Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

iguana wrote: »
    Antibody testing is quite reliable if done in a laboratory setting. It's just time consuming. It's the 15 minute finger prick tests that aren't reliable enough.

5,000,000 antibody tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Where are you going to get 5,000,000 reliable antibody tests?

We don't even have to leave the country to get them:https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/coronavirus-testing-kit-ireland-assay-genie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Air quality is very bad today.
    509136.jpg
    509135.jpg

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I just watched Ryan Tubridy speil last night. One question stands out to me how on earth did he get a test. He seemed to make out that he had only one symptom which was a cough?

They a rake of em.in rte got it at a function

Him showing sythoms and contact tracing likely reason id say

Danno wrote: »

That's from three weeks ago. This is from two days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Wombatman wrote: »

That wouldn't be information Tony would have knowledge of.
    Colm Henry was asked one of the days about a rumour that swabs were being discarded and he said it was completely untrue.

"Specimens that can be delivered promptly to the laboratory can be stored and
    shipped at 2-8°C. When there is likely to be a delay in specimens reaching the laboratory, the use of viral transport medium is strongly recommended. Specimens may be frozen to - 20°C or ideally -70°C and shipped on dry ice if further delays are expected".

Nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal swabs
    2-8 °C 2-8 °C if ≤5 days
    –70 °C (dry ice) if >5 days

From: WHO Laboratory testing for coronavirus disease (‎‎COVID-19)‎‎ in suspected human cases: interim guidance, 19 March 2020

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And yet everyone else have to have two symptoms.

No, not two symptoms. Two or either a cough, temperature and shortness of breath. And a very particular underlying condition or be a close contact with a confirmed case. I had/have two of the symptoms and was waiting on a test but taken off the list when the criteria changed because I am otherwise healthy and don't have a close confirmed contact. (Though it does turn out that I may be part of a cluster as a number of people I was in contact with in early March all started displaying symptoms at roughly the same time. But as none of us could be tested, none of us could qualify for a test.)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

s1ippy wrote: »
    Jumping on the thanks bandwagon there with zero actual valid criticism. I'm genuinely looking for any constructive feedback as I know boards is full of people who think work is the only reason to live and just fuppin love Fine Gael because they hate the poor and I want some indication that its not just because of that.

Is it because I assert that Leo hates the poor? I thought that was a well-established narrative by now. He likes people who get out of bed early, dobb their neighbours in for claiming single parent when they live together and makes up stories about people who asked to be fired to receive the €350 payment, when that story was both unfounded and an indictment of this country's pay and conditions for workers.

He refers to himself as "president" and "prime minister" because he's ashamed of the actual culture we have here and he's happy to lick the boot in Europe until the leather starts to degrade.

Pal, im in total agreement with everything you have written. You are spot on in relation to pointing out how people in general prefer to keep their heads buried in the sand instead of looking at how Leo etc are dealing with this. People imo, in general just want an easy life and dont want to rock the boat for fear that theyll be ridiculed. That is one of the reasons we are spiralling into some sort of police state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭denismc

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I just watched Ryan Tubridy speil last night. One question stands out to me how on earth did he get a test. He seemed to make out that he had only one symptom which was a cough?
    He may have been in close contact with a confirmed case like Idris Elba and Claire Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

He was considered one of their top finance ministers, responsible for the hesse state which is where Frankfurt - germany's financial capital - is located.

He was being tipped to take over from another minister higher up in government.

Thanks for clarifying that it wasn't the German finance minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Italy's patient 1 from Codogno spoke publicly for the first time.
    A previously healthy and fit 38 year old, was in ICU for weeks.
    He lost his father to the virus, his wife also got the virus and recovered and recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl.

coronavirus-paziente-1-mattia-grave-perche-638x425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That's from three weeks ago. This is from two days ago.
    Different company though. Yes the tests need to be better than 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you know that call to arms a while ago? is there anything more self absorbed and greedy that you can remember? (i suppose once we're fine, its grand).

how understaffed would our health service be if everyone answered the call and headed home? anyone any idea what % is non-national (i think they were calling back irish nationals).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Wibbs wrote: »
    Those "reports" were bogus at best with zero background of the people involved, even the timing. Before the coronavirus if you were to look at a city like Wuhan with what 11 million people? You will have had thousands of heart attacks and deaths every day from all sorts of causes, natural and unnatural. Now add in that everybody has a smart phone with a camera attached to witness people collapsing on the street from god knows what. All those "reports" can tell you is that someone collapsed on the street at some time or other. Could have been a heart attack from the usual reasons, could have been a fit, could have been drunkeness, could have been a fall and a crack on the head, etc.
    agreed or could have been a virus including some influenzas or sars covid2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No, not two symptoms. Two or either a cough, temperature and shortness of breath. And a very particular underlying condition or be a close contact with a confirmed case. I had/have two of the symptoms and was waiting on a test but taken off the list when the criteria changed because I am otherwise healthy and don't have a close confirmed contact. (Though it does turn out that I may be part of a cluster as a number of people I was in contact with in early March all started displaying symptoms at roughly the same time. But as none of us could be tested, none of us could qualify for a test.)

How will we ever get on top of this if this is the type of testing that is in our country? It's scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

An article from yesterday in LA times that summarises links to various early studies on longer term effects in body for survivors. Both those with severe symptoms and those with mild. Covers possible impaired liver function, effects on heart, kidneys, blood system, possibility of dormancy or latency, clots, fibrosis of lungs, autoimmune responses, etc. There are no long term survivors yet as it is too new a disease. These are all early speculations/ research.

Thats a terrifying article, it trully is. We can only hope its only portraying a very improbable worsr case scenario synopsis.

Different company though. Yes the tests need to be better than 70%.

95% accuracy to be of any use. From the article:

Martin Hibberd, a professor of emerging infectious disease at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said finger-prick antibody tests were rarely reliable and encouraged the government to focus instead on lab-based tests.

“We need a centralised pathology lab antibody test. The government has bought these home tests but they are traditionally very poor in terms of sensitivity and specificity. Expecting those to perform exceptionally well is unlikely in my estimate because they don’t perform particularly well for any virus,” Hibberd said.

“What use is home testing going to be? What are you going to do when someone at home decides they can see a band on a strip and they go out and say I’m free, I can do what I like? I think they should drop it,” he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Something is going to have to be done about the jogger situation in Dublin. I understand people must exercise but as these selfish people refuse to give way on footpaths and insist on imposing themselves on people out walking by sweating and breathing heavy as they pass us maybe they could have alloted time slots for running such as 8am to 9am and 9pm to 10pm or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

That wouldn't be information Tony would have knowledge of.
    Colm Henry was asked one of the days about a rumour that swabs were being discarded and he said it was completely untrue.

"Specimens that can be delivered promptly to the laboratory can be stored and
    shipped at 2-8°C. When there is likely to be a delay in specimens reaching the laboratory, the use of viral transport medium is strongly recommended. Specimens may be frozen to - 20°C or ideally -70°C and shipped on dry ice if further delays are expected".

Nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal swabs
    2-8 °C 2-8 °C if ≤5 days
    –70 °C (dry ice) if >5 days

From: WHO Laboratory testing for coronavirus disease (‎‎COVID-19)‎‎ in suspected human cases: interim guidance, 19 March 2020

Can be....

May be....

It gives the impression this is what is being done doesn't it.

This is typical of the type of responses we a getting.

Just give us the straight numbers and facts. Not what it could be or what it might be. Just tell us what it is.

Google Irelands lab test capacity. Plenty of information on what we plan to ramp up to in days, or weeks. Very little detail on the actual daily throughput.

Anyone know what proportion of tests completed are retests on existing patients for discharge or go back to work purposes?

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Something is going to have to be done about the jogger situation in Dublin. I understand people must exercise but as these selfish people refuse to give way on footpaths and insist on imposing themselves on people out walking by sweating and breathing heavy as they pass us maybe they could have alloted time slots for running such as 8am to 9am and 9pm to 10pm or similar.

Start coughing as they approach. If that doesn't work, a slap of a hurley into the groin gives pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I live in Wexford on a country road with loads of holiday homes over the length of it. It's a dead end. I'm used to seeing the seven or eight local cars that I see during the winter months. The road is now summer busy with D registered cars. There are many summer houses occupied.

People aren't taking this seriously enough. The "request" to stay at home seems to have been widely ignored. The powers given to the Gardaí look to be a waste of time.

Just a view from one small part of Ireland, but I would bet it's no different in holiday areas across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

99 year old survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

We (Irish Authorities) now have three weeks until May 5th to do something about this virus, here is what should be done IMHO:

This operation would require that we get up to 100,000 antibody tests done a day. With ~50 centres this would require a throughput of 2,000 people each day. Manageable?
    No, not manageable, at all.

I don't think you understand the complexity of testing, how long it takes and how much it would cost to perform over 4 million assays in a few weeks with limited laboratory capacity, who are busy enough carrying out routine work, let alone testing the entire population.
    A pilot program that has no standing.
    Looking at a colour on a little test strip does not tell you the quantify of antibodies present, if at all.

Testing someone in the middle of current infection, sufficient time hasn't passed to develop antibodies.
    Wait too late after infection and antibodies may have subsided to below a detectable limit.

Viral antibodies are analysed as titres to determine a positive or negative result.

Using the MMR as an example. We get it along with boosters as children. Titres are checked if you work in healthcare or as part of an antenatal screen. If sufficient immunity is not present, the person may need a booster.

What kind of information will a coloured strip give you. If you do get a positive result, it would have to be confirmed by laboratory analysis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Different rulebook for the runner, is there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I live in Wexford on a country road with loads of holiday homes over the length of it. It's a dead end. I'm used to seeing the seven or eight local cars that I see during the winter months. The road is now summer busy with D registered cars. There are many summer houses occupied.

People aren't taking this seriously enough. The "request" to stay at home seems to have been widely ignored. The powers given to the Gardaí look to be a waste of time.

Just a view from one small part of Ireland, but I would bet it's no different in holiday areas across the country.

With all this sh!t, I don't care anymore if people want to go out and catch it, they're asking for it. But the way how this thing spreads, how do people not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

All cars should be clamped and clampers head off for the weekend and leave them there. We need to stop playing mr nice guy with these selfish idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Thats a terrifying article, it trully is. We can only hope its only portraying a very improbable worsr case scenario synopsis.

My objective was not to terrify, it was to pass on information. You can read subsequently to my post the challenges made to the relevance of the information which are valid.

For some reason the aftermath of infection, mild and severe infections, has been on my radar since almost as soon as I heard rumblings of this thing in January. Early on there were a few reports going round about possible damage to kidneys, testes, heart etc. There is not so much now, probably because of the absolute volume of other news on it, so it is more hidden. That damage could have been as a result of aggressive treatment which would be toxic for the body. The ground glass fibrosis is not mentioned much anymore either, I remember being struck by a NY ICU doctor saying people hospitalised for other issues and who had no covid symptoms had scans which showed their lungs affected.

I was not trying to be scary, there is no point in being scared. I am not personally scared, will take my chances, though I am very careful not to infect anyone else. But I will probably also maintain some acute levels of radar for these studies and reports because small and all as they are, and too soon and all as it is, that will be a big part of the story of this disease in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fran38 wrote: »
    Pal, im in total agreement with everything you have written. You are spot on in relation to pointing out how people in general prefer to keep their heads buried in the sand instead of looking at how Leo etc are dealing with this. People imo, in general just want an easy life and dont want to rock the boat for fear that theyll be ridiculed. That is one of the reasons we are spiralling into some sort of police state.

I agree Leo showed poor leadership in the early days and even now leaving our borders open except for freight and humanitarian reasons but we are not going into a police state. The restrictions are in place to slow down the spread of what is a new virus. There's still so much unknowns about the virus. The spread of the virus has to slow down to allow medical and science professionals to get a better grasp of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Antibody testing is quite reliable if done in a laboratory setting. It's just time consuming. It's the 15 minute finger prick tests that aren't reliable enough.

Reliable Lab based serology test on something like a Elecsys 801 only takes about 18 minutes. Of course you have to collect the sample and centrifuge, in theory you could have a result within 45 mins if pushed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement