Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Another high number of deaths, can't believe a 23 year is amongst the dead!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Another high number of deaths, can't believe a 23 year is amongst the dead!

RIP to him or her but not strange if they has some illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Im picking up on an under CURRANT of humour here.

This is the currant affairs forum, so it's vine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Yeah maybe so. In science everything should be taken with a large grain of salt. He is a noble laureate in the relevant field. I wouldn't dismiss him outright just because homeopathy used something he wrote to justify the pseudoscience.

Interesting story about the person who discovered retro viruses of which corona is one. Check it out if you are not into watching trump ramble on talking nonsense and making reporters wait.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pushkin-industries/revisionist-history/e/63387220

Love this doco, Detailing the work of Prof. Luc Montagnier, (Nobel Laureate winner) water has the ability to reproduce the properties of any substance it once contained. Water would have the ability to retain a memory of the properties of the molecules. Fascinating to see.

This is the currant affairs forum, so it's vine.

sour grapes?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Love this doco, Detailing the work of Prof. Luc Montagnier, (Nobel Laureate winner) water has the ability to reproduce the properties of any substance it once contained. Water would have the ability to retain a memory of the properties of the molecules. Fascinating to see.

Deadly ill give that a watch when ive read the whole internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

All staff and residents in long term care facility to be tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

crossman47 wrote: »
    RIP to him or her but not strange if they has some illness.
    That 23 year old has been a part of the stats for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I take issue with saying someone talks nonsense because they're 87. David Attenborough is 94 next month, no problem with his mind.

i didn't say he talks nonsense because he's 87.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The way colm looks at George lee ��

Over a pint of Harp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

This 'cocooning' or 'shielding' in the UK is straight out of the 'Herd Immunity' handbook. Let the virus run wild and lock the over 70s up for 4 months or more.

I am in agreement with the sentiments echoed here.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v1

Not peer reviewed yet but fascinating at first glance.

In a nutshell serum antibody testing is just being rolled out here at the moment to see if a person is producing IgG antibodies to Covid meaning they have had the disease at some point.
    This study took over 3000 random serum samples in California over 2 days and found a prevalence of 2.5 - 4.1% indicating levels of infection were 50-85 times reported cases.

Theoretically, could mean the number of asymptomatic people in the community is much higher than initially thought. Would put the mortality rate at circa .2% effectively not much higher than the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

597 new cases +112
    44 deaths

RIP thoughts and prayers. will light a candle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Unlike those young whipper snappers Hillary, Bernie, Nancy and Mitt!

No that's the point, where are the younger politicians, or maybe why aren't they getting any traction. Way off topic it was just a thought I had.

597 new cases +112
    44 deaths

RIP thoughts and prayers. will light a candle.

why are Greece's deaths so low?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Over a pint of Harp?

If you had a pint of Harp. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hmFPBf-C8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    at least they staying at home, here you can do it in your back garden with friends anytime

Why does such nonsense appear every so often.

In that video that's potentially 4 sets of people contaminated by such stupidity. One of them could even be an essential worker.

There are no "at leasts" about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Omg New Jersey https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52314860
    17 bodies stuffed in a shed

Virginia Minnesota and Michigan reopening due to public pressure... Best of luck.

That Washington correspondent Brian O'Donovan is my favourite RTÉ personality. Brian O'Donovan for the Late Late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

This 'cocooning' or 'shielding' in the UK is straight out of the 'Herd Immunity' handbook. Let the virus run wild and lock the over 70s up for 4 months or more.

Hate to break this to you Rob, but people over seventy don't necessarily have the right to make their own health choices. For every person over seventy who unnecessarily goes out for a walk and gets infected, they are putting extra stress on our healthcare system - that's not just going to effect covid19 patients; it's going to have an effect on anyone needing healthcare services if we go past our ICU threshold. Different interests have to be balanced and frankly, not being able to go for a walk for a few months is not exactly the highest priority when we are talking about the continuity of the state's infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

This 'cocooning' or 'shielding' in the UK is straight out of the 'Herd Immunity' handbook.

Logical fail. Affirming the conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Re the infection / antibody study giving an indication that far more are infected thus mortality rates are much lower - that will be good if so. Means covid is not as dangerous to the individual.

But it also confirms that what we are seeing is a novel virus that could be quite or even very infectious, which means it is not as irrelevant to the population as a whole as say a flu virus even if it could possibly end up having a similar mortality rate.

Infectiousness is also why so many have ended up in hospitals or ICUs or as in Ecuadors case dead in the home in apparently much greater number.

The infectiousness of a new virus for which none of us had immunity is as much part of the issue with covid as the mortality rate. A lower than feared mortality rate is good - great even!- but a higher than expected infectiousness will increase overall mortality, which is what we are seeing at the moment with a 50% increase on our normal daily deaths in the Irish population.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

s1ippy wrote: »
    Omg New Jersey https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52314860

Virginia Minnesota and Michigan reopening due to public pressure... Best of luck.

That Washington correspondent Brian O'Donovan is my favourite RTÉ personality. Brian O'Donovan for the Late Late

Sorry, a "makeshift facility"

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/111554952

RTÉ news reported that they were found in a shed and I just Googled a corresponding article.

Just got the news today that it's got into my parents nursing home. Several cases and one death. Really scary times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It expressly said they found none in a shed but 17 in a morgue designed for 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

is_that_so wrote: »
    That 23 year old has been a part of the stats for a while.

So not part of today's deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Just got the news today that it's got into my parents nursing home. Several cases and one death. Really scary times.

All the best for your parents, thoughts and well wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's tough. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry, a "makeshift facility"

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/111554952

RTÉ news reported that they were found in a shed and I just Googled a corresponding article.

As the thread moves so quickly, maybe you should just edit the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So not part of today's deaths?
    I heard 23 mentioned one of the other days this week and another poster said it's been there for a while.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ditto to my mother's nursing home. Two residents confirmed cases and four staff. :( Very scary times!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Driving from my house to the supermarket, got stopped by a guard who said "where are you goin" in a very rude and accusatory tone.

Police state is here. Completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So less than half of a percent of the entire population?

Wuhan has a population of 11.5 million.

They locked the entire city in their homes for near 3 months it was tighter control than a maximum security prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

doylefe wrote: »
    Driving from my house to the supermarket, got stopped by a guard who said "where are you goin" in a very rude and accusatory tone.

Poor you.

Didn't he know who you were and how special you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Did he turn you around?

I am sure the guards are sick of it as well by now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To the supermarket guard. Job done. Police state my arse. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Doing their job is unnecessary? Or the tone?

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Have you an alternative? I have been staying put myself bar the weekly shop and I'm young enough. That's 5 weeks. If I have to do it another 4 months in the greater interest I will definitely survive it. I much prefer that than the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can't wait to see even half of the energy put into fist waving occuring against the strawberry pickers, in protesting against the arrival of a large number of UK based Irish-travellers who are coming over tomorrow for a funeral:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-on-standby-as-up-to-70-members-of-traveller-family-expected-to-travel-from-uk-for-funeral-39136756.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Wow, how did you escape.

Farmers importing workers during a lockdown, its obvious who wears the pants in this country

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

What are you saying.....

he should have know where you were going... he should have used a nicer tone... or you above the Gardai asking you what you are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

U OK hun? X xx

Post on twttier saying armed gardai on standby for traveller funeral of of to 70 people traveling from UK.

:mad:

Correct your post FFS.

Idiotic carry.

1 body in a shed. Rest in a morgue built for 4.

Stupid ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Wibbs wrote: »
    To the supermarket guard. Job done. Police state my arse. :rolleyes:

I said that, unfortunately he continued to harass me by interrogating me where I was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Get yourself a motorbike! I 've always been waved through or met with 'whats the craic' .........mind you you won't carry much shopping, I get someone else to do that

Jake1 wrote: »
    Post on twttier saying armed gardai on standby for traveller funeral of of to 70 people traveling from UK.

:mad:

armed gardai better be careful, the travellers haven't been social distancing

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Hate to break this to you Rob, but people over seventy don't necessarily have the right to make their own health choices. For every person over seventy who unnecessarily goes out for a walk and gets infected, they are putting extra stress on our healthcare system - that's not just going to effect covid19 patients; it's going to have an effect on anyone needing healthcare services if we go past our ICU threshold. Different interests have to be balanced and frankly, not being able to go for a walk for a few months is not exactly the highest priority when we are talking about the continuity of the state's infrastructure.

Ahh I see, Dr. Zhong Nanshan age 83 and Dr. Anthony Fauci age 79 would not be allowed to go for their daily jogs if they lived in Ireland.

Just as I thought.

I distinctly remember the doctor with the glasses who sits to the right of the chief medical officer saying that it was very important to get out to exercise, at the end of the presser 2 days ago.

Over 70s don't need exercise ? I don't think you would get many Geriatricians who hold that view.

Danzy wrote: »
    They locked the entire city in their homes for near 3 months it was tighter control than a maximum security prison.

Removing peoples human rights. The chinese? Nah......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Police state? I hardly see a Garda from one end of the month to the next in the normal run of things. When I do they almost always check my windscreen is decorated correctly and wave me on.

Did he make you get out of your car, present ID, search you, look for a backsheesh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Howya Gemma ya mad ting wha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement