Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Positive George out today in spots!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

is_that_so wrote: »
    Allegedly! Where are the pics?

I would be shocked if your local park is not very busy,honestly. Im not one to make a big fuss of this as I think most people generally keep distance and even at that a few extra infections isnt going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but my two local parks which I passed through today were the absolute busiest I've ever seen them in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simon Harris getting grayer by the day.

The stress on all front line workers dealing first hand with Covid-19 will haunt the world for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wadacrack wrote: »

No wonder more cases picked up. They had been testing 50k a day previously. 70k today. So 20k more for about 2k more cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The stress on all front line workers dealing first hand with Covid-19 will haunt the world for a generation.

Yes he's completely out of his depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why are people calling it a lockdown then?

Because they're wrong. It isn't a lockdown and was never supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Madness. Mark my words restrictions aren't going anywhere and will need to be properly enforced.

On the spot fines for first time offenders. Electronic tagging for repeat offenders. Tazer for anyone who diaobeys or doesn't comply immediately with law enforcement. The possibility of detention/internment camps for repeat offenders should also be explored. There are several possibilities that could be used for such a purpose, the marts are closed for example and could quickly be turned into secure detention facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes he's completely out of his depth

Everyone in to world is out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Cycling - unnecessary evil?
    Don't see the point in putting yourself at risk
    Seems only logical to ban it

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I would still think if next of kin asked the question, the nursing home would have to tell them if any resident had the virus - purely on the basis that no resident is a prisoner, and if they knew they may have the option of moving out.

I was basing my original comment on a private nursing homes communication and assumed it was standard practice as why would they bother telling people otherwise.

You've raised a good point Ace2007.

In my particular case, I think the elderly next of kin (spouse) is probably better off not knowing this information- it would just be too stressful. I'm pretty certain they haven't asked the question or at least I'm pretty certain the nursing home (which is private) hasn't said anything to him on covid-19 being present there in the home. I imagine they wish to limit panic and anxiety to relatives.

I actually don't know what the best practice is here in this situation- tell all next of kin many patients have died due to covid and others are affected or only communicate with those relatives who have patients/clients affected by the illness? Wouldn't mind a definitive answer if anyone out there has this knowledge and works in the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

quokula wrote: »
    Other illnesses still exist. People still get the flu. Being sick doesn't automatically mean you must have this particular virus.

You don't say. My point is these tests took over 2 weeks for results to come back. One of these people visited hospital with the symptoms as they already have a serious medical condition and were very worried. A nurse and doctor told them they were sure they had it bit obviously couldn't confirm until the test came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,819 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Because they're wrong. It isn't a lockdown and was never supposed to be.

It's why i usually write "lock down", because despite people calling it that - it's anything but

I went out for a 5k cycle yesterday there were teenagers everywhere out breaking the curfew

Like the beer that post is as weak as piss.

Lots of people having drinks in other households over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Jesus H Christ. Whatever next :eek:

that's why the restrictions are not working here, people dont give a feck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Seriously?

You know we have had HSE doctors on here sayimg things good and they haven't seen the ****show some on here are saying is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mic 1972 wrote: »

They're not?

Hospitalisations are levelling off anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There is a green in front of my house, some neighbors are having a chat right now...
    Jesus H Christ. Whatever next :eek:

:P

Go to your local park and see.

The one in the closest town to me is empty any time I've had to pass it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Source?

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would be shocked if your local park is not very busy,honestly. Im not one to make a big fuss of this as I think most people generally keep distance and even at that a few extra infections isnt going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but my two local parks which I passed through today were the absolute busiest I've ever seen them in my life
    It is easily within 2km walk of a lot of people. Keep your distance and and you're following the guidelines. People in parks doesn't mean its being flouted, they probably have nowhere else to take exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Oh did it come across as if I was annoyed?

I was replying to someone saying this is a lockdown. I pointed out that local parks are packed.

It's not a lockdown.

Unfortunately so
    Ireland is following in the footsteps of Italy/Spain which started with a soft lock down and 2 months down the line had to restrict because the numbers weren't decreasing.
    We are running at almost 1K new cases per day, for a 5 million people country it's not small at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How is it Leo's fault that the virus won't be gone until it's gone?

Is it his fault that people are scruff bags and have no sense of hygiene?

It will be his fault if the policy they adopted fails. The fact is, there are a great many respected experts who would not be in full agreement with the experts advising the government. Once, however, the government nailed their colours to the mast, we never going to see a contrary opinion gain traction in the media. I genuinely hope that they got it right and I'm sure all of the experts were both right and wrong in certain aspects, but they have, at best, until May 5th before it breaks down irretrievably. I suspect that, despite anything we hear in the meantime, they will ease restrictions on the 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Source?

Off-licence I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

owlbethere wrote: »
    What's the story about contact tracing? Has it failed here in Ireland? I know someone who had to go to hospital 2 weeks ago. The person is now sick, waiting on a test. Not once was she called and notified and asked to isolate in case she was infected.
    was s/he in contact with a gp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I went out for a 5k cycle yesterday there were teenagers everywhere out breaking the curfew

Is 2km not also for cyclists? When were teenagers curfewed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

polesheep wrote: »
    It will be his fault if the policy they adopted fails. The fact is, there are a great many respected experts who would not be in full agreement with the experts advising the government. Once, however, the government nailed their colours to the mast, we never going to see a contrary opinion gain traction in the media. I genuinely hope that they got it right and I'm sure all of the experts were both right and wrong in certain aspects, but they have, at best, until May 5th before it breaks down irretrievably. I suspect that, despite anything we hear in the meantime, they will ease restrictions on the 5th.

Who are these experts you speak?

So you think it would have went down well if Leo ignored the advice of the countries CMO?

Done the opposite of what every country in the world has done?

Can you imagine the accusations about Denis Ó Brien or something to that affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oh dear. One has never heard of the "circuit", the ability to do repetitive loops within a 2km radius.

You don't even need to do multiple loops. Cycling the circle marked out by the 2km radius would be more than 12km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Why wasn't I invited?

Wait do people here think the rules are being complied with by 100% of the population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fr336 wrote: »
    Nobody is going to starve from this. The government are paying an amount of people's wages. Those in the essential services such as nurses, retail workers etc live hand to mouth like this all the time and they manage. I don't really care if people can't have their usual luxuries during a once in a lifetime pandemic situation.

The government have clearly stated that paying an amount of people's wages is not sustainable beyond 3 months. Their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

What time is tonight's HSE update?

Wait do people here think the rules are being complied with by 100% of the population?
    No, it was never expected. 80%+ is very good and there seem to be relatively few rule breakers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

laurah591 wrote: »

Half six

Shortly - 6.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In 6 minutes apparently.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Time to bring in random sample testing of the population to determine asymptomatic prevalence of covid19. This will also feed into decisions on lifting restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No, it was never expected. 80%+ is very good and there seem to be relatively few rule breakers.

Heard a news report you need over 90% to get the benefits.

I get the impression the ones who are staying at home, are the people that like staying at home anyway. (And nothing wrong with that) .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Cycling - unnecessary evil?
    Don't see the point in putting yourself at risk
    Seems only logical to ban it

Had a fúcker cycling towards me on a narrow footpath this afternoon expecting me to step off on to the road, WTF! Gave me a filthy look as he moved onto the road less than 2m in front of me. Lucky for him that I was in such a calm mood. Normally I'd have blown a gasket.

Time to bring in random sample testing of the population to determine asymptomatic prevalence of covid19. This will also feed into decisions on lifting restrictions.
    There will be something announced tomorrow I think, on antibody testing otherwise possible broadening of the definition in the next week or so if testing system is ready.

Everyone in to world is out of their depth.

I agree, this pandemic is new for everyone and very hard to know how to deal with good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Pubs closed til September 1st apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

paddythere wrote: »

WhatsApp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

work in one was told yesterday july

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

WhatsApp?

ThatsCrap

Oh dear. One has never heard of the "circuit", the ability to do repetitive loops within a 2km radius.

Your "spin" is rather transparent.

My apologies as I didn't contemplate repetitive cycling in same 2km area, I thought all in one 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

mean gene wrote: »
    work in one was told yesterday july

How will they control social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

WhatsApp?

My uncle is head chef in a pub, got a letter from office of Taoiseach. Few others have said they got the letter too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

My uncle is head chef in a pub, got a letter from office of Taoiseach. Few others have said they got the letter too

What a crock of ****e

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement