Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    214 deaths South Korea is that correct? How have they managed to slow it down and test so many?

South Korea learned lessons from their dealings with SARS, they were able to implement measures very quickly.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/experience-of-sars-key-factor-in-response-to-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

236067_RGB-1024x664.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil/bolsonaro-fires-health-minister-calls-to-reopen-economy-idUSKBN21Y338?utm_source=reddit.com

Brazilian president fires minister for health after clash of opinion and again calls for an end to the stay at home order in Brazil in order to maintain the economy

This comes as Brazil announces over 1600 deaths in the last fortnight

wakka12 wrote: »

Countries that fail to report properly need to be sanctioned in my opinion. It puts every other country at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

NDWC wrote: »

Shocking numbers, let's hope their warm climates slow the spread as much as possible

The population in Africa is also much younger than in Europe - I think I read somewhere the median age is 20 (no source, so could be rubbish). It could be there will be many more milder cases. Not looking too good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Polar101 wrote: »
    The population in Africa is also much younger than in Europe - I think I read somewhere the median age is 20 (no source, so could be rubbish). It could be there will be many more milder cases. Not looking too good though.

Much of Sub saharan Africa has Aids figures from 2 % to 20%.

Highly vulnerable.

Who knows maybe those on antiviral for that will be ok but.. that's a stretch and only a few million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would that be the indigenous population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fritzelly wrote: »
    Would that be the indigenous population?

Was in Brazil not so long ago. The amount of poverty at every turn is incredible. Can see videos similar to that Ecuador one above emerging.

Bolsonaro doesn't want to know.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Was in Brazil not so long ago. The amount of poverty at every turn is incredible. Can see videos similar to that Ecuador one above emerging.

Bolsonaro doesn't want to know.

Think you're thinking I'm quoting a different video

Though that other video is very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

EL6C69X.jpg

My sleep pattern has only gone further to **** with the heat.

chicken and egg situation for many, hanging on to life with an illness and covid pushes them over the edge. Easier to say the underlying health problem is the cause of death.

Just a question, if someone who "suspects" they may have covid-19, and cannot afford health insurance, takes what Trump suggests hydroxychloroquine, and dies of a heart attack, will that death be recorded as a heart attack or covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just a question, if someone who "suspects" they may have covid-19, and cannot afford health insurance, takes what Trump suggests hydroxychloroquine, and dies of a heart attack, will that death be recorded as a heart attack or covid-19.

I presume heart attack due to overdose of hydrochloroquine

No - stupidity

khalessi wrote: »
    I presume heart attack due to overdose of hydrochloroquine

My point is those who cannot afford medical advice, Trump is advising hydrochloroquine, not what dose to take, there are people who are desperate.

No new reported cases in Vietnam in the last 24 hours. 74,000 in quarantine or forced isolation.

The government's response has been extremely popular with everyone pretty much saying "yeah, the numbers are mad low but you can see why". Seems the one closest to dying is a British guy being kept alive with ECMO, and another old person, patient 20. I'm pretty sure if the latter dies, the girl who lied about being in Italy and brought it back here will be done for manslaughter. She was patient 17.

The country's electronic car manufacturer is teaming up with Medtronic and Foxconn as well to make ventilators.
    "Meanwhile, Vingroup will use its automotive unit, VinFast, and its phone unit, VinSmart, to build ventilators. It expects to make 45,000 non-invasive machines and 10,000 invasive machines per month. “Vingroup has an advantage of having both the VinFast automobile factory and VinSmart electronics factory,” says Le Thi Thu Thuy, group vice chairwoman of Vingroup."

• Advertisement

My point is those who cannot afford medical advice, Trump is advising hydrochloroquine, not what dose to take, there are people who are desperate.

Takes two seconds to google the drug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

IF they google they willfind out the side effects including fits and blindness

My recent ex has been put on that drug in the last few weeks. She's going through her worst lupus flare in years and in an effort to keep her out of hospital, her doctors added it to the steroids she's already on. Must check in with her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Discovered today by overhearing it yelled through the back garden hedge that each of the ten houses on our row (excluding us gives 9) have a confirmed case of coronavirus. Many of them are from the same family but three households aren't related to them. We are very much socially distancing from the sides of the garden.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Discovered today by overhearing it yelled through the back garden hedge that each of the ten houses on our row (excluding us gives 9) have a confirmed case of coronavirus. Many of them are from the same family but three households aren't related to them. We are very much socially distancing from the sides of the garden.

What are they doing that you are not doing :pac:

• Advertisement

Takes two seconds to google the drug

I know the drug is a disaster to covid-19 patients, and can cause heart attacks, but the fact is Trump put it out there as an absolute remedy, there are people who will follow him - no matter what, we can even see this on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

7j5mjn7ly6t41.jpg

No new reported cases in Vietnam in the last 24 hours. 74,000 in quarantine or forced isolation.

The government's response has been extremely popular with everyone pretty much saying "yeah, the numbers are mad low but you can see why". Seems the one closest to dying is a British guy being kept alive with ECMO, and another old person, patient 20. I'm pretty sure if the latter dies, the girl who lied about being in Italy and brought it back here will be done for manslaughter. She was patient 17.

The country's electronic car manufacturer is teaming up with Medtronic and Foxconn as well to make ventilators.
    "Meanwhile, Vingroup will use its automotive unit, VinFast, and its phone unit, VinSmart, to build ventilators. It expects to make 45,000 non-invasive machines and 10,000 invasive machines per month. “Vingroup has an advantage of having both the VinFast automobile factory and VinSmart electronics factory,” says Le Thi Thu Thuy, group vice chairwoman of Vingroup."

Vietnam has reported only 269 cases so far.

The country, along with quite a few others, needs to be sanctioned for lying to the global community.

This won't end with consequences for China.

khalessi wrote: »
    IF they google they willfind out the side effects including fits and blindness

I know that (we are in a very fortunate positon) but, just imagine you are facing a bill of 38000 for treatment of covid-19, your rent is due and all the other bills,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What are they doing that you are not doing :pac:
    Going visiting each constantly, as in non stop, interacting with each other all day every day, supermarket trip every day. Generally being absolute morons. The crowd that aren't related to them would be friendly and stop for a chat whereas we have taken 0 chances from day one. Even at the risk of being rude.

I'm worried now about new research that says it has aerosol capability of 6m because they're within spitting distance of us out the back garden and regularly try to engage us.

The country, along with quite a few others, needs to be sanctioned for lying to the global community.

You think a country that did about seventeen million times as much as Ireland to protect its people should be sanctioned.

But no, you don't think they did more or did better. Because of reasons.

s1ippy one page ago talking about loads of his neighbours being infected.. No word of lockdown and roads closed off and manned by police like has happened here every time a community here has gotten it. No word of food and medicine deliveries since people can't leave and get supplies. No word of contact tracing. No word of the infected being put into quarantine facilities.

You think every country must be approaching this virus the same so any numbers outside the norm must be lies. Every country is not treating this the same. Irish people wouldn't stand for police and medical staff arriving at their door and taking them away because someone on their flight a week ago tested positive. Irish people wouldn't stand for forced two-week quarantine when flights are available, and no flights if facilities are full. Not being allowed back into your own country is anathema to Europeans.

And sanctions for what? Even if they were lying, it doesn't affect the global community. People aren't coming or going and haven't been for a very long time. They aren't benefiting from lying either.. Schools and unis closed since January. All tourism gone. Businesses going under. Police checkpoints and social distancing. Only around ten internal flights a day. Vietnam's concern is how badly everyone else is managing this because that means it won't be letting in normal flights for the rest of the year. If I have to leave, I may as well just sell everything because I won't be able to come back.

And sanctions.. Not for countries that are dealing with this terribly like the UK, or Sweden, or the US. But for countries that you think must be lying. That's what you consider to be the greater crime. It's bizarre. The countries that deserve sanctions are the ones that lied and said masks are completely pointless, because they didn't have enough supplies.

And sanctions for what? Even if they were lying, it doesn't affect the global community.

The rest of the nonsense we will leave aside.

You are deadly wrong, literally. There is a highly contagious pathogen causing chaos around the world and you believe a single country lying about it's infections is not an issue for the rest of us?

Well, unless Vietnam is going to be quarantined by the rest of the world then it is a severe problem for us.

You don't seem to understand the dynamics and how it makes otherwise harmless and irrelevant countries on a global stage suddenly extremely important.

No country can lie because if they lie it is a direct threat to all of their neighbors and beyond.

That is why the strong men (Russia, Turkey, Iran...) all fall in line eventually because they know the threat and don't want to be the ones holding the short straw at the end.

The countries bullsh!tting are the ones that no one will trade with and will be restricted from trading with anyone else.

And rightly so.

How you can argue that is somehow unreasonable is beyond me.

I don't think they're lying so it's irrelevant. Would you rather Ireland handled the virus like Vietnam or no?

I don't think they're lying so it's irrelevant. Would you rather Ireland handled the virus like Vietnam or no?

It does not ring any alarm bells for you knowing the trouble the neighbors are in? Even Thailand somewhat tells the truth and that is with huge doubt over their ability to do pretty much anything really in this regard.

But Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Japan all in big trouble - but Vietnam, only 269 cases and no more.

Draw your own conclusions.

Here is the very latest from Myanmar, another beaut
    Myanmar to release 25,000 prisoners amid virus fears

More than a quarter of Myanmar’s prison population is to be released, the president’s office announced Friday, as calls grow to ease pressure on overcrowded jails with coronavirus fears gripping the country.

The Southeast Asian nation grants an annual amnesty to thousands of prisoners to mark its April New Year holiday, but this is the largest ever recorded.

So far Myanmar has officially confirmed 85 cases of Covid-19, including four deaths, but experts fear the real number is many times more due to the low numbers tested.

The country is under a nationwide lockdown and there has been growing pressure to release inmates from what Human Rights Watch (HRW) calls “horribly overcrowded and unsanitary” jails.

The release would start immediately, a senior officer of the prison department in Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw told AFP without giving further details.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/17/coronavirus-live-news-trump-says-29-states-could-reopen-relatively-soon-as-global-deaths-near-145000

• Advertisement

China 'reports' 351 new cases and 1,290 deaths (revisions in Wuhan)

The neighbours Vietnam hasn't allowed flights from in a month, and had forced two-week quarantine in a facility before that.

Anyways, answer my question. Would you rather Ireland handled the virus like Vietnam or no?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

China 'reports' 351 new cases and 1,290 deaths (revisions in Wuhan)

Wuhan (China), the epicenter of the pandemic, today reported 1,290 additional deaths that had not been previously counted and reported, bringing the total number of deaths in Wuhan from 2,579 to 3,869, an increase of 50%, as the result of a revision by the Wuhan New Coronary Pneumonia Epidemic Prevention and Control. As part of this revision, 325 additional cases in Wuhan were also added. Separately, China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported 26 new cases (and no deaths) in its daily report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

The neighbours Vietnam hasn't allowed flights from in a month, and had forced two-week quarantine in a facility before that.

Anyways, answer my question. Would you rather Ireland handled the virus like Vietnam or no?

Firstly Vietnam and Ireland, don't compare reactions from either country when you know so much is different between both places. Let's see how the other EU countries do whilst lifting lockdown.
    Your in China? Is there many fat people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

Bit late getting started on nursing homes

Seems like varadkar and holahan are just responding to the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hintel wrote: »

We are where we are. , as the saying goes .. are you suggesting that we just leave nursing homes to it?? You do realise there are still people living in nursing homes , right?
    We must do all we can to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

China has revised figures in Wuhan added another 50% to death toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wuhan (China), the epicenter of the pandemic, today reported 1,290 additional deaths that had not been previously counted and reported, bringing the total number of deaths in Wuhan from 2,579 to 3,869, an increase of 50%, as the result of a revision by the Wuhan New Coronary Pneumonia Epidemic Prevention and Control. As part of this revision, 325 additional cases in Wuhan were also added. Separately, China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported 26 new cases (and no deaths) in its daily report.

And the rest I'd say. Another attempt to explain away report's of many additional deaths there. It didnt take the CCP over a month to calculate an extra 1300 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

hawkelady wrote: »
    We are where we are. , as the saying goes .. are you suggesting that we just leave nursing homes to it?? You do realise there are still people living in nursing homes , right?
    We must do all we can to help them

'we are where we are' is just not good enough. The head of the nursing homes body was crying out for action to be taken since February but it fell on deaf ears. The HSE even criticised nursing homes for action they took to protect residents early on - ie restricting visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Remove the backlog and we're likely looking at about 500 cases a day now. With an R0 of 0.7 its down to 350 in two weeks and 250 in a month. Down to about 100 new cases in 2 months, 40 in 3 months and 20 cases a day in 4 months. Almost eliminated. If we import cases though it will lengthen that time.

The other alternatives are a series of rolling lockdowns lasting a month at a time for 18 months. Or just let it run its course while cocooning the most vulnerable. It would probably run its course in 4-5 months.

Those are the options.

You do realise the R0 is dropping because we're not moving around? So are you advocating we stay in lockdown for another 6 months and if not how do you propose to keep the R rate below 1. We started off here with 2 or 3 carriers and look where we are now. So with a hundred or so carriers this will take off 10 times as quick even with no foreigners if restrictions are lifted.

You gave 3 options when in reality there has only ever been one. I said as much over a month ago. Rolling restrictions to open and close the valve and regulate to the now greater capacity in our health service. Theres no plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Tested on Saturday. Had severe symptoms that week, last 2 days I’ve felt much better. This morning I have woken up with zero taste or smell. Previous symptoms are fully gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Tested last Saturday and still no result? What are the wait times for results in other European countries ?? A week seems too long to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Nice of them

Leo’s first step at the start of this was to rehire his PR guru...... kinda tells you everything

CMO/HSE/ Dept of Health/Minister Harris/ Taoiseach Leo had all this data being fed to them from day one to compare and contract against the projected outcomes which was sitting on their desks from day one.

Despite the spin and scripted press conferences the nursing home figures were known by all the decision makers from the outset but they could rely on the privacy card to avoid scrutiny and having to act .

We were not meant to know about what was happening in Nursing Homes and we certainly weren’t going to be alerted to it by anyone in authority but.... social media fills the voids and eventually news leaked from concerned staff and relatives and we heard the first story in North Dublin of 14 confirmed cases it took mainstream media 2 weeks after the results we’re confirmed to be brave enough to report it and since then a steady trickle had forced mainstream media to break ranks with the green jersey PR brigade and do their job

So yes it is too late the horse has bolted with Nursing Homes.Leo’s perfectly scripted USA speech announced to us that our elderly and vulnerable would soon be asked to be cocooned yet the vast majority of deaths at this stage we’re Nursing Home and still Leo with his medical background couldn’t figure out that immediate action was needed in relation to Nursing Homes and residential care settings?

Prime Minister Boris and his health experts also had all the data and projections from the outset and their Plan A was herd immunity with the vulnerable protected ( group a) plus their healthcare staff(group b) and the rest was the herd which could be infected ( group c). Group A and group B needed to isolated from the herd ( group c ) for this plan to work. Workable if you have a totalitarian state not so easy in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Another gem from Paul Cullen at the Irish Times:

'Over the space of a month, the number of people contracting the disease from an infected person has dropped from an average of 20 to about three.'

It's dropped from 3.7 to 0.7-1. He's confused between the average number of close contacts found from contact tracing and the R0.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-in-one-month-the-republic-has-pushed-covid-19-back-1.4230980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In contrast to the calm of our NEPHT crisis management NZ seem to be in a bit of a squabble over what comes next.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/debate-over-when-and-how-to-ease-new-zealands-lockdown-turns-personal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Great to see the Captain Hindsights in full flow. We'll be listening to them for the next 10 years.

I don't remember anyone on this thread mentioning nursing homes 2 months ago, now it's all "well it was obvious that the biggest risk was...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

It is fair to say that if they could go back they would do some things differently and that includes nursing homes and residential care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I crossed a land border from Cambodia into Vietnam at the end of January. Apart from the regular customs and immigration we were taken aside by staff in ppe, had our temperatures taken and were required to fill out an extensive form as to our recent health and travel movements. We were then given a cert to carry with our passports as proof of screening. Hotels we subsequently stayed at had closed gyms and swimming pools to prevent infection. Staff all wore masks (quite normal in Vietnam) and distancing was encouraged, eg you were asked to stand back a little from reception desk.
    Point is, Vietnam were taking the threat seriously. When we got back into Dublin airport weeks later we didn’t even get a leaflet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

beolight wrote: »
    Nice of them

Leo’s first step at the start of this was to rehire his PR guru...... kinda tells you everything

CMO/HSE/ Dept of Health/Minister Harris/ Taoiseach Leo had all this data being fed to them from day one to compare and contract against the projected outcomes which was sitting on their desks from day one.

Despite the spin and scripted press conferences the nursing home figures were known by all the decision makers from the outset but they could rely on the privacy card to avoid scrutiny and having to act .

We were not meant to know about what was happening in Nursing Homes and we certainly weren’t going to be alerted to it by anyone in authority but.... social media fills the voids and eventually news leaked from concerned staff and relatives and we heard the first story in North Dublin of 14 confirmed cases it took mainstream media 2 weeks after the results we’re confirmed to be brave enough to report it and since then a steady trickle had forced mainstream media to break ranks with the green jersey PR brigade and do their job

So yes it is too late the horse has bolted with Nursing Homes.Leo’s perfectly scripted USA speech announced to us that our elderly and vulnerable would soon be asked to be cocooned yet the vast majority of deaths at this stage we’re Nursing Home and still Leo with his medical background couldn’t figure out that immediate action was needed in relation to Nursing Homes and residential care settings?

Prime Minister Boris and his health experts also had all the data and projections from the outset and their Plan A was herd immunity with the vulnerable protected ( group a) plus their healthcare staff(group b) and the rest was the herd which could be infected ( group c). Group A and group B needed to isolated from the herd ( group c ) for this plan to work. Workable if you have a totalitarian state not so easy in a democracy.

Henry has been on the record time and again about the huge challenge of nursing homes. Any country you look at has run into the same problem because they have a population where up to 100% are at risk and a high death toll sadly is not at all surprising. They are also environments where death is always very near. In addition, you need to factor in the varying level of care in some of these homes. Some are unquestionably excellent, others may not be. Their management comes via the HSE and standards from HIQA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Its a pity you didn't shout from the roof top 3 months ago about starting on nursing homes, it's a bit late now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement