Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Philip Nolan talking about the models was quite interesting & good inforamtion in it.

Despite todays deaths.
    We are doing quite well. ICU is very encouraging.

If everyone can stay with the social distancing for the next 2 months we could be in good shape to start lifting some restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

fullstop wrote: »
    Your figures are incorrect.

I amended it, it''s 43 not 53
    but it's still an increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Ace2007 wrote: »
    There was only 8 today? so who were the others?

As I pointed out earlier, many people from nursing homes are taken into hospital.
    Whatever are you going to do when this is all over? You'll be distraught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did George just insinuate that the HSE are trying to kill elderly people?

I much as I don't like him even I wouldn't say he'd say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    You are correct it's 43, my bad
    but it's still an increase. In fact this is now our new peak

Mon = 14
    Tue = 41
    Wed = 38
    Today = 43

They've even said in the press conference death rates take longer to change. You can't work off the death rate. Look at Italy, it takes much longer for the death rate to change. These are people who have been quite sick for a long period of time

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Given the nature of nursing homes, how would they successfully beat it?

Whatever about beating it,i know several local people (and few in other counties),who have taken parent,grand parents and elderly relatives out of nursing/care homes

Given people dying in droves in nursing homes,who can argue with em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Deaths in the last few days

Mon = 14
    Tue = 41
    Wed = 38
    Today = 43

I'm seeing an increase here

Monday was not 14 either - just delete you post and start again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

God Bless all the HSE, Care Home and Nursing Home staff as many of them now have the virus. Prayers and thoughts are with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So what were the riveting and insightful journalist questions today?

• Advertisement

Geroge lee asking some stupid questions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

walshb wrote: »

Are you killing people in nursing homes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

polesheep wrote: »
    Strip out the nursing home deaths and there is no reason why 5th of May is not still feasible.

What happens in your scenario when the virus is out of control again within weeks as has been pointed out at the press conference?

Everything gets shut down again in short order.

'Normality' is not returning on May 5th. Pubs are not going to open, people won't be on holidays abroad.

They could try opening construction and other niches, see how it works, but when cases spike restrictions are reimposed.

Seems to me this is our new reality unfortunately until a vaccine.

Ah, 24 hour turnaround guidance from WHO.

After today's update Ireland is now one spot behind Italy for total number of cases per million

Italy = 2,794
    Ireland = 2,688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You are correct it's 43, my bad
    but it's still an increase. In fact this is now our new peak

Mon = 14
    Tue = 41
    Wed = 38
    Today = 43

Presented like that it looks a larger increase than it was. The average for the 5 days before that was 29.
    There were 36 the 7th of April. It may be increasing but not as quickly as it looks if you start with an outlier at the low end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

polesheep wrote: »
    Staff come and go in the hospitals and they manage to contain spread. The staff in the nursing homes are the real heroes in this pandemic. They're like soldiers sent into war without ammunition or even basic training. They need urgent support from the highly trained hospital staff.

They manage to contain the spread to the hospitals, isn't there like 150 new cases a day just from healthcare workers?

Containing it and eradicating are two very different things. With nursing homes you want to get the virus out all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

After today's update Ireland is now one spot behind Italy for total number of cases per million

Italy = 2,794
    Ireland = 2,688

Go out for a walk man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

On Pat Kenny, there was a professor from TCD taking about public health matters. He has zero clinical credentials (in the sense that he has no training to be a clinician or in public health). All his research is lab-based research. I find that everybody is now an expert on the subject.

The residential care aspect of this is going to be the "big fail" of this.

you better believe it. I posted earlier in this thread- distant relative in a nursing home in the east of the country- 7 deaths (at least) recorded on rip.ie within a 10 day period in that specific home.

to put that in perspective, there was an average of 34% death rate in nursing homes over the course of a year in a study from 2009.

So over the course of 1 year, 34 people die out of every 100.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Monday was not 14 either - just delete you post and start again

source = worldometer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'd add in the loss of shopping and the general consumerist society we've become isn't a bad thing either.

For sure. The past few weeks has thought me, we're living in a world where we are hardly allowed to be sick. We're living in a world where we're hardly allowed to be sick. Look at all the posts saying get the people back to work now. Open the economy. Get them back working for the economy and the economy is important for sure but how are businesses supposed to survive with large parts of the workforce out sick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Italy = 2,794
    Ireland = 2,688

It's a bit redundant to compare cases like that, every country tests at different rates. Some only test those that come into hospital, others test suspected cases as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Did you not watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

71 in citywest according the george lee

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

509836.png

While these figures include all deaths notified by HSE they don't comprise all deaths from COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

Arghus wrote: »
    It's a bit redundant to compare cases like that, every country tests at different rates. Some only test those that come into hospital, others test suspected cases as well.

I imagine he already knows this but it doesn't suit his narrative.

What happens in your scenario when the virus is out of control again within weeks as has been pointed out at the press conference?

Everything gets shut down again in short order.

'Normality' is not returning on May 5th. Pubs are not going to open, people won't be on holidays abroad.

They could try opening construction and other niches, see how it works, but when cases spike restrictions are reimposed.

Seems to me this is our new reality unfortunately until a vaccine.

I never mentioned normality. The Taoiseach is planning for an easement of restrictions on My 5th (all going well).

source = worldometer

That was Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Its sad when people we love die.
    I know there are lots of people in nursing homes who are reasonably healthy and have a decent quality of life.

Some people in nursing homes are incontinent and/or have some type of dimentia.

I, like millions of others have often pondered what I would like to happen to me if I was in a home, basically just a shell of myself.

If this was the case I think this virus would be a godsend for me. I know my adult children and my grandkids would be sad but they know how I feel and may be able to feel some comfort for me also.

So a certain percent of deaths in nursing homes could be seen as a kind act of fate, or God if your a believer?

Im not saying the virus is good or old people dying is good. I'm saying this is how I would want it if it was me and I'm sure some of the people who died would have felt this way too.

Im almost afraid to post this because I'm sure there is many posters scanning for posts like this just to declare their outrage.

Jesus, there are so many people on here who seem to be loving this. Looking for everything that they can spin as a disaster, and shouting it as loud as they can

They’re welcome to this space. I’m out. Don’t want to be sharing the same board as people who’s objective seeks to be to drag everyone down into the misery that they seem to relish inhabiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Its sad when people we love die.
    I know there are lots of people in nursing homes who are reasonably healthy and have a decent quality of life.

Some people in nursing homes are incontinent and/or have some type of dimentia.

I, like millions of others have often pondered what I would like to happen to me if I was in a home, basically just a shell of myself.

If this was the case I think this virus would be a godsend for me. I know my adult children and my grandkids would be sad but they know how I feel and may be able to feel some comfort for me also.

So a certain percent of deaths in nursing homes could be seen as a kind act of fate, or God if your a believer?

Im not saying the virus is good or old people dying is good. I'm saying this is how I would want it if it was me and I'm sure some of the people who died would have felt this way too.

Im almost afraid to post this because I'm sure there is many posters scanning for posts like this just to declare their outrage.

There are less traumatic ways of dying.

On Pat Kenny, there was a professor from TCD taking about public health matters. He has zero clinical credentials (in the sense that he has no training to be a clinician or in public health). All his research is lab-based research. I find that everybody is now an expert on the subject.

Play nice. Some would say that there are medical doctors are making out like they are epidemiologists. And don't forget, a vaccine if it comes will come from a lab. Combined expertise will deliver the best outcome. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some fairly hopeful words there, intimating we can't shut up shop forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm comparing Ireland today to Italy today, not 4 weeks ago
    The total cases is the sum of all cases from the beginning, if anything Ireland was faster than Italy to get to this level

Not sure of the relevance then. The premise of any measures was not to reduce cases but reduce the rate of cases such that the health service could cope and that doctors and nurses wouldn't have to decide which of multiple people needing critical care would get the equipment and the chance to live. In Italy they were having to make those choices. That hasn't happened in Ireland.

So, yeah...I don't agree with your narrative about Ireland being at the same level as Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

which curve?
    the daily deaths have reached a new high today, no sign of a decrease there

Well the latest increment is 5

Some would see that as a SIGN of an impending decrease

Arghus wrote: »

Tests per million

Italy = 19,490
    Ireland = 18,358

they are absolutely comparable

Well the latest increment is 5

Some would see that as a SIGN of an impending decrease

How can an increment be considered a decrease?
    Reality can be sugarcoated in many ways but numbers speak for themselves

Some fairly hopeful words there, intimating we can't shut up shop forever.

Yeah just caught the end of its, Nolan saying these restrictions and continued restrictions aren't viable long term

George Lee is an idiot

• Advertisement

Tests per million

Italy = 19,490
    Ireland = 18,358

they are absolutely comparable

What are our death rate per million compared

I think it might be not all bad news,we are all going to have to get it eventually to develop,some sort immunity??

So long as our healthcare dont collaspe and we can reign back nursing home deaths,hopefully we can come out of this again stronger as a country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Realistically we are 7 days or so off hitting the 100 deaths per day

Frightening

Praying for the frontline staff and their families

This will have an awful affect on the mental health of those staff. Seeing that much death isn't good for the mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Best to try to eliminate this altogether in the next few months rather than lifting and imposing restrictions until a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

source = worldometer

Well their figures not completely reliable.

Me go sleepity bye byes now

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Me go sleepity bye byes now

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post of the day surely

Best to try to eliminate this altogether in the next few months rather than lifting and imposing restrictions until a vaccine.
    Philip Nolan says continued restrictions are not a long-term strategy he favours, 0.7 is manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

17000 new cases in France. They must be testing a LOT.

Not sure of the relevance then. The premise of any measures was not to reduce cases but reduce the rate of cases such that the health service could cope and that doctors and nurses wouldn't have to decide which of multiple people needing critical care would get the equipment and the chance to live. In Italy they were having to make those choices. That hasn't happened in Ireland.

So, yeah...I don't agree with your narrative about Ireland being at the same level as Italy.

I'm only looking at numbers, there is no personal narrative in there

The number of cases per million is pretty much the same as Italy, whether we are going to cope or not is a completely different argument that I can't answer
    On the other hand Italy has seen a decrease in the daily cases while we are still registering significant increases

I even put "SIGN" in biggity wiggity typie thingys for you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement