Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

So, I have a distant elderly relative in a nursing home. The Nursing Home is based in the East of the country (Ireland).

By a simple google search, that took less than 5 minutes, I was able to determine that in the last 10 days, there were 7 recorded deaths in that particular nursing home (at least).

To say i'm worried is an understatement. While some of these death could well be from natural causes, there's no doubt in my mind that some are Covid-19 related as 7 deaths in 10 days just doesn't seem normal to me.

I won't dare mention this to my relatives- but I'm absolutely gutted and a lot more worried now than i was to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Trump is right about peoples mental health suffering in lockdown situations.
    Yeah, broken clock and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why are people still using the word lockdown??

There has been nothing close to a lockdown in Ireland and people are crying about loosing their minds.

Kids aren't as bad as these morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I haven't shot anyone down, what on earth are you on about. I simply stated reality. At the end of the day some average Joe here can put forward ideas/solutions but it's those in charge who will make the decisions. Chew on that nugget.

Rubbish. I have it on good authority that Varadkar, Harris and Holohan read this thread from start to finish before every Covid-19 meeting. They'd be fools not to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So, I have a distant elderly relative in a nursing home. The Nursing Home is based in the East of the country (Ireland).

By a simple google search, that took less than 5 minutes, I was able to determine that in the last 10 days, there were 7 recorded deaths in that particular nursing home (at least).

To say i'm worried is an understatement. While some of these death could well be from natural causes, there's no doubt in my mind that some are Covid-19 related as 7 deaths in 10 days just doesn't seem normal to me.

I won't dare mention this to my relatives- but I'm absolutely gutted and a lot more worried now than i was to date.

How upsetting for you :( Wishing your family the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

easypazz wrote: »
    No chance. people have done their bit. If they made a balls of it resign.

A very short extension followed by a clear plan is about as much as they will get away with.

Exactly! I don't think people would take another 3 week lockdown. I haven't seen my GF since lockdown because we live in separate households

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Rubbish. I have it on good authority that Varadkar, Harris and Holohan read this thread from start to finish before every Covid-19 meeting. They'd be fools not to.

On good authority, eh? :)
    Tbh it wouldn't surprise me at all that they were kept informed of the pulse or mood in the country in various ways, and boards is probably one of the sources for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Why are people still using the word lockdown??

There has been nothing close to a lockdown in Ireland and people are crying about loosing their minds.

Kids aren't as bad as these morons.

Nothing close to a lockdown? we've never seen anything like this in the history of our state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Exactly! I don't think people would take another 3 week lockdown. I haven't seen my GF since lockdown because we live in separate households

Ahaaaa!! I had forgotten about this aspect. No wonder there are frayed tempers about these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

coastwatch wrote: »
    Yep, an awful lot worse

No true, they know what the people want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wombatman wrote: »
    Maybe we are seeing the "“behavioral fatigue” the British predicted?
    its the manager to dictate the volume of people in the store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

<mod edit> Not okay to post that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What's the story about contact tracing? Has it failed here in Ireland? I know someone who had to go to hospital 2 weeks ago. The person is now sick, waiting on a test. Not once was she called and notified and asked to isolate in case she was infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A very short extension followed by a clear plan is about as much as they will get away with.

People have done their bit? Laughable. The government didn't create the virus. Why do you think China locked down COMPLETELY the worst affected areas for THREE months? The west is a joke.

How upsetting for you :( Wishing your family the best.

Thanks for your support- I was hoping that the nursing home in question was one of the lucky ones not affected by Covid-19 and I guess curiosity got the better of me. They've isolated all clients in their rooms now- obviously visitors have been banned for weeks but only recently have they started the room only isolation so things must have escalated in recent times.
    I know they're doing their best under the circumstances but the figure i quoted for this nursing home alone, just shows how bad things are out there- these vulnerable people really do need all of our support at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Like he's the only one who's said it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

This thread is certainly evidence of that :)

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nothing close to a lockdown? we've never seen anything like this in the history of our state

Local parks are packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That's not what i reported. Couples where both are healthy enough to go around should not be both shopping at the same time

How would you know their health status? Physical and mental.

You're well aware there are potential valid reasons for more than one person from a household to be shopping together.

People will happily sign up to Love Island for two months but can't take a life saving lockdown. The west is hilarious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,819 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Lucky you - you be broken up if you lived together ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

On good authority, eh? :)
    Tbh it wouldn't surprise me at all that they were kept informed of the pulse or mood in the country in various ways, and boards is probably one of the sources for that.

Yeah, this thread isn't the pulse of the country though. In real life, I find people are much more rational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Local parks are packed.

Yep. And the daughter told me they were having picnics at the foot of the Rock of Cashel last weekend.

The next of Kin would/should be made aware of the situation in the nursing home at anyone time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

1st World problem

"People" will you be out protesting if the restrictions aren't lifted?

road_high wrote: »
    With all due respect it’s not as cut and dry. People have huge bills and repayments to meet, put food on the table etc. These are not selfish motivations

Nobody is going to starve from this. The government are paying an amount of people's wages. Those in the essential services such as nurses, retail workers etc live hand to mouth like this all the time and they manage. I don't really care if people can't have their usual luxuries during a once in a lifetime pandemic situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Local parks are packed.

Yep same here, but wait for some smart ass saying that nobody is going out and people are perfectly respecting the restrictions.
    There is a green in front of my house, some neighbors are having a chat right now, the weather is too nice for the lock down i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yep. And the daughter told me they were having picnics at the foot of the Rock of Cashel last weekend.

Madness. Mark my words restrictions aren't going anywhere and will need to be properly enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

1641 wrote: »
    Belgium include care homes, etc. in their numbers , unlike many others (including neighbours Holland).

thanks, that would do it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Local parks are packed.
    Allegedly! Where are the pics?

Fann Linn wrote: »

Hope you told her to cop on?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The next of Kin would/should be made aware of the situation in the nursing home at anyone time.

So, just FYI, no they definitely are not stating anything about the virus to next of kin- the next of kin is elderly too- but I believe there's no onus on the nursing home to tell people that the virus is within the building (but quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here)- at least none that i know of- obviously if the client does get covid-19, then yes, next of kin will be informed.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Allegedly! Where are the pics?

Go to your local park and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

No true, they know what the people want!

Yes, all of this to end.
    So do we all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    There is a green in front of my house, some neighbors are having a chat right now...

Jesus H Christ. Whatever next :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hope you told her to cop on?

She was on her way home from work and saw them there.

So, just FYI, no they definitely are not stating anything about the virus to next of kin- the next of kin is elderly too- but I believe there's no onus on the nursing home to tell people that the virus is within the building (but quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here)- at least none that i know of- obviously if the client does get covid-19, then yes, next of kin will be informed.

I would still think if next of kin asked the question, the nursing home would have to tell them if any resident had the virus - purely on the basis that no resident is a prisoner, and if they knew they may have the option of moving out.

I was basing my original comment on a private nursing homes communication and assumed it was standard practice as why would they bother telling people otherwise.

No need to as it's beside the Garda station. Don't imagine what annoys you is widespread. To quote the CMO again, it's most people doing most things most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

owlbethere wrote: »
    What's the story about contact tracing? Has it failed here in Ireland? I know someone who had to go to hospital 2 weeks ago. The person is now sick, waiting on a test. Not once was she called and notified and asked to isolate in case she was infected.

Contact tracing is performed on positive cases and contacts of known positive cases.
    If they're still waiting on a test why would they be contacted when their status is unknown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I went out for a 5k cycle yesterday there were teenagers everywhere out breaking the curfew

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I went out for a 5k cycle yesterday there were teenagers everywhere out breaking the curfew
    What did you see again?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Well, restrictions are still in place and will be till 5th May. Numbers going into hospital and ICU are stable, a key factor, testing system aiming to get to 48 hour turnaround and go back to the looser case definition. Meanwhile planning underway to decide how to get out of this, hopefully from the 5th May. And it's another lovely day!

Yeah maybe we're doing the right thing or maybe not, maybe just exhausting ourselves and money before the race has begun.
    Hard to say!don't think anyone knows.
    In 8 weeks or 7 years time we'll look back and it might appear as if some countries were spot on in their approach or it might be obvious they were luckiest or everyone might end up in the exact same boat.
    Who knows!

What did you see again?

you know it's 2km radius??

Everyone is pretty much 2 metres apart in mine. It might look busy, but when you look closer you see that social distancing is being observed

Yeah maybe we're doing the right thing or maybe not, maybe just exhausting ourselves and money before the race has begun.
    Hard to say!don't think anyone knows.
    In 8 weeks or 7 years time we'll look back and it might appear as if some countries were spot on in their approach or it might be obvious they were luckiest or everyone might end up in the exact same boat.
    Who knows!
    Stay positive!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That would be because of the memos you mentioned about the "community spread being huge"...
    Just heard there is new memos going around in the HSE today the community spread is huge and the restrictions aren't working.

They are calling vulnerable people who aren't over 70 encouraging them to cocoon.
    Unfortunately it appears to be true. I found the memo floating around myself. :eek:;)

509806.png

No need to as it's beside the Garda station. Don't imagine what annoys you is widespread. To quote the CMO again, it's most people doing most things most of the time.

Oh did it come across as if I was annoyed?

I was replying to someone saying this is a lockdown. I pointed out that local parks are packed.

It's not a lockdown.

you know it's 2km radius??
    Yeah, I am more amused at the distance cycled and how the outraged poster was also "breaking the curfew".

Everyone is pretty much 2 metres apart in mine. It might look busy, but when you look closer you see that social distancing is being observed

Why are people calling it a lockdown then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement