Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No mention of testing residents in Nursing homes or residential homes setting.

­

­

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

cefh17 wrote: »
    I'm sure they let it start a bit later than planned some days for the craic :rolleyes:

Please do not misrepresent what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Two of the individuals leading the fight against the coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci MD age 79… a jogger and power walker and the public face and the most trusted team leader of the US fight against Covid-19.

Dr. Zhong Nanshan FRCPE FRCP FRCPI age 83… a weightlifter and the public face of China's virus containment efforts. He was sent to Wohan to sort out the problem there in January and locked down the city 2 days later.

A thought…

If any of these two very impressive doctors (aged 79 and 83) lived in Ireland, they would not be leading the charge against this damn virus.

Instead they would be under 'house arrest without trial'
    (or ‘cocooning as the advertising execs call it).

:(

Fauci has advised full lock down or "house arrest" as you call it.

I don't get your gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Holohan being asked about Keeling's is a bit embarrassing tbh. It has nothing to do with him

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

It’s terrible to think that you become somewhat immune to the statistics every evening when each of those deaths means an entire family and friends etc devastated. Terrible times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

No mention of testing residents in Nursing homes or residential homes setting.

­

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; "At today's meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team, we endorsed a proposal to increase testing of staff and residents across all long-term residential care settings including nursing homes. The behaviour of the virus among vulnerable groups who live in these care settings continues to be a concern and this remains a priority for NPHET.

From RTE live today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

wadacrack wrote: »
    Holohan being asked about Keeling's is a bit embarrassing tbh. It has nothing to do with him

His answer was a good one. He wasn't impressed with the move from Keelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone else think growth rate remains on high side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

s1ippy wrote: »
    An even more pertinent statistic is that of all our cases, one in six is a healthcare worker.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-harris-says-more-stringent-checks-may-be-needed-at-airports-as-crisis-teams-sent-to-nursing-homes-1.4231333
    I feel like my face is being slammed into a sliding door repeatedly. We need screening at the airport, you don't say. I sometimes wonder if he actually genuinely has a serious mental impairment or is it just a brass neck?

No way Simon - you think we need something at airports ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Two of the individuals leading the fight against the coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci MD age 79… a jogger and power walker and the public face and the most trusted team leader of the US fight against Covid-19.

Dr. Zhong Nanshan FRCPE FRCP FRCPI age 83… a weightlifter and the public face of China's virus containment efforts. He was sent to Wohan to sort out the problem there in January and locked down the city 2 days later.

A thought…

If any of these two very impressive doctors (aged 79 and 83) lived in Ireland, they would not be leading the charge against this damn virus.

Instead they would be under 'house arrest without trial'
    (or ‘cocooning as the advertising execs call it).

:(

That's simply not true. If we had either of those doctors with their wealth of experience, I'm sure the government would be more than happy to have them calling the shots or acting in some advisory capacity. Do you have ANY idea how ridiculously accomplished either of those doctors are? It's simply ludicrous to think they would be sidelined when they could be used as assets instead.

"Cocooning" isn't even mandatory, it's just recommended (and for good reason) -- and you can bet both Dr Fauci and Dr Nanshan have not been placed in any situations where they could possibly contract the virus. A crisis can be managed without exposing yourself to the frontline - in fact, for the sake of the continued functioning of government as efficiently as possible, that's how it's supposed to be.

False equivalences and misinformation such as those found above in the post I have quoted give libertarianism a bad name, and frankly libertarianism is embarrassing itself as an ideology in recent days with those reckless antics in Michigan and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; "At today's meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team, we endorsed a proposal to increase testing of staff and residents across all long-term residential care settings including nursing homes. The behaviour of the virus among vulnerable groups who live in these care settings continues to be a concern and this remains a priority for NPHET.

From RTE live today

This is already underway. I read a tweet from a health worker saying all members of staff and all residents had been tested at her nursing home today.

owlbethere wrote: »
    His answer was a good one. He wasn't impressed with the move from Keelings

What did he say specifically? I'm not able to watch it atm but I would have thought anything which ensures the continued integrity of the supply chains would be acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

froog wrote: »
    quick google of this guy shows he went rogue about 10 years ago, claiming all sorts of nonsense about DNA emitting electromagnetic radiation and seeming to support central ideas from homeopathy, one of the most bull**** pseudo sciences known to man. he's also 87 now so take anything he says with a large truckload of salt.

Yeah maybe so. In science everything should be taken with a large grain of salt. He is a noble laureate in the relevant field. I wouldn't dismiss him outright just because homeopathy used something he wrote to justify the pseudoscience.

Interesting story about the person who discovered retro viruses of which corona is one. Check it out if you are not into watching trump ramble on talking nonsense and making reporters wait.

Throughout the 1960s, a biologist named Howard Temin became convinced that something wasn’t right in science’s understanding of viruses. His colleagues dismissed him as a heretic. He turned out to be right — and you're alive today as a result. Season Four ends with a bedtime story about how we should be freed by our doubts, not imprisoned by them.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pushkin-industries/revisionist-history/e/63387220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why are people so pissed off with Keelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sour grapes

Anyone else think growth rate remains on high side ?

No. The number of tests has increased greatly and they are getting better at contact tracing etc.

I would say if we were testing the same number as we were last week the growth rate would look a lot lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Might be why it's spreading in Italy.

Bitter lemons

i heard George Bush speak and he came across so well read and intelligent in comparison ...

George Bush is absurdly well read and very intelligent. Just look up his background. Part of his projected persona was to seem like a average midwestern gentleman with an "aw shoots" attitude. The fact that people think Bush is an idiot is actually testament to how intelligently he played the public relations game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sour grapes

Ripe strawberries, more like it.

Looks like the French are in the same boat.
    Coronavirus: strawberry picking threatened by lack of labor and outlets

Google translation of original article:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bfmtv.com%2Feconomie%2Fcoronavirus-la-cueillette-des-fraises-menacee-par-le-manque-de-main-d-oeuvre-et-de-debouches-1881783.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

joe40 wrote: »
    What is wrong in America, millions of people and the only two presidential candidates they can come up with are old men in their seventies. Politics at the moment is fcuked in the US.

Unlike those young whipper snappers Hillary, Bernie, Nancy and Mitt!

What did he say specifically? I'm not able to watch it atm but I would have thought anything which ensures the continued integrity of the supply chains would be acceptable.

I forget what he said. Maybe someone else can look back and help you out. He's not impressed. Something to do with travel coming in. He doesn't recommend the incoming travelling or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

People didn't realise that humans were required to pick fruit until yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Why don’t rte show the graphs

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

wadacrack wrote: »

Presumably part of his "expert advice" is to maintain unrestricted entry at airports---so this has everything to do with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Here we go an evening of explaing numbers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Might be why it's spreading in Italy.

at least they staying at home, here you can do it in your back garden with friends anytime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

owlbethere wrote: »
    I forget what he said. Maybe someone else can look back and help you out. He's not impressed. Something to do with travel coming in. He doesn't recommend the incoming travelling or something like that.
    He was asked if he had any specific advice to give to keelings I think, which he emphatically said NO to, he said he had only heard the speculation but he would remind companies that there is specific guidance provided for travel and that they would be revising this guidance on the basis of need. He also added that other European countries will be lifting restrictions including travel and that NPHET will have to keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why don’t rte show the graphs

Because rte

The way colm looks at George lee 😂

• Advertisement

Because rte

Sounds like it would have been good to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

EV0NFbdX0AE-51w?format=jpg&name=small

EV0Na8DUYAApZrX?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They're just low hanging fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

That's simply not true. If we had either of those doctors with their wealth of experience, I'm sure the government would be more than happy to have them calling the shots or acting in some advisory capacity. Do you have ANY idea how ridiculously accomplished either of those doctors are? It's simply ludicrous to think they would be sidelined when they could be used as assets instead.

"Cocooning" isn't even mandatory, it's just recommended (and for good reason) -- and you can bet both Dr Fauci and Dr Nanshan have not been placed in any situations where they could possibly contract the virus. A crisis can be managed without exposing yourself to the frontline - in fact, for the sake of the continued functioning of government as efficiently as possible, that's how it's supposed to be.

False equivalences and misinformation such as those found above in the post I have quoted give libertarianism a bad name, and frankly libertarianism is embarrassing itself as an ideology in recent days with those reckless antics in Michigan and beyond.

This 'cocooning' or 'shielding' in the UK is straight out of the 'Herd Immunity' handbook. Let the virus run wild and lock the over 70s up for 4 months or more.

I am in agreement with the sentiments echoed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Unlike those young whipper snappers Hillary, Bernie, Nancy and Mitt!

You missed his point. He is making that exact point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They're just low hanging fruit

Bravo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP to the 44 deceased.

Another high number of deaths, RIP today's deceased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

More disgusting than the shambles that is protection for nursing home residents?

I said almost two months ago if we didn't try our best to stop the spread to Ireland, we'd be in deep sh*t down the line.

Others more influential than me also said it. All ignored by the HSE and minister for health. The direct consequences of their inaction were deaths in homes like those in Port Laoise.

So save me the virtue signalling and moral grand standing. We could have saved these lives if we acted earlier. Instead they were condemned to a needless death because of HSE and government failures and inaction.

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. In your usual rush to post something... anything, your mouth got ahead of your brain and you made a disgraceful and disgusting comment. Be a man and take it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Another high number of deaths and a 23 year old among the dead.

Tony said it again, he doesnt want to see inwards travelling except for essential reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

It's fruitless, and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Keelings are really in a jam now.

I guess Tony made a mistake earlier when he said the dead were aged between 25 and 105?

I would say the keelings thing will see a clampdown at airports.

Same as sweet caroline done in the pubs

And people packing beaches did away with going to beauty spots and holiday homes.

Only about 250 a day arrive into dublin now.

Not difficult to interview everybody, get quarantine address, copy of passport and 500€ bond.

If the garda call within 14 days and they are not there they loose the money.

At the end of 14 days they get money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

did he say the most people to die in a single day was 39 on the 7th ?Are some of today's announced deaths older information. Sorry if I picked it up totally wrong, I was not able to watch it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭phormium

A 23yr old since day one of counting, the death range has been between 23 and 105 overall is what I think was said. Don't think the 23 yr old was in today's numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That 23 year old has been mentioned on other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It's fruitless, and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Keelings are really in a jam now.

Im picking up on an under CURRANT of humour here.

easypazz wrote: »
    I would say the keelings thing will see a clampdown at airports.

Same as sweet caroline done in the pubs

And people packing beaches did away with going to beauty spots and holiday homes.

Only about 250 a day arrive into dublin now.

Not difficult to interview everybody, get quarantine address, copy of passport and 500€ bond.

If the garda call within 14 days and they are not there they loose the money.

At the end of 14 days they get money back.
    They really don't want to change their tune on that though, the airlines will probably stop being cooperative with them on issues they need assistance with. Tony quotes the example of a technician being brought in if the MRI machine breaks but I'm quite sure there's are specific areas that are not referenced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

did he say the most people to die in a single day was 39 on the 7th ?Are some of today's announced deaths older information. Sorry if I picked it up totally wrong, I was not able to watch it properly.

Something like that

The daily number is deaths registered not deaths that occurred the day before

Wonder will they hit the 100k per week of tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes. The figure we get each day is notified deaths. They're trying to speed up notification. That's important clarification we didn't get before. Highest day was 6th but more could yet come in for other days,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement