Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

The US is at 28,000 deaths since the beginning of March so what do you reckon about that 60,000 projection you mention?

That it may still be correct, though of course I don't claim to know that it is.
    and it varies drastically mostly far lower than that

Which is why I've consistently used phrases like 'harsh flu season', 'bad flu year'.
    So you are not comparing like with like.

There are no exact comparisons in medical statistics. I'm only mentioning it to provide context. If Fauci's prediction of 60,000 were correct than covid is as bad as a very bad flu year.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

They should make all dubs wear face masks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

Still cannot get my head around these stats - what are the Israelis doing that Deaths per 1 Million population = just 16% of ours.
    death-per-1-M-ireland-versus-israel.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What is the situation with your privates hospitals over there. Have they been temporarily nationalised?

Not nationalised but private hospitals have given their beds over to the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Put wall up around it, ffs.

Keep the turf munching, baby eating savages from ever entering the promise land again.

Some of us chose that on our own free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Still cannot get my head around these stats - what are the Israelis doing that Deaths per 1 Million population = just 16% of ours.

Not as fat, smoke less, drink less? Healthier? Younger? Less pollution? Less chronic illness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Some of us chose that on our own free will.

Ha. Theres only one way to be certain, but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Not as fat, smoke less, drink less? Healthier? Younger? Less pollution? Less chronic illness?

Different reporting parameters?

Definitely a younger population. Mandatory army service may mitigate against obesity, which is a huge chronic risk factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This might sound stupid but could genetics play a part in a certain country having less deaths? Are some people genetically more resistant to the virus?

I know access to medical treatment is a huge factor in limiting the number of deaths but there are probably other factors too. Maybe Israel are doing a better job of shielding the most vulnerable so it could be stronger people catching it and therefore more likely to survive.

• Advertisement

Better weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Having a much warmer climate. Guessing they're testing much more extensively so their case total figure is a much closer approximation of reality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭jackboy

Wow, that is some article in the examiner stating that the HSE are giving false figures for positive cases. Information coming from a whistleblower nurse. I would expect the examiner to be pretty sure about their sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How can a 23 year old die of it can they not resuscitate him and put on life support or something, Jesus. RIP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report, I have included the total numbers reported today
    I have added the number died in the chart in yellow
    recent cases growth
    12-4-2020 4.8%
    13-4-2020 5.46%
    14-4-2020 5.15%
    15-4-2020 5.55%

No Change in number
    509706.PNG

Slow Change
    509707.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    509708.PNG

if we only grow at the rate of 7.8% this day next month we would have 4,000 deaths
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late

I think this site is one of the best as it allows you to change and check the visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/
    numbers on this site are a day old won't be updated till around midnight for ireland

Deaths by country
    509709.PNG

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Obesity seems to be emerging as a major factor in the outcome of covid-19 cases. It seems a large majority of patients administered to intensive care have obesity as an underlying condition.

If this is the case, it will be useful going forward in assessing who is at risk from a severe dose of covid-19. Obesity must rank up there as being one of the easiest underlying conditions to diagnose and not an underlying condition that the patient could be unaware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Of course but there is a lot of space, a lot of uninfected hosts in the world for this to run rampant.

The US is at 28,000 deaths since the beginning of March so what do you reckon about that 60,000 projection you mention?

Then you mentioned 68,000 flu deaths. Let's leave aside the fact coronavirus is in addition to the flu, it is not influenza...and secondly the highest number of flu deaths in the US was circa 61,000 in the 17/18 season and it varies drastically mostly far lower than that.

So you are not comparing like with like.

The erroneous comparisons between flu and COVID need to stop, it is such a tiresome discussion at this stage.
    Comparing total global influenza death tolls are just not valid because widespread community transmission has only become a recent phenomenon outside China in the last 6 or so weeks. And there is still no epidemics present within much of the planet despite it being a pandemic, unlike flu which operates throughout the globe.
    Obersvations of the monthly mortality rates within areas of the world where there are noteable outbreaks give a much clearer picture of the effects this virus has compard to influenza.
    NewYorkStateDeathsFluCovid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

How odd. Are all people 'middle class' (what does that even mean?) 'Goons', or would they be 'goons' if they weren't in that arbitrary class definition but still on the beach?

And if they live within 2km of a beach, why would they NOT be there getting their governments suggested exercise?

Firstly. Large public gatherings are banned. I would class this as such.
    Secondly that was entirely my point. We can’t be painting an entire group of people with the same brush now, can we?.
    This site is full of it and I’m surprised it took so long for that bias to emerge tbh.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/the-numbers-are-being-fudged-says-nurse-who-brands-testing-regime-an-omnishambles-994236.html

the-numbers-are-being-fudged-says-nurse-who-brands-testing-regime-an-omnishambles
    interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They probably kept it out of nursing and residential homes while cocooning their elderly. 2 things we have utterly failed to do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

How can a 23 year old die of it can they not resuscitate him and put on life support or something, Jesus. RIP.

I don't know about Ireland but in the UK, when someone dies with this, they are not allowed to do the cpr in case the virus spits up into their faces.. Something like that anyways. When someone goes, that's it, they are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

growleaves wrote: »
    That it may still be correct, though of course I don't claim to know that it is.

Which is why I've consistently used phrases like 'harsh flu season', 'bad flu year'.

There are no exact comparisons in medical statistics. I'm only mentioning it to provide context. If Fauci's prediction of 60,000 were correct than covid is as bad as a very bad flu year.

But they will have had to shut the country down just to try and keep the death rate to that of their very worst flu season totals.

Do people who post this crap not notice that giant fcuking elephant in that comparison!??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Perhaps they’ve kept it out of nursing homes, or maybe they don’t report deaths outside hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't know about Ireland but in the UK, when someone dies with this, they are not allowed to do the cpr in case the virus spits up into their faces.. Something like that anyways. When someone goes, that's it, they are gone.

Horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://obesity.procon.org/global-obesity-levels/

Israel ranks higher than Ireland re obesity. What is really odd is how high NZ ranks and yet they do okay re covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

jackboy wrote: »
    Wow, that is some article in the examiner stating that the HSE are giving false figures for positive cases. Information coming from a whistleblower nurse. I would expect the examiner to be pretty sure about their sources.

Theres not a whole lot of substance to the article really, she says the German numbers have already been seen in hospitals, which literally everyone said might be the case, if someone was waiting for a result and got worse then they'd be in hosptial. Article also says testing needs to be sorted for any restrictions to be eased, that's also been said time and time again at the press conferences.

I know for a fact that the numbers in 2 of dublins major hospitals are what they're being stated as, given I've 2 family members working in them and they've said all along numbers are manageable at the moment.

Now maybe in the hosptial this women works in theres more cases but if hospitals were extremely overrun in general people would know about it.

All the same best of luck to her and her colleagues, hopefully we dont see huge numbers falling ill like in Cavan hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Am i right in saying that the confirmed cases make up around 0.3% of the worlds population?

But they will have had to shut the country down just to try and keep the death rate to that of their very worst flu season totals.

Do people who post this crap not notice that giant fcuking elephant in that comparison!??

This point has already been made to me about 20 times. Since I want people to get it, I don't mind repeating my response.

The efficacy of the lockdown is unproven and unknown. It has no scientific basis. The death tolls from states that didn't lock down is not significantly different from those that did, sometimes its much lower.

We're already hearing a raft of excuses: Social distancing is Swedish culture. Sweden is only comparable to other Nordic countries. Sweden are fudging their deaths. Taiwan and Belarus aren't comparable to Western Europe.

All the above excuses are ones I've heard today on boards. The fact that we're now deep into excuse-making territory makes me think this just might not be the next Black Death after all.

marno21 wrote: »
    Obesity seems to be emerging as a major factor in the outcome of covid-19 cases. It seems a large majority of patients administered to intensive care have obesity as an underlying condition.

If this is the case, it will be useful going forward in assessing who is at risk from a severe dose of covid-19. Obesity must rank up there as being one of the easiest underlying conditions to diagnose and not an underlying condition that the patient could be unaware of.

The obesity factor, smoking factor, and lack of social distancing would put the Traveller community at the top of the list to be hit hard by this virus. Will be interesting to hear it explained why they haven't been hit. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Finland have removed any restrictions on internal travel. No checkpoints & no questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://obesity.procon.org/global-obesity-levels/

Israel ranks higher than Ireland re obesity. What is really odd is how high NZ ranks and yet they do okay re covid.

Has obesity been proven to be a major contributing factor in deaths?
    Sorry if this has already been answered, its just not an area I've looked at during this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Warmer climate? Better military lockdown? People being literally dragged off the street? Less porus border control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People in Dublin are out and about, including in my neighborhood, I don't see how the restrictions can be more relaxed than this
    Today another 1k new cases, it's not a good sign

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    People in Dublin are out and about, including in my neighborhood, I don't see how the restrictions can be more relaxed than this

Why? We know that this was projected as the peak. Relax. It was expected.

In another 3 weeks this will have come down.

I have been out and about too as have most of the people i know. Its about social distancing etc.

Am i right in saying that the confirmed cases make up around 0.3% of the worlds population?

0.3% of 8 billion is 24 million

2 million infections is about 0.025% of the world pop

Mic 1972 wrote: »

If everyone in Dublin went out for their alloxated 2km excerise at the same time the streets would be packed.
    It's obviously a different scenario than a village in County Clare. Making more specific restrictions on those living in large cities makes logical sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The obesity factor, smoking factor, and lack of social distancing would put the Traveller community at the top of the list to be hit hard by this virus. Will be interesting to hear it explained why they haven't been hit. Not yet anyway.

They aren't social distancing down my way either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

This point has already been made to me about 20 times. Since I want people to get it, I don't mind repeating my response.

The efficacy of the lockdown is unproven and unknown. It has no scientific basis. The death tolls from states that didn't lock down is not significantly different from those that did, sometimes its much lower.

We're already hearing a raft of excuses: Social distancing is Swedish culture. Sweden is only comparable to other Nordic countries. Sweden are fudging their deaths. Taiwan and Belarus aren't comparable to Western Europe.

All the above excuses are ones I've heard today on boards. The fact that we're now deep into excuse-making territory makes me think this just might not be the next Black Death after all.

You sound like a vegan now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Has obesity been proven to be a major contributing factor in deaths?
    Sorry if this has already been answered, its just not an area I've looked at during this.

Well apparently everyone sick who people see in the papers look fat. Anyways.. Funny thing is people say oh 70 or whatever % of people in hospital with this are overweight so it must mean you are more at risk if overweight. But I think when I see those percentages that MAYBE they are pro rata reflections of the general population which is about 70 or whatever % overweight. Note I said Maybe...no one is allowing me put on my nice doctors outfit tonight. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Irelands death toll is at our very worst flu 'season' totals already. Note flu season, which is about 7 months long.

So in 6 weeks, 4 of which this country has shutdown virtually all indoor gatherings we've already matched a very bad 7 month period that would have absolutely no restrictions.

Your level of ignorance is pretty staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

fr336 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me (or perhaps remind me, I'm tired) how we will be able to return to any pretence of normal life without potentially spiking the case rate again? Both in Ireland and where I am in UK (south England). It will have to happen regardless at some point as even someone like me who would always put lives over economy realises that there comes a point where this could all lead to a depression and god knows what else. So anyway back to my main point - how do we not just go back to square one if the borders are still open? All it takes is a handful of cases coming in from abroad to start up a cluster again. Or am I being really stupid and the long term effect of our lockdowns is that the majority of virus carriers will have got over it and now be immune? Will the post lockdown world still be fraught with risk but nowhere near as bad as where we were before it? I'm guessing ultimately we will all become compulsory mask wearers for a time.

Remains to be seen but likely fraught with risk, just less risk.

Italy and Spain both had explosions and locked down. Most of their big numbers were a result of cases infected pre-lockdown, with concerts, protests, no social distancing, pubs, restaurants etc.

I assume the idea is that once they get these under control and “open the tap” again, the removal of large gatherings, addition of social distancing, masks, better hygiene, cocooning, etc should see increased spread, but not as much.

Realistically, you’ll need to test much more and isolate cases, but it’s a game of whack a mole, especially due to asymptotic cases. Italy has also increased self isolation to 28 days from 14. Will be interesting to see how a confirmed case and let’s say 10 contacts could be successfully isolated for 28 days. And if it gets out of control again, will the public accept another lockdown.

Other issue is as seen in Italy today, when the government allowed some extra retail to open, many didn’t out of fear. Could be seen as a good sign, as people are hyper aware, but a bad sign if say supermarkets or chemists decide to also play it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just dropped in, can maybe shed some light on some of these points.

jackboy wrote: »

I can only give my side being a doctor in a large teaching hospital not a nurse in a midlands community hospital but thankfully my experience is miles from this. We have twice daily briefings where everything is out in the open. If there is any hint of COVID the patient is presumed positive until proven otherwise. I had a test on a Tuesday and got the results on a Wednesday as is the case for my colleagues. I'm taking a community hospital as being a nursing home type set up so that indeed could be very different.

I don't have any more detail on this than the age. Do you have a link to more details? Is it known he wasn't on 'life support'? Unfortunately some 23 year olds are also very sick and frail and this virus targets people with underlying conditions particularly harshly.

I'm not sure this is accurate about the UK, do you have a link? In Ireland we don't have such a rule. We are now doing CPR on anyone that required in in full PPE.

I guess this goes back to the nursing home and elderly patient discussion but a brief bit of background regarding CPR. Firstly in COVID the majority die of respiratory failure which put simply means the lungs do not extract enough oxygen from the air and pass it to blood. CPR will do nothing for this usually. CPR is generally a very poor and brutal procedure. Patients a lot of the time do not make it even if you get an initial ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation). It often causes broken ribs and trauma and severe psychological trauma to both patient (if they remember it) and staff. There are a few exceptions to what I have said (for example shockable broad complex tachycardia, for those interested).

But long story short if a patient arrests we will try and recuss if it might be useful. A lot of the time with COVID if won't be as it will be progressive ARDS that causes the arrest ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Not really correct, mouth-to-mouth is out, otherwise compression and defib OK but take precautions, especially defib cloth over mouth etc.

https://www.resus.org.uk/media/statements/resuscitation-council-uk-statements-on-covid-19-coronavirus-cpr-and-resuscitation/covid-community/

wakka12 wrote: »
    0.3% of 8 billion is 24 million

2 million infections is about 0.025% of the world pop

Wow. Crazy restrictions to tackle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

0.03%

I think youre being deliberately obtuse. COVID may be as bad (in the US) as a very bad flu season if they maintain the most stringent lockdown in modern human history. If life went on as it does during typical flu season, then COVID will result in a number of deaths many many multiples more than a very harsh flu season, as it is doing in NYC right now, where it is killing about 20x times more peoplein a given week than the number of people who die on a monthly basis from flu there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But long story short if a patient arrests we will try and recuss if it might be useful. A lot of the time with COVID if won't be as it will be progressive ARDS that causes the arrest ultimately.
    A rellie who's a doctor once described similar around CPR in many patients that it was "like trying to push start a car with no petrol in the tank".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Maybe because they get priority testing?

• Advertisement

joe_99 wrote: »
    0.03%

New i was missing a 0. Haha.

Ffs time to let it run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement