Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

417 deaths in Belgium..what is going on there?

Belgium has now overtaken both Spain and Italy as the country with the most deaths per capita in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wakka12 wrote: »
    417 deaths in Belgium..what is going on there?

Belgium has now overtaken both Spain and Italy as the country with the most deaths per capita in the world
    I believe Belgium has quite a problem in their nursing homes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

is_that_so wrote: »
    What I've learnt from the CMO is that if he has the number he'll give it. They were down to about 6K outstanding tests at the beginning of the week and they expected it to be cleared this week.

They never told us about the backlog in Germany until they were called out on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

2. Perhaps this disease isn't as contagious as we think.

You got that from the graph you were quoting?

Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Great to see some leaders really understand the reproductive number. Fun fact, you can only estimate the R0 number effectively by testing effectively.

Wonder what the margin of error is on the R0 number. Must be massive. Big difference between 1.1 and 1.0. That's why we must err on side of caution. with regards easing restrictions. We should also wear masks. If you can interrupt one line of transmission then we should.

https://twitter.com/BenjAlvarez1/status/1250563198081740800?s=20

Angela has a PhD in quantum chemistry.
    I would have great faith in her ability to understand and make judgement calls on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

silverharp wrote: »

Its almost like there is no illness present.
    One more week of this and people will start to wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

hawkelady wrote: »
    Listen up smelly, I’m fairly sure your number 2 is BS. I personally know nurses on ventilators at this minute infected by covid19 , they were well aware of the disease and they know how to use ppe properly .. they got infected in work ..
    please don’t spout nonsense about you thinking it’s not really contagious. Cop on..

Look Pal im only going on the numbers available. Sorry to hear about your personal experience. Wouldnt wish it on anyone.

The numbers for me don't justify the level of lockdown we wre having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Angela has a PhD in quantum chemistry.
    I would have great faith in her ability to understand and make judgement calls on this.

As would I. Funnily enough I'd take a PhD in quantum chemistry over a medical degree in dealing with this crisis. She is well versed in uncertainty :)

They never told us about the backlog in Germany until they were called out on it
    No, they mentioned it when they discovered they had a problem with delays and had to arrange a large scale shipping of tests. If by called out you mean George Lee and other journos not getting their heads around some basic numbers, sure they were called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

0_Screen-Shot-2020-04-16-at-082247.png

Not sure if this was posted already. Locations of cases

0_Screen-Shot-2020-04-16-at-082253.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

This is absolutely harrowing, but I think you should read it.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

Heart wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Look Pal im only going on the numbers available. Sorry to hear about your personal experience. Wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Its the numbers we are not having that justify the lockdown. Go back and look at those exponential graphs that were flying off the top of the page.

I've missed dots! :D

Japan has declared a nationwide state of emergency this morning as cases rise throughout all provinces of the country

Cases in Japan have grown from 4,600 one week ago to over 8,600 today, deaths have also doubled over the last 7 days from 90 to 180

Great to see some leaders really understand the reproductive number. Fun fact, you can only estimate the R0 number effectively by testing effectively.

Wonder what the margin of error is on the R0 number. Must be massive. Big difference between 1.1 and 1.0. That's why we must err on side of caution. with regards easing restrictions. We should also wear masks. If you can interrupt one line of transmission then we should.

https://twitter.com/BenjAlvarez1/status/1250563198081740800?s=20

Whatever your opinions on Merkal and the German government, Isn't refreshing to see a politician with a good scientific understanding speak with authority on an issue. Having to ability to critically analyse data is a key skill that decision makers need to have. Too often, in the English speaking world particularly, politics and politicians are focused solely on the political process itself, and fail to see the wider picture. We need government with a wide range of backgrounds, rather than what we are tending more towards - the professional politician/ political hack. UK is overrun by it.

Rvsmmnps wrote: »

And those 135,000 people aren't really dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He'll get his second term, and then Ivanka will be President, or Trump junior, he's already putting the 2024 vibe out there. Truth is Trumps will be in office for next 20 years plus.
    Cuomo wins in 2024 if he is interested. He'd win 2020 if he was put forward for it, even as an independent.
    I'm talking about Simon Coveney
    My apologies I thought the nickname was in relation to the clown that is currently minister for health.
    The greatest successful lie perpetrated by the republicans in the US is that CNN and Fox are the same but opposite. You could argue MSNBC and Fox, however even there MSNBC tend to report facts, even if they do have a certain spin. Fox is just lies and propaganda
    Do you ever watch the channel? Did you ever go and fact check when you heard something that sounded too far fetched? I have and found they were regularly shortening what was said to make it sound like
    something completely different to what was actually said, have unsubstantiated news regularly and have conversations about issues where they all agree in the opposite side to the republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wake up to what?

Almost 100,000 people have died in Europe in the last month, what will they wake up to exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Let me try convince you with logic.

Do you accept that if you don't come in contact with anybody, it's very unlikely that you will catch the virus? For example, some hermit on an island on his own is not really going to catch the virus, is he?

So..........logically...........staying away from other people works.

And the lockdown is to get people to stay away from other people.

Unfortunately it has to be severe because people are generally stupid......example in point
    > https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-garda-powerless-5067719-Apr2020/

I find it hard to believe people are still trying to go to the pub.

So.......in the absense of any semblance of common sense, we need to have the lockdown to stop the disease spreading and overwhelming our health system.

The longer people half-arse the lockdown, the longer we will need to keep the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The numbers are of course heavily influenced by the lockdown.

This is pretty basic stuff, but clearly beyond you. Fascinating really. Your world must be a very odd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Some proper clowns on here. Open everything back up now and we would destroy the health system in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

My guess is August by the time large offices get to go back to working in an office. Gov should be pushing the work from home idea where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ace2007 wrote: »
    There was a healthcare worker who died in March but no other details were released.
    n earlier version of this article said wrongly that the first healthcare worker had died in the Covid-19 outbreak, a nurse at Tallaght Hospital. The healthcare worker was not a nurse and was not employed in Tallaght Hospital
    . https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-healthcare-worker-in-republic-dies-after-contracting-virus-1.4213892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

28 year old pregnant nurse dies in UK. Very sad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52301870

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This is hopeful. It shows the increase in hospital admissions of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Irish hospitals. The good news is the daily increase is tiny for ten days solid. Social distancing restrictions are working.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1250680267108421632

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    This is hopeful. It shows the increase in hospital admissions of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Irish hospitals. The good news is the daily increase is tiny for ten days solid. Social distancing restrictions are working.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1250680267108421632
    George Lee using the word hopeful? Yes it is! Henry mentioned this on Monday at the HSE briefing.

As would I. Funnily enough I'd take a PhD in quantum chemistry over a medical degree in dealing with this crisis. She is well versed in uncertainty :)

Ideal Government - Taoiseach - Scientist, Finance - Accountant, Justice - Not a lawyer, Transport - Engineer, Agriculture - Economist, Foreign Affairs - Historian, Health - Scientist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

2. Perhaps this disease isn't as contagious as we think.

I wish that were true. Unfortunately the opposite appears to be the case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Carbon125 wrote: »
    A graph for those who still think that Covid-19 is "just the flu":
    c516cb07-5989-453b-9417-957e63df222e.jpg

Lol

What is the point of re-printing this graph without commentary?

Do you want us to infer that the bigger spike in infections means that covid is much, much deadlier than the Asian flu pandemic which killed 2 million people? Why not just say that then?

Is the sharpness of this spike supposed to scare us? In fact the exponential decreases could be as sharp as the increases.

Even for this thread just throwing out data without interpretation is a bit silly.

Ideal Government - Taoiseach - A proper leader not afraid to make tough decisions. Finance - Accountant, Justice - Not a lawyer, Transport - Engineer, Agriculture - Economist, Foreign Affairs - Historian, Health - Scientist
    Fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

is_that_so wrote: »
    I believe Belgium has quite a problem in their nursing homes.

Two weeks ago Belgium was at 90 deaths per million population, Ireland was around 20 or so. I posted that we could be up with Belgium in a couple of weeks. We are now on 92 deaths per million but Belgium has moved on to 419 deaths per million with over 4000 deaths and rising rapidly. I am scared for us

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cuomo wins in 2024 if he is interested. He'd win 2020 if he was put forward for it, even as an independent.

My apologies I thought the nickname was in relation to the clown that is currently minister for health.

Do you ever watch the channel? Did you ever go and fact check when you heard something that sounded too far fetched? I have and found they were regularly shortening what was said to make it sound like
    something completely different to what was actually said, have unsubstantiated news regularly and have conversations about issues where they all agree in the opposite side to the republicans.

Balance is not both sides its facts. When someone is wrong they are wrong, and not giving both sides when one side is ludicrous is not bias

Some proper clowns on here. Open everything back up now and we would destroy the health system in short order.

Nobody is saying that. A lot of posters are arguing that we should have a controlled easing of restrictions.

Totally different to the total removal of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They don't care. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, rugby etc..all more important to them.

Same posters would tell you they support the HSE.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Two weeks ago Belgium was at 90 deaths per million population, Ireland was around 20 or so. I posted that we could be up with Belgium in a couple of weeks. We are now on 92 deaths per million but Belgium has moved on to 419 deaths per million with over 4000 deaths and rising rapidly. I am scared for us
    As mentioned above George Lee is hopeful so we're fine! Stable is the word they are using in relation to hospital cases. We will unfortunately have more deaths but the renewed focus on NHs should help mitigate that.

gabeeg wrote: »
    The numbers are of course heavily influenced by the lockdown.

This is pretty basic stuff, but clearly beyond you. Fascinating really. Your world must be a very odd place.

Read my posts.

Nobody arguing that lockdown should be lifted in totality.

A controlled easing of restrictions to ensure their is a functioning economy to return too.

Leave out the personal tone of your insults against me.

growleaves wrote: »
    Lol

Do you want us to infer that the bigger spike in infections means that covid is much, much deadlier than the Asian flu pandemic which killed 2 million people? Why not just say that then?

Is the sharpness of this spike supposed to scare us? In fact the exponential decreases could be as sharp as the increases.

Even for this thread just throwing out data without interpretation is a bit silly.
    Equally, it could not be. The graph is pretty clear, yes in the time that COVID has been at epidemic levels, it is much much deadlier than the Asian flu pandemic. What else do you judge it by exactly, other than by the amount of deaths it has caused while it has been at epidemic level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

**** sake, nobody dies of measles anymore, why are we wasting so much money on national and worldwide vaccination programs?

That's the level of your arguments.

Balance is not both sides its facts. When someone is wrong they are wrong, and not giving both sides when one side is ludicrous is not bias
    They were agreeing with Biden back in January calling Trump's decision to restrict flights from China as way ott, fear mongering, xenophobic etc.
    I suppose you agree with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Why do people repeatedly not get that the numbers are as they are as a result of the lockdown, they are not supposed to be justification for it as they would be totally different if not for the lockdown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ideal Government - Taoiseach - Scientist, Finance - Accountant, Justice - Not a lawyer, Transport - Engineer, Agriculture - Economist, Foreign Affairs - Historian, Health - Scientist

Agree with some of that but certainly not an accountant in Finance. They might balance the books but that would be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Read my posts.

Nobody arguing that lockdown should be lifted in totality.

A controlled easing of restrictions to ensure their is a functioning economy to return too.

Leave out the personal tone of your insults against me.

I'm not trying to be smart or pick on you here but what would you open up right now?

How would you go about easing the restrictions? What opens tomorrow, what controls etc. What opens then after that, and again what controls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

growleaves wrote: »
    Lol

The only thing silly here is your interpretation of the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

551 deaths and over 5,100 new cases reported in Spain.

Deaths up a bit on yesterday but new cases continue to accelerate up from 3,000 on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

blackcard wrote: »

I do not understand how western governments and healthcare administrators failed to recognise the dangers to nursing and care homes and put in place thorough protocols. We pay these people to have some foresight and plans in place.

Its actually shocking the complete lack of planning for a global pandemic there has been in the US and EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

crossman47 wrote: »
    Agree with some of that but certainly not an accountant in Finance. They might balance the books but that would be it.

Perhaps an entrepreneurially property developer would work :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    They were agreeing with Biden back in January calling Trump's decision to restrict flights from China as way ott, fear mongering, xenophobic etc.
    I suppose you agree with them?

This was discussed yesterday, but Trumps decision to restrict flights to China was all down to Trumps trade war with China and not in anyway related to public health as evidenced by the subsequent 6 weeks.

551 deaths and over 5,100 new cases reported in Spain.

Deaths up a bit on yesterday but new cases continue to accelerate up from 3,000 on Tuesday.

Looks more like Spain had their own backlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

And those 135,000 people aren't really dead

Totals from all illnesses effected by various strains of corona virus will show increase come the end of the year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement