Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see even half of the energy put into fist waving occuring against the strawberry pickers, in protesting against the arrival of a large number of UK based Irish-travellers who are coming over tomorrow for a funeral:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-on-standby-as-up-to-70-members-of-traveller-family-expected-to-travel-from-uk-for-funeral-39136756.html

Gonna go out on a limb here and say I'd be more welcoming of the Bulgarian employees than these hard workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Jake1 wrote: »
    Post on twttier saying armed gardai on standby for traveller funeral of of to 70 people traveling from UK.

:mad:

Highlights was a shambolic and incoherent "lockdown" policy we have

keynes wrote: »

I tell ye, makes me wonder why I bother staying at home and trying to abide by all the advice, when others flout , and seem to get away with crap.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

keynes wrote: »

I said it before. This lockdown is like a Benny hill sketch...

How are these people allowed travel? How are any people allowed fly here and there on non/essential business?!

I am confused with it all, as I am sure many are..have been from day 1...

Government are flipping and flopping all the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see even half of the energy put into fist waving occuring against the strawberry pickers, in protesting against the arrival of a large number of UK based Irish-travellers who are coming over tomorrow for a funeral:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-on-standby-as-up-to-70-members-of-traveller-family-expected-to-travel-from-uk-for-funeral-39136756.html

It did happen, slightly more vocal reaction as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gonna go out on a limb here and say I'd be more welcoming of the Bulgarian employees than these hard workers.

Headline says armed Gardaí will be in attendance to see if they breach restrictions. I suppose if one person goes within two metres of another you could shoot that person. Or both people. Not quite sure of the law on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Sounds like most on here would love to live in a totalitarian regime full time.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Post on twttier saying armed gardai on standby for traveller funeral of of to 70 people traveling from UK.

:mad:

LOL. Like there is any chance a guard is going to shoot a traveller.

I've been stopped by the gardai three times now. It makes me feel reassured and safe. I always make a point of thanking them for helping to save lives. Same with supermarket staff. Not all superheroes wear capes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Just got the news today that it's got into my parents nursing home. Several cases and one death. Really scary times.

OMG I hope your parents are ok

I seen on the VM1 news that some relatives with family in nursing homes are getting their news about the home on the news, I think families should be aware of positive cases in that particular home before media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

doylefe wrote: »

Nah, it's very simple. The more of a lockdown now the less of one over the next months. Or it will end up as half a lockdown one week, back to this for a few weeks, and so on. Not that people would tolerate that, but then again what are they going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 17th 2020

26 beds short in Irish Hospitals, mainly in Limerick

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

Are you for real?

A Garda stopping you to ask a question and you’re carrying on like Nelson bleedin’ Mandela...will ya go way ouha that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

I've been stopped by the gardai three times now. It makes me feel reassured and safe. I always make a point of thanking them for helping to save lives. Same with supermarket staff. Not all superheroes wear capes.

What are you on about,they arent super heroes just people doing their jobs and getting paid for it.Same goes for doctors and nurses its their job to fix and look after the ill,its their profession and they understand the responsibility.
    This superhero stuff in pure cringe worthy sycophantic dribble.

walshb wrote: »
    Are you for real?

A Garda stopping you to ask a question and you’re carrying on like Nelson bleedin’ Mandela...will ya go way ouha that!

You must admit,there are alot of people here quiet content with the sever and drastic change in the world..no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

Just got off the phone with my partner who currently lives in Georgia (batumi) they currently have just 370 cases, but the government is being proactive and today brought in new rules, they have been on a similar “lockdown” as us until recently but now anyone who enters the country is required quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel, the new rules also means no one is allowed enter or leave the city, driving is now banned except for essential workers, it’s now banned to go to cemeteries, and everyone now must wear masks inside buildings outside the home. Police are all over the streets making sure no one is going to the beach/ boulevard.
    If a country like Georgia with a lot less resources can do this, with less than 500 positive cases, then why can’t the leaders of Ireland be more proactive and do similar, especially since we are coming close to 15000

I feel we are doing the right things but always a few weeks to late, then always playing catch up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

They are the reason we see the sunset and the sunrise.

Stay brave heroes.

Dpg21 wrote: »

I feel we are doing the right things but always a few weeks to late, then always playing catch up

If you think that's bad think of us in the UK :pac:

I was within my allocated 2km zone. And yet I have the police harassing me. Disgraceful. We have willingly surrendered all civil liberties. Next they'll be knocking on your door. I'm sure the online gestapo will attack this post as they have attacked my previous ones.

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with my partner who currently lives in Georgia (batumi) they currently have just 370 cases, but the government is being proactive and today brought in new rules, they have been on a similar “lockdown” as us until recently but now anyone who enters the country is required quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel, the new rules also means no one is allowed enter or leave the city, driving is now banned except for essential workers, it’s now banned to go to cemeteries, and everyone now must wear masks inside buildings outside the home. Police are all over the streets making sure no one is going to the beach/ boulevard.
    If a country like Georgia with a lot less resources can do this, with less than 500 positive cases, then why can’t the leaders of Ireland be more proactive and do similar, especially since we are coming close to 15000

You believe the georgian numbers?

• Advertisement

I was within my allocated 2km zone. And yet I have the police harassing me. Disgraceful. We have willingly surrendered all civil liberties. Next they'll be knocking on your door. I'm sure the online gestapo will attack this post as they have attacked my previous ones.

Ok. Did the Garda who stopped you know all this before he stopped you?

You are coming across far far more unreasonable than any Garda doing his/her job..

And sorry, but it’s attitudes like yours that see that we really need law and order...

What liberties? Are you not allowed out of your house? Where would you like to go? To the shops, restaurants, gyms etc that aren't open? This isn't a rogue government taking power or imposing marshal law, it's a global pandemic which the politicians are reacting to just as much as we are. These people live and die by the economy - if they didn't absolutely have to be doing what they have, they wouldn't be doing it.

walshb wrote: »
    Ok. Did the Garda who stopped you know all this before he stopped you?

You are coming across far far more unreasonable than any Garda doing his/her job..

And sorry, but it’s attitudes like yours that see that we really need law and order...

We need "law and order" to question people going to the supermarket.

I'm sorry but you are brain washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You're getting confused, 2km radius is for exercise not shopping.

We need "law and order" to question people going to the supermarket.

I'm sorry but you are brain washed.

Seriously, give over. You’re embarrassing yourself now.

Why in god’s name would a simple stop, question, and on your way hurt:offend or inconvenience you so much?

Absolute me feiner!

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    What are you on about,they arent super heroes just people doing their jobs and getting paid for it.Same goes for doctors and nurses its their job to fix and look after the ill,its their profession and they understand the responsibility.

I hope it stays fine for you, my special little snowflake.

Speak Now wrote: »
    You're getting confused, 2km radius is for exercise not shopping.

I'm not confused. Using the 2km radius I'm pointing out how draconian these actions are.

Situation update for the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 17 April 2020 @ 08.00 hrs. CET

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-17.png?itok=k0HAQ0YR

Barchart of daily cases in Europe stuttering slowly downwards.

Still looks like the peak of the curve was at the start of this month.

It will be interesting to see how the loosening of the mitigation efforts will affect this chart over the next while.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

I don’t believe the numbers in any country to be honest, it’s impossible to know exactly how many are infected, Georgia does have quiet low testing but at the same time there isn’t many people going to the doctors or hospitals with symptoms which suggests they are low, they had the first confirmed case a few days before our first confirmed case and also with a similar size population so in my opinion they are doing very well. Also schools were closed atleast 10 days before Ireland, I know this because my partner is a teacher and is out of work for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No Covid 19 during during the Georgian era :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure any of them will have signed up to take part in a pandemic posing significant risk to their health compared to the population at large. It's priceless, even at a time like this the "little people" in society aren't deemed as worthy "it's their job, they got paid before they died you know" Yet when it comes to billionaires who have a difficult relationship with paying taxes, there's useful idiots who will bang on about them being "wealth creators". Hilarious and depressing.

I'm not confused. Using the 2km radius I'm pointing out how draconian these actions are.

I still cant get my head around how blind people are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just as it seems to be your job to whinge and moan about people who particularly in these times have to deal with ****e that the likes you would no doubt run a mile from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The 2km radius is for exercise. If you were driving, you obviously weren’t exercising. People have been told to only go out for necessities, he stopped you to check was your travel necessary.

You then threw your toy out of the pram like a baby.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Situation update for the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 17 April 2020 @ 08.00 hrs. CET

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-17.png?itok=k0HAQ0YR

Barchart of daily cases in Europe stuttering slowly downwards.

Still looks like the peak of the curve was at the start of this month.

It will be interesting to see how the loosening of the mitigation efforts will affect this chart over the next while.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
    These graphs are not good for vision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, there’s Spider-Man, Antman, Hawkeye, Captain America, Wolverine, Hulk etc. No idea why that’s even a saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sounds like you are over reacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You must admit,there are alot of people here quiet content with the sever and drastic change in the world..no?

You're confusing content with compliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yeah? Seems to me that because of people with your attitude is exactly the reason why the restrictions are in place.

• Advertisement

Of course they are more sever than we would have wished but you need a good dose of perspective.

I hear life in the USSR under the secret police was great fun.

If this was so contagious how on earth is there no trend of illness of flight crew around the world? Didnt we blame air travel for the viruses success in getting around the globe.
    Front line shop workers,are they dropping like flies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If this was so contagious how on earth is there no trend of illness of flight crew around the world? Didnt we blame air travel for the viruses success in getting around the globe.

Plenty of flight crew got Covid19

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/air-canada-flight-attendant-exposed-to-covid-19

An ill wind and all that.

:D:D:D thanks, needed the chuckle that gave me

well played

I hear life in the USSR under the secret police was great fun.

This reads like a child tired of being told what to do, even when it's in their own self interest.

• Advertisement

JAWS

7_154.jpg?resize=807x807

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Front line shop workers,are they dropping like flies?[/quote

Low quality bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People complaining about the restrictions in Ireland have no idea what a real lock down really means, what we have here is very soft

The 2km radius is for exercise. If you were driving, you obviously weren’t exercising. People have been told to only go out for necessities, he stopped you to check was your travel necessary.

You then threw your toy out of the pram like a baby.

I have an essential workers letter from employer. Being a bit cheeky and nipping around the place on it. Havent been questioned yet. :)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    OMG I hope your parents are ok

I seen on the VM1 news that some relatives with family in nursing homes are getting their news about the home on the news, I think families should be aware of positive cases in that particular home before media

Thanks, they are ok at the moment but we just have to hope it stays that way.

Yes it's shocking that any family should find out through the news. It seems to vary from one home to another. Ours has generally been quite good with communication.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement