Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OK fine don't believe me.

I'm just saying what my friend who wouldn't lie was told over the phone.

I don't care whether you believe it or not.

Its fine, we don't. Nonetheless its good advice and consistent with the ongoing instructions.

Every other day the Dept of Health / NPHET are having to address various rumours, fake whatsapps and whatnot and its ridiculous.

Personally, I think Tony Holohan is sharing as much with the general public as he can be sure of and stand over. Yes things change often, but they have a greater responsibility than any of us could fathom to balance clear direction with avoiding undue anxiety in the general populace. If people don't believe THEM in turn, then you should just close the curtains for the next 2 years, cos really they are not out to put you at risk.

Everyone should do everyone else a favour and avoid giving oxygen to bullshyte, hearsay or the latest reports from Granny's best friend's poodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

In what way?

In my unprofessional opinion,
    1. Viruses don't survive well in hot sunny weather
    2. Other countries with hotter climates seem to prove my point
    3. immune systems is stronger in summer

I could be open to correction on any of above points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

growleaves wrote: »
    A man I know under 70 who has conditions told me today that he got a call from his doctor asking him not to do his own shopping and to stay in.

Were lying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Poorside wrote: »
    Some people are still in work and very glad of the extra day this week.

Yeah like me.
    Was supposed to be on 9 days holidays but due to people ringing in saying they are afraid of catching Corona I was asked could I work and no date in the near future for my holiday's.

Was working good Friday and on Saturday morning I was just going cutting the lawn and I got a phonecall asking can I come in to ease the workload.

Monday comes and sitting at home, eating ****.
    I could have been working instead.
    So yeah, in my situation where we are busier than ever, taking bank holiday Mondays is a waste at the moment.
    Way too busy to be taking meaningless days off.

A friend who is listed as vulnerable got the call this morning.

The community spread is huge and restrictions aren't working.

Where I work, I am part of in work contact tracing team for 600 employees in the event that someone leaves with symptoms, is sent for testing or tests positive. It is 13 days since we had an employee sent for testing. A total of 20 people sent for testing since we started. Waiting results for 2 people and 2 positive, both of whom were tested over 3 weeks ago. It is definitely working, and about 60% of these employees travel to work daily as it is an essential employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Were lying though.

You are lying about this claim you have made.

Your claim, nobody else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

People under 70 with certain conditions were supposed to be cocooning since the end of March

Yes I know.

I don't see any contradiction though. Lots of people are quite fuzzy about the restrictions and don't follow the news closely so a reminder from a local doctor isn't outlandish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

easypazz wrote: »
    You are lying about this claim you have made.

Your claim, nobody else's.

OK fine.

My friend and me have absolutely no reason to lie about this.

That's the last I'll say as I'm obviously annoying people.

Move in and forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yes I know.

I don't see any contradiction though. Lots of people are quite fuzzy about the restrictions and don't follow the news closely so a reminder from a local doctor isn't outlandish.

No absolutely I don't think its outlandish at all. I just don't think it was linked to the other poster's claim though I'm not saying you were necessarily saying they were linked either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

1. This is the case for some/most viruses, but not all. MERS for example existing only in the warm Middle East.
    2. Spain has had weather consistently of 20 degrees plus during their outbreaks.
    3. May be correct, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Community transmission down from 66 to 52% according to the DoH dashboard

https://twitter.com/jimmymacRTE/status/1250490344522895361?s=19

2. Spain has had weather consistently of 20 degrees plus during their outbreaks.

Madrid is 18C right now. If all parts of Spain can get over 26C this summer then we'll see.

The hottest part of Spain Cordoba has so far had zero deaths from coronavirus.

A man I know under 70 who has conditions told me today that he got a call from his doctor asking him not to do his own shopping and to stay in.

It's clear they are expanding to ask vulnerable people to cocoon as they understand the impact of the virus more. I know of someone in their late 40's with an underlying, but under control heart condition who was advised by their GP a number of weeks ago that they could still travel to work in an essential service. Subsequently they got ill, isolated, tested and just got negative results 2 days ago. They are now being advised by GP to remain at home. They understand the risks to individuals better now, which is why they are advising people with pre existing conditions to remain at home. Maybe they are telling some people its rampant to reinforce that message

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Madrid is 18C right now. If all parts of Spain can get over 26C this summer then we'll see.

The hottest part of Spain Cordoba has so far had zero deaths from coronavirus.

Now, while I appreciate that a virus outside of a body isn't the same as a virus inside it, if temperature alone were to affect it, it would be enough for people to develop a fever to be rid of it, and we know this isn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m 28 and and I have an autoimmune condition and have been told to limit my movement

Now, while I appreciate that a virus outside of a body isn't the same as a virus inside it, if temperature alone were to affect it, it would be enough for people to develop a fever to be rid of it, and we know this isn't the case.

It could be the humidity in the air rather than the temp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Accidents can and do happen, and even the Washington Post has written about US cables that stated their concerns over the lab in Wuhan back in 2018 and the lack of qualified technicians and the risks it posed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/editorial/opinion--us-diplomatic-cables-warned-of-wuhan-lab-safety-issues-the-world-needs-answers/2020/04/16/936e1ece-b717-4b4d-afe9-11e2f1590781_video.html

Unfortunately accidents to happen....... a lot. Not just china.
    Human error in high-biocontainment labs: a likely pandemic threat
    Still, lab safety has been a problem in China. “A safety breach at a Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention lab is believed to have caused four suspected SARS cases, including one death, in Beijing in 2004. A similar accident caused 65 lab workers of Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute to be infected with brucellosis in December 2019,” Huang wrote. “In January 2020, a renowned Chinese scientist, Li Ning, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for selling experimental animals to local markets.

https://thebulletin.org/2019/02/human-error-in-high-biocontainment-labs-a-likely-pandemic-threat/

United States Government Accountability Office report including how anthrax thought to be inactive sent to 200 locations worldwide.
    https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/679392.pdf

509803.png

Amirani wrote: »
    1. This is the case for some/most viruses, but not all. MERS for example existing only in the warm Middle East.
    3. May be correct, yeah.

Maybe the warm middle east contributed to the reason it never went out of control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This is looking less and less like a conspiracy theory.
    Sorry for speculating. I linked to nature. Of course its origin doesn't really change much for us as we are where we are now. I was reprimanded for using the term airborne early on. HSE reports showing transmission in some clusters as being airborne. I will cease and desist until such a time that it is proven.

Not getting into the space of 'conspiracy theory' (as in deliberately engineered) as mod has decided that it should not be considered as a possibility (for the purposes of this thread).

But I don't think anyone can rule out the possibility of an accidental leak from normal tests - that is entirely possible and cannot yet be discounted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Just heard there is new memos going around in the HSE today the community spread is huge and the restrictions aren't working.

They are calling vulnerable people who aren't over 70 encouraging them to cocoon.
    lack of masks for general public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It could be the humidity in the air rather than the temp
    Still one of the many unknowns about this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

A friend who is listed as vulnerable got the call this morning.

Fair enough calling your friend to advise them to cocoon but why would they then tell them that the community spread is out of control if that’s information from an internal HSE memo? Also if your friend heard it you can be sure the media would be reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Ebola, seemed to do fine in Africa, MERS in the middle east. Known for being cold spots yes.

Ironically one of the postulated reasons for the seasonality of flu is that we get out and about more in summer

I think everyone should remember that every new case you hear from now is because two people did not observe the rules of lockdown, social distancing, hand hygiene and cough etiquette.

Unless your rules include complete sterilisation of everything we touch, including post and shopping, your assertion is incorrect.
    Also the 2 metre distance rule is almost certainly not enough to prevent infection in some circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

:rolleyes:
    You do not know that. Prolonged exposure in anything less than full respirator PPE can result in infection. The expectation of asking people to remain at home was not to stop spread, but restrict it, primarily to the home. It is nearly impossible to prevent spread within a home.

How is it still getting into homes?
    Oh yeah, people agree bringing it. We've been weeks in lockdown, all those home cases should have worked themselves out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Maybe the warm middle east contributed to the reason it never went out of control?

I think it might have something to do with the lack of camels in other parts.

2. Spain has had weather consistently of 20 degrees plus during their outbreaks. Spain is too general.
    3. May be correct, yeah.

1. I would look at how it survives when it doesn't have a host. Certainly MERS occured in the middle East but how much of a limiting factor did a warm sunny day have on its infections rates?
    2. Look up Spanish weather in the Basque/madrid region for the previous months?
    3. Good

Ironically one of the postulated reasons for the seasonality of flu is that we get out and about more in summer
    Flu is all year round in tropical countries but yeah this and the likely overall influence of Vitamin D on our immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

do we have a nursing home thread, how about nursing home ama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Lidl was crammed today, families and couples shopping together, lads queuing for a few cans, social distance of about 2 feet. People aren't taking the restrictions seriously in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I see there is now some traction behind the bio lab in Wuhan explanation. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

This has been the advice for at risk groups all along: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/cocooning.html

Cocooning is for people who:
    • are over 70 years of age - even if you're fit and well
    • are solid organ transplant recipients
    • have cancer and are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
    • have cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
    • are having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
    • are having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    • have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    • have severe respiratory conditions including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD
    • have rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
    • are on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection
    • are pregnant and have significant heart disease, congenital or acquired
    If you are unsure whether or not you need to cocoon or not, talk to your doctor.

Are there any rough numbers of how many people in Ireland have these conditions? I’ve heard some people are saying that we should lift restrictions and anyone vulnerable should cocoon.

Would that be even possible to do with the amount of people that fall into the vulnerable category? Also how can I people cocoon safely if living with other people ?

I’m not suggesting we lift restrictions. I’m just trying to understand why this wouldn’t work at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ebola, seemed to do fine in Africa, MERS in the middle east. Known for being cold spots yes.

The weather has no impact on the virus. SARS and MERS were stopped thanks to effective containment only. Ebola would have done just fine in Europe had it spread here, thank god it was contained in Africa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Just talking to a friend of the family there who got out of hospital last week after getting the virus, said he felt like he was drowning very hard to catch his breath, was touch n go for a while, he's still feeling very weak from it, reckons he picked it up in Italy were he was driving trucks or on the ferry back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Lidl was crammed today

Crammed, but not by you, you weren't cramming the place at all, just everyone else you saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I see there is now some traction behind the bio lab in Wuhan explanation. Interesting times.

You mean Trump trying to direct attention away from his disastrous reaction to the outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

BanditLuke wrote: »

And will any of the people apologise to the poor bat for all the slander if it is true? I mean we had everything on the horrors of a wet market and now they may be innocent?

Seriously though. This is pure rumour right now blaming China for not doing enough to stop the virus isn't enough. So it has to be deliberate evilness from China that has to be blamed. Deliberate.

The weather has no impact on the virus. SARS and MERS were stopped thanks to effective containment only. Ebola would have done just fine in Europe had it spread here, thank god it was contained in Africa
    Look forward to your research paper on this. General thinking on SARS is that it burnt itself out, far too virulent and killed 1 in 10.

:rolleyes:

How is it still getting into homes?
    Oh yeah, people agree bringing it. We've been weeks in lockdown, all those home cases should have worked themselves out by now.

what people need to understand is that the measures put in place were never expected to stop all transmission, but to reduce the opportunities for infection by >90%. If we do that R0 will drop below 1, cases will decline, and restrictions can be eased in a controlled manner.

100% prevention of transmission of a virus like SARS COV-2 is not possible as some people need to still get to work to keep the lights on, keep food in the supermarkets, collect the rubbish, among many other essential services, not least the huge amount of people in healthcare. This is where cases are coming from

• Advertisement

How is ebola spread?

Crammed, but not by you, you weren't cramming the place at all, just everyone else you saw.
    Look just accept it's never the poster at fault in these situations.

And will any of the people apologise to the poor bat for all the slander if it is true? I mean we had everything on the horrors of a wet market and now they may be innocent?

You should able to order bat soup in chic diners in Ranelagh. True multiculturalism.

How is ebola spread?
    Direct contact.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Direct contact.

Oh So weather has actually very little impact on transmission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Just heard there is new memos going around in the HSE today the community spread is huge and the restrictions aren't working.

They are calling vulnerable people who aren't over 70 encouraging them to cocoon.

People should be banned for posting rubbish like this

Pure scaremongering bollocks

Cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

How is ebola spread?

You don't want to know :eek:

Oh So weather has actually very little impact on transmission?
    Don't believe so.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ebola-virus/expert-answers/can-ebola-spread-through-air/faq-20115575

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Lidl was crammed today, families and couples shopping together, lads queuing for a few cans, social distance of about 2 feet. People aren't taking the restrictions seriously in this country

No, the people you saw aren’t taking it seriously. You shouldn’t tar everyone in the country with the one brush based on a brief observation of a handful of people in Lidl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

NDWC wrote: »
    People should be banned for posting rubbish like this

Pure scaremongering bollocks

Cop on

You'd have to wonder how this highly confidential, highly alarming "memo" was worded . . .

. . . Did it say "run to the hills with your hands in the air, we're all doomed I tell you, doomed"

For clarity, I should point out that I don't believe any of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement