Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Think they had more a test to see if it was needed could be wrong......was is mandatory in Ireland? could be wrong again .......but I had the marks on both arms, one as a baby and another booster in school

Between 1953 and 2005, every UK child aged 10-14 got the BCG vaccine - strangely, no info about what age Irish children were vaccinated at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCG_vaccine#Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Funny.

I'm a person who doesn't get stressed at all, or so I think, but I am WFH.

And still, I find myself more relaxed these days, despite my worries for my parents and others. We also have been more in touch than usual though.
    It is the slower pace of life these past few weeks. A lot of people will come of this with a new perspective. Hopefully this is the death of bloggers and influnencers though i see some of clinging on for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Discodog wrote: »
    Be straight with people. He said that they didn't want to give the gardai extra powers & then 24 later did exactly that.

He then stressed that it was only for the Easter weekend but then extended them for three weeks.

He's promised over again about testing but it's still a mess.

He started so well but is now reverting to the man who was thrown out by the electorate.
    He never stressed it was ONLY for the Easter weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

wakka12 wrote: »
    It seems like that to me too, seems to go almost undetected for a very long time and then over the course of week an entire country is overwhelmed

I also find it strange that despite the worldwide lockdowns,and almost all countries worldwide escaping an epidemic until at least March, and now almost every country in the world is experiencing a major epidmic amidst a very harsh lockdown. Its odd that hardly any countries experienced large outbreaks when travel/lifestyle was completely unrestricted

That is because of the window of un-detection that the virus can spread through.
    Symptom free for 4-7 days. Most countries that started their lock downs were already in the window period of infection. Plus, many people didn't abide by the recommendations, then the rules - hence the spread.

Just because there is a quarantine in situ in Spain, Italy, France etc doesn't mean that people are obeying the rules of quarantine either. Multi generational households are worst effected for obvious reasons. All it takes is one careless individual in that house to come back, or even one unlucky individual to go shopping and pick it up innocuously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Funny.

I'm a person who doesn't get stressed at all, or so I think, but I am WFH.

And still, I find myself more relaxed these days, despite my worries for my parents and others. We also have been more in touch than usual though.

I'm surprised that in spite of everything that is going on around me, I'm amazingly chilled.
    I don't normally deal well with situations outside my control. I have family member that I'm concerned about, like everyone else but maybe slowing down a gear or two is not a bad thing, there might be a lesson there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Coronavirus: Brazil's president rejects COVID-19 as a 'little flu' and ignores distancing rules
    The right-wing leader has compared COVID-19 to a "little flu" and publicly attacked governors who introduced quarantine measures.

Will brazil be one of the worst hit countries? With all those slums the disease could score big!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Shane O' Malley
    @shane_malley
    Holohan asked 7pm last night how many tests went to Germany answered roughly 16000, Harris asked same question this morning answered 25 to 35000, who is kidding who?

Numbers seem to be coming from the tooth fairy .

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Big shout out to the concannonbots, how ye all doin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Our closest neighbour. The UK is the new Italy. It's heartbreaking.

Was it ever realistically going to be any other way considering the insane herd immunity policy that the Johnson government implemented and didn`t reverse until the virus had been allowed to spread through the population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Coronavirus: Brazil's president rejects COVID-19 as a 'little flu' and ignores distancing rules
    The right-wing leader has compared COVID-19 to a "little flu" and publicly attacked governors who introduced quarantine measures.

Will brazil be one of the worst hit countries? With all those slums the disease could score big!

He'll be impeached if/when things get bad. Already talk about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

UK are at 145 deaths per million and they aren't counting deaths outside hospitals. We're at 58 and are counting all deaths . That's some difference.

Is that a rhetorical question? Absolutely certain that it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Brazil is already hit hard, it had it's first death just over 3 weeks ago and now over 1000 people have died as of this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Think they had more a test to see if it was needed could be wrong......was is mandatory in Ireland? could be wrong again .......but I had the marks on both arms, one as a baby and another booster in school

Do these marks fade? I can't find them on my arm. I was born in the 80s, so I should have gotten the vaccine as a baby. I remember getting a vaccine in school but I don't remember what it was. I think I was in fourth class. But I can't find these marks.

Do these marks fade? I can't find them on my arm. I was born in the 80s, so I should have gotten the vaccine as a baby. I remember getting a vaccine in school but I don't remember what it was. I think I was in fourth class. But I can't find these marks.

That vaccine in 4th class in the 90’s was MMR as far as I remember . I can check my kids records if you like
    They got BCG in the maternity hospital I think

cnocbui wrote: »
    He'll be impeached if/when things get bad. Already talk about it now.

He shouldn`t be the only head of government to be impeached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brazil is already hit hard, it had it's first death just over 3 weeks ago and now over 1000 people have died as of this morning

Officially. Given Bolsorano s response of who cares if people die it would not be surprising if they have had a lot of unaccounted for deaths. It has been the drug gangs enforcing social distancing there. Impressive to care less about human lives than violent drug gangs but Bolsorano never ceases to behave like scum.

Almost 200 more cases in Singapore today, combined over the last 3 days it has reported around 700 new cases.45% increase on national total in 72 hours

119 of the cases reported this morning have no known links to any existing infected people or clusters..this is what will happen when any country relaxes restrictions
    https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/coronavirus-191-new-cases-of-infection-in-singapore-90-year-old-man-becomes-8th-covid-19?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-04-11%2022%3A04%3A13

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rebeve wrote: »
    Shane O' Malley
    @shane_malley
    Holohan asked 7pm last night how many tests went to Germany answered roughly 16000, Harris asked same question this morning answered 25 to 35000, who is kidding who?

Numbers seem to be coming from the tooth fairy .

Holohan said 16,000 came back from Germany.

• Advertisement

I just checked . All three of mine were born in the 80,s . They were given a BCG vaccine at 5 days old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Irish times leading with death toll in uk but no report on death toll in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Sorry to ask this but are daily deaths counted from 12pm to 12pm the next day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Authorities in Moscow say pandemic is reaching crisis points as medical infrastructure reaches capacity

'The number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-moscow-putin.html
    Any chance you can post the text of the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

science guy on BBC radio 5 just now saying the virus is airborne and can hang about in the air for hours.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Any chance you can post the text of the article?

Its not paywalled or anything?

But anyway sure
    MOSCOW — The authorities in Moscow said on Friday that coronavirus cases are increasing rapidly here and have already pushed the city’s health care system to its limit.

Warning that the outbreak in the Russian capital was far from reaching its peak, Anastasia Rakova, a deputy mayor responsible for health, said that the number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.

The city’s mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, sounded a further alarm, saying that the virus “is gaining momentum” and that “the situation is becoming increasingly problematic.”

A flurry of bad news on Friday about the outbreak indicated that Russia, relatively spared until now from the ravages of the virus, has started on the same harrowing path taken weeks ago by hard hit countries like Italy and now the United States. This has dashed hopes in the Kremlin that its decision in late January to close Russia’s long border with China, the original source of the virus, and then limit travel from Europe had contained the outbreak.

President Vladimir V. Putin, who usually takes the lead with great fanfare in times of crisis, has mostly stayed in the background. He has retreated to his country residence outside Moscow, leaving Mr. Sobyanin, the mayor, and Russia’s prime minister, Mikhail Mishustin, to take the heat for a health crisis that now looks set to get far worse.

ImageA patrol at the 18th century Kuskovo Memorial Estate in Moscow on Friday. The horsemen trace their tradition to the Cossacks who guarded czarist Russia’s frontiers.

Ms. Rakova, the Moscow official, warned that the capital’s ambulance service and hospitals were now stretched to the limit. The virus has also started to wreak havoc in Russia’s vast hinterland, where the ramshackle health system seems to be contributing to the spread of the pathogen.

Hospitals in at least two regions are already overwhelmed by infected patients. In Syktyvkar, the capital of the Komi oil-producing region northeast of Moscow, the main hospital has more than 200 infected people, while scores of medical personnel and more than a thousand patients at a hospital in Ufa, 700 miles east of Moscow, have been ordered not to leave the premises after 170 people there tested positive.

Deviating from previous official assurances that Russia is well prepared for a possible crush of patients, the health minister, Mikhail Murashko, on Friday warned that the country’s health care services were now “experiencing stress regarding supplies,” including the supply of personal protection equipment and ventilators.

And with Mr. Putin having scored a propaganda coup recently by sending planeloads of such medical supplies to a variety of countries, including the United States, the reports of shortages could become a sore point.

With little good news to celebrate on earth, Mr. Putin on Friday spoke with Russian and American astronauts on board the international space station, congratulating them on their safe arrival in space aboard a Russian rocket launched on Thursday. Keeping his distance from the coronavirus crisis, Mr. Putin also chaired a teleconference about Russia’s aerospace industry.

Moscow reported 1,124 new cases of confirmed coronavirus infections on Friday, bringing the total in the city to 7,822, compared with more than 80,000 in New York City. The authorities in the Russian capital, which accounts for two-thirds of all cases in the country, last week ordered residents to stay at home except to buy food and medicine and to walk their dogs within 100 yards of their residence. But eager to avoid too much disruption to the economy, they have done little to enforce the restrictions.

Police cars drive around the city broadcasting a message appealing to “dear citizens” to stay indoors, and the mayor, Mr. Sobyanin, has made increasingly insistent calls for Muscovites to follow self-quarantine rules. On Friday, he warned that Moscow was still “somewhere at the base of the peak” and needed to prepare for “a serious test ahead.”

After weeks of debate about the accuracy of official figures, an official letter to Moscow hospital directors leaked online and seemed to support allegations by Kremlin critics that Russia’s relatively low coronavirus figures were not true. The letter, signed by the head of Moscow’s health department, Aleksei Khripun, acknowledged that testing had been compromised by a “very high number of false results” that masked the true extent of Covid-19.

Anastasia Vasilieva, the head of an independent doctors’ union, has accused the government of downplaying the number of cases by deliberately misclassifying Covid-19 as pneumonia. She was detained last week in what was seen as punishment for puncturing an official narrative that everything is under control.

But Russia’s health minister, Mr. Murashko, has himself since come close to acknowledging widespread misclassification. In an interview on state television, he said that patients with pneumonia will from now on be treated in the same way as those confirmed as having coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-moscow-putin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

UK are at 145 deaths per million and they aren't counting deaths outside hospitals. We're at 58 and are counting all deaths . That's some difference.
    You think we are counting all deaths. As you can see if you read this thread we are being told lies.

froog wrote: »
    science guy on BBC radio 5 just now saying the virus is airborne and can hang about in the air for hours.

This was already known.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just drove by Fairview Park and lol

Social distancing my foot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

froog wrote: »

We're all fuked so :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement