Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

growleaves wrote: »
    You can't hold Leo or other politicians responsible for all the deaths. Many of the deaths seem to have been 80 year olds who died of upper respiratory tract infections.

Are we waiting on a vaccine or an elixir that grants immortality?

It will be interesting to compare the overall mortality rates of 2020 to 2019, 2018, 2017 etc.

Just give up,its like banging your head against a wall.

The Germans visited Ireland in the 40s on a u-boat. They docked in Donegal and were greeted by the locals who took them all the way down and back to Galway on a piss up.
    The following message was sent back to Germany from the uboat

"The Irish are willing to die for their country but not willing to fight for it"

On a positive spin,i think leo and co are the best people to get what is left of the economy going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

C'mon tae fcuk with the news HSE before stupid Boards crashes again.

Cause and effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, I am more amused at the distance cycled and how the outraged poster was also "breaking the curfew".

They could very well have cycled 5km within 2km of their house. A huge amount of road within a 2km radius of my home, could probably rack up 20+ km without retracing any stretch. Boring view however.

As an aside; I personally think cycling is by far the lesser of the evils vs. walking/jogging. Any jogs I've went on in the park across the road I spend half my time off the path as some absolute ignorant twits couldn't budge an inch. Tonnes of couples and 3 person groups walking to and that's the full path gone. With cycling, bar those who are not able to cycle on the road for whatever reason, you've typically plenty of distance and if people can avoid cycling in groups, you're unlikely to be exposed or expose others. Also for the majority cycling is not an excessively breathless form of exercise versus jogging which has people breathing up a long when running passed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

fritzelly wrote: »

But...but a fella on boards seend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

owlbethere wrote: »
    +100 too. When all this is over, we definitely need to reevaluate the way we live our lives. Getting up early in the morning, to earn a wage that doesn't even pay a mortgage, never mind a rent. Things have definitely slowed down and more calmer.

I'd add in the loss of shopping and the general consumerist society we've become isn't a bad thing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Shops and parks I’m hearing packed today and my mate is on the road said roads a lot busier today than last few days and weeks we only have ourselves to blame for the lockdown to continue further

Are you sure? My mate Sandra's cousin said the roads were empty and she's never wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

It suggests to me a lack of organisation and a certain level of chaos.

Timeframes are artifical. Get the data out when ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

catrat12 wrote: »
    Shops and parks I’m hearing packed today and my mate is on the road said roads a lot busier today than last few days and weeks we only have ourselves to blame for the lockdown to continue further

i noticed a significant increase in traffic on the roads today.

I'd add in the loss of shopping and the general consumerist society we've become isn't a bad thing either.

People are still shopping for sure, although socially distancing.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Timeframes are artifical. Get the data out when ready.

A lot of the other countries can publish their data at the same time every day. Why can't we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Two news headlines today.

Headline 1. Government say the spread of covid 19 is under control

Headline 2. Spread of covid 19 in nursing homes is out of control and a national emergency

And they say Trump bullsh*ts!
    The government said the virus was under control at the start of the pandemic and said hospitals and nursing homes should not restrict visitors... they also said schools wouldn’t close until they suddenly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Two news headlines today.

Headline 1. Government say the spread of covid 19 is under control

Headline 2. Spread of covid 19 in nursing homes is out of control and a national emergency

And they say Trump bullsh*ts!

Well, if you look at the number of cases per million, Ireland is only 2 spots behind Italy

People are still shopping for sure, although socially distancing.

Supermarket shopping for food is a necessity.

I mean the unnecessary shopping in shopping centres for stuff we don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The break from the rat race must be great for children getting to spend so much time with their parents.

Not where I live........Most of the kids are running wild through the area from morning till night, kids from different families all mixing together, I thought that was a recipe for disaster regarding passing on the virus........

Why are people calling it a lockdown then?

It’s never really been a lockdown given that you can go outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,820 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Well, if you look at the number of cases per million, Ireland is only 2 spots behind Italy

We beat them in '94, we might beat them again - is that what your saying?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    We beat them in '94, we might beat them again - is that what your saying?

well, kind of ;)

A lot of the other countries can publish their data at the same time every day. Why can't we.

Why not wait. What is this, your entertainment. I personally think a lot of problems in modern industry, software and everything is is pushing out bad products to a timeframe rather than when ready. The UK figures seem nonsense anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

froog wrote: »
    i noticed a significant increase in traffic on the roads today.
    I notice there are more cars about every time I look out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Tomrota wrote: »
    The government said the virus was under control at the start of the pandemic and said hospitals and nursing homes should not restrict visitors... they also said schools wouldn’t close until they suddenly did.

The government has been weeks behind at every juncture---and unfortunately, this virus doesn't suffer fools gladly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mic 1972 wrote: »

And tests per capita numbers?

We're saved. There's rain coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

43 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

43 deaths. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So 7PM now I imagine for the briefing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why not wait. What is this, your entertainment. I personally think a lot of problems in modern industry, software and everything is is pushing out bad products to a timeframe rather than when ready. The UK figures seem nonsense anyway.

It seems a bit chaotic to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, my mam and dad are actually in lockdown in Spain now for weeks at this stage. One of them can go out once a day, to the farmacía or the supermercado.
    They don't f*ck around either, my 66 year old mother has been stopped twice by the police going to the shops, and had to explain exactly what she's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Numbers pretty much in line with expectations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

So numbers still rising, even if it's ever so slightly, hopefully they start going downward soon, COME ON IRELAND

Outside China theres no lockdown where that isnt true.

And tests per capita numbers?

same, 2 spots below italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

43 deaths

RIP today's 43

The numbers are huge.

• Advertisement

Curve is clearly being flattened.

About 5% increase. Falling slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The numbers are huge.

Bad as they are, and every death is a grieving family, they are most certainly not huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ever notice the way that when the figures are really bad they are released after the Six One News?

It's not a coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ever notice the way that when the figures are really bad they are released after the Six One News?

It's not a coincidence

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

The numbers are huge.

Compared to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Numbers very low from Germany today.

Can we read that the backlog of 30k sent over has pretty much been cleared?

The numbers are huge.

Not really. Cases are falling. Deaths are disappointing but its still relatively stagnant in terms of daily changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's not a coincidence

Stop talking nonsense.

The variance between male and female is not as stark here as in the UK where it's now 2:1 ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Intensive care numbers have dropped again

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Bad as they are, and every death is a grieving family, they are most certainly not huge.

For a small country like ours, 43 deaths seems huge.

Numbers in ICU drop again today

It does look like the virus is next to non-existant outside the care homes. We will need a fairly thorough investigation of nursing homes after all this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement