Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

s1ippy wrote: »
    During the press briefing yesterday when it was mentioned by a journo that there are people flooding the tourist spots.

https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1vOxwoNrWOPxB

Find it yourself if you want, it's towards the end, last ten minutes. People might learn something if they actually watched these things and got the facts instead of just cherry-picking the coverage they consume and demanding sources when people quote them.

Touchy! I simply asked you when because I hadn't heard it. Take a deep breath and relax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scotland-records-47-new-coronavirus-deaths-taking-total-to-542-11971958

818 deaths in England today. Scotland has reported 49 more deaths. Wales and NI have yet to announce. The youngest victim in the UK was 11 years old.

The numbers today include 33 people with no known health condiitons, aged between 29 and 94.

Our closest neighbour. The UK is the new Italy. It's heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So China is the only Asian country that has done a great job tackling this?

Nonsense... You guys are just making weak excuses why we can't do a MUCH better job with this as a country!

Like I said, many of these Asian countries spring into action in a very positive and proactive manner... they see solutions, rather than getting bogged down in every potential problem.

Some of you guys choose to focus on all the potential problems, rather than focusing on solutions. You have the wrong mindset.

China didn't do a great job on this because they're communist... they did a great job, because they had the correct mindset. Just like other Asian countries around them. They had a positive and proactive, problem solving mindset.

China didn’t do a good job at all. They’ve lied and covered up the whole time.

If any country has done a good or excellent job it’s Taiwan.
    Go and educate yourself on what they did to restrict it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

New Home

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Arts & Crafts, Cool Vids & Pics & Links, Nature & Bird Watching, ZTest, TLGH
    Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
    I thought China and Italy had a few also
    There have been reports of one of the first doctors to blow the whistle that got reinfected and died.

Also, there's the link from last February I mentioned earlier:

China also closed the lab that first sequenced the DNA of the virus and made it available to the world, without giving officials the opportunity to silence them, disappeared the citizen journalist who was blogging the outbreak in Wuhan to the world before the lockdown and has generally persecuted everyone who has told the outside world anything about the situation in China in the early days of the epidemic: https://www.businessinsider.com/china-coronavirus-whistleblowers-speak-out-vanish-2020-2?op=1&r=US&IR=T#a-video-fang-posted-on-february-1-showed-a-hospital-in-wuhan-where-eight-body-bags-were-being-loaded-onto-the-back-of-a-truck-the-footage-also-showed-an-overwhelmed-medical-clinic-it-went-viral-13

A female doctor in a Wuhan hospital who initially noticed and reported the outbreak, has also gone missing and her blog posts were removed: https://scienceintegritydigest.com/2020/03/11/dr-ai-fen-the-wuhan-whistle/

If China or those it has influenced try to sanitize their role in, and responsibility for this disaster, will encounter stiff opposition. A bit softer than the Tiananmin Square massacre and suppression but basically the same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

When?
    I don’t think that we will suppress this virus by becoming the valley of the squinting window

https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/

There was some mention about "Facebook Sheila's" as well afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Touchy! I simply asked you when because I hadn't heard it. Take a deep breath and relax.
    I didn't mean it to be an indictment of you, I've just seen a lot of ignorance and herd mentality here. I shouldn't always be the one having to justify myself when my views are evidence-based.

Telling somebody to take a deep breath and relax on the Internet is so humiliating for them, mind you don't hurt someone's mental health :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Our closest neighbour. The UK is the new Italy. It's heartbreaking.

That's very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

s1ippy wrote: »
    I didn't mean it to be an indictment of you, I've just seen a lot of ignorance and herd mentality here. I shouldn't always be the one having to justify myself when my views are evidence-based.

Telling somebody to take a deep breath and relax on the Internet is so humiliating for them, mind you don't hurt someone's mental health :D

I wouldn't mind me. I'm just a randomer passing time pleasantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I miss work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

sonofenoch wrote: »

Like ourselves, didn't UK have a universal BCG vaccination programme for decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Blazer wrote: »
    <...>
    Also none of the staff were wearing gloves and no sanitizer for customers coming into the shop.
    I'm just back from my shift in grocery supermarket and I have to tell you people have had enough of this already, forget the next three weeks, nobody will give a flying f*ck in a week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hold on now. Are the revoked ones included in those cards and bans or excluded? Were the bans recent, or do they represent bans from weeks ago and which are no longer relevant, in which case you should exclude them. Or include them, but clearly point out that they are irrelevant.

Also, how many of the bands were handed out by German mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Authorities in Moscow say pandemic is reaching crisis points as medical infrastructure reaches capacity

'The number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-moscow-putin.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

sonofenoch wrote: »

Didn't the UK have a BCG program? The deaths coming out of there and I don't think they are reporting all deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Germany are testing 116k per day , the UK are hoping to be testing 100k a day by the end of this month , Ireland tests how many a day?

Big difference between hoping to test and actually testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm just back from my shift in grocery supermarket and I have to tell you people have had enough of this already, forget the next three weeks, nobody will give a flying f*ck in a week.

Starting to notice this myself. The good weather is part of it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I miss work

There's a part of me doesn't miss it at all, almost 4 weeks out of it and I now realise that 95% of my stress comes from my work environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

wakka12 wrote: »
    Authorities in Moscow say pandemic is reaching crisis points as medical infrastructure reaches capacity

'The number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-moscow-putin.html

It's a bit weird, or is my thinking wrong.

But it seems to me that the climb in cases starts off really slow, then after maybe a month or so (?) suddenly surges?

Could the virus have been in europe far earlier?
    If that's the scenario, we could witness a terrible toll in other countries soon, hope I'm wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

eddie73 wrote: »
    Big difference between hoping to test and actually testing.

Very true. To date they have ran 4,934 tests per million pop. We have ran 10,734 (according to Worldometer https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At the micro level, the consequences of this pandemic are huge deglobalization has further accelerated. The Chinese behemoth will suffer most strangely enough, karma maybe

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a bit weird, or is my thinking wrong.

But it seems to me that the climb in cases starts off really slow, then after maybe a month or so (?) suddenly surges?

Could the virus have been in europe far earlier?
    If that's the scenario, we could witness a terrible toll in other countries soon, hope I'm wrong :(

It seems like that to me too, seems to go almost undetected for a very long time and then over the course of week an entire country is overwhelmed

I also find it strange that despite the worldwide lockdowns,and almost all countries worldwide escaping an epidemic until at least March, and now almost every country in the world is experiencing a major epidmic amidst a very harsh lockdown. Its odd that hardly any countries experienced large outbreaks when travel/lifestyle was completely unrestricted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Didn't the UK have a BCG program? The deaths coming out of there and I don't think they are reporting all deaths.

Think they had more a test to see if it was needed could be wrong......was is mandatory in Ireland? could be wrong again .......but I had the marks on both arms, one as a baby and another booster in school

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

A bit macabre but great website. https://countrymeters.info/en/Ireland

Seamai wrote: »
    There's a part of me doesn't miss it at all, almost 4 weeks out of it and I now realise that 95% of my stress comes from my work environment.

Funny.

I'm a person who doesn't get stressed at all, or so I think, but I am WFH.

And still, I find myself more relaxed these days, despite my worries for my parents and others. We also have been more in touch than usual though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Please let the barbers open up soon. The head on me &#55357;&#56873;&#55357;&#56873;

My bro-in-law shaved his head. Looks pretty good!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Funny.

I'm a person who doesn't get stressed at all, or so I think, but I am WFH.

And still, I find myself more relaxed these days, despite my worries for my parents and others. We also have been more in touch than usual though.

Maybe it's the lack of crowds and traffic, the commute etc. But I find myself at peace recently.

There's also the question of life and death though, that does tend to still the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What weakness?

What do you want him to do right now?

Be straight with people. He said that they didn't want to give the gardai extra powers & then 24 later did exactly that.

He then stressed that it was only for the Easter weekend but then extended them for three weeks.

He's promised over again about testing but it's still a mess.

He started so well but is now reverting to the man who was thrown out by the electorate.

• Advertisement

My bro-in-law shaved his head. Looks pretty good!

I just gave my fringe a good cut back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement