Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is an example of strict policing. Imagine what the brigade moaning about the restrictions in Ireland would have to say if that was enforced here.

Exactly. This is a lock down. What is happening here is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Few friends living in Spain.

One was fined 500 euro because he unnecessarily brought his daughter with him to the the garbage area of the development. About a 150m walk and he was fined by the police.

Another girl's mother was challenged by the army when returning from food shopping. They insisted on seeing her receipt and threatened to fine her as she didn't go to the nearly market and took too long to get home (based on the timestamp of the receipt).

Can you imagine that happening here?! I think they would be a lot of scraps between the public and the Gardai if we were to ever try going down that line here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    100k yes

Per day George said.. not per week

100k tests per day to be carried out....

Is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

walshb wrote: »
    George Lee jus mentioned that we are hoping to test 100,000 per day in the next few days?

Is the man mixing himself up here?

100k a week. Which is basically the 15k a day figure they said 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

niallo27 wrote: »
    What about the vast majority of people who are following restrictions, I have hardly left my house in 5 weeks bar shopping and walk the dogs. This is not a soft lockdown.

Compare the streets of the city of Wuhan (population 11m) 2 months ago to our streets now.

This IS a soft lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

The app has been released in norway urging every person over the age of 16 to download it.The government will track your every move.Majority of locals are having none of it.

100k a week. Which is basically the 15k a day figure they said 3 weeks ago.

Ok, so he got it wrong...and Eileen Dunne wasn’t tuned in enough to query it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Be right back

WOW Brilliant:)

Make that 20!!

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    They are doing their job,they chose this vocation.And they are smart enough to understand the risk attached.Stop using the word ilk you wouldn't use it in real life.

When its windy and horrendous weather thats when pilots earn their salaries..

Post 7786.

Option 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The app has been released in norway urging every person over the age of 16 to download it.The government will track your every move.Majority of locals are having none of it.

In normal circumstances I would be against this, but at this time i think it's a great tool, probably similar solutions will be implemented here too in order to move forward. We need to find ways to live with this virus for ht next while until a vaccine is developed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ok, so he got it wrong...and Eileen Dunne wasn’t tuned in enough to query it..

cant blame her for not listening to him,really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    100k yes

If they run out of reagent again and end up with a huge backlog they really are taking the piss.

Testing has to be sustainable for 6 months at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Are you allowed to insult other users directly ?

It's allowed if the abuser has an absolutely ****e username ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    In normal circumstances I would be against this, but at this time i think it's a great tool, probably similar solutions will be implemented here too in order to move forward. We need to find ways to live with this virus for ht next while until a vaccine is developed

I for one wont be cooperating with any of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭omerin

George also said that the figure for those who passed away included those who had passed away outside the last 24 hours and that 20 died in the last 24 hours not 44.

Rest in peace to all that have passed away but we shouldn't document 44, so a slight positive all things considered

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Compare the streets of the city of Wuhan (population 11m) 2 months ago to our streets now.

This IS a soft lockdown.

Do you want a hard lock down? In Norway the state doctors read the summary of what happened in Italy.When they looked at the stats they were happy to reopen kinder gardens Monday coming and schools the following week.
    Your covid is killing the old and ill,not enough of a reason to end your economy and any type of a functioning country in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I find it hard to believe you're a grown up to be honest never mind an essential worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Dramatised,and dare i say none will die.Any ryanair or aerlingus crew ill.. no large spread of any illness amoung the most exposed..front line workers.

What? You mean that only a few weeks ago 25% of cases were not health care workers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

George Lee jus mentioned that we are hoping to test 100,000 per day in the next few days?

Is the man mixing himself up here?
    Yes. Dr. Tony said repeatedly today that its 100000 per week for the next six months

So 2.6 million in total if necessary

Starting with the nursing homes today

Seems to be a condition of removing restrictions

There is a private lab called ENFER in Naas who are now onboard and apparently process thousands of cases per day

cant blame her for not listening to him,really

Well, I can actually. I expect a little better from people in these positions..

But I get your point......!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

niallo27 wrote: »
    It was clusters in Italy and you know this, the lockdown was far worse in these areas because of this. The current measures are working here, there is literally **** all to do and no where to go. I had to go through 2 checkpoints today to go to tesco's. Are you saying you want further restrictions. How can anyone say that not being able to travel more than 2km from your house without facing criminal protection is a soft lockdown I am not sure.

Ehm...

The-Princess-Bride-the-princess-bride-3983611-500-277.jpg

Do you want a hard lock down? In Norway the state doctors read the summary of what happened in Italy.When they looked at the stats they were happy to reopen kinder gardens Monday coming and schools the following week.
    Your covid is killing the old and ill,not enough of a reason to end your economy and any type of a functioning country in the future.

The old and ill obviously having no right to life in your world. Who cares about them anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

WHO saying again that you can catch it twice, no immunity from having it once.
    Whats the point in a f*cking vaccine then ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If they run out of reagent again and end up with a huge backlog they really are taking the piss.

Testing has to be sustainable for 6 months at least.

They have enough reagent for 900000 tests and more on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I DON'T KNOW is on 3rd base!

Ce he sin wrote: »
    The old and ill obviously having no right to life in your world. Who cares about them anyway?

Can we not keep them safe and provide for them whilst they are in isolation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The WHO have come out tonight and said that an antibody test could be pointless as there is little evidence that people who have had the virus have gained the antibodies required to fight off the virus.

Not sure what that means for a vaccine, but in terms of natural immunity, well it seems it isn't something we can rely on. At least not based on the evidence to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Have you a link to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I'm feeling so sorry for anyone on this thread and in the whole country that has a relative living in or working in a nursing home right now. What's unfolding is incredibly sad. Just checking rip.ie for my own county is so depressing. Be of no doubt, the residents are dying in the homes, not in hospital. It's stated in the death notices.

I had a phone call with a person whose role involves facilitating communication between the HSE and nursing homes in our region yesterday. She said her opinion is that the biggest misstep so far is not recognising in advance that the nursing homes would be the real front line. Why did we not see this coming when it had already happened elsewhere?

I sincerely hope that the new measures being taken can minimise the toll this monster of a virus will have within Ireland's care homes.

Sad, sad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

doylefe wrote: »
    I was within my allocated 2km zone. And yet I have the police harassing me. Disgraceful. We have willingly surrendered all civil liberties. Next they'll be knocking on your door. I'm sure the online gestapo will attack this post as they have attacked my previous ones.

Only your mummy can help you now.

Have you a link to that?

here you go

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52319956

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Map of deaths in the east and midlands
    map4.jpg

Link to other areas of the country here
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/04/17/under-the-microscope/

I think this is a really negative interpretation of what they have said.

They've said some people are getting immunity, but not large numbers (based on evidence so far). If some people are getting immunity then I don't see why a vaccine won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They are doing their job,they chose this vocation.And they are smart enough to understand the risk attached.Stop using the word ilk you wouldn't use it in real life.

When its windy and horrendous weather thats when pilots earn their salaries..

You really need to see the real world.

I've spoken to a young nurse this week, and another with over 30 years experience, and they are well aware what their jobs are but are struggling to see several of their patients die every day. This is not normal. This is not how outcomes in hospitals should be. None of them chose to work with inadequate resources, excessive understaffing and dealing with such a sustained onrush of severe cases. They didn't sign on to have their faces scarred from the constant wearing of masks and goggles. The risks are way beyond what anybody anticipated. You and your ilk need to cop on and spare a thought for the younger nurses, in particular, who are seeing four or more patients die every day despite them doing all their training had prepared them for.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    The WHO have come out tonight and said that an antibody test could be pointless as there is little evidence that people who have had the virus have gained the antibodies required to fight off the virus.

Not sure what that means for a vaccine, but in terms of natural immunity, well it seems it isn't something we can rely on. At least not based on the evidence to date.

If true, that's not encouraging for the "herd immunity" fans either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But there is evidence, even news reports from just a few hours ago stating that people do produce anti bodies and that testing is detecting them in larger numbers than previously thought

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibody-research-coronavirus-widespread/story?id=70206121

They asking recovered people to donate plasma to help treat current patients also as there suggestions from China this treatment is successful. What are the WHO playing at putting out contradictory reports?

Ce he sin wrote: »
    If true, that's not encouraging for the "herd immunity" fans either.

Definitely not.

Of course it could be the WHO trying to direct governments away from such a policy.

I don't know where to start with how wrong this is
    1. Old and ill are our family members and deserve to be protected the same way as you would expect if you were ill
    2. Covid kills people of every age and health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

They've said some people are getting immunity, but not large numbers (based on evidence so far). If some people are getting immunity then I don't see why a vaccine won't work.

Yeah but if they weren't as grim and bitter as possible when posting it they wouldn't be able to get the dopamine rush I assume it gives them.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I've spoken to a young nurse this week, and another with over 30 years experience, and they are well aware what their jobs are but are struggling to see several of their patients die every day. This is not normal. This is not how outcomes in hospitals should be. None of them chose to work with inadequate resources, excessive understaffing and dealing with such a sustained onrush of severe cases. They didn't sign on to have their faces scarred from the constant wearing of masks and goggles. The risks are way beyond what anybody anticipated. You and your ilk need to cop on and spare a thought for the younger nurses, in particular, who are seeing four or more patients die every day despite them doing all their training had prepared them for.

He needs to grow up
    Thanks for adding some perspective, it's amazing how some people are still in total denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Be right back

Nicely put, thanks. Very true words.

A vaccine depends on large numbers getting immunity, not just some though. A slightly effective vaccine is almost as good as useless as people will be lulled into a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Map of deaths in the east and midlands
    map4.jpg

Link to other areas of the country here
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/04/17/under-the-microscope/

Its cases not deaths. Easily available in the HSE stats

Its sad,but from the numbers its elderly and sick.Average age is 80? 40 persons per day spread over how many hospitals,or are they dying in old folks homes? reports of quiet hospitals and nurses being sent home doesnt really sound correct?
    When there is no money left.What will happen?

Media filled with hyperbole and populations unwilling to take responsibility and accountability have lead us here. They are just gagging to be held captive in thier own homes.

If people want to curl up in a ball in the corner of thier room for the duration of this they are free to do so. The rest of us should have the freedom to continue life as normal and take personal responsibility for the outcome.

So if your found to have infected someone outside your family what punishment would you accept?

For example a hacker I know of made sure that the people who joked and laughed about his dad being attacked were nearly destroyed financially, would you be happy with that if you infected someone?

As for your other posts you sound like a child.

Incredibly worrying if true. Have you a link would like to see that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sounds like most on here would love to live in a totalitarian regime full time.

Ahhh Gemma tis yourself.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    But there is evidence, even news reports from just a few hours ago stating that people do produce anti bodies and that testing is detecting them in larger numbers than previously thought

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibody-research-coronavirus-widespread/story?id=70206121

They asking recovered people to donate plasma to help treat current patients also as there suggestions from China this treatment is successful. What are the WHO playing at putting out contradictory reports?

I hadn't seen that.

It could be a political play by the WHO to try and persuade governments not to end their lockdowns prematurely.

Or the WHO are correct and those scientists in California are putting too much emphasis on antibody tests that may be unreliable.

Take your pick!!

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Incredibly worrying if true. Have you a link would like to see that report.

BBC news headline

Seems to be more an opinion than fact if I read it right

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement