Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We could actually get it down to zero in a couple of months. This would reduce the chances of community infection hugely. Those with symptoms would still need to self isolate. And we'd have to restrict visitors to the country.

But it would mean the elderly could meet their children and grandchildren with low risk of infection.

why didn't we do this from day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Mr.S wrote: »
    It’s painfully obvious you are a troll, but I suppose ya gotta get your kicks somewhere.

Here you go Mr Moderator. From the horse's mouth. Btw I have no affiliation with this person. 189 Bulgarians arrived on a full flight. And I cannot go more than 2km from my house and I couldn't attend my relatives funeral.

This nonsense again.

Its cargo planes.

You can apologise any time you want...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

leavingirl wrote: »
    Check out the @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor on twitter. If he turns the working class on the government, it will not end well for FFG.

:pac::pac::pac:

He's not Jesus, he doesn't command a following from the working class. Are you quite well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

A fruit farm has confirmed that they flew them over. I rechecked there but their website has crashed confirming their statement saying they are essential workers.

Now their produce is either picked or it will rot. And it goes to your supermarkets that you frequent. I previously posted concerns about their accommodation.

And the reason eastern Europeans have been coming year after year to do work that is back breaking and pays poorly predates the last recession. We Irish are both not willing to do such tough work nor accept the pay on offer. We've sneered at Brexit Brits and yet we're doing the exact same thing.

It's part of a much wider issue about how advanced economies rely heavily on migrants. It's only bring noticed now in both a good and a negative way.

Wait, Gemma?

Lame. Lad. Lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The keelings thing is true. the site is down at the moment but they did release a statement
    https://twitter.com/keelingsfruits/status/1250846786337624066?s=20

Screenshot of statement
    FcA8JkR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

This lockdown will work, I think. It's slowed the spread and bought us time. But we all need to have some sort of PPE on when it gets eased, face masks in particular. If everyone is wearing some sort of face mask, we can stop the virus dead in its tracks, just like in Wuhan and Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

why didn't we do this from day one?

Always said our best chance of keeping this low was restrictions starting in late February.

Deaths today are directly linked to bad decisions in late Feb/early March and poor decisions in general such as a failure to protect nursing homes even though we had weeks of notice from Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Havent been following this thread in weeks, honestly not even going to try catch up.

But have to login to get things off chest.

It's very apparent things are starting to pickup now at work. We were waiting and waiting for weeks, and at times we were often saying "have we dodged a bullet?" while looking at the headlines from the UK and US.

Its been a slow trickle, and thank god we acted earlier than other countries. It gave us time to prepare but this week I've been starting to feel the full whack of it. I really hope it doesn't get any worse than this.

I lost a colleague to covid19 and it really changes everything when it stops being just headlines or patients who are strangers, and suddenly you can put a more personal name and face to the numbers we hear about.

Any other healthcare workers on here?

Hows the PPE situation going for you? We're managing thankfully but my god, I've had to wear full head to toe PPE for upwards of an hour at a time and it's hard going. I feel physically sick in them and its hard to breathe. It hurts your face so much after about 30 minutes.

Today I had to hold back feelings of wanting to vomit.
    My goggles had puddles of sweat building up inside them.

Don't know how anybody could do it for more than 1 hour at time without a break.

A lot of the Chinese stuff we're receiving is terrible quality. Utter crap.

I'm appalled when I enter nursing homes. I've had covid positive patients and when we enter the nursing home in full PPE you have entire staff just walking around directly dealing with these patients with only so much as some vinyl gloves (only good for making sandwiches). No gowns, no masks, no face protection.

On a brighter note, what makes me smile so much is the support we're getting from the young ones. The kids off school.

They always wave, cheer at us, give us the biggest smiles. The amount of drawn pictures giving us support brings a tear to my eye.
    Honestly after a rough day such a simple thing can make me feel so much better. Keep up the good fight ye legends!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Check out the @thenotoriousmma Conor McGregor on twitter. If he turns the working class on the government, it will not end well for FFG.

1EM0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭quokula

Here you go Mr Moderator. From the horse's mouth. Btw I have no affiliation with this person. 189 Bulgarians arrived on a full flight. And I cannot go more than 2km from my house and I couldn't attend my relatives funeral.

If you get a job that involves supplying food for the country then you can freely travel more than 2km to do it.

Back to the Facebook groups I think ;)
    You may want to revise that, it is accurate. I don't agree with the poster labelling the politicians as traitors. She is expressing understandable frustration at a family relative passing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

LRNM wrote: »

Any other healthcare workers on here?

Depends.

We are all, in the main, professors of medicine and epidemiology on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

quokula wrote: »
    If you get a job that involves supplying food for the country then you can freely travel more than 2km to do it.

In fairness flying those workers in with the current restrictions is absolutely ridiculous, especially with our current high unemployment rate. Allowing this to happen is taking the piss out of Irish people obeying the restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Depends.

This is a house of learned doctors!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There are plane loads of people arriving into Ireland every day and I was not allowd to attend an elderly relatives funeral.

Leo Varadkar - traitor
    Simon Harris - traitor
    Simon Coveny - traitor
    And now Micheal Martin - traitor

I predict a mass protest on the streets soon.

You use the term "soon" loosely, I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Anyone watching Prime time there?

The conclusion was that reported infections are vastly under reported.
    80% of cases are Asymptomatic and most of the others are unreported.
    The actual mortality rate is somewhere between 0.1%(best case scenario) and 0,5%(worst case scenario)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jackboy wrote: »
    In fairness flying those workers in with the current restrictions is absolutely ridiculous, especially with our current high unemployment rate. Allowing this to happen is taking the piss out of Irish people obeying the restrictions.

Would you pick fruit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

plenty of people piling on that facebook post (2.3k comments, 6.5k shares) saying it's a disgrace, they'll never buy from that company again...

wonder would they pick the fruit?

• Advertisement

It’s really not, if the food supply collapses that would be utterly catastrophic. Just because there are unemployed people doesn’t mean they can all do this work effectively without any training from experienced workers. Nobody from Bulgaria is materially more likely to be carrying the virus than someone from Ireland, and they will be following all the same rules as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depends.

Except for you Kermit ...your real name is Smilla, you're only responsible for snow on here :D

plenty of people piling on that facebook post (2.3k comments, 6.5k shares) saying it's a disgrace, they'll never buy from that company again...

wonder would they pick the fruit?

They would like fook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Maybe Keelings should pay a proper wage for fruit picking then more people would be likely to do it.

Would you pick fruit?

Ridiculous deflection.

Ridiculous deflection.

Answer the question, would you?
    You would in your bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They could have been in quarantine for 2 weeks before they flew.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Anyone have a general idea what formula and parameter values get us an R value < 1?

Its measured roughly over a 2 week period, considered to be the infectious period. They likely take a day of the week or perhaps even an entire week to be more accurate, then look at two weeks forward of that. Total number of cases for week 3 divided by total number of cases for week 1 gives you the R0.

Thats a very rough description of what is more likely a more refined formula!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I work in the food industry.
    It’s deemed an essential industry and got a letter from work saying we can travel to and from work.
    No restrictions on distance.

You don’t know what you’re on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Depends.

Who also moonlight in global finance, air transport and sociology. Truly a talented bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Any predictions of what the easing of restrictions will mean for tourism and various sites like Blarney, Foto Wildlife etc...? Or put another way... how screwed is tourism in Ireland?

quokula wrote: »
    Nobody from Bulgaria is materially more likely to be carrying the virus than someone from Ireland, and they will be following all the same rules as everyone else.

In that case airports should be fully opened again as closing them makes no difference to the spread of the virus in Ireland.

If they arrived together in a plane they have already flaunted our rules. If one person in the plane had the virus now several may have it.

Look at “her” post history, a definite troll.

As before - there are not planes full of people arriving into Dublin every day.

We knew that farms / growers would need to fly in workers, this was all over the press. I agree it’s a bit mad that we need to do that, but I suppose someone has to?

To say that this is happening every day, with full planes (plural) is not true.
    I'm not aware of said posters history. I believe my previous post touched on the why for seasonal workers.

And the likes of gemma would not last a day on such a fruit farm.

People just need to step back, that's all I'm really saying

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Maybe Keelings should pay a proper wage for fruit picking then more people would be likely to do it.

Would you pay a fair price for them in the shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

The actual mortality rate is somewhere between 0.1%(best case scenario) and 0,5%(worst case scenario)

80 percent of cases are asymptomatic? Actually, not really.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-what-proportion-are-asymptomatic/

In one sample, 80 percent were asymptomatic, but in another sample it was only 5 percent. Percentages are all over the place depending on your sample. I think it's fairer to say that in a virus as new as this, we can say with absolutely no confidence just how many people will display no symptoms.

Answer the question, would you?
    You would in your bollox

Wow, making a personal judgement about a stranger on the internet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

There are plane loads of people arriving into Ireland every day and I was not allowd to attend an elderly relatives funeral.

Leo Varadkar - traitor
    Simon Harris - traitor
    Simon Coveny - traitor
    And now Micheal Martin - traitor

I predict a mass protest on the streets soon.

Hey Gemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I watched it and I don't know what to make of it. Basically the lad on the video call, who is he? He was saying we should release the lockdown and let the virus run through the population. He was talking the economy.

I understand the importance of the economy, I really do. Without a good economy, we're fcuked. Let the virus run through the population and we will probably still be fcuked. What the lad on the video call, failed to mention was how companies will continue to operate when a large portion of the population is out sick. Not only will people be dealing with sickness, there will be deaths of family too.

To be clear, a lot of the stuff you buy in the supermarket or purchase from the likes of Amazon, are from the toils of migrants.

• Advertisement

In that case airports should be fully opened again as closing them makes no difference to the spread of the virus in Ireland.

If they arrived together in a plane they have already flaunted our rules. If one person in the plane had the virus now several may have it.

I’ll say it again. Lockdown rules don’t apply to people working in food supply. This applies to buses as much as planes. There is nothing wrong with essential workers arriving in the airport just like there’s nothing wrong with staff turning up at SuperValu every morning. That doesn’t mean everybody else should be out and about just like the straw man you brought up.

Wow, making a personal judgement about a stranger on the internet.

Wow, not answering the question. Yes or fcuking no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In her first interview since being diagnosed, Rita Wilson, 63, spoke to The Talk with Gayle King and detailed her symptoms.

“I felt extremely achy, uncomfortable, didn’t want to be touched, and then the fever started,” Wilson said, adding she suffered from “chills like I never had before.”

Wilson, an actress and singer, said her fever reached its highest temperature about nine days following the positive test results, saying it “got close to” 39C.

She also revealed she had been given the drug chloroquine, which is usually used to prevent and treat malaria and is being studied as a possible Covid-19 treatment.

However, Wilson is not sure what impact it had on her. She said: “I can only tell you that I don’t know if the drug worked or if it was just time for my fever to break, but my fever did break.”

And Wilson warned the drug had “extreme side effects”. She felt “completely nauseous” and could not walk. “My muscles felt very weak,” she said.

“I think people have to be very considerate about that drug,” the star added. “We don’t really know if it’s helpful in this case.”

Wilson also said Hollywood star Tom Hanks, also 63, had less severe symptoms than her.

The couple is now home in Los Angeles.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/rita-wilson-opens-up-on-coronavirus-ordeal-and-warns-of-treatment-side-effects-39129139.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Would you pick fruit?

What are you saying?

That it's not an honorable profession?

A bit too low brow for the Irish, is it? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Would you pay a fair price for them in the shop?

Yes....whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

LRNM wrote: »
    Havent been following this thread in weeks, honestly not even going to try catch up.

But have to login to get things off chest.

:o

That sounds at best grim but for what it's worth (which I'm sure is sod all) I, and I'm sure thousands (if not millions) like me are extremely grateful for your efforts. While a simple thank you is the best I can offer which I appreciate it's not much (if ever there was a case for understatement it's now) please don't forget that the majority of us are fully behind you and are unspeakably appreciative!

Thanks again - to you and all your colleagues :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What are you saying?

That it's not an honorable profession?

A bit too low brow for the Irish, is it? :p

Sounds like sour grapes

Odd that we are importing workers when we now have close to 1 million unemployed and when there's restrictions on going 2km down the road.

FG never really understood the meaning of their own lockdown or the fatal flaws in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Odd that we are importing workers when we now have close to 1 million unemployed and when there's restrictions on going 2km down the road.

FG never really understood the meaning of their own lockdown or the fatal flaws in it.

Do you think these fruit pickers are getting paid more then 350 a week for back breaking work?

Yes....whats your point?

3 euro a punnet or a tenner a punnet?

Let's see which of these gets bought by the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yes....whats your point?

If Irish people got €30 an hour they would pick fruit.

Would you pay €10 for a punnet of strawberrys?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement