Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I believe the mods have also told people who want to discuss politics in-depth to do so on the politics forum, if not on this thread then one of the previous ones. Nobody wants to see tedious back-and-forth on world leaders and general politics when they are looking for information about covid-19. There is a dedicated forum to do so.

I'll be reporting any excessive political posts of any hue that I see. Maybe nothing will be done but maybe it will. I'll be doing that instead of staying out of the thread.

Discussion of Trump's nightly update is different.

what about discussion of trump's coronavirus response during daylight hours? will you report those posts or leave them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

If you were to lay that over the motorway network you'd see all roads lead back to Dublin. The epicentre that no one would isolate, well it's too late now with their 2km zone from home, that was needed on day one.

No you wouldn't. Loads of people from regional areas travelled to Cheltenham and back, etc

Having said that that map really shows why people are justifiably angry about people heading to second homes and so on, couple of areas look relatively untouched so far, or if not untouched then controllable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

froog wrote:
    what about discussion of trump's coronavirus response during daylight hours? will you report those posts or leave them off?
    They are allowed, that's been made very clear by the mods.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are allowed, that's been made very clear by the mods.

i know, i'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of the other poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

froog wrote: »
    it's been stated several times by people and mods that this is not an ireland specific coronavirus thread, it's the main thread on a global pandemic. and if criticism of trump upsets people they should stay out of this thread, particularly in the evening when his coronavirus press conference happens.

About 10% of the criticism of Trump is valid. About 90% is laughable and the same stuff is said night after night, ventilators, etc.

What do you want him to say, worst ventilators in the world? We're doing a terrible job?

Just look at how the Irish government try to hype up what they are doing - 15,000 tests daily, ventilators on the way, doing the right thing - per capita we are doing worse than the States.

You'd swear Trump was the first politician to exaggerate. It happens all the time.

Do the Chinese even bother with a daily press conference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, everyone has their own parameters and I have my own sense of when there are too many politics posts happening on the thread. Why do you have a problem with my objection? I'm not you and clearly our opinion differs. If I report posts and nothing happens, then I was wrong. If a mod instruction happens, I was right. What's the problem?

You seem to be taking this as me not liking Trump criticism in which case, LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Got it wrong.

The EU dictates the shape of bananas but is unable to dictate the closure of borders to save tens of thousands of lives or even unwilling to advise this. Instead they leave it to individual states, many of whom don't know what to do, and would prefer not to be seen as bad Europeans. Buck passing all around.

You understand it now? Probably not!

There's no point having ambitions at being a federal superstate if leadership is always lacking come big crises.

Christ it's bendy bananas now is it? No point trying to have a rational conversation with anyone who trots that line out.

About 10% of the criticism of Trump is valid. About 90% is laughable and the same stuff is said night after night, ventilators, etc.

What do you want him to say, worst ventilators in the world? We're doing a terrible job?

Just look at how the Irish government try to hype up what they are doing - 15,000 tests daily, ventilators on the way, doing the right thing - per capita we are doing worse than the States.

You'd swear Trump was the first politician to exaggerate. It happens all the time.

so you want criticism of trump that you personally don't deem as "valid" banned?

I believe the mods have also told people who want to discuss politics in-depth to do so on the politics forum, if not on this thread then one of the previous ones. Nobody wants to see tedious back-and-forth on world leaders and general politics when they are looking for information about covid-19. There is a dedicated forum to do so.

I'll be reporting any excessive political posts of any hue that I see. Maybe nothing will be done but maybe it will. I'll be doing that instead of staying out of the thread.

Discussion of Trump's nightly update is different.

I agree with with this statement in general.

But when the news came in overnight that the world's largest economy has decided to deliberately defund and hamper the frontline internationally recognised global organisation for identifying and combatting pandemics, that is pretty relevant.

Unfortunately a lot of moronic whatabouttery has followed that regarding China / the EU / various other governments which does tend to drag things pretty far off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Tony EH wrote: »
    Blaming the WHO for that is stupid.

As an organisation they may have made some missteps here and there at the beginning of this outbreak.
    But they're dealing with something that hasn't been seen in a century.
    We've had SARS and MERS in the last 20 years.
    We've also have a whole rake of Flus recently.
    The whole "hasn't happened in a century" excuse doesn't wash.
    The WHO have made mistakes and continue to make mistakes IMO.
    It's good that their leader and the Chinese government are bring called out on their behaviour.

• Advertisement

Well, everyone has their own parameters and I have my own sense of when there are too many politics posts happening on the thread. Why do you have a problem with my objection? I'm not you and clearly our opinion differs. If I report posts and nothing happens, then I was wrong. If a mod instruction happens, I was right. What's the problem?

You seem to be taking this as me not liking Trump criticism in which case, LOL.

you and a few other posters are spamming the thread now for the last few days with complaints about trump discussion, mainly having an issue only with criticism of him. it's laughable but now it's clogging up the thread and is getting annoying, especially since the Mods have posted on the matter several times and the direction is clear.

quokula wrote: »
    I agree with with this statement in general.

But when the news came in overnight that the world's largest economy has decided to deliberately defund and hamper the frontline internationally recognised global organisation for identifying and combatting pandemics, that is pretty relevant.

Unfortunately a lot of moronic whatabouttery has followed that regarding China / the EU / various other governments which does tend to drag things pretty far off topic.

That's the problem. That's exactly it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is China the level of truth you want from a leader? Great he tells people more than China does. That is damniation with faint praise if I ever heard it. I had hoped the US had loftier ambitions. Maybe a bit of honesty. We made mistakes but are looking to fix them instead of pretending everything is fine I am great, look over there, you can't blame me in the slightest if everyone else wasn't perfect stream of nonsense.

It's good that their leader and the Chinese government are bring called out on their behaviour.

SARS and MERS were nothing like this. Neither was the swine flu. I mean, everyone here has lived through those and knows the difference. I honestly don't know how you could pretend that they had anywhere near the same impact.

You know it's very easy to just move forward to the next post if you don't like one.
    In a supermarket buying apples do you take the first ones you come across or do you look through them to find the ones you like best? Or do you look for the manager and make a complaint that there are a lot of apple's that don't suit your taste?

quokula wrote: »
    Christ it's bendy bananas now is it? No point trying to have a rational conversation with anyone who trots that line out.

Bendy bananas is an example the man on the street understands hence why its often used.

We can use countless other examples.

The over-arching point is the EU get involved in many aspects of people's daily lives but when we need their leadership in a crisis its usually sorely lacking.

Their leadership in this crisis was also sorely lacking. They appear to have had no plan for a global pandemic for example. Is this the future? A superstate with weak indecisive leadership?

They can't act without evidence. With hindsight of course lots of things could have been done sooner. But they deal with viruses emerging all the time, like those you mention and many many others, and every time it is new and unknown, never with the same characteristics as this one, and there need to be evidence-based judgement calls made.

They could just jump to conclusions and assume the worst, but if they did that for the hundreds of other viruses they've identified and monitored over the years, they'd have been accused of spreading panic, lost all credibility, and people would just treat it as crying wolf and ignore the advice when this virus did come along.

They are our frontline defence for things like this - we don't know how many people could have been killed by the other viruses you mention without their work - and for a politician to try and cripple them in a time of crisis to deflect from his own domestic failings is utterly unforgivable.

you and a few other posters are spamming the thread now for the last few days with complaints about trump discussion, mainly having an issue only with criticism of him. it's laughable but now it's clogging up the thread and is getting annoying, especially since the Mods have posted on the matter several times and the direction is clear.

I most certainly have not. I did a little search. I have made a handful of comments about Trump today. The last time I mentioned him in a post before that was THREE WEEKS AGO. And in total, of my more than 5000 posts on this account, I have mentioned Trump in a grand total of 12 posts, all criticial of him that I know of. 12 (That might update to like, 15 or so after today). There is also possibly a few posts where I talk about him without mention but very few. I don't really discuss politics, hence my objection. You know what spamming entails, right? If you are going to throw out accusations, at least do your homework.

Is it possible that you are being a bit sensitive? And making baseless assumptions?

froog wrote:
    Will you ever get over yourself. If people want to defend Trump they have every right just as you do to complain about him.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is China the level of truth you want from a leader? Great he tells people more than China does. That is damniation with faint praise if I ever heard it. I had hoped the US had loftier ambitions. Maybe a bit of honesty. We made mistakes but are looking to fix them instead of pretending everything is fine I am great, look over there, you can't blame me in the slightest if everyone else wasn't perfect stream of nonsense.

99% of criticism of politicians on this thread is directed at Trump. Now if that's not distraction I don't know what is?

What about our plans for nursing homes here - non existent. A good starting point. I'm all for pulling on the green jersey but when our government screws up we need to call it out.

I really don't get the obsession with Trump. Very few of his decisions will affect us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What? WHO said that covid-19 couldn't be passed from human to human? When was this?

Was an answer ever given for this or can I take it that it was another lie?

Certainly worked in 1933

Some posters think it worked well for about twelve years, they are the types always on about protecting their kids etc but seem to be going crazy with them at home.

Bridge93 wrote: »

I know, I find it hard to believe that was said but I'm open-minded if somebody can provide evidence. I may start a-googling myself in a minute. It just doesn't seem likely that they would say that with certainty.

Bendy bananas is an example the man on the street understands hence why its often used.

The over-arching point is the EU get involved in many aspects of people's daily lives but when we need their leadership in a crisis its usually sorely lacking.

Their leadership in this crisis was also sorely lacking. They appear to have had no plan for a global pandemic for example. Is this the future? A superstate with weak indecisive leadership?

And what is the bendy bananas "issue" as the man on the street understands it?

Will you ever get over yourself. If people want to defend Trump they have every right just as you do to complain about him.

you've completely misread my post. defending trump is fine. calling for trump discussion to be banned from this thread is not and the mods have said as much several times so any further whining is just plain spam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

99% of criticism of politicians on this thread is directed at Trump. Now if that's not distraction I don't know what is?

What about our plans for nursing homes here - non existent. A good starting point. I'm all for pulling on the green jersey but when our government screws up we need to call it out.

I really don't get the obsession with Trump. Very few of his decisions will affect us.

Yes we do need to call them out on any mistakes they make. Except you were saying the criticism against Trump was invalid. Then we should make more of the fact that they are better than China. Then we should talk about Irish issues. So this discussion is all over the place. Surely you know getting into a debate over whether criticism is valid will lead people to join the debate. People will respond to your posts about Trump with posts about Trump.

Maybe if you want to discuss the Irish section then post about Irish issues?

You know it's very easy to just move forward to the next post if you don't like one.
    In a supermarket buying apples do you take the first ones you come across or do you look through them to find the ones you like best? Or do you look for the manager and make a complaint that there are a lot of apple's that don't suit your taste?

It's also easy to point out the problem. :) Look lads, I don't know what to tell ye. I'm going to draw attention to excessive political posts, probably via the post-reporting system. They may or may not be ignored. If they're ignored, they don't agree with me and you can rest easy. If they do agree with me, there's a lovely big forum to discuss politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

'We can use countless other examples.'

Three factually based examples,would assist your case.

Preferably not based on our anally retentive, control obsessed, permanent government's 'implementation' of EU directives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Quit the bickering and the backseat modding. If a mod has an issue with posts, we'll be sure to let you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

SARS and MERS were nothing like this. Neither was the swine flu. I mean, everyone here has lived through those and knows the difference. I honestly don't know how you could pretend that they had anywhere near the same impact.

Just really goes to show how some folk really have no clue, and are just firing out every buzz word they have ever known that has any possible connection.

Yip, as you say SARS infected less than 10,000 in total, of which I think about 10% died. It is a spectacular display of ignorance to even try to compare the two in terms of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Got it wrong.

The EU dictates the shape of bananas but is unable to dictate the closure of borders to save tens of thousands of lives or even unwilling to advise this. Instead they leave it to individual states, many of whom don't know what to do, and would prefer not to be seen as bad Europeans. Buck passing all around.

You understand it now? Probably not!

There's no point having ambitions at being a federal superstate if leadership is always lacking come big crises.

Are you refering to: Commission regulation 2257/94 which decrees that bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”. Those sold as “extra class” must be perfect, “class 1” can have “slight defects of shape” and “class 2” can have full-scale “defects of shape”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

SARS and MARS isn't anything like Covid-19. It never threatened us in the same way.

This is the absolute worst pandemic situation we've seen in a 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

They understand the bogie man is dictating, for god sake, the shape of their bananas and, jaysus shure, if he can do that what else is he going to do, and he won't bother his balli* to protect me from a pandemic, but wont let me have a bendy banana, ridiculous it is, reckon Soros involved their somehow too an' all, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italy new cases 2667 which is down on yesterday, deaths 578.

Cases on the decline while testing has increased, good signs for Italy. Total tested last 24hrs was 43,715.

RIP to all who have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

He is frantically looking up his back issues of the daily mail looking for the relevant articles. He is beginning to realise that the bendy banana issue was dreamed up by the UKIP types and has no basis in reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Italy new cases 2667 which is down on yesterday, deaths 578.

Cases on the decline while testing has increased, good signs for Italy. Total tested last 24hrs was 43,715.

RIP to all who have passed.

Good news. Kill off this bastard virus and let us live again .
    Investigate China and sanction the bejaysus out of them. Completely destroy their economy as punishment for unleashing the virus.
    The west is global leader and must also be judge,jury and executioner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How come they no longer announce the press conference time?

Because dweebs were kvetching when it didn't happen at exactly the stated time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I know, I find it hard to believe that was said but I'm open-minded if somebody can provide evidence. I may start a-googling myself in a minute. It just doesn't seem likely that they would say that with certainty.

The only thing I'm aware of so far is that the WHO tweeted that China had yet to find any clear evidence of human to human transmission in early January.

They NEVER stated, themselves, that it couldn't do so.

People need to be very careful of what is going to be spread around about the WHO now, in the wake of Trump's actions and bullshit. His shills will be tossing off lies and misinformation left, right and centre to prop him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Investigate China and sanction the bejaysus out of them. Completely destroy their economy as punishment for unleashing the virus.

Only so many people left to die, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

Completely destroy their economy as punishment for unleashing the virus.

You have a mature way of looking at things, really admirable.

Big Things ahead for you I'd say when Mammy let's you out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The fact that the EU imposed a 30 day travel ban on outsiders as the virus was already ravaging Italy and Spain would be comical if it weren't so tragic. In defense of other European countries, however, at least they belatedly put their peoples' welfare first and have now closed their borders. So we're now in the charming situation of being one of the few countries in the EU that let's anyone walk in willy-nilly. I suspect this will become an increasingly treacherous situation over the summer as long-suffering continentals think of heading away for a few days----with Ryanair and Failte being only be too happy to assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is the absolute worst pandemic situation we've seen in a 100 years.

You don't know what you're talking about.

There have been 1-2 millions of deaths from minor 20th century pandemics such as the 1957-58 pandemic.

So far covid-19 has claimed 127,000 lives.

Only projections of fears and assumptions make covid comparable to the Spanish Flu which killed fifty million.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The only thing I'm aware of so far is that the WHO tweeted that China had yet to find any clear evidence of human to human transmission in early January.

They NEVER stated, themselves, that it couldn't do so.

People need to be very careful of what is going to be spread around about the WHO now, in the wake of Trump's actions and bullshit. His shills will be tossing off lies and misinformation left, right and centre to prop him up.

That seems much more likely.

Honestly, the misinformation is head-wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If the west are so great, why do they rely so much on the East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

To keep you perpetually guessing. It’s a general theme of this whole crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Great post.

You're pissing against the wind, unfortunately, appealing to some people's common sense around issues involving Trump.

Hatred is always likely to bring out irrational responses from people. Even people who are not normally predisposed to such irrationality. Trump just seems to be like a red rag to a bull with many people.

I've never understood the insane level of hatred for him personally. Especially when you consider what other world leaders are doing (or not doing). Has anyone heard a peep out of any of the Chinese leaders, since they unleashed this deadly virus on the world, as an example?

You'd swear Trump created this virus himself, the way some people attack him! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

657 new Irish cases, 411 german. 38 deaths RIP. Slight increase in cases today, similar enough growth rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement