Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ce he sin wrote: »
    What? You mean that only a few weeks ago 25% of cases were not health care workers?

As of yesterday cases to date. Percentage is not changing.

510016.png

510017.png

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/COVID-19%20Epidemiology%20report%20for%20NPHET%2016.04.2020_website.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    BBC news headline

Seems to be more an opinion than fact if I read it right

Cause it is, its more of a we dont know yet and they're telling countries to put their resources into fighting it and not to get side tracked by putting huge money into anti body tests that might not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

The Polio vaccine is showing promise as a preventative measure and alot of patients are responding well to remdesivir has been used to help rapid recovery of many patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Tony on the Late Late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Its sad,but from the numbers its elderly and sick.Average age is 80? 40 persons per day spread over how many hospitals,or are they dying in old folks homes? reports of quiet hospitals and nurses being sent home doesnt really sound correct?
    When there is no money left.What will happen?

What the hell are you talking about.? Is this just being contrary for the sake of it?

Beaumont is rushed off it's feet with severely and critically ill patients. They are short a couple of hundred nurses due to illness or quarantine.
    Sad? You think it's sad? It's a tragedy! And will have long lasting impacts on many lives when we get through this. But you rant away and play the hard chaw from the safety and comfort of your own home. I'll leave you to your skewed view of how our society should function at these times.

Thank goodness for the Ignore option here ...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Howya Gemma ya mad ting wha.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Ahhh Gemma tis yourself.
    Attack the post, not the poster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I actually agreed with some of your points R, but this:
    Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    The cfr is going to be as low as the normal flu.
    Eh no. Game Over. Best case it's five times as deadly, currently it's running way way above that. Oh and five times as deadly would be a CFR of around 0.5. Currently the stats are saying 3 to 4.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Will there be sanctions against the space bar key?

Well, all pubs are closed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Need to stop asking Tony Holohan to lift restrictions. Hes under enough pressure. Lifting them early in May is completely unrealistic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

This thread has completely gone to the dogs, constant venomous bickering the last few days. The impact of weeks of restrictions is clearly affecting quite a few posters mentally......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

New Home wrote: »
    Well, all pubs are closed. :pac:

Ah here don't be mentioning pubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

wadacrack wrote: »
    Need to stop asking Tony Holohan to lift restrictions. Hes under enough pressure. Lifting them early in May is completely unrealistic

he looks like he has been spending time in the sunshine anyway, must need time to unwind from the extreme pressure he is under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

he looks like he has been spending time in the sunshine anyway, must need time to unwind from the extreme pressure he is under

Doubt if he sees any sun. I'd say its make up.

doylefe wrote: »
    I was within my allocated 2km zone. And yet I have the police harassing me. Disgraceful. We have willingly surrendered all civil liberties. Next they'll be knocking on your door. I'm sure the online gestapo will attack this post as they have attacked my previous ones.

It’s not your zone, it’s the distance you must remain inside for your daily excessive. Otherwise with the exception of shopping, medical appointments or essential work stay at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,216 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tony saying Ireland would be fully prepared to go down the antibody test route but he doesn't think an appropriate test is available yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

crossman47 wrote: »
    Doubt if he sees any sun. I'd say its make up.

He'd be to busy for that FFS.

walshb wrote: »
    George Lee jus mentioned that we are hoping to test 100,000 per day in the next few days?

Is the man mixing himself up here?

George really needs taking off our screen. He is numerically illiterate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The highest number of deaths so far, only yesterday we reached our peak and today we already went above that

The deaths are spread out over many days. Peak so far is 39 on April 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

He'd be to busy for that FFS.

No. Its needed for TV

Dr. Tony Holohan was talking on the Late Late Show about the R0 number being between 4 or 5 (Flu is 1.3). That is extremely infectious. Would that imply covid more airborne than previously thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seems the number of daily deaths is actually declining, which suggests the numbers announced every night were registered days previously:

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1251251739195592706

WHO saying again that you can catch it twice, no immunity from having it once.
    Whats the point in a f*cking vaccine then ?

That is not what they said at all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

George really needs taking off our screen. He is numerically illiterate

It's quite entertaining listening to him in the daily briefing though as he gets more and more confused

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy tested 20K people per million, Ireland tested 18K per million
    In fact we could have even more non tested cases than Italy then

How many times do you need to be told that Italy are testing more in hospital settings than community so are more likely to have more cases than Ireland. This is reflected in deaths.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dr. Tony Holohan was talking on the Late Late Show about the R0 number being between 4 or 5 (Flu is 1.3). That is extremely infectious. Would that imply covid more airborne than previously thought.

Thought he communicated quite well there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are people honestly saying we should follow chinas approach with regards to a lockdown. All reports are showing we are doing well, hospitals are not overrun yet people on here want further restrictions.

Stheno wrote: »
    It's quite entertaining listening to him in the daily briefing though as he gets more and more confused

I can see that, but it’s amazing how much store some older people put in what he says

Seems the number of daily deaths is actually declining, which suggests the numbers announced every night were registered days previously:

I dont see today's 44 if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That does align very well with these numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1IMavHMFAT59NaRmSJxfHIVxAhiT46CmzL0tj0Esqalc/htmlview#

There has also been a steady ~40 deaths the last 4 days running and that is entirely absent from that graph.

I can see that, but it’s amazing how much store some older people put in what he says

Actually you're right, I was a bit glib

Fergal Bowers appears much more measured

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are people honestly saying we should follow chinas approach with regards to a lockdown. All reports are showing we are doing well, hospitals are not overrun yet people on here want further restrictions.

No.

But it does put into context some of the winging on this thread about our civil liberties being trampled all over just because there are Garda checkpoints throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Only time will tell but am enclined to think so.
    Of course on the positive side if it was so infectious it's highly likely that a large % have already got it and are immune.
    All speculation for the moment

Just to add.

Or maybe its because it seems a tough little bast**d. It seems to last a long time on various surfaces. I really don't want to think it can linger in the air for ages and you can become infected by breathing the same air as someone 10 or 15 mins later. Or that is is spread by breath and not necessarily a cough or sneeze.

You can be ultra careful washing hands and not touching your eyes, nose or mouth. But if you can catch it breathing the same air as an infected person in a shop or work environment. Then that is a nightmare.

The daily figure at the briefing is deaths reported in the past 24 hours. Some of these were actually a number of days ago. The chart show trend by actual day of death. It does look encouraging, however some caution needed as it suggest there may be additional deaths for the last few days that have as yet not been reported.

If they are now showing this chart however it would suggest they have confidence in the underlying trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just to add.

Or maybe its because it seems a tough little bast**d. It seems to last a long time on various surfaces. I really don't want to think it can linger in the air for ages and you can become infected by breathing the same air as someone 10 or 15 mins later. Or that is is spread by breath and not necessarily a cough or sneeze.

You can be ultra careful washing hands and not touching your eyes, nose or mouth. But if you can catch it breathing the same air as an infected person in a shop or work environment. Then that is a nightmare.

Thats why everyone should wear a mask or facial covering of some description when out in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Just to add.

Masks for all on the 6th of May, or stay home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The daily deaths reported are the deaths reported in that time although they may have happened on different days. That chart shows the deaths on the day they happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Only 20 actual in the previous 24 hours, the other 24 are from a while back but only notified today.

So we peaked 10 days ago at 39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

easypazz wrote: »
    Only 20 actual in the previous 24 hours, the other 24 are from a while back but only notified today.

If we have peaked, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can't understand where the American media is getting 60k deaths in the US from Covid . CNN just had a doctor saying updated model showing 60k deaths by 4 August this year. Am I missing something? . They'll be at 40k by sunday. So only another 20k deaths in the next 4 months. Doesn't make sense, 100k maybe but 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I don't want more restrictions.

BUT... I expect the 'powers that be' to check and quarantine people at the airport (or on boats) and not keep topping up the virus here with probable spreaders from the UK or elsewhere.

The BBC were saying earlier tonight that it has the potential to be worse than Italy there.

That and mask wearing in public... like all the best practice Asian countries do.

No.

But it does put into context some of the winging on this thread about our civil liberties being trampled all over just because there are Garda checkpoints throughout the country.

That's fair enough but on the other hand you cant say that not being able to travel more than 2k from your house is not fairly strict. First time in my life I cant go where I want, of course there will always be places worse than us but this notion that this lockdown is soft is plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where did you see its 20 from today?
    Wasn't watching the late late if it was said there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't want more restrictions.

BUT... I expect the 'powers that be' to check and quarantine people at the airport (or on boats) and not keep topping up the virus here with probable spreaders from the UK or elsewhere.

The BBC were saying earlier tonight that it has the potential to be worse than Italy there.

That and mask wearing in public... like all the best practice Asian countries do.

Are you used to wearing masks ?

The daily deaths reported are the deaths reported in that time although they may have happened on different days. That chart shows the deaths on the day they happened.

Why are not being shown that chart, what's wrong with them giving us some postive news.

• Advertisement

Why are not being shown that chart, what's wrong with them giving us some postive news.

Presented today at press conference. Screen shot posted a page or two back

Is this formally published anywhere?

Where did you see its 20 from today?
    Wasn't watching the late late if it was said there

Post #7888

joe_99 wrote: »
    Presented today at press conference. Screen shot posted a page or two back

The daily figures posted on rte news make things look worse

The daily figures posted on rte news make things look worse

Its a bit like including the German tests, they make it look bad but weeks old.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement