Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Something is going to have to be done about the jogger situation in Dublin. I understand people must exercise but as these selfish people refuse to give way on footpaths and insist on imposing themselves on people out walking by sweating and breathing heavy as they pass us maybe they could have alloted time slots for running such as 8am to 9am and 9pm to 10pm or similar.
    Why are runners not entitled to use footpaths? They are generally the one's who are out all year as opposed to the new walkers who are out constantly now for a casual stroll walking side by side taking up the whole footpath? These are same people who will be back sitting on their ass at home once this is all over and won't venture out again.

A suggestion of dedicated running times is nonsense, that would be increasing contact risk for those who do exercise to accommodate the waddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

With all this sh!t, I don't care anymore if people want to go out and catch it, they're asking for it. But the way how this thing spreads, how do people not understand that?

Its a combination of ignorance and selfishness.
    They seem to think as long as you social distance and do the right thing in your new location whats the harm.
    There are more than 300 clusters in the country, if one person infected from each decided to go on a joly of the weekend you have created potential 300 new clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why are runners not entitled to use footpaths? They are generally the one's who are out all year as opposed to the new walkers who are out constantly now for a casual stroll walking side by side taking up the whole footpath? These are same people who will be back sitting on their ass at home once this is all over and won't venture out again.

A suggestion of dedicated running times is nonsense, that would be increasing contact risk for those who do exercise to accommodate the waddlers.

What time are you heading out for your run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Are you expecting to have the beach to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I live in Wexford on a country road with loads of holiday homes over the length of it. It's a dead end. I'm used to seeing the seven or eight local cars that I see during the winter months. The road is now summer busy with D registered cars. There are many summer houses occupied.

People aren't taking this seriously enough. The "request" to stay at home seems to have been widely ignored. The powers given to the Gardaí look to be a waste of time.

Just a view from one small part of Ireland, but I would bet it's no different in holiday areas across the country.

Take photos and post car registrations to guards, let them follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Worth watching.

Everyone tested. Anyone who tests positive put in hospital to isolate from passing on in community.
    Masks.

Try to see past the Asian faces and accent. Imagine it’s a different country if you must. I’m not sure what the economy of Wuhan is but it’s massive. They are not dado masochists wanting to kill their economy. They wanted to get back to normal.

https://twitter.com/cgtnofficial/status/1248234206582300673?s=21

These are some seriously efficient human beings... no bullsh!t, no PR nonsense, no waiting for the WHO or anyone else to hold their hand... they just spring into action and attacked this virus from every possible angle!

Hugely impressive - makes our lot look like complete amateurs by comparison!

No point showing this to many people around here. Any country that has better stats than us, is just written off as fiddling their numbers... China, Germany etc etc... (No real evidence required btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Danno wrote: »
    We (Irish Authorities) now have three weeks until May 5th to do something about this virus, here is what should be done IMHO:

* Order 5 million anti-body tests
    * downscale current C19 testing and upscale with this new anti-body test
    * issue clear-to-go cards for citizens who are C19 immune who are then allowed to move freely
    * mandatory anti-body testing for the entire population - put those 50 testing centres into actual meaningful use
    * lockdown to remain in place for those over 66 (retired) or with a compromised immune system unless they pass an anti-body test
    * relax restrictions for the remainder of the population to pre-March 28th levels from May 5th
    * require that anyone entering Ireland has an anti-body test on the spot - if you refuse, immediate denial of entry to the state.
    * full opening of all businesses by May 18th.

This operation would require that we get up to 100,000 antibody tests done a day. With ~50 centres this would require a throughput of 2,000 people each day. Manageable?

What do you do with the majority of people you test that came back negative for antibodies it does not appear that there is mass spread in the community.
    You can't lock them away for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Belgium the latest country to have more reported deaths than China.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wait too late after infection and antibodies may have subsided to below a detectable limit.

Is that just true of strip testing? Is lab testing more comprehensive? When I was 33 I tested positive for antibodies for measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox, which I had when I was, respectively, 3, 5, 5 and 8.

And my mum's heaf tests showed her to have TB antibodies when she was 8 and 17. She is suspected to have had TB as a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Guys I really think a bit of perspective is needed on some of the articles being posted and long term consequences etc.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

I would consider the above a very poor mish mash of an article and would have many issues with it.

I am a relatively senior doctor who has treated many COVID patients in a large hospital in Ireland and have assessed at least 100 patients in the emergency department who presented to the COVID pathway. I have now been diagnosed with it myself. My experience is anecdotal but so are these opinion pieces dressed up as scientific fact about 30 patients in a particular area. I have discussed COVID with many colleagues including imminent ID physicians from Ireland and abroad. This is just my opinion.

The human race has likely being battling coronaviruses since day dot along with influenza viruses and likely viruses we never heard of or identified. This is a novel virus but at the end of the day most of us are equipped to deal with it. Our immune system is the most remarkable thing I've ever seen described and for a large part of the population it will see them through this.

The vast majority of 'healthy' young people we see in the COVID ED who think they may have COVID or have been diagnosed in the community we discharge back home to self isolate and they do not require hospitalisation. Their bloods are essentially normal, their chest x-rays are normal. Their troponin and NT-BNP are normal and they do not have cardiac involvement. Their liver function is normal. These people make up the majority of cases in the under 50 years age group. This is important to emphasise. These people still carry it and give it to more vulnerable but the clinical syndrome they get is usually mild. The likelihood of these people having long term issues is very very minimal because they don't really have any significant issues to begin with.

On the other side I have seen many patients some with risk factors as 'benign' as obesity get very sick with bilateral interstitial pneumonia. They do have a characteristic blood pattern of raised LDH and ferritin, raised CRP, and lymphopenia. Depending on the risk profile some of these recover and bloods etc normalise pre discharge and some get sick and require protracted hospital admissions or sadly don't make it.

The issue is when this virus causes pneumonia (the most common complication by miles), myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) and other anomalies like raised liver function tests. If anyone gets a severe pneumonia they are likely to scar an area of lung. COVID may or may not make this more likely. We don't know. These are the group that may have long term sequela in my opinion.

Articles that post gripping headlines about how COVID causes long term effects etc are aimed to shock. We don't know yet the full course of the disease. The point is that many critical illnesses (of which COVID pneumonia is) can cause long term issues.

Although there are always a long line of people wanting to criticise and throw stones, we are doing ok as a health service so far. One more big push and get the R0 below 1 and we can hopefully consider a life beyond this.

• Advertisement

The amount of cyclists and joggers either spitting or blowing their nose all over the pavement is disgusting.

I feel like chasing after them and beating them with a shovel every time I see it.

How ignorant can you be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

These are some seriously efficient human beings... no bullsh!t, no PR nonsense, no waiting for the WHO or anyone else to hold their hand... they just spring into action and attacked this virus from every possible angle!

Hugely impressive - makes our lot look like complete amateurs by comparison!

No point showing this to many people around here. Any country that has better stats than us, is just written off as fiddling their numbers... China, Germany etc etc... (No real evidence required btw)

Even if China’s numbers are 100% true, they were able to do the above because of a fairly flexible approach to human rights.

To do what they’ve done there would involve turning the ethical system we’ve been building since WW2 upside down and governments are understandably reluctant to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Esse85 wrote: »
    The amount of cyclists and joggers either spitting or blowing their nose all over the pavement is disgusting.

I feel like chasing after them and beating them with a shovel every time I see it.

How ignorant can you be.

Most were ignorant before this, not gonna change now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

How ignorant can you be.

you would do well to catch a cyclist while running with a shovel in hand

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Reliable Lab based serology test on something like a Elecsys 801 only takes about 18 minutes. Of course you have to collect the sample and centrifuge, in theory you could have a result within 45 mins if pushed.

Multiply that by thousands of samples a day.

And explain to a Dr in ED that their patients Troponin is taking hours because there's a fleet of Covid antibody tests from the community ahead of it.

you would do well to catch a cyclist while running with a shovel in hand

Why run when I have a car.

Jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Just hearing a lot of people raise concern about the Gardai not wearing masks and leaning into cars during stops.

They should be wearing them for protection in both directions and staying well back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Guys I really think a bit of perspective is needed on some of the articles being posted and long term consequences etc.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

I would consider the above a very poor mish mash of an article and would have many issues with it.

I am a relatively senior doctor who has treated many COVID patients in a large hospital in Ireland and have assessed at least 100 patients in the emergency department who presented to the COVID pathway. I have now been diagnosed with it myself. My experience is anecdotal but so are these opinion pieces dressed up as scientific fact about 30 patients in a particular area. I have discussed COVID with many colleagues including imminent ID physicians from Ireland and abroad. This is just my opinion.

The human race has likely being battling coronaviruses since day dot along with influenza viruses and likely viruses we never heard of or identified. This is a novel virus but at the end of the day most of us are equipped to deal with it. Our immune system is the most remarkable thing I've ever seen described and for a large part of the population it will see them through this.

The vast majority of 'healthy' young people we see in the COVID ED who think they may have COVID or have been diagnosed in the community we discharge back home to self isolate and they do not require hospitalisation. Their bloods are essentially normal, their chest x-rays are normal. Their troponin and NT-BNP are normal and they do not have cardiac involvement. Their liver function is normal. These people make up the majority of cases in the under 50 years age group. This is important to emphasise. These people still carry it and give it to more vulnerable but the clinical syndrome they get is usually mild. The likelihood of these people having long term issues is very very minimal because they don't really have any significant issues to begin with.

On the other side I have seen many patients some with risk factors as 'benign' as obesity get very sick with bilateral interstitial pneumonia. They do have a characteristic blood pattern of raised LDH and ferritin, raised CRP, and lymphopenia. Depending on the risk profile some of these recover and bloods etc normalise pre discharge and some get sick and require protracted hospital admissions or sadly don't make it.

The issue is when this virus causes pneumonia (the most common complication by miles), myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) and other anomalies like raised liver function tests. If anyone gets a severe pneumonia they are likely to scar an area of lung. COVID may or may not make this more likely. We don't know. These are the group that may have long term sequela in my opinion.

Articles that post gripping headlines about how COVID causes long term effects etc are aimed to shock. We don't know yet the full course of the disease. The point is that many critical illnesses (of which COVID pneumonia is) can cause long term issues.

Although there are always a long line of people wanting to criticise and throw stones, we are doing ok as a health service so far. One more big push and get the R0 below 1 and we can hopefully consider a life beyond this.

Thanks for your post. With regards to the reactivation of the virus in Korean patients would you have any views or is it too early to say?

Germany are testing 116k per day , the UK are hoping to be testing 100k a day by the end of this month , Ireland tests how many a day?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Something is going to have to be done about the jogger situation in Dublin. I understand people must exercise but as these selfish people refuse to give way on footpaths and insist on imposing themselves on people out walking by sweating and breathing heavy as they pass us maybe they could have alloted time slots for running such as 8am to 9am and 9pm to 10pm or similar.

What part don't you get about transmitting the disease..???

Being near a person (within six feet) for approx 15 minutes!

Now, unless it's a 90yr old medically obese jogger passing you by, he'd surely pass you by in under three seconds..??

Quit moaning ffs...

Most joggers I see are solitary runners, they run past you with without hassle, with the majority of them bidding you a good day...

Have one look around the Supermarket the next time you are shopping, you will see many, many more virus spreading potential risks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

iguana wrote: »
    Is that just true of strip testing? Is lab testing more comprehensive? When I was 33 I tested positive for antibodies for measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox, which I had when I was, respectively, 3, 5, 5 and 8.

Lab testing would be much more sensitive (able to detect very tiny amounts of antibodies present) and specific (only detecting the relevant antibodies and not other ones).

Why run when I have a car.

Jeez

is that an essential trip?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Germany are testing 116k per day , the UK are hoping to be testing 100k a day by the end of this month , Ireland tests how many a day?

When you say test do you mean swabs taken or swabs analysed in a laboratory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Hope you recover quickly. Is there enough ppe coming through the system now to protect health care workers?

When you say test do you mean swabs taken or swabs analysed in a laboratory?

swabs taken

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thanks for your post. With regards to the reactivation of the virus in Korean patients would you have any views or is it too early to say?

I don't know to be honest. There is certainly the potential that this virus causes quite a long illness that appears to be resolved and then reappears in some people. it may be a case that it was never gone.

In Ireland it hasn't been something that I have come across. But really we are only seeing the start of the sick COVID patients going home. Up to now the people going home have been the ones that were not too sick to begin with. So maybe a signal will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bannasidhe wrote:
    What we never get is treated like adults, transparency, lack of spin, or any kind of openness.
    So true.
    Really enjoyed reading your post, good fun and basically telling the whole story as it was and is. Great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Thank you so much for your beautiful, lovely and hopeful post. I'm wishing you all the best and a speady recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

swabs taken

4500 a day next week but increasing past that if necessary afaik.

Main issue is reagents, which seems to be improving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To put that in Irish population context divide the German figure by 17.44 which is 6651 tests per day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement