Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    If this was so contagious how on earth is there no trend of illness of flight crew around the world? Didnt we blame air travel for the viruses success in getting around the globe.
    Front line shop workers,are they dropping like flies?

Media filled with hyperbole and populations unwilling to take responsibility and accountability have lead us here. They are just gagging to be held captive in thier own homes.

If people want to curl up in a ball in the corner of thier room for the duration of this they are free to do so. The rest of us should have the freedom to continue life as normal and take personal responsibility for the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    People complaining about the restrictions in Ireland have no idea what a real lock down really means, what we have here is very soft

The lifting of restrictions in Wuhan is still a heck of a lot stricter than our "full" lockdown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

doylefe wrote: »
    I was within my allocated 2km zone. And yet I have the police harassing me. Disgraceful. We have willingly surrendered all civil liberties. Next they'll be knocking on your door. I'm sure the online gestapo will attack this post as they have attacked my previous ones.

I have the greatest respect for the police and what they are doing to keep this country safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People complaining about the restrictions in Ireland have no idea what a real lock down really means, what we have here is very soft

Compared to what, what lockdowns have you been part of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hate to break this to you Rob, but people over seventy don't necessarily have the right to make their own health choices. For every person over seventy who unnecessarily goes out for a walk and gets infected, they are putting extra stress on our healthcare system - that's not just going to effect covid19 patients; it's going to have an effect on anyone needing healthcare services if we go past our ICU threshold. Different interests have to be balanced and frankly, not being able to go for a walk for a few months is not exactly the highest priority when we are talking about the continuity of the state's infrastructure.

What happens someone over 70 who has every chance of surviving with no major co-morbidities if we are well below our ICU threshold which we are now?

70 is not old these days, in fact 80 isn't.

Only 25 of todays deaths had underlying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Media filled with hyperbole and populations unwilling to take responsibility and accountability have lead us here. They are just gagging to be held captive in thier own homes.

If people want to curl up in a ball in the corner of thier room for the duration of this they are free to do so. The rest of us should have the freedom to continue life as normal and take personal responsibility for the outcome.
    Oh great. And if others get sick because of you? You want to take responsibility for that too? How long of a prison sentence would suffice if it kills someone?

This is the big and utter nonsense of this sort of thing. People affect other people. You are taking responsibility for others as well.

I have an essential workers letter from employer. Being a bit cheeky and nipping around the place on it. Havent been questioned yet. :)

You must be so proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Dramatised,and dare i say none will die.Any ryanair or aerlingus crew ill.. no large spread of any illness amoung the most exposed..front line workers.

This lie is on such a large scale no government will back track or admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

You know what there just has to be some truth to there being some funky chemicals in tap water or that 5G is interfering with our brains. There's just no other reason for people to become so damn stupid with how some people are going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Christy42 wrote: »
    Oh great. And if others get sick because of you? You want to take responsibility for that too? How long of a prison sentence would suffice if it kills someone?

This is the big and utter nonsense of this sort of thing. People affect other people. You are taking responsibility for others as well.

Like I said, people who don't want to get it, stay isolated. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

niallo27 wrote: »

Give us a shout when your door is welded shut from the outside because someone in your gaff coughed.

I have an essential workers letter from employer. Being a bit cheeky and nipping around the place on it. Havent been questioned yet. :)

You're F(cked if a Gard decides to call your boss who'd discovers you're taking the piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Correct - what seems to be a holiday to most. I don't think people will really understand their not doing enough until it's at their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Dramatised,and dare i say none will die.Any ryanair or aerlingus crew ill.. no large spread of any illness amoung the most exposed..front line workers.

What the absolute fvuk are you on about?

Like I said, people who don't want to get it, stay isolated. Simple.

Totally agree, stay at home. Turn on Netflix and drink some wine, I actually would not even mind paying extra tax in my wages to keep these people safe.

Temperature check everywhere.. you read anywhere outside 37c and your f(cked, you get a red sticker and the chinese stasi come in a van to take you off to a treatment centre.

Compared to a lot of countries in Europe, I dont have to be part of them to know
    In Italy people are not allowed to get out of the house unless for shopping and essential trips. Police running after people when they get caught outside, they dont have the 2km rule and no running around for exercise.

Ireland has the same number of cases per million as Italy, however Italy has been on a decreasing trend for daily cases. Ireland on the other hand...

John.Icy wrote: »
    Give us a shout when your door is welded shut from the outside because someone in your gaff coughed.

Its a timber door, how would you weld it. Where is this happening anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No illness among frontline workers after all the healthcare workers who have become seriously ill or died? Most nonsensical post I have read on this forum. I don`t know whether you re a troll or an idiot.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Temperature check everywhere.. you read anywhere outside 37c and your f(cked, you get a red sticker and the chinese stasi come in a van to take you off to a treatment centre.

Well if they are outside, how are they in lockdown.

Its a timber door, how would you weld it. Where is this happening anyway.

"Welded" with a big f9cking hammer and a box of nails then!

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-residents-welded-inside-their-own-home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I hear life in the USSR under the secret police was great fun.

You must be surrounded by cotton wool all your life if you think a few AGS checkpoints in the interest of national health upsets you.

Well if they are outside, how are they in lockdown.

If you took a few mins to think about what I was saying, the restrictions of the "lifted" lockdown in Wuhan is much stricter than what our so called "full" lockdown is in Ireland.... So people here have absolutely no right to complain that a lockdown here is harsh...

Another high number of deaths and a 23 year old among the dead.

The highest number of deaths so far, only yesterday we reached our peak and today we already went above that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aren’t you the big man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ireland has the same number of tested positive cases per million as Italy, however Italy has been on a decreasing trend for daily cases. Ireland on the other hand...

Fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The virus doesn’t care about your stupid libertarian ideology

Compared to a lot of countries in Europe, I dont have to be part of them to know
    In Italy people are not allowed to get out of the house unless for shopping and essential trips. Police running after people when they get caught outside, they dont have the 2km rule and no running around for exercise.

Ireland has the same number of cases per million as Italy, however Italy has been on a decreasing trend for daily cases. Ireland on the other hand...

It was clusters in Italy and you know this, the lockdown was far worse in these areas because of this. The current measures are working here, there is literally **** all to do and no where to go. I had to go through 2 checkpoints today to go to tesco's. Are you saying you want further restrictions. How can anyone say that not being able to travel more than 2km from your house without facing criminal protection is a soft lockdown I am not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Jake1 wrote: »
    Post on twttier saying armed gardai on standby for traveller funeral of of to 70 people traveling from UK.

:mad:

Hardly anyone coming in they said. All are self isolating for 2 weeks they said.

Hopefully its not true, but a scandal if it is.

Nothing to stop them coming of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ficheall wrote: »
    How is it a moot point? Reducing exposure means reducing the risk of infection. I know I'll have to run the gauntlet eventually, but there's no point in doing so prematurely...

It's a moot point as you said you bought an additional freezer and three months worth of food. I however gave you an example of how others have also avoided going to the supermarket and without the need of getting in to the ludicrous situation of buying a second freezer and three months worth of food. Anybody who is relatively healthy who goes to the supermarket and clears the shelves by buying 3 months supply of food or a total of 400 rolls of toilet roll has no sense of community at all. Then to boast afterwards about doing so is even more ludicrous. If we all took that approach it would be utter pandemonium.

I will also add the caveat that if someone is extremely high risk some leeway should be given but for anybody relatively healthy to do the above and boast about it is utter lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,868 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you have the virus, you are most "spreadable" before you start to show symptoms.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0869-5
    Assuming an incubation period distribution of mean 5.2 days from a separate study of early COVID-19 cases1, we inferred that infectiousness started from 2.3 days (95% CI, 0.8–3.0 days) before symptom onset and peaked at 0.7 days (95% CI, −0.2–2.0 days) before symptom onset

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Fixed your post

Italy tested 20K people per million, Ireland tested 18K per million
    In fact we could have even more non tested cases than Italy then

It was clusters in Italy and you know this, the lockdown was far worse in these areas because of this. The current measures are working here, there is literally **** all to do and no where to go. I had to go through 2 checkpoints today to go to tesco's. Are you saying you want further restrictions. How can anyone say that not being able to travel more than 2km from your house without facing criminal protection is a soft lockdown I am not sure.

Always looking for excuses to justify our numbers versus other countries. People with high level of confirmed cases per millions are taking extreme measures to slow down the infections, Ireland is now a highly infected country. The police are doing their job questioning people who are driving around or walking, still there are a lot of people who have zero respect for the restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

"Welded" with a big f9cking hammer and a box of nails then!

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-residents-welded-inside-their-own-home/

Few friends living in Spain.

One was fined 500 euro because he unnecessarily brought his daughter with him to the the garbage area of the development. About a 150m walk and he was fined by the police.

Another girl's mother was challenged by the army when returning from food shopping. They insisted on seeing her receipt and threatened to fine her as she didn't go to the nearly market and took too long to get home (based on the timestamp of the receipt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Italy tested 20K people per million, Ireland tested 18K per million
    In fact we could have even more non tested cases than Italy then

15.5% of our tests gave a positive result - we had a targeted strategy of testing the more likely positives (after a couple of weeks)

In Italy, it's less than 14% - whatever their strategy was - I'm interpreting that to mean we've caught a higher percentage of positives than they have

The UK stick out like a sore thumb on that measure! Dreadfully done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Every single time a front line health care worker goes to treat another person infected with Covid19 putting their own life at risk in order to save the patients they curse people of your ilk.

Know this.

No illness among frontline workers after all the healthcare workers who have become seriously ill or died? Most nonsensical post I have read on this forum. I don`t know whether you re a troll or an idiot.

Are you blind to the details of the numbers? Old and ill passing away,and how many doctors and nurses have passed away from this? very very few....Tesco and other food retailers are they seeing a trend in illness?
    The healthy free world is being told to stay at home,indefinably--doesn't take much to see where this is going.History is being made.

One was fined 500 euro because he unnecessarily brought his daughter with him to the the garbage area of the development. About a 150m walk and he was fined by the police.

They are more like an occupying force rather than one to protect the people, the more cynical may say that Spain is basically a bankrupt country and they are revenue raising...

Always looking for excuses to justify our numbers versus other countries. People with high level of confirmed cases per millions are taking extreme measures to slow down the infections, Ireland is now a highly infected country. The police are doing their job questioning people who are driving around or walking, still there are a lot of people who have zero respect for the restrictions

What about the vast majority of people who are following restrictions, I have hardly left my house in 5 weeks bar shopping and walk the dogs. This is not a soft lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Few friends living in Spain.

Another girl's mother was challenged by the army when returning from food shopping. They insisted on seeing her receipt and threatened to fine her as she didn't go to the nearly market and took too long to get home (based on the timestamp of the receipt).

This is an example of strict policing. Imagine what the brigade moaning about the restrictions in Ireland would have to say if that was enforced here.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    15.5% of our tests gave a positive result - we had a targeted strategy of testing the more likely positives (after a couple of weeks)

In Italy, it's less than 14% - whatever their strategy was - I'm interpreting that to mean we've caught a higher percentage of positives than they have

The UK stick out like a sore thumb on that measure! Dreadfully done!

15.5% and 14% are close numbers, it adds to the similarities between the Irish and Italian stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

George Lee jus mentioned that we are hoping to test 100,000 per day in the next few days?

Is the man mixing himself up here?

Are you allowed to insult other users directly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are you blind to the details of the numbers? Old and ill passing away,and how many doctors and nurses have passed away from this? very very few

Over 100 in Italy...

What about the vast majority of people who are following restrictions, I have hardly left my house in 5 weeks bar shopping and walk the dogs. This is not a soft lockdown.

I also follow the restrictions and I find this very frustrating too, but this is still softer than what other countries are doing. Anyway my issue is with people not following the rules, not with the ones who follow them

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

19 million at the last count!!

WOW Brilliant:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What essential work do you do?

walshb wrote: »
    George Lee jus mentioned that we are hoping to test 100,000 per day in the next few days?

Is the man mixing himself up here?

100k yes
    He said he hopes to have sampling, results and tests back to patients on a 'real time basis' within the next seven to ten days. The aim is to carry out 100,000 tests a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I find it hard to believe you're a grown up to be honest never mind an essential worker.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Every single time a front line health care worker goes to treat another person infected with Covid19 putting their own life at risk in order to save the patients they curse people of your ilk.

Know this.

They are doing their job,they chose this vocation.And they are smart enough to understand the risk attached.Stop using the word ilk you wouldn't use it in real life.

When its windy and horrendous weather thats when pilots earn their salaries..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement