Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Excuses!

Something you notice about many Asian countries (regardless of the political system), is that rather than seeing all the obstacles to tackling something, they seem to see all the solutions.

When you look at the Chinese response to this, rather than seeing all the excellent solutions they came up with, you can only see potential problems!

This is what stops us from being as proactive as these countries. Too many here, just have the wrong mindset. You need a problem solving mindset - not a problem creating mindset! ;)

No you need a military backed government who will oppress the population when ordered to by the government,
    You see all those lovely freedoms we have in the west, unrestricted access to the web, social media and being able to criticise the government without fear of reprisal? Yeah those countries don’t have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Xertz wrote: »
    New Zealand is in quite an unusually remote location. Take a look at flight statistics. I’m an average year 1.3 million Irish people visit Spain. That’s just Spain.

The Irish cities to London airports route alone is one of the busiest international routes on the planet. You’re talking seriously huge volumes of passengers and Ireland is also very heavily connected to most of Europe.

We also have extensive connections to North America with direct flights and indirectly we are rapidly linked to Asia via London, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt etc

Ireland is also within a very short flight of London, Paris, and several other European mégapole cities as well as the entire dense population and economic centre that sits between southeast England, Benelux, northeastern France and the northwest of Germany.

Add to that we think nothing of hopping on a plane and going skiing in the alps, and plenty were in areas that included that were directly impacted by this in northern Italy.

In comparison NZ is very remote and has a far more limited network of short haul flights. To get to and from NZ is generally a long haul flight and if you look at international travel statistics New Zealanders simply do not travel as frequently because destinations are far more expensive to reach due to geography.

Being an island in modern terms is more about being remote and having limited air connectivity. On a global scale, Ireland is about as well connected as it gets.

you should work for the IDA

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My honest assessment of PPE in my hospital is that:

There are plenty aprons, gloves, surgical masks and goggles we clean.

I would have preferred to have worn FFP2 masks, disposable face shields and better suits, but that wasn't the case.

Saying that when this all began I was pretty sure working in a hospital I was going to get this. I was somewhat at peace with that. I'm absolutely no hero, and I get plenty benefits from being a doctor, but I knew that if I was to work with COVID patients in close contact that the chances were I'd get it. I don't resent that fact. Thats just the way it is.
    I work part time as an assisted living carer for people with disabilities, many in high risk category. One client that I worked with, I flagged her back in mid March as having symptoms and requested that I get PPE but this was not provided. I continued to work with her until she was admitted to hospital but I was putting myself at serious risk of infection and never got adequate support from the agency.

Boxes of gloves are available at the office now but you're only allowed to take a certain quota and I have my own now so I didn't bother. We got an email the other day saying that due to our PPE running out, gloves are only to be used if we are bathing the clients or if we come in contact with saliva when we're feeding people. No masks have ever been provided even though we're often providing intimate care in this work.

Personally, now I'm using my own gloves and mask while working in my client's house and their family are grateful as I'm as likely to infect them as they are to infect me. I'm working from home in my other profession as well as doing this additional work so I also cut down my hours with the agency to only work with one client. That way I wouldn't be going from house to house as the other people I cared for had social inclusion hours and there's none of that going on now (social outings have been cancelled by the agency).

I feel that I'm in a position now where I have minimised my risk but that is not as a consequence of my agency and it is continuously hampered by the HSE and affiliates putting out false and misleading information. I also feel like care workers are entirely overlooked in this when they are basically operation get behind the darkies, to coin an expression from the South Park movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

theballz wrote: »
    I’ve had symptoms the last week or so, today has been absolutely horrendous. It has been one of the worst days I can remember, throughout the day i would get this horrible sensation that someone pushing down on my chest. Struggling to breathe and coughing until I got sick

Have my test tomorrow morning in tallaght, i hope I am not waiting two weeks like others for results. Though I already know that I have it.

Right now the migraine is bad. I cannot sleep, when I lie down i feel like I will choke.

I was really anxious about the test.

I went this morning. It was a rather surreal experience, so many people (was slightest surprised at the amount of couples getting tested together.)

So many amazing people there volunteering and working. The nurses who do the tests are so gentle, warm and all round amazing people. It’s run very strict which was good to see, the system was very well run and it’s good to see they are really putting in an effort to streamline the process in order to test as many as possible.

For anyone waiting to get it done. Do not worry, these are amazing people.

Everyone in this country owes them a debt that can never be repaid. It is our duty and our honor to keep this expression of hope alive in memory... for those who come after us... and those who come after them... They were the shields that guarded the realms of Ireland. And we shall never see their like again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

you should work for the IDA

Well if they’re offering any jobs I’m always happy to take a DM lol 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Our neighbours 4 houses down have been having a stream of people in all day. They’re Brazilian and run some type of shop or hopefully nothing drugs related.
    I just went to the local SuperValu for milk and it had people walking casually around chatting to each and couples shopping as well.
    Also none of the staff were wearing gloves and no sanitizer for customers coming into the shop.

Xertz wrote: »
    Well if they’re offering any jobs I’m always happy to take a DM lol 😂

big brother is always watching 👀

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Gynoid wrote: »
    Listen here, Doctor. I have been casually reading around this subject for, gosh I don't know, probably 11 or 12 weeks now and consider myself a reasonably well informed epidemiologist at this stage. I cannot understand what takes ye so long with all those years in college and in practise to get a handle on this kind of stuff. Bunch of messers. :)

😉 Lol

I went this morning. It was a rather surreal experience, so many people (was slightest surprised at the amount of couples getting tested together.)

So many amazing people there volunteering and working. The nurses who do the tests are so gentle, warm and all round amazing people. It’s run very strict which was good to see, the system was very well run and it’s good to see they are really putting in an effort to streamline the process in order to test as many as possible.

Everyone in this country owes them a debt that can never be repaid. It is our duty and our honor to keep this expression of hope alive in memory... for those who come after us... and those who come after them... They were the shields that guarded the realms of Ireland. And we shall never see their like again.

each shall be knighted as defenders of the realm

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Blazer wrote: »
    Our neighbours 4 houses down have been having a stream of people in all day. They’re Brazilian and run some type of shop or hopefully nothing drugs related.
    I just went to the local SuperValu for milk and it had people walking casually around chatting to each and couples shopping as well.
    Also none of the staff were wearing gloves and no sanitizer for customers coming into the shop.

You should report the house and the SuperValu for not adhering to guidelines. Selfish fcukers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ireland hopes to be testing a lot more by the end of next week and even more by the end of the month.

Lets compare hopes with hopes...

It always seems to be next week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Blazer wrote: »
    No you need a military backed government who will oppress the population when ordered to by the government,
    You see all those lovely freedoms we have in the west, unrestricted access to the web, social media and being able to criticise the government without fear of reprisal? Yeah those countries don’t have that.

So China is the only Asian country that has done a great job tackling this?

Nonsense... You guys are just making weak excuses why we can't do a MUCH better job with this as a country!

Like I said, many of these Asian countries spring into action in a very positive and proactive manner... they see solutions, rather than getting bogged down in every potential problem.

Some of you guys choose to focus on all the potential problems, rather than focusing on solutions. You have the wrong mindset.

China didn't do a great job on this because they're communist... they did a great job, because they had the correct mindset. Just like other Asian countries around them. They had a positive and proactive, problem solving mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hope your feeling better today. You seemed really sick last night!
    Keep us updated with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Wibbs wrote: »
    Varadkar is a "soft" leader, grand for the platitudes and reading of poetry for the chumps in the cheap seats in the leafy suburbia where his support base tends to be. For a nation known for oratory and some of the best writers on the planet, we get him. :D

I was so impressed with him in the early days of the crisis. That first televised speech was excellent but time is exposing his weaknesses.

You should report the house and the SuperValu for not adhering to guidelines. Selfish fcukers.
    Leo said it's fine and that we don't want to be the land of curtain twitches though.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Leo said it's fine and that we don't want to be the land of curtain twitches though.

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gorgeous weather.

Optimism and the weather forum is for elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

s1ippy wrote: »
    I work part time as an assisted living carer for people with disabilities, many in high risk category. One client that I worked with, I flagged her back in mid March as having symptoms and requested that I get PPE but this was not provided. I continued to work with her until she was admitted to hospital but I was putting myself at serious risk of infection and never got adequate support from the agency.

Boxes of gloves are available at the office now but you're only allowed to take a certain quota and I have my own now so I didn't bother. We got an email the other day saying that due to our PPE running out, gloves are only to be used if we are bathing the clients or if we come in contact with saliva when we're feeding people. No masks have ever been provided even though we're often providing intimate care in this work.

Personally, now I'm using my own gloves and mask while working in my client's house and their family are grateful as I'm as likely to infect them as they are to infect me. I'm working from home in my other profession as well as doing this additional work so I also cut down my hours with the agency to only work with one client. That way I wouldn't be going from house to house as the other people I cared for had social inclusion hours and there's none of that going on now (social outings have been cancelled by the agency).

I feel that I'm in a position now where I have minimised my risk but that is not as a consequence of my agency and it is continuously hampered by the HSE and affiliates putting out false and misleading information. I also feel like care workers are entirely overlooked in this when they are basically operation get behind the darkies, to coin an expression from the South Park movie.

I mean that’s clearly not on. Your involvement in caring for that person is absolutely equal to any hospital worker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When?

Yesterday in the press conference

He was asked if the Gardai were going to set up a website to report breaches like the PSNI have done and he made some flippant remark abo UK t curtain twitchers and something Sheilas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Discodog wrote: »
    I was so impressed with him in the early days of the crisis. That first televised speech was excellent but time is exposing his weaknesses.

What weakness?

What do you want him to do right now?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Yesterday in the press conference

He was asked if the Gardai were going to set up a website to report breaches like the PSNI have done and he made some flippant remark abo UK t curtain twitchers and something Sheilas

If he did, that was a stupid thing to do when you're trying to get people to take containment measures seriously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

When?
    During the press briefing yesterday when it was mentioned by a journo that there are people flooding the tourist spots.

https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1vOxwoNrWOPxB

Find it yourself if you want, it's towards the end, last ten minutes. People might learn something if they actually watched these things and got the facts instead of just cherry-picking the coverage they consume and demanding sources when people quote them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Ireland hopes to be testing a lot more by the end of next week and even more by the end of the month.

Lets compare hopes with hopes...

But what will happen if no one is sick anymore and there is no more to test and the test centres are empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/11/coronavirus-latest-news/?utm_source=reddit.com
    PAywalled!
    Fauci expects 'real degree of normality' to return to American life by November

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So someone I know has died this morning, lived in a residential setting and was in her 70,s .. strong enough lady but wasn’t able to beat this.
    Hits home now when you are able to put names to the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

China didn't do a great job on this because they're communist... they did a great job, because they had the correct mindset. Just like other Asian countries around them. They had a positive and proactive, problem solving mindset.

I suspect that other Asian countries were much better prepared because they had been badly affected from SARS. And that one of the important things they learned from that is not to trust any information (or disinformation) coming out of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scotland-records-47-new-coronavirus-deaths-taking-total-to-542-11971958

818 deaths in England today. Scotland has reported 49 more deaths. Wales and NI have yet to announce. The youngest victim in the UK was 11 years old.

The numbers today include 33 people with no known health condiitons, aged between 29 and 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If he did, that was a stupid thing to do when you're trying to get people to take containment measures seriously.

Whenever Leo or any of the rest of then are asked about enforcement, they are at pains to promote the idea that we are all in this together voluntarily, and it's working because people want to make the effort, not because of enforcement.

I think that's the right message but his phrasing yesterday was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had a lovely video chat with my parents out the back and tanning.

My best friend's dad has been taken to hospital today, in his late 80s and on cancer treatment.

The mum had been sick and tested positive, but is OK now.

Such worrying times for everyone :(

ðŸ™

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement