Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fits wrote: »
    It is fair to say that if they could go back they would do some things differently and that includes nursing homes and residential care.
    We now understand that it is all about doing things quickly. Right or correct comes afterwards and we can apply all the hindsight and knowledge we've accrued to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

hawkelady wrote: »
    Tested last Saturday and still no result? What are the wait times for results in other European countries ?? A week seems too long to wait.

I talked to someone last week that was waiting 18 days. Not sure if they got the result since.

fits wrote: »
    It is fair to say that if they could go back they would do some things differently and that includes nursing homes and residential care.

People in nursing homes and psychiatric institutions tend not to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

is_that_so wrote: »
    In contrast to the calm of our NEPHT crisis management NZ seem to be in a bit of a squabble over what comes next.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/debate-over-when-and-how-to-ease-new-zealands-lockdown-turns-personal

Nobody dying: the measures are working, we need to keep them in place!

Anybody dying: the measures need to be toughened!

Countries all over the world have donned a straitjacket. A ratchet. They've terrified half their populace to tighten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

I talked to someone last week that was waiting 18 days. Not sure if they got the result since.

Day 21. Still nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

People in nursing homes tend not to vote.
    Disgusting comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just not good enough... We're all playing our part. They've had what, 5 weeks to get the testing sorted. Lucky we all stayed home and helped them out - or testing would be the least of their worries!

The longer this goes on - the less confident I am in the "powers that be".

hmmm wrote: »
    Disgusting comment.

How? It's true.

This state has long neglected it's old people and children. Aided and abetted by the Roman church of course.

How? It's true.

This state has long neglected it's old people and children. Aided and abetted by the Roman church of course.
    There's been people working morning noon and night to try and get this country ready, dealing with a million problems, and now they have to listen to arseholes telling them about all the things they "should" have done and how they have failed people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So china literally admits the death toll until now in its epicentre was underrepresented by half . Unbelievable that WHO bare face lied to the world saying there's no reason to believe china lied about its figures and that they seemed legitimate

And all the posters saying it was impossible for China to cover up thousands of deaths in this day and age..if it smells like bull**** it's because it usually is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Great to see the Captain Hindsights in full flow. We'll be listening to them for the next 10 years.

I don't remember anyone on this thread mentioning nursing homes 2 months ago, now it's all "well it was obvious that the biggest risk was...."

There were plenty. Here's one from 6 weeks ago. Written to provoke thought. This was when we compared foot and mouth response and parade going ahead. Comparing cows and people.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112724879&postcount=8175
    Sad but true. Silver linings though .....
    • The festival costs less than €2 million and is directly responsible for generating revenue of €73 million in foreign tourist spending (over €50 million in Dublin alone)
    • Serious savings on old people, With 75pc of nursing homes in the private sector, their fees can be eye-watering, climbing to €6,000 or more per month, especially in Dublin.
    • In 2017, Ireland exported an estimated 537 thousand tonnes of beef worth approximately €1.85 billion.
    • In 2017, 189,000 cattle were exported live from Ireland worth approximately €100 million.
    • There were 6.7 million cattle in Ireland according to the 2017 December livestock survey, this represents a 1% increase on the 2016 level.
    • Ireland in 2016 net exports of beef accounted for 85% of production, making Ireland the largest beef net exporter in the EU and fifth largest in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

wakka12 wrote: »
    So china literally admits the death toll until now in its epicentre was underrepresented by half . Unbelievable that WHO bare face lied to the world saying there's no reason to believe china lied about its figures and that they seemed legitimate

If you think China's figures are grossly under-reported have a look across the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Great to see the Captain Hindsights in full flow. We'll be listening to them for the next 10 years.

I don't remember anyone on this thread mentioning nursing homes 2 months ago, now it's all "well it was obvious that the biggest risk was...."

Well the conversation never steered that way during my participation on these threads, but i have been saying for weeks now to other people about care homes.

Reason? I have a relation that is cared for after a stroke some years ago, i have been saying for a number of weeks now people in nursing homes are entirely at the mercy of others having good sense and hygiene practices.

I am not blaming anyone who works in a nursing home, rather i highlighted and knew the poor people that are unfortunate enough to be in a home had the prevention of contracting outside their control.

There's been people working morning noon and night to try and get this country ready, dealing with a million problems, and now they have to listen to arseholes telling them about all the things they "should" have done and how they have failed people.

Oh please. I almost weeped.
    Do you have anyone in a nursing home yourself or are you just whoring for thanks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oh please. I almost weeped.

The whole thing is very black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

theballz wrote: »
    Tested on Saturday. Had severe symptoms that week, last 2 days I’ve felt much better. This morning I have woken up with zero taste or smell. Previous symptoms are fully gone.

Scary stuff. Hope you're doing okay.

When you say all other symptoms are gone, bar the loss of taste and smell, how are you feeling?

If you think China's figures are grossly under-reported have a look across the Irish Sea.

Yes but the undercount of nursing home deaths is a widely known phenomena and the British government openly admit the true death toll is 10-50% higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wuhan alone is believed to have had 45k dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

FFS.

Ok. I have been on this thread for months saying that the Chinese should be trusted and had posters arguing with me over that. I think that's been put to bed.

They really need to come clean and be honest about this virus for the purposes of finding a vaccine. They now a lot more than they are saying about where it originated from and by all accounts wet markets and the eating of meat not fit for human consumption is still rife.

I'd go as far as to say that there should be international sanctions imposed on them at this rate.

• Advertisement

Reason? I have a relation that is cared for after a stroke some years ago, i have been saying for a number of weeks now people in nursing homes are entirely at the mercy of others having good sense and hygiene practices.
    Agreed. It's an incredibly difficult problem with a virus like this. I remember there were visiting restrictions placed from day 1, but you still have staff/contractors who need to be there. One slip, and the entire home can become infected.

I actually don't know what they're going to do. Even with full PPE, and realistically this isn't going to be possible (?), there is still a good chance an infection will get in. With a vaccine possibly 18 months to a year away, and it not being certain that a vaccine can even be given to older people, are we going to keep everyone restricted to their rooms in nursing homes for that length of time?

Yes but the undercount of nursing home deaths is a widely known phenomena and the British government openly admit the true death toll is 10-50% higher

Have they really admitted that? I missed it. Who announced it?

Whatever about not doing enough for nursing homes. To come out and say the restrictions that were put in place "to protect residents" should be lifted. That was insanity.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1237447726331281408?s=20

Danzy wrote: »
    Wuhan alone is believed to have had 45k dead.

So less than half of a percent of the entire population?

Wuhan has a population of 11.5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I'd go as far as to say that there should be international sanctions imposed on them at this rate.

Sanctions on the country that's manufacturing and distributing almost all the world's PPE, on the cusp of the greatest global economic catastrophe in modern history. Righty-oh then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Have they really admitted that? I missed it. Who announced it?
    The Chinese did themselves.
    They under-reported the deaths in Wuhan city by 50%.
    Nice round number they came up with, right?

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    The Chinese did themselves.
    They under-reported the deaths in Wuhan city by 50%.
    Nice round number they came up with, right?

My question was about the UK not China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Whatever about not doing enough for nursing homes. To come out and say the restrictions that were put in place "to protect residents" should be lifted. That was insanity.

Almost criminal negligence tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Ireland has contained and effectively suppressed coronavirus in the population at large, a tribute to early and successful action by authorities and the public.

The bad news is the pandemic continues to wreak havoc in care homes which account for more than 300 of the 486 recorded deaths. “The data clearly shows that there are two very different experiences of Covid-19 in Ireland today,” the chief medical officer, Tony Holohan, told a media briefing.

The daily number of deaths nationwide reached a new high of 43 on Thursday but the number of new cases of Covid-19 has plateaued and should soon fall, according to the National Public Health Emergency Team.

Since 3 April the growth rate in new cases has been close to zero and the number in intensive care units has stabilised. The reproduction number of the disease is now estimated at 0.7 to 1, a steep fall from the outset of the pandemic when an infected person infected around 4.5 other people.

However almost one-third of nursing homes have the Covid-19 virus, according to the Health Information and Quality Authority. Some experts are calling it a catastrophe.

Separately, there is concern that earlier this week almost 200 fruit pickers flew from Bulgaria to Dublin on a Ryanair flight that allegedly lacked social distancing measures on board.

Irish media cited a letter from purporting to be from a Ryanair employee which said the chartered flight put cabin crew at risk. Some politicians complained, saying it made no sense to import seasonal workers in the teeth of a pandemic when people in Ireland could not travel more than 2km from home.

My question was about the UK not China.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dont-underestimate-how-unpleasant-this-will-be-body-recovery-teams-warned-11969425

'The Pandemic Multi-Agency Response Teams (Pmart), began work in the capital last week amid projections that around one third of suspected coronavirus deaths could happen outside hospitals.'

Tordelback wrote: »
    Sanctions on the country that's manufacturing and distributing almost all the world's PPE, on the cusp of the greatest global economic catastrophe in modern history. Righty-oh then.

The country that is supplying batches of faulty PPE not fit for purpose?

I don't trust them. Or their manufacturing standards.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »

I couldn't get my head around it. I got a warning for suggesting that the nursing home is trying to protect their clients because they pay the bills etc. vs the government who has to pay their pension.

Could not fathom it at all. Very sad. I can only explain as being a triage decision. i.e we are not going to be able to treat everyone. Anyone in a nursing home is on their own. That's what has transpired up until a few days ago when the backlash prompted support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

FFS.

Ok. I have been on this thread for months saying that the Chinese should be trusted and had posters arguing with me over that. I think that's been put to bed.

They really need to come clean and be honest about this virus for the purposes of finding a vaccine. They now a lot more than they are saying about where it originated from and by all accounts wet markets and the eating of meat not fit for human consumption is still rife.

China will be made a pariah by the international community when all this is said and done. They have fcuked the world with their dishonesty.

Unless I misread, that says nothing at all about the UK government admitting that Coronavirus deaths are greatly under reported. Perhaps you could quote where the article does?

Hooked wrote: »
    Just not good enough... We're all playing our part. They've had what, 5 weeks to get the testing sorted. Lucky we all stayed home and helped them out - or testing would be the least of their worries!

The longer this goes on - the less confident I am in the "powers that be".
    How long do you imagine it takes to get a system in place? Consider the three phases, physical testing, analysis, reporting and contact tracing. To that mix add having required supplies including chemicals guaranteed so that the system can provide support for the 15000 daily target they have set themselves.

Russia breaks its highest daily total record for the 6th day in a row with 4000 new cases this morning

Unless I misread, that says nothing at all about the UK government admitting that Coronavirus deaths are greatly under reported. Perhaps you could quote where the article does?

'The Pandemic Multi-Agency Response Teams (Pmart), began work in the capital last week amid projections that around one third of suspected coronavirus deaths could happen outside hospitals.'

It's projected by this government body that up to a third of deaths occurred outside the home, which would mean they're unreported. So they are now going about accurately reporting the large number of unreported dead by collecting all the bodies

BanditLuke wrote: »
    All they are saying is that it is not their recommendation, they want everyone on the same page. There was also a comment last night about what NHs are telling families of residents.

It's projected by this government body that up to a third of deaths occurred outside the home, which would mean they're unreported, and are now being collected . So they are now going about accurately reporting the large number of unreported dead

About time. I look forward to Johnson standing up and admitting that they hid the real figures all along.

All they are saying is that it is not their recommendation, they want everyone on the same page. There was also a comment last night about what NHs are telling families of residents.
    Yep they wanted consistent implementation of recommendations from NPHET. Otherwise every nursing home, industry, sporting association, retailer etc etc would be off on solo runs. All of us moving through stages at the same time was important.

• Advertisement

5 weeks ago..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112770129&postcount=2670

2 days ago UK having to ask India for paracetamol.
    The Indian government has approved the export of 2,800,000 packets of paracetamol to the UK.

The medicine will be distributed to leading UK supermarkets and retailers, the Department for International Trade announced on Tuesday (14).

The drug is prescribed to deal with fever, which is one of the key symptoms of coronavirus. The UK has 93,873 cases of people who tested positive, besides 12,107 deaths, according to Reuters tally on Wednesday (15).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-receive-nearly-3-million-packets-of-paracetamol

https://www.pharmacy.biz/india-to-ship-nearly-three-million-packets-of-paracetamol-to-uk/

Isn't there some kind of announcement or report imminent from HIQA/NEPHT on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

This is far more serious than spitting in a guards face. Yet no sanction or no investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There was news at the end of February about a nursing home in Washington or New York with residents falling ill.

Isn't there some kind of announcement or report imminent from HIQA/NEPHT on this?
    Last I heard they were waiting to see whether the tests were proving accurate before considering whether to proceed. The UK spent millions on a batch of dodgy testing kits I seem to remember.

We also have to decide what to do with the data. Is it "interesting", or is it useful in some way e.g. immunity passports. I imagine they don't want distractions at the moment as they try to scale up testing.

This is far more serious than spitting in a guards face. Yet no sanction or no investigation.
    Yep, let's lock up all of NEPHT for restating their position.

Last I heard they were waiting to see whether the tests were proving accurate before considering whether to proceed. The UK spent millions on a batch of dodgy testing kits I seem to remember.

We also have to decide what to do with the data. Is it "interesting", or is it useful in some way e.g. immunity passports. I imagine they don't want distractions at the moment as they try to scale up testing.
    Harris did mention that they would be producing a report, an evaluation of the possible options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

And all the posters saying it was impossible for China to cover up tjodands of deaths in this day and age..if it smells like bull**** it's because it usually is!

China are probably still lying about their figures, even with this change of their death toll. Doubtful we'll ever hear the true figures from them.

WHO have lost credibilty because of their attitude towards China and the statements they've come out with since the initial outbreak was being reported in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

gilead drug trial looks like we found the cure!!!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

gilead drug trial looks like we found the cure!!!
    Ok, not quite, but very promising early data! Remdesivir was a big hope all along.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement