that. If people want to be defensive about it I can understand, but the evidence is there.

If people want to get defensive about feeling inadequate about not doing enough physical excercise, I can understand.

Running is better for you than walking, helps your immune system fight infection. If you're not running, I'd suggest for people to take it up. Might lessen the burden on the healthcare system if people are generally more healthy.

2 months later nearly. He could deny the seriousness of the situation no longer. And when he finally did, New York was already riddled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

spookwoman wrote: »
    What happened with belgium major jump in numbers unless they included nursing homes or something

Last two days were very low compared to their normal. I would imagine this is a correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A PR stunt basically. There were already 1200 cases when he announced the travel ban and case numbers rapidly accelerated for the next 3-4 weeks.

growleaves wrote: »
    Look at all the hindrances that people are willing to support.

Out of all these, Trump halting flights from Wuhan is the one we deem as definitely unnecessary?

We can debate the usefulness or not of the action, but the motivation was purely Trumpian self interest

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »

Certainly worked in 1933

Last two days were very low compared to their normal. I would imagine this is a correction.

Easter weekend, no administrative staff. All back today. Reports collated and generated = bump in death figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Even CNN who hate Trump were giving out about the WHO last night, saying they were slow to call it a pandemic.

The initial WHO response to this was woeful, no-one disputes that. They advised people to fly away, both in and out of China. This was the starting point for the worldwide spread.

If this was isolated to China early, we'd actually have a functioning world economy at the moment, instead of wrecked economies and another Great Depression on the way.

Incredible people are failing to grasp this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If people want to get defensive about feeling inadequate about not doing enough physical excercise, I can understand.

Running is better for you than walking, helps your immune system fight infection. If you're not running, I'd suggest for people to take it up. Might lessen the burden on the healthcare system if people are generally more healthy.

Nice. I'm absolutely pining for my gym fwiw, but sacrifices must be made. I'm improvising some exercises at home where I'm not on top of anyone.

Would like to see this... Do you have a link, etc.?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is still coming up 15 threads later. It is not an EU competency. They can only do as they have done and block travel into the EU. WHO don't agree with your categorisation of a mistake. It is more likely to be the other measures at work, social distancing etc. their research suggests.

WHO? Seriously? A body that denied human to human transmission was possible and only called it a pandemic after most countries were in deep sh*t. A bit of forewarning would have been helpful. WHO have done a lot of good things in the past but the way they have been played by the Chinese in all this is without doubt.

You cannot social distance infinitely.

As for it not being an EU competency, this is exactly why many people have a problem with the EU. Whenever there is a crisis, they sh*t their pants and are unable to act in time to prevent it escalating hugely. Next to no leadership on this.

Nice. I'm absolutely pining for my gym fwiw, but sacrifices must be made. I'm improvising some exercises at home where I'm not on top of anyone.

If we ban jogging now, we might as well ban it forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

WHO? Seriously? A body that denied human to human transmission was possible and only called it a pandemic after most countries were in deep sh*t. A bit of forewarning would have been helpful. WHO have done a lot of good things in the past but the way they have been played by the Chinese in all this is without doubt.

You cannot social distance infinitely.

As for it not being an EU competency, this is exactly why many people have a problem with the EU. Whenever there is a crisis, they sh*t their pants and are unable to act in time to prevent it escalating hugely. Next to no leadership on this.

I agree

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Singapore reports new daily record of 477 cases

Singapore has gone from 1600 cases to 3700 in just seven days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Strazdas wrote: »
    A PR stunt basically. There were already 1200 cases when he announced the travel ban and case numbers rapidly accelerated for the next 3-4 weeks.

Yeah these actions have repeatedly shown to be useless and are nothing more than grandiose political gestures designed to appeal to idiots who can't grasp details. Italy was the first to close Chinese flights in Europe and went on to be the worst affected for a long time. The US was quick to close down flights and is now the worst affected in the world.

The real, evidence based solutions recommended by experts and backed by data are far more important than jumping to simplistic solutions that achieve nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes, because the ability to jog will fade from our collective consciousness if we don't have at least some people keeping themselves familiar with both the sequence of movements and the enhanced balancing skills that are a prerequisite for correct jogging.

Blueshoe wrote: »

At least you're willing to admit you're entirely ideologically driven and don't give a **** about evidence, reality or getting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Well that is not extreme at all.
    Look, some things are reasonably obvious without the need for oodles of science as a back up.
    Things like the instinct to cover ones nose and mouth in a pandemic of respiratory disease.
    And things like breathing heavier while running, which is normal, creates a bigger slipstream in ones wake which would increase infectivity if one was asymptomatically carrying a viral load. It is elementary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Being overweight and obese are major risk factors for this pandemic in otherwise healthy people. That is now very clear.

The fact that people would think even about banning outdoor exercise during a pandemic which is a killer for the overweight shows the extreme fixation on the single factor of risk of outdoor transmission.

Mandatory exercise and fasting for people over a certain weight by order of the government would just as reasonable a response as the restrictions (and no more or less authoritarian imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-ecuador-guayaquil-bodies-streets-police-barcelona-a9462246.html?utm_source=reddit.com
    Almost 800 bodies collected from homes in the capital of Ecuador, 630 others were collected from hospitals, Ecuador's official death toll is just 370

The EU-skeptic fallacy. Insists that the EU dictates everything to us. Complains that the EU doesn't dictate everything to us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement