Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone else getting fed up with the daily updates now? Covid fatigue really kicking in for me...

Holohan must have a right pain in his bollix with it..

I just watch the RTE news, they give a quick update, and move on... usually to other covid related news

Anyone else getting fed up with the daily updates now? Covid fatigue really kicking in for me...

Tune out if the reality of the situation isn't palatable for you. Tony deserves immense credit so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Completely agree, the man is so utterly inept and ineffectual in the role, it's a waste of time. Bypass him. Ignore his daily press comedy routine and get on with real business instead of his reality TV sideshow.

Unfortunately, he can't just be ignored when his actions are making things worse and not better. If he was some tin pot clown in some insignificant backwater, it would be fine to so. But, alas, he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do these journalists not read the news themselves? We had this yesterday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

These journalists are the worst. The question about the 100 tests was answered yesterday and it's being asked again and the journalist is still referring to it as a false negative when it wasn't. Fúcks sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Tony shut him down fairly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Tony EH wrote: »
    Unfortunately, he can't just be ignored when his actions are making things worse and not better. If he was some tin pot clown in some insignificant backwater, it would be fine to so. But, alas, he's not.

As things stand he is still minister of health. New government format is close though.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

I didn't see him offering his customary condolences today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The flu FFS - what's that got to do with anything right now
    It's like they try and come up with the dumbest questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think yesterday Simon Harris said 77 so far recovered left ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

These journalists are the worst. The question about the 100 tests was answered yesterday and it's being asked again and the journalist is still referring to it as a false negative when it wasn't. Fúcks sake.

I know. Its repetitive..
    False negatives are a legitimate question. But not those indeterminate results that were incorrectly reported back to the individual, and explained yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can any nurses/doctors please explain why the uptake of the annual flu shot has been poor in your professions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If its taking 7 to 10 days to show sythoms....we should in theory,now have nearly only cases spread in houses??

Why is it still going up?

Have you been outside?

I went shopping today and never saw Lidl so busy at 12pm on a Wednesday. There were loads of people out walking, little to no social distancing being adhered to.

I saw two people total wearing masks. Numerous older women (75+) without masks interacting with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They ask the same f*cking questions every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I thought we were at the peak last week from reading comments, are we sure that it's now, like it can't be next week or the week after, or the month after that?

Was it not the whole point of social distancing to not peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Can any nurses/doctors please explain why the uptake of the annual flu shot has been poor in your professions?

Why would you assume that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Another question about specifics on easing restrictions. It's been said countless fecking times, the decision isn't made and when it is they'll announce it. This is basic shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Jesus Christ, it's 3 weeks before restrictions change, why do some of the journalists insist on repeating the same questions over and over about the lifting of them.

Are any of them f**king listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Increases in cases will produce an increase in deaths... statistically speaking.

Whether they came from an Irish lab or a German lab, or there is a backlog... or the tests are 2 weeks old... statistically none of that is really important. More cases will produce more deaths. And that is exactly what we're witnessing.

Not entirely,
    The German tests are historical means that the majority are lower priority and milder cases. If some of those have since become serious cases they would have been added to the higher priority test list or god forbid had infection confirmed post mortem.

On the 11th they started adding the German cases
    April 10th - 287 deaths 7054 cases = 4%
    Today - 444 deaths 12547 (incl German) = 3.5%

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Why would you assume that?

Because I read the HSE's own reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

In terms or spread RATE and mortality RATE, Covid-19 has been worse than the 57-58 flu. This may get better as we tackle the virus and we might not see deaths in the millions. Hopefully that's the case.

The mortality rate is unknown, it is only projections which put it in worst-pandemic territory, and the predictions of millions of deaths from the models by Fauci and the ICL have been revised downwards to tens of thousands.

60,000 deaths in the US is Fauci's upper estimate. That's less than a particularly bad flu season (68,000 dead in one year).

Let me just repeat that, and try to let it sink in for a moment:

Dr. Anthony Fauci is predicting that covid-19 in the US will be less deadly than a harsh flu season.

Fauci: US death toll 'looks more like 60,000' than 100-200K estimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

fritzelly wrote: »
    The flu FFS - what's that got to do with anything right now
    It's like they try and come up with the dumbest questions

There's a conspiracy theory going around for ages that because there was a bad flu in October it was really covid 19 and we didn't spot it.

The journalist was trying to ask that without saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Wrong trend

Call me Al wrote: »
    I know. Its repetitive..
    False negatives are a legitimate question. But not those indeterminate results that were incorrectly reported back to the individual, and explained yesterday.

Someone else will probably ask about it again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm now looking at RTÉ.ie at 6pm to see the daily update and I'm not sitting and watching the briefings. Not because I don't think they don't have important information, but it's the repetitiveness of the questions. Provided they are answered correctly once they shouldn't need to be asked again and again. I also turn off George lee whenever I might see him. He's the guy when the numbers from Germany were finally included he tweeted in part "oh brilliant!" which nobody should be saying in relation to this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm seeing these posts every day for the last three weeks.

We don't have to wait for a vaccine to get back to normal. We need a medicine that prevents the symptoms from getting out of hand. A vaccine will take until mid to late 2021 at the earliest, a medicine could be available by June.

That may be so but there will still be new cases regardless even with that theoretical medicine, which is what the poster was asking. Hopefully it will be an acceptable level of cases/deaths a la the flu.

There will always be a peak but they want to make sure it is as low and as long as possible so that the system doesn't collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's a conspiracy theory going around for ages that because there was a bad flu in October it was really covid 19 and we didn't spot it.

No, it was all about the flu season coming back in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No the point of social distancing is to help flatten the curve,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just wondering how it is relevent to Covid19?

• Advertisement

No he wasn't. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

growleaves wrote: »
    The mortality rate is unknown, it is only projections which put it in worst-pandemic territory, and the predictions of millions of deaths from the models by Fauci and the ICL have been revised downwards to tens of thousands.

60,000 deaths in the US is Fauci's upper estimate. That's less than a particularly bad flu season (68,000 dead in one year).

Dr. Anthony Fauci is predicting that covid-19 in the US will be less deadly than a harsh flu season.

Minimise it all you want and, hopefully, you're correct and it'll all be grand.

khalessi wrote: »
    Just wondering how it is relevent to Covid19?

the press briefing was just discussing the next flu season and the need to make sure the uptake of the vaccine is much better than last season including front line workers.

The CMO also hinted at it and he expects far more to get flu jabs next winter as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Both statements can be true.

They are literally contradictory ideals, you cannot peddle both of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know some of my friends and families do not get it anymore as they felt they got worse sick after they got it so maybe why low intake of getting the yearly seasonal winter flu jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

In all likelihood the US is already at 60k covid deaths...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Tune out if the reality of the situation isn't palatable for you. Tony deserves immense credit so far.

He also deserves a fair amount of criticism too, for his inept handling of many aspects of this crisis.

The fact we are only NOW coming up with some kind of concrete plan to protect the nursing / care homes to limit spread, is unbelievable really. Especially when we were warned by the Italians well in advance, about this thing hitting their nursing homes hard - and then out into the surrounding community too!

More than half our total deaths are from nursing & care homes. Yet we did very little to protect them. It's criminal how slow we've been to react to this and other aspects. We're just nowhere near proactive enough. It has cost us so many lives! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/GavinColl/status/1250478497925128195

Don't forget we also have the Easter Bank Holiday premium for all those who bent the rules to come through in the next couple of weeks as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In terms or spread RATE and mortality RATE, Covid-19 has been worse than the 57-58 flu. This may get better as we tackle the virus and we might not see deaths in the millions. Hopefully that's the case.

However, as an example, in the course of over 2 years H2N2 killed just under 30,000 people in Britain. In the three months since Covid-19 hit UK shores, it has killed nearly 13,000.

Your mistake is that you're simply looking at the final death toll of something that was in effect in one form or another for years and failing to take into account other contexts.

We may turn a corner and get this thing under control in the next few months and minimise its effects and if that's the case, we can all be thankful. But right now, it's being rightfully compared to the pandemic that occurred at the end of WWI, because not taking it that seriously is a bad idea indeed.

Also, all of those 13,000 deaths were inside a 5 week period. Britain had a small number of cases 3 months ago , but there was no epidemic . The 13k figure also does not take into account deaths at home or nursing homes, which will increase that total by 20-40%

This is definitely not the Spanish flu, but there is absolutely nothing comparable to it since the Spanish flu

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Scary how closely we’re following Spain’s trend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

But that number will only be achieved because of the unprecedented lockdown. What would the figure be without a lockdown?

What point are you even trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Fair play to ze German for helping us out. They really have their **** together regarding this whole thing. It will probably be them who develop the vaccine too. A lot to be learned from them about how to run a country properly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Traveller funerals are now an issue, 150 people at one funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

The huge worldwide reaction to this pandemic stemmed from taking the models of Dr. Fauci and Dr. Ferguson (of Imperial College London) as normative.

So if Dr. Fauci is now revising his figures downwards - what does that tell us?

Is he minimising the concerns that he himself raised ?

I get that people don't want to gamble lives away but its seriously time to wise up. The medical experts who predicted that this would be a deadly catastrophe of once-in-a-century significance have already walked back those predictions and revised their models downwards. All that's left of those initial predictions are the emotional investment that people have in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

marno21 wrote: »
    Tony H said there that there has been an increase in testing. That's some of the reason behind the increased cases.

Those who are concerned about the death rate increasing, please take the time to research the lag between infection, onset of symptoms and death. It has been repeated many times on this thread.
    Why should that assuage their concerns? That just means with the increased number of confirmed cases, the number of deaths will also rise significantly in coming days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

paddythere wrote: »
    Fair play to ze German for helping us out. They really have their **** together regarding this whole thing. It will probably be them who develop the vaccine too. A lot to be learned from them about how to run a country properly

absolutely bailing out the banana republic here again as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The huge worldwide reaction to this pandemic stemmed from taking the models of Dr. Fauci and Dr. Ferguson (of Imperial College London) as normative.

I get that people don't want to gamble lives away but its seriously time to wise up. The medical experts who predicted that this would be a deadly catastrophe of once-in-a-century significance have already walked back those predictions and revised their models downwards. All that's left of those initial predictions are the emotional investment that people have in them.

Do you know that 0.11% of the population of Lombardy has already died from this virus inside the last month? And that figure is excluding the unknown thousands of deaths in nursing homes and at home.The revised upper estimate of death toll for the USA is because of the lockdown curbing the death toll, not because the virus was found to be less dangerous than initially thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem with your analysis is when you remove counter measures such as the mitigation policies.

It's had an enormous impact on restricting and delaying spread and Fauci stresses at every opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement