Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

Another jump in Italy :( 3,786 new cases and 525 new deaths

look at the Italian data - they tend to get 3 low days followed by 4 high days, but the lower than the previous high days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

road_high wrote: »
    Is there any evidence of it going away over summer months?
    Unknown but not something anyone is banking on, except Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I see the guards no longer have checkpoint set up in the city, why did it stop?

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is there any evidence of it going away over summer months?

Theres no evidence but that doesnt mean its not possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

silverharp wrote: »
    I see Belgium has the highest rate of deaths in the world 419 per million, do they have a nursing home problem?

Belgium include care homes, etc. in their numbers , unlike many others (including neighbours Holland).

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they'll go with the original May 5th once the testing system is up and running. Not much information to be had from one extra week.

Don't know what they will go with, but 4 weeks after dropping below 1 is two full incubation cycles, which to me makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Italy one of the worst-hit countries during the coronavirus pandemic, have re-opened thousands of businesses this week, with millions of workers heading back to their job.
    Dont understand it myself.

3K cases for a 60 million people country is less in % than the daily increases we get here

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I see the guards no longer have checkpoint set up in the city, why did it stop?

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

If checkpiont is always in the same place its kind of pointless

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do not forget that testing is about 14 days behind infection, and death perhaps another 10 to twenty days behind infection.

So, we are not quite into seeing the lockdown affecting infection, and a few weeks before the deaths start showing the effect of the lockdown.

Let us hope that they begin to show soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Amusing seeing the "we must get the economy going but protect the vunerable" posts - do people realise how many vunerable people live with younger, healthier people? Let's be honest, it's just window dressing. Once our own house is in order, we don't give a stuff about the community at large - we want our "freedom" and right here right now wasteful economy back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Don't know what they will go with, but 4 weeks after dropping below 1 is two full incubation cycles, which to me makes sense
    It's not just R0, the testing system is a big element of getting out of this. The problem of an extra week is the much greater risk of people just flouting it as a week just looks like a random number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That deal on the private hospital beds looking like a farce.

https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1250816347115851778?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientists-in-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101
    Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'
    Once the vaccine is developed, it will take at least 90 days to complete the regulatory process and potentially more to enter the marketplace.
    “Let’s call it pure luck,” he said. “We decided to choose coronavirus as a model for our system just as a proof of concept for our technology.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8225759/Protesters-swarm-Michigan-North-Carolina-Ohio-Utah-Wyoming-demonstrate-lockdown-orders.html

Could gather traction. This is what Trump is speaking of when he claims people want to open up, they want to go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Does anyone really know what the **** is going on or what to do...

Wombatman wrote: »
    Maybe we are seeing the "“behavioural fatigue” the British predicted?
    I don't think we are too far off it. We can probably do the 18 more days but beyond that we need to see something happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I think we're all what the f-k'g right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Six funerals per hour at some churches and cemeteries in Madrid
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-between-30-and-50-funerals-a-day-being-held-at-spanish-church-11974190
    "It is worse than a war" - that's how families burying their dead in Spain's worst hit region are describing the impact of the coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    There is no reason for a couple or a family of 3 to go shopping together. Nobody enjoys the lockdown, we are following specific rules for our own safety not for fun

Yes there is. Primary carers without anyone to step in and mind their loved one is a good reason why they both might have to go.

It's no liner this thing. The rules need to be flexible to allow people to continue to function while at home. Again your another one who comes on here spouting nonsense about people not isolating etc but give no solutions to issues I have highlighted above.

I'm glad people are starting to report it, I noticed that too in my local LIDL
    People are just idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fr336 wrote: »
    Amusing seeing the "we must get the economy going but protect the vunerable" posts - do people realise how many vunerable people live with younger, healthier people? Let's be honest, it's just window dressing. Once our own house is in order, we don't give a stuff about the community at large - we want our "freedom" and right here right now wasteful economy back.

With all due respect it’s not as cut and dry. People have huge bills and repayments to meet, put food on the table etc. These are not selfish motivations

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

If checkpiont is always in the same place its kind of pointless

But it acts as a deterrent to stop people entering city if not needed, they were stopping buses and most buses go through the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Dunno but I'm beginning to think I need to catch a dose of this thing to justify all this to myself

• Advertisement

Surely these beds and hospitals can be brought into state ownership for the duration of this things. Id have thought this could be legislated for quick enough.

Obviously the Fine Gael landlord party have vested interests in profit making hospitals and pharmacy's so this won't happen.

Yes there is. Primary carers without anyone to step in and mind their loved one is a good reason why they both might have to go.

It's no liner this thing. The rules need to be flexible to allow people to continue to function while at home. Again your another one who comes on here spouting nonsense about people not isolating etc but give no solutions to issues I have highlighted above.

what you call nonsense is the standard rule in most affected countries.

One person per household is very basic easily applicable rule. Couples don't need to both go shopping together, plain and simple. Social distancing is also all over the place at the moment. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking notice of what happens in LIDL

With all due respect it’s not as cut and dry. People have huge bills and repayments to meet, put food on the table etc. These are not selfish motivations

Valid concerns too. People who want a lockdown for the foreseeable future are not putting any solutions forward on how to subsidise this and the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Says original article was from February this year. Updated in 7 April. Many commercial labs fast tracking R&D. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

fr336 wrote: »
    Amusing seeing the "we must get the economy going but protect the vunerable" posts

They're just parroting tripe they're hearing online.

• Advertisement

Valid concerns too. People who want a lockdown for the foreseeable future are not putting any solutions forward on how to subsidise this and the economy.

It's not their job to put forward solutions. There are qualified people in charge of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

wakka12 wrote: »

China did this

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    what you call nonsense is the standard rule in most affected countries.

One person per household is very basic easily applicable rule. Couples don't need to both go shopping together, plain and simple

Answer the question. If a carer of a person with nobody else in their lives to help out need to get essentials what do they do? If deliveries are delayed what do they do? They simply need to bring the person they are caring for with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I cant help but feel if Sinn Fein were in charge, things may have been different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Colour me unsurprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

Leo softening us for an extension of restrictions after 5th May.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    It's not their job to put forward solutions. There are qualified people in charge of doing that.

Haha easy get out there.

So shoot down everyone with a legitimate concern over income and the economy and then use that nugget.

Answer the question. If a carer of a person with nobody else in their lives to help out need to get essentials what do they do? If deliveries are delayed what do they do? They simply need to bring the person they are caring for with them.

That's not what i reported. Couples where both are healthy enough to go around should not be both shopping at the same time

Well, restrictions are still in place and will be till 5th May. Numbers going into hospital and ICU are stable, a key factor, testing system aiming to get to 48 hour turnaround and go back to the looser case definition. Meanwhile planning underway to decide how to get out of this, hopefully from the 5th May. And it's another lovely day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I cant help but feel if Sinn Fein were in charge, things may have been different

Yep, an awful lot worse

Haha easy get out there.

So shoot down everyone with a legitimate concern over income and the economy and then use that nugget.

I haven't shot anyone down, what on earth are you on about. I simply stated reality. At the end of the day some average Joe here can put forward ideas/solutions but it's those in charge who will make the decisions. Chew on that nugget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

jackboy wrote: »

No chance. people have done their bit. If they made a balls of it resign.

A very short extension followed by a clear plan is about as much as they will get away with.

jackboy wrote: »
    Not really, he's just towing the CMO/HSE/NEPHT line of it being too early to say and just fobbing off the increasingly dumb questions from journalists. Look at how I don't know got legs as something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Any truth to a rumour that a Fruit Company in Ireland flew in 180 fruit pickers from Bulgaria on a single chartered flight last weekend. Not much social distancing in that flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

easypazz wrote: »

A very short extension followed by a clear plan is about as much as they will get away with.

How is it Leo's fault that the virus won't be gone until it's gone?

Is it his fault that people are scruff bags and have no sense of hygiene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

Leo essentially said we will have to see how things go. Sounds like there is no plan yet.

So italy and spain curve is levelling, but doesn't seem any where near dropping - which is a surprise since we have had 2 incubation periods at least now in lockdown, I would have expected rates to be falling by now.

Looks like a long long long time ahead with this lockdown bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People have done their bit?

Some have, many have not.

Stop making it political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump is right about peoples mental health suffering in lockdown situations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement