Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

RobertKK wrote: »
    US states are like countries in Europe, what the US is doing is no different to what is happening in Europe, where some are easing restrictions and others aren't.

What US states are easing restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Trump's just proving just how he thinks he's the King of the United States, and not a politician who's answerable to the people....

He doesn't care about any of that. If you take human life out of it this plan makes total sense. Leave the repoening to the states. If things go well he can take all the credit for early reopning. If they go badly they he can blame the governers. It will give him even more support in states that are badly hit that he holds support that it is the big bad states not letting them open after Trump declared a reponeing. More devision for him to capitalise on and draw support. It is all disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Speaking of government ministers I was wonder where the Murphy fellow was and if he had raised the head above the parapet. Lo and behold I spotted him today walking down Herbert Park not a meter from the fellow that was accompanying him. I dont know his personal situation maybe he is a flat mate or a boyfriend.

Read in the independent that under a coalition government he'll be getting the chop so no wonder hes been quiet. Usually he's absolutely everywhere, prime time, tonight on virgin media etc but nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Back in Ireland Leo has destroyed many families of the nursing home victims

He let that happen, both as bad as each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I wish more people got this and the size and population of America a lot better

The lack of common sense and just working out averages etc by some people regarding Covid is really something

The population density and scale of the U.S is something a lot just don't understand..

We could fit the populations of N.Dakota, Alaska, Vermont and Washington D.C into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Having a go at me again ? I understand perfectly so thanks for your concern if you read back through my posts I've not once said lift all restrictions in one go read back through them you'll see any of my ideas around lifting them are phased over the space of about 3 months or more. Also reported you for another personal dig for no reason, nice trend going there.

There's no personal dig. Its evident you don't understand what happens when you lift restrictions, even in a phased basis. It means the R0 starts to climb. And restrictions then have to be reimposed. This goes on repeatedly until we get a vaccine. Unless we get new cases down to zero. But that means mandatory isolation for visitors. This point you overlook.

I'm not having a go, I'm answering your points and flawed arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I wish more people got this and the size and population of America a lot better

The lack of common sense and just working out averages etc by some people regarding Covid is really something

Trump up until some governers put him in his place was advocating opening all states. He even tonight backed the toothless goons that protested in Michigan despite the issues in that state. Some probably can be opened but have very little preparation done and others definitely can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What US states are easing restrictions?

None, for now.

They are also not equal to countries in Europe. They operate under the national federal government of the US. While they have limited autonomy the federal government can take action against them, particularly fiscal.

Countries in Europe are by definition sovereign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Spare a thought for Africa as this effing virus takes hold there.

Just three ventilators are available in the Central African Republic, a country of almost five million people, says David Manan, Country Director for the Norwegian Refugee Council.

“When rich nations are in panic mode stating that thousands of ventilators will not be enough, it just brings to light how poorer nations like the Central African Republic don’t stand a chance in the fight against COVID-19.”

https://time.com/5816299/coronavirus-africa-ventilators-doctors/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

threeball wrote: »
    What do you propose in that case. Its not going away now that its here. Face up to that fact and you'll save yourself alot of stress.

Remove the backlog and we're likely looking at about 500 cases a day now. With an R0 of 0.7 its down to 350 in two weeks and 250 in a month. Down to about 100 new cases in 2 months, 40 in 3 months and 20 cases a day in 4 months. Almost eliminated. If we import cases though it will lengthen that time.

The other alternatives are a series of rolling lockdowns lasting a month at a time for 18 months. Or just let it run its course while cocooning the most vulnerable. It would probably run its course in 4-5 months.

Those are the options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Best to try to eliminate this altogether in the next few months rather than lifting and imposing restrictions until a vaccine.

And how do you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Just three ventilators are available in the Central African Republic, a country of almost five million people, says David Manan, Country Director for the Norwegian Refugee Council.

“When rich nations are in panic mode stating that thousands of ventilators will not be enough, it just brings to light how poorer nations like the Central African Republic don’t stand a chance in the fight against COVID-19.”

It's honestly a horrific situation. As bad as things may be here it'll be catastrophic in places like the CAR and DRC. Hopefully once the west gets a handle on things we can give excess medical equipment to these Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Roi have 7 times the number of cases than NI, how is that now ? The deaths are proportional to the population anyway

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

German people are sensible, efficient and work together.

Irish people on the other hand....

Is that why they went bankrupt 3 times in the last century, 3 of which were record setting, in the same fit of pique, they started a war which killed 55mn and they killed 13 million in death camps, at least half of which they burnt.

Sensible, indeed.

There is a linear thinking in the German psyche, double down, stay the course, great at times but often leads to disaster for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to Trocaire:

- Malawi has one ICU bed for every one million people
    - Sierra Leone has no ICU beds (Population 7.6 million)
    - South Sudan has two ventilators for 12 million people

Shocking numbers, let's hope their warm climates slow the spread as much as possible

That Chinese Restaurant never had someone who worked in a bar.

Never let a sober traveller in and never refuse to serve demented drunk travellers.

The fact the place is closed is neither here nor there.

Could see a few of the "i'm never having a Chinese again" posters on here defending them except for who they are. Got to be tough for them as to who they dislike more at the moment Chinese restaurants or travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

None, for now.

They are also not equal to countries in Europe. They operate under the national federal government of the US. While they have limited autonomy the federal government can take action against them, particularly fiscal.

Countries in Europe are by definition sovereign.

and in the US it is the governors who have the powers over the restrictions.

Yes, but they can also be punished if they go against what the federal government wants.

Ultimately it is up to the governors whether to open up their states though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

polesheep wrote: »
    This is beaten, bar in the nursing homes. We need to start moving on and throw huge resources at the nursing homes - something we should have done at the start.

I wouldn’t say beaten, it’s on the way to a win though and that’s great. If we start declaring it beaten you are only sending the anti thinking overly social fûckwits into overdrive, that will want a mass and a u2 concert in Croker as well as a hugathon tomorrow in the local park all the same day to celebrate... we are on the way to beating this, I don’t want the covid epitaph to read ‘we almost beat it’ I want it to say we kicked it out, we did better than a lot of countries, we stuck together (metaphorically and socially distancing) to KCO... KICK COVID OUT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

'dey brought de virus'

I dont think youll meet a group of people who could give less of a **** about the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

they probably have natural antibodies to it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

NDWC wrote: »
    According to Trocaire:

Shocking numbers, let's hope their warm climates slow the spread as much as possible

Sobering numbers for sure, but there's absolutely no evidence I've seen that this thing doesn't like heat

Jesus, you must have an IQ of about -189 to be carrying on like that, seriously. Cûnts like that should be fûcked headfirst into Lough Corrib. Of no value to anyone. Beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

wakka12 wrote: »
    'dey brought de virus'

I dont think youll meet a group of people who could give less of a **** about the virus

I can't imagine they've been washing their hands the last few weeks. I mean, if you're not gonna wash the rest of you........

Roi have 7 times the number of cases than NI, how is that now ? The deaths are proportional to the population anyway

northern Ireland only counting hospital deaths 158 .

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

US states are like countries in Europe, what the US is doing is no different to what is happening in Europe, where some are easing restrictions and others aren't.

Thing is we don't have an ignoramus pressuring our government to re-opening.

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »
    According to Trocaire:

Low population density in many African countries will help too.

Some of the largest countries in Africa -Tanzania 53 mil
    South Africa 54 mil
    DRC -77m
    Sudan 45m
    Mozambique - 27ml

All have population density considerably lower than Ireland

Chad, Mali, Somalia , Niger and Algeria are all 4x less densely populated than Ireland

In fact the only major African countries of comaparable density to dense European countries such as Belgium, Netherlands, UK are Rwanda and Burundi

New York has extended it's lock down to May 15th.

New York state will extend its stay-at-home restrictions at least through 15 May, amid signs the initial wave of the coronavirus outbreak has stopped getting worse.

Governor Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that virus transmission rates still need to be tamed as he prolonged rules that have left many New Yorkers working from home, or out of a job entirely, and unable to gather in public since 22 March. The governor said the extension was made in consultation with other Northeast states and will be re-evaluated next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

northern Ireland only counting hospital deaths 158 .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52291997

They are releasing new figures tomorrow including some deaths outside hospitals.
    Watched the C4 news tonight, they reckon the Brits are hiding many covid deaths. They were saying doctors are not bothering to put it on the death certificates as it causes lots of problems for them. One doctor was quoted as saying he was sure this was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Big fan of when the cameraperson gets noticed and starts legging it

Singapore has broken it's highest daily total for the 6th time in about two weeks with 728 new cases today

Japan also reports it's highest ever daily total of 605 new cases

• Advertisement

They were saying doctors are not bothering to put it on the death certificates as it causes lots of problems for them.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ross Kemp new documentary coming from Covid19 hospital ward looking at NHS frontline

Did those poor deceased have any family to be contacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

They are releasing new figures tomorrow including some deaths outside hospitals.
    Watched the C4 news tonight, they reckon the Brits are hiding many covid deaths. They were saying doctors are not bothering to put it on the death certificates as it causes lots of problems for them. One doctor was quoted as saying he was sure this was happening.

Problems as in contacting the coroner?

Very anecdotal story

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Trump even mentioned tonight the "Federal stockpile of ventilators", with the measures he is "encouraging" states to do, there will be a competition for these.

hC8LrhQ.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Trump even mentioned tonight the "Federal stockpile of ventilators", with the measures he is "encouraging" states to do, there will be a competition for these.

hC8LrhQ.jpg?1

he sounds like he is trying to sell them, built a way too many "high quality "ventilators by the sound of it

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did those poor deceased have any family to be contacted?

chicken and egg situation for many, hanging on to life with an illness and covid pushes them over the edge. Easier to say the underlying health problem is the cause of death.

Sobering numbers for sure, but there's absolutely no evidence I've seen that this thing doesn't like heat

Hardest hit countries have same spring weather approx.

Tests show it thrives at temperatures between 5 to 10 degrees and 50 to 70% humidity.

R0 figures drop outside of that. So it grows but not as fast.

There is research online about it.

Horrible.

Trump: let's open the country :rolleyes:

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Problems as in contacting the coroner?

Very anecdotal story

I'm sure its on the C4 player, have a look.

They were saying doctors are not bothering to put it on the death certificates as it causes lots of problems for them. One doctor was quoted as saying he was sure this was happening.

What sort of problem ? The doctor filling in a legal document if he has a legal obligation to do so should be doing it properly, honestly, they have taken an oath. The only way that might not happen would be if there was political pressure from political people... another industry I was told by a supervisor to amend figures in a report to reflect better performance of the team , well the management, I said, “ if I get that request in writing, I’ll think about it, otherwise, not happening” (I’d no fûckin intention of doing it either way, I would have sold the cûnt down the river for leaning on me though). The email never came an the report was never falsified. Public employees need to stand up to corruption, especially in these times, be vigilant out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

I'm sure its on the C4 player, have a look.

Had a look on Twitter and seen the report on not reporting nursing home residents?

I fully agree with you there, difficult to know without full testing the true numbers.

In hospital however if a patient has a confirmed diagnosis the doctor would have to put the cause of death down and contact the coroner. To do anything different would be unethical.
    Of course as happens in Ireland if a patients Pcr test comes back as negative despite the clinical appearance of Covid, it will not be listed as the cause of death

214 deaths South Korea is that correct? How have they managed to slow it down and test so many?

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Had a look on Twitter and seen the report on not reporting nursing home residents?

I fully agree with you there, difficult to know without full testing the true numbers.

In hospital however if a patient has a confirmed diagnosis the doctor would have to put the cause of death down and contact the coroner. To do anything different would be unethical.
    Of course as happens in Ireland if a patients Pcr test comes back as negative despite the clinical appearance of Covid, it will not be listed as the cause of death
    The report was not about nursing homes as far as I could tell, it was people outside hospitals and nursing homes I think. I dont think they are testing much in the UK so I suppose they may have a problem getting a test if they suspect Covid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement