Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

'Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States'

Its gets better
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251181563506757632?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If it came from the lab, it would have been accidental. China have been studying bat coronaviruses in Wuhan and the US cables from China did state the facility there in Wuhan had potential biosecurity issues, but nothing was seemingly done to rectify the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Clearly a virus closely related to SARS AND Mers which have been problematic over past 15-16 years could only have been created in a lab.

You don't believe in that evolution mumbo jumbo? Or that spherical Earth nonsense either?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Confirmed deaths worldwide now at 150,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

froog wrote: »
    quick google of this guy shows he went rogue about 10 years ago, claiming all sorts of nonsense about DNA emitting electromagnetic radiation and seeming to support central ideas from homeopathy, one of the most bull**** pseudo sciences known to man. he's also 87 now so take anything he says with a large truckload of salt.

I take issue with saying someone talks nonsense because they're 87. David Attenborough is 94 next month, no problem with his mind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Italy: +3,493 new cases/+575 additional deaths.

New cases down a bit on yesterday and additional deaths up a little on yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

JP100 wrote: »
    It's a totally moot point as unless you are very high risk you will untimately have to leave the house as this virus is here to stay untill a vaccine arrives which doesn't look like happening anytime soon. I haven't personally visited a supermarket myself in over a month and I've managed to do it without stockpiling or buying an additional freezer and 3 months worth of food.
    How is it a moot point? Reducing exposure means reducing the risk of infection. I know I'll have to run the gauntlet eventually, but there's no point in doing so prematurely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It is a death sentence if you are not given the choice to self isolate and then die of the virus.
    What if this happened to somebody with a wrongful conviction?

They are being given the chance to self isolate. 1200 are and another 4000 to be released on a temporary licence.

It is a death sentence if you are not given the choice to self isolate and then die of the virus.
    What if this happened to somebody with a wrongful conviction?

Johnny Cash has returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Tonight's stand up comedy show from the White House could be a good one... unless someone slips some anti-psychotics into his coffee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Italy: +3,493 new cases/+575 additional deaths.

New cases down a bit on yesterday and additional deaths up a little on yesterday.

Italy very steady at the moment and quite postive in other aspects.
    Italy's update:

- Number of new cases down
    - Number of new deaths up
    - Number of hospitalized down
    - Number of ICU patients down
    - Number of new tests at record high
    - Number of newly recovered people up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Why? (not that clear to me)

Nor me. Here's the paper for any amateur / professional microbiologist's who'd like to know more. Do share findings. Thanks

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339331507_Wuhan_nCoV-2019_SARS_Coronaviruses_Genomics_Fractal_Metastructures_Evolution_and_Origins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Trump is a horrible cretin but the WHO will get loads of backing bs stories made up to sound good for them just because Trump has criticised them.

So I'd advise all to do your own research on things and not just swallow whole what you read here, with nefarious links added, or by social media 'experts' or 'reporters'.

It's hard to get to the truth on anything with Trump involved because you have so much lying on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We cannot use the excuse of hindsight is great, and we also cannot use the excuse that we are on a par with nations who were weeks ahead of us.
    Hindsight makes everything obvious and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

'Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States'

I think one of the most frightening aspects of this pandemic is how bad trump is ..i heard George Bush speak and he came across so well read and intelligent in comparison ...
    How can anyone think having this man in power is a good idea i don't know..All jokes aside it is a utterly depressing state of affairs and must be dreadful for the majority of Americans who despise him ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

They are being given the chance to self isolate. 1200 are and another 4000 to be released on a temporary licence.

The ambulance chasing solicitors are probably parked outside the prison gates as we speak.
    They would be on the gravy train representing COVID19 prisoners families for wrongful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I think one of the most frightening aspects of this pandemic is how bad trump is ..i heard George Bush speak and he came across so well read and intelligent in comparison ...
    How can anyone think having this man in power is a good idea i don't know..All jokes aside it is a utterly depressing state of affairs and must be dreadful for the majority of Americans who despise him ..

That's the issue though, a majority of Americans don't despise him and he's still favourite for re-election. Also, didn't his poll ratings rebound upwards again very lately? Same with Johnson in the UK. Two leaders who clearly mishandled the crisis but who are doing very well in the polls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Obvious solution is not to vote for him in the election. Unfortunately though plenty will still do so.

What time is the HSE announcement this evening?

That's the issue though, a majority of Americans don't despise him and he's still favourite for re-election. Also, didn't his poll ratings rebound upwards again very lately? Same with Johnson in the UK. Two leaders who clearly mishandled the crisis but who are doing very well in the polls.

Trump's ratings have gone down in recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Due to start now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Over the past 3 days I’ve noticed way more traffic on the roads when out for my short daily walk

Are ppl starting to disregard the lockdown ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Should be due any time now.

I thought they had rebounded slightly. In any case has his numbers dropped significantly though? He does seem somewhat teflon like otherwise his poll ratings should be absolutely plummeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Obvious solution is not to vote for him in the election. Unfortunately though plenty will still do so.

Yeah i can see him getting in again alright Joe Biden is no great shakes either ...The way he conducts himself in office is unreal those tweets are a absolute disgrace ...
    Like something a petulant child would write ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

growleaves wrote: »

Means nothing, not proved it doesn't either. There was a case of a man getting it from a fellow traveler at the back of a bus some time back. Can't see how a supermarket if not well ventilated could be that much different. Where is all this community transmission coming from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Ficheall wrote: »
    How is it a moot point? Reducing exposure means reducing the risk of infection. I know I'll have to run the gauntlet eventually, but there's no point in doing so prematurely...

Two of the individuals leading the fight against the coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci MD age 79… a jogger and power walker and the public face and the most trusted team leader of the US fight against Covid-19.

Dr. Zhong Nanshan FRCPE FRCP FRCPI age 83… a weightlifter and the public face of China's virus containment efforts. He was sent to Wohan to sort out the problem there in January and locked down the city 2 days later.

A thought…

If any of these two very impressive doctors (aged 79 and 83) lived in Ireland, they would not be leading the charge against this damn virus.

Instead they would be under 'house arrest without trial'
    (or ‘cocooning as the advertising execs call it).

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is there any Bush candidates?

I thought they had rebounded slightly. In any case has his numbers dropped significantly though? He does seem somewhat teflon like otherwise his poll ratings should be absolutely plummeting.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/308675/trump-job-rating-slides-satisfaction-tumbles.aspx

6% drop in recent days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah i can see him getting in again alright Joe Biden is no great shakes either ...The way he conducts himself in office is unreal those tweets are a absolute disgrace ...
    Like something a petulant child would write ...

What is wrong in America, millions of people and the only two presidential candidates they can come up with are old men in their seventies. Politics at the moment is fcuked in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

597 new cases +112
    44 deaths RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Put stupid in charge, get stupid results.

Who'd have thunk it?

The absence of real, authoritative, respectable leadership in the world today is concerning to say the least.

Once you get beyond Merkel, Macron and maybe Abe in Japan the cupboard is bare.

RIP to the 44 deceased.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Due to start now

Due to start and actual start are two very different things for these HSE conferences and before anyone pipes in about folk only wanting to know or watch these conferences because of the entertainment, pipe down. Folk want to know the times because they are anxious and want to inform themselves of what's happening. When you watch the news you are only getting someone else's interpretation of these conferences. If you watch it yourself you can better understand how this is going and how it may play out. The better informed you are about it in of itself reduces anxiety and brings about a degree of certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

His nightly rants aren't going to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Deaths 44 - 530 total
    Positive tests total 13980

Mean age of the dead total, 69 (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

eagle eye wrote: »
    Trump is a horrible cretin but the WHO will get loads of backing bs stories made up to sound good for them just because Trump has criticised them.

So I'd advise all to do your own research on things and not just swallow whole what you read here, with nefarious links added, or by social media 'experts' or 'reporters'.

It's hard to get to the truth on anything with Trump involved because you have so much lying on both sides.

Im just so sick of the whole Trump stuff tbh. Who honestly cares anymore leave them to it and let them vote for one of the two idiots on offer in November. At least they get a vote unlike the Chinese I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Due to start and actual start are two very different things for these HSE conferences and before anyone pipes in about folk only wanting to know or watch these conferences because of the entertainment, pipe down. Folk want to know the times because they are anxious and want to inform themselves of what's happening. When you watch the news you are only getting someone else's interpretation of these conferences. If you watch it yourself you can better understand how this is going and how it may play out. The better informed you are about it in of itself reduces anxiety and brings about a degree of certainty.

I'm sure they let it start a bit later than planned some days for the craic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Can I thank this post a few more times :D

Don't be greedy. I want to thank it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May the 44 people who died rest in peace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

How did the 23 year old that died during the week suddenly age by two years since yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thoughts with the families of the 44. RIP.

Any breakdown of the ages etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

s1ippy wrote: »
    How did the 23 year old that died during the week suddenly age by two years since yesterday?

FAKE NEWS !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thoughts with the families of the 44. RIP.

Any breakdown of the ages etc?

Median: 84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

saabsaab wrote: »
    Means nothing, not proved it doesn't either. There was a case of a man getting it from a fellow traveler at the back of a bus some time back. Can't see how a supermarket if not well ventilated could be that much different. Where is all this community transmission coming from now?

Well for one thing, the CMO has said that community transmission is close to zero. And the supermarkets are not reporting their staff all getting sick, and if they were it would be front page headlines.

As for the "case of a man getting it from a man at the back of a bus"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

growleaves wrote: »

Im happy to hear this too. In my local supervalu, there has not been one employee out due to Covid 19. I was really surprised but think thats a really positive thing to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

hmmm wrote: »
    Hindsight makes everything obvious and easy.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Two of the individuals leading the fight against the coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci MD age 79… a jogger and power walker and the public face and the most trusted team leader of the US fight against Covid-19.

Dr. Zhong Nanshan FRCPE FRCP FRCPI age 83… a weightlifter and the public face of China's virus containment efforts. He was sent to Wohan to sort out the problem there in January and locked down the city 2 days later.

A thought…

If any of these two very impressive doctors (aged 79 and 83) lived in Ireland, they would not be leading the charge against this damn virus.

Instead they would be under 'house arrest without trial'
    (or ‘cocooning as the advertising execs call it).

:(

A policy both would approve of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement