Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

Seriously? That's BS. I can guarantee you that if someone in a nursing home needs ICU admission they get it.

I work in hospital and have worked in ICU in the past. There is a decision made at ward level about what level of escalation of treatment a patient will be elevated to.

If it's believed patient would benefit from an ICU admission, they would be sent to ICU, if they have multiple co-morbidities/ are very frail. That decision becomes harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Like all these organisations they are not some mystical all knowing, all seeing overlords.

They depend on member countries to report accurately. Countries can not be forced to do this. There is no way to enforce.

I'm confused as to what some, like Trump, thought they were suppose to or able to do?

People like Trump and the bozos on here that follow him are only interested in propping some sort of political ideal. Pointing fingers at the WHO is simply part of that.

The reality is, is that there really wasn't much the WHO could have done, without getting their own boots on the ground in China and gathering their own facts.

Something they weren't going to be able to do if they started off proceedings by calling the Chinese spoofers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Has anybody a link to the detailed map released by the HSE showing the location of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Putting my Gemma O'Doherty hat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Tony EH wrote: »
    People like Trump and the bozos on here that follow him are only interested in propping some sort of political ideal. Pointing fingers at the WHO is simply part of that.

The reality is, is that there really wasn't much the WHO could have done, without getting their own boots on the ground in China and gathering their own facts.

Something they weren't going to be able to do if they started off proceedings by calling the Chinese spoofers.

For four and a half billion a year they would need to be giving back good information and advice, of course they should have boots on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Has anybody a link to the detailed map released by the HSE showing the location of cases?

See here daily for latest:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/

Today:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-20-00-16-april-2020.pdf

509963.png

It could be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1251076153768542209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From RTE Feed. - Use of Citywest
    The HSE's Chief Operating Officer Anne O'Connor confirmed that the HSE has "block booked" Dublin's CityWest hotel until the end of December.

She said she believed that the booking had been made for a seven month period.

In relation to whether the HSE foresees using the facilities Ms O'Connor said "the challenge is that we don't exactly know. We hope we never have to use it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You're a liar.

This is the tweet the WHO passed on in January.

1.jpg

They were only saying that the Chinese had found no clear evidence of human to human contact. They mention nothing of their own data on the matter, because they had no clear data.

Are you just going to not bother addressing the Taiwanese warning email of 31st December?

Head in the sand stuff if so.

For four and a half billion a year they would need to be giving back good information and advice, of course they should have boots on the ground

The Chinese only let the WHO send in an investigative team on the 7th February. If the WHO had started out by saying they thought the Chinese were telling porkies, they wouldn't have been let in at all, regardless of what money they're in receipt of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

LOL, Shudda, wudda, cudda. :rolleyes:

What a pity all you heroes weren't around to tell the WHO what to do.
    I bought myself a new freezer and three months' worth of long-life food by the end of January, and advised my friends and relations to stock up. Dismissed as a loon by most, of course, since the WHO and HSE were saying everything was fine. Didn't take my already-booked holiday to Northern Italy in mid-February. Even up until late-February, I was arguing with a co-organiser for an event with ~200 attendees scheduled for end of March, saying we should cancel, and being countered with "but the CMO said everything is fine..."

I did what little I could, Tony. What about you?

Edit: And to clarify, I do think Trump is a cretin. But I do think criticism of the WHO is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

They likely don't send most nursing home residents to ICU. Of course your ICU numbers will be down if you don't bother treating the very sickest and dying.

ICU numbers down, deaths up. That's the story here. The two don't really don't add up.

Hard to see positives here if deaths keep rising. Maybe they could actually try and save some of the nursing home patients, and could have tried those in Port Laoise.

That is a disgusting comment. It's also very wrong. Many nursing homes patients are brought to hospital. Many more, unfortunately, would not be up to the rigours of hospital treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I see some prisoners are starting to die in prison in the UK. I can see a swathe of lawsuits happening. Nobody was given a death sentence and it was up to the authorities to ensure their safety regardless of any crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see some prisoners are starting to die in prison in the UK. I can see a swathe of lawsuits happening. Nobody was given a death sentence and it was up to the authorities to ensure their safety regardless of any crime.

Hardly an intentional 'death sentence'.

You could die of anything in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

Yes terribly sad, the deaths in nursing homes has nothing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

hysterics - dying because of an illness in prison is not a death sentence

Are you just going to not bother addressing the Taiwanese warning email of 31st December?

Head in the sand stuff if so.

Taiwan was merely operating on an assumption, based on their experience with SARS in 2003 and they queried this with the WHO on Dec 31st.

However, there were no facts involved that the WHO could work with.

In any case, they absolutely needed China's cooperation, because that was where the outbreak was. Causing ructions there would have meant China closing up and making things more difficult for the WHO than they already were.

Your head is stuck up Trump's arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Be right back

Good job this gentleman wasn't in that home isn't it on Sat. Captain Tom raised nearly 2mill for NHS and he will be 100 on 30th April. Has underlying conditions.

19 million at the last count!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Trump has gone full retard:
    GXQuM1N.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So is this what we get after letting people free at the airport a couple of weeks ago?

Ficheall wrote: »
    I bought myself a new freezer and three months' worth of long-life food by the end of January, and advised my friends and relations to stock up. Dismissed as a loon by most, of course, since the WHO and HSE were saying everything was fine. Didn't take my already-booked holiday to Northern Italy in mid-February. Even up until late-February, I was arguing with a co-organiser for an event with ~200 attendees scheduled for end of March, saying we should cancel, and being countered with "but the CMO said everything is fine..."

I did what little I could, Tony. What about you?

Edit: And to clarify, I do think Trump is a cretin. But I do think criticism of the WHO is justified.

If you were that clued in you would have realised we have very good food security and stocking up for 3 months was a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Inquitus wrote: »
    GXQuM1N.png

He was already there lol

polesheep wrote: »
    That is a disgusting comment. It's also very wrong. Many nursing homes patients are brought to hospital. Many more, unfortunately, would not be up to the rigours of hospital treatment.

More disgusting than the shambles that is protection for nursing home residents?

I said almost two months ago if we didn't try our best to stop the spread to Ireland, we'd be in deep sh*t down the line.

Others more influential than me also said it. All ignored by the HSE and minister for health. The direct consequences of their inaction were deaths in homes like those in Port Laoise.

So save me the virtue signalling and moral grand standing. We could have saved these lives if we acted earlier. Instead they were condemned to a needless death because of HSE and government failures and inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I bought myself a new freezer and three months' worth of long-life food by the end of January, and advised my friends and relations to stock up. Dismissed as a loon by most, of course, since the WHO and HSE were saying everything was fine.

And everything that has happened since then has proven that you didn't need to buy an additional freezer and three months of food. Just like a lady I know who bought 25 packets of toilet roll with 16 rolls per pack and going around boasting about it. That's 25 X 16 which is 400 individual toilet rolls. Utter madness and totally unnecessary.

More disgusting than the shambles that is protection for nursing home residents?

I said almost two months ago if we didn't try our best to stop the spread to Ireland, we'd be in deep sh*t down the line.

Others more influential than me also said it. All ignored by the HSE and minister for health. The direct consequences of their inaction were deaths in homes like those in Port Laoise.

So save me the virtue signalling and moral grand standing. We could have saved these lives if we acted earlier. Instead they were condemned to a needless death because of HSE and government failures and inaction.

Number of deaths in nursing homes are on a par with other countries.

If you were that clued in you would have realised we have very good food security and stocking up for 3 months was a waste of time

Nope he/she had foresight something bad was coming as opposed to the clowns who said everything would be grand.

He/she also might have had to cocoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The idea was to avoid having to leave the house and risk infection in the supermarkets etc...

Number of deaths in nursing homes are on a par with other countries.

Which countries? Taiwan? Slovenia? Norway?

Is this a race to the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

GXQuM1N.png

i mean its not unreasonable to think that trump could actually start a civil.

Taiwan was merely operating on an assumption, based on their experience with SARS in 2003 and they queried this with the WHO on Dec 31st.

However, there were no facts involved that the WHO could work with.

In any case, they absolutely needed China's cooperation, because that was where the outbreak was. Causing ructions there would have meant China closing up and making things more difficult for the WHO than they already were.

Your head is stuck up Trump's arse.

Fortunately not.

AS for being stuck up arses, hows the Chinese Presidents? :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

froog wrote: »
    i mean its not unreasonable to think that trump could actually start a civil.

He will do anything to deflect attention from his managemnet of the crisis. I actually wouldnt put it past him to cause some aggression in run up to election, eg with China.

Nobel prize winner who discovered HIV (a virus) saying virus could only have been created in a lab.

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chinese-coronavirus-is-a-man-made-virus-according-to-luc-montagnier-the-man-who-discovered-hiv/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

"So far, no transmission of the virus in supermarkets, restaurants or hairdressers has been proved.” - German virologist
    “There is no significant risk of catching the disease when you go shopping. Severe outbreaks of the infection were always a result of people being closer together over a longer period of time, for example the après- ski parties in Ischgl, Austria.” He could also not find any evidence of ‘living’ viruses on surfaces. “When we took samples from door handles, phones or toilets it has not been possible to cultivate the virus in the laboratory on the basis of these swabs….”

“To actually ‘get’ the virus it would be necessary that someone coughs into their hand, immediately touches a door knob and then straight after that another person grasps the handle and goes on to touches their face.” Streeck therefore believes that there is little chance of transmission through contact with so-called contaminated surfaces.

The fact that COVID 19 is a droplet infection and cannot be transmitted through the air had previously also been confirmed by virologist Christian Drosten of Berlin’s Charité. He had pointed out in an interview that coronavirus is extremely sensitive to drying out, so the only way of contracting it is if you were to “inhale the droplets.”

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

The idea was to avoid having to leave the house and risk infection in the supermarkets etc...

It's a totally moot point as unless you are very high risk you will untimately have to leave the house as this virus is here to stay untill a vaccine arrives which doesn't look like happening anytime soon. I haven't personally visited a supermarket myself in over a month and I've managed to do it without stockpiling or buying an additional freezer and 3 months worth of food.

Which countries? Taiwan? Slovenia? Norway?

Is this a race to the bottom?

You said this:

Instead they were condemned to a needless death because of HSE and government failures and inaction.

The point you missed is that the government and HSE's performance in this regard is on a par with other countries. It doesn't suit your agenda I know, but the government/HSE's performance isn't an outlier.

fits wrote: »
    He will do anything to deflect attention from his managemnet of the crisis. I actually wouldnt put it past him to cause some aggression in run up to election, eg with China.

there are definitely going to be a lot of those q anon nutters taking those tweets as a sign to start forming militias and shooting up ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GXQuM1N.png

'Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States'

• Advertisement

Nobel prize winner who discovered HIV (a virus) saying virus could only have been created in a lab.

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chinese-coronavirus-is-a-man-made-virus-according-to-luc-montagnier-the-man-who-discovered-hiv/

Did a quick check on the guy. Seems to check out.

509967.png
    “With my colleague, bio-mathematician Jean-Claude Perez, we carefully analyzed the description of the genome of this RNA virus,” explains Luc Montagnier, interviewed by Dr Jean-François Lemoine for the daily podcast at Pourquoi Docteur, adding that others have already explored this avenue: Indian researchers have already tried to publish the results of the analyses that showed that this coronavirus genome contained sequences of another virus, … the HIV virus (AIDS virus), but they were forced to withdraw their findings as the pressure from the mainstream was too great.

quick google of this guy shows he went rogue about 10 years ago, claiming all sorts of nonsense about DNA emitting electromagnetic radiation and seeming to support central ideas from homeopathy, one of the most bull**** pseudo sciences known to man. he's also 87 now so take anything he says with a large truckload of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Oh shut up.
    Ignore what you want. Nobody gives a shit.

But you're still talking bollocks.
    I've no interest in your bollocks talk.

Mod: @Tony EH - Take 24 hours off from the thread. Reassess your posting style.

quick google of this guy shows he went rogue about 10 years ago, claiming all sorts of nonsense about DNA emitting electromagnetic radiation and seeming to support cetral ideas from homeopathy, one of the most bull**** pseudo sciences known to man. he's also 87 now so take anything he says with a large truckload of salt.

Looks like a serial killer's mugshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Luc Montagnier appears to be something of a maverick in his researches. He's also published studies which buoy up homeopathy and 'teleporting' DNA.

Point being that I can't discount the idea of Covid-19 being man-made, but I can't really accept one scientist's opinion as the smoking gun, either, and not from one who's published other studies which have generated scepticism in the wider scientific community.

The idea that this is a theory that is being suppressed by the mainstream media - if the mainstream news media were to give fair airing to every theory of why Covid-19 exists, they'd have no other programmes on TV.

You said this:

Instead they were condemned to a needless death because of HSE and government failures and inaction.

The point you missed is that the government and HSE's performance in this regard is on a par with other countries. It doesn't suit your agenda I know, but the government/HSE's performance isn't an outlier.

Nope, if you've been following this, you'd realise we missed a number of opportunities to firstly stop it coming into Ireland significantly, to stop its spread once here and to prepare nursing homes. We had weeks of notice about nursing homes from Italy, Spain and UK.

We cannot use the excuse of hindsight is great, and we also cannot use the excuse that we are on a par with nations who were weeks ahead of us.

Now why on earth do we want to compare ourselves to nations who also made a balls of it? Is this how you live your life, comparing to the worst practice not the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

lawred2 wrote: »
    hysterics - dying because of an illness in prison is not a death sentence
    It is a death sentence if you are not given the choice to self isolate and then die of the virus.
    What if this happened to somebody with a wrongful conviction?

quick google of this guy shows he went rogue about 10 years ago, claiming all sorts of nonsense about DNA emitting electromagnetic radiation and seeming to support central ideas from homeopathy, one of the most bull**** pseudo sciences known to man. he's also 87 now so take anything he says with a large truckload of salt.

I don't like to judge a book by it's cover but he does look crazy. Good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Clearly a virus closely related to SARS AND Mers which have been problematic over past 15-16 years could only have been created in a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Clearly a virus closely related to SARS AND Mers which have been problematic over past 15-16 years could only have been created in a lab.

Why? (not that clear to me)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement